Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Samizdata posted:

So far the only real one I have seen is not to reuse passwords.

Oh, so if I've got a unique keepass password like "HtnnZO3hLNDRCMZ5tut8" I'm probably okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My password is hunter2

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
My password is dadada

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PCOS Bill posted:

Just can't wait to make that %.001APY!
Yeah, keeping a truckload of cash in checking may not make much sense, but savings accounts are pretty worthless these days also.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yeah, keeping a truckload of cash in checking may not make much sense, but savings accounts are pretty worthless these days also.

Credit union CDs aren't the worst, I'd rather float 10k for a year in a CD and earn .8 - 1% depending on your CU rather than having it sit and do absolutely nothing in checking.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
E: Actually, not funny. I shouldn't try to be witty at 3 in the morning :saddowns::coffee:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 10, 2016

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Crowley posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Chrome Remote Desktop?

It works fairly well, I use it to connect to my desktop from my phone when I'm out of the house or too lazy to get up. The main annoyance I have with it is I can't seem to send modifiers or special keypresses (like ESC) so it becomes difficult to quit certain games when you can't pull up a menu or Alt+F4.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does it still choke on UAC prompts?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
So when I've basically got the entirety of administration questioning why I haven't fired my employee yet, including my boss, is that a sign that I'm just a terrible judge of character? Should I just fire the guy?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
At a certain point you can't let his gently caress-ups lead to your own firing. So you should probably just get it done.

However, before you fire him, let them know you need a replacement for him. Don't let them stiff you on that. Since I could really see them telling you to fire him as a way to cut budget rather than him actually being that terrible.

Get clearance for replacing him in writing before you poo poo can him.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

ErIog posted:

At a certain point you can't let his gently caress-ups lead to your own firing. So you should probably just get it done.

However, before you fire him, let them know you need a replacement for him. Don't let them stiff you on that. Since I could really see them telling you to fire him as a way to cut budget rather than him actually being that terrible.

Oh no, I've been told to have a job posting ready to go for the second I make the decision. He's on vacation this week. Monday is the unveiling of the new IT department. He'll get two weeks to prove himself.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So far from what I've seen of this TeamViewer scare it was people reusing passwords from the LinkedIn, Ashley Madison, etc breaches. So long as you didnt reuse a password and you know, lock your computer when away, you should be fine.

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh no, I've been told to have a job posting ready to go for the second I make the decision. He's on vacation this week. Monday is the unveiling of the new IT department. He'll get two weeks to prove himself.

Hasn't he already proven himself to be useless over a much longer period? What do you think is going to magically happen in two weeks?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

So when I've basically got the entirety of administration questioning why I haven't fired my employee yet, including my boss, is that a sign that I'm just a terrible judge of character? Should I just fire the guy?

Judging by that places track record... I'm inclined to think you should probably be doing the opposite of whatever they suggest.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

DigitalMocking posted:

Credit union CDs aren't the worst, I'd rather float 10k for a year in a CD and earn .8 - 1% depending on your CU rather than having it sit and do absolutely nothing in checking.

Local credit union has a savings account at 1.25%, ally.com and Charles Schwab have a 1% account, if you qualify the best one by far is BCU with a tiered savings account that goes up to 2.5% (used to be 5%, starts at 1.25% then goes up to 2.5% after the money has been sitting in it for a year).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

I know you said he's got some personal poo poo going. And trust me, I know how that is. But he's had plenty of time to straighten out, it's time to let go. It's going to suck and you're going to feel terrible.

Time to be a manager.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

flosofl posted:

I know you said he's got some personal poo poo going. And trust me, I know how that is. But he's had plenty of time to straighten out, it's time to let go. It's going to suck and you're going to feel terrible.

Time to be a manager.

Pretty much this.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hasn't he already proven himself to be useless over a much longer period? What do you think is going to magically happen in two weeks?

And this.

The only reason I've been keeping him around is that I've been so unfamiliar with our systems and he at least knows how things work around here. Now that I've gotten my foothold and I'm completely reworking everything to my own design, I'm seeing less and less reason to keep him around. Hell, the other day I caught him sleeping in his office. Like, not that he dozed off sitting up; he literally pulled two chairs together so he could lay down. I should have sent him home that second and told him not to bother coming back in.

Teach me how to be an uncaring selfish rear end in a top hat, guys.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Do you still have CE's number?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

MisterZimbu posted:

:drat: That's rude, Zimbu.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

MisterZimbu posted:

:iceburn:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Is that my fate?

Will I wake up and realize that to be successful I have to become that which I hate?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

larchesdanrew posted:

Pretty much this.

And this.

The only reason I've been keeping him around is that I've been so unfamiliar with our systems and he at least knows how things work around here. Now that I've gotten my foothold and I'm completely reworking everything to my own design, I'm seeing less and less reason to keep him around. Hell, the other day I caught him sleeping in his office. Like, not that he dozed off sitting up; he literally pulled two chairs together so he could lay down. I should have sent him home that second and told him not to bother coming back in.

As long as you have done your duty of making sure that his firing isn't a surprise then you have done enough.

Any manager that fires and employee for sucking without proper write ups/counseling/etc is a loving coward.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sickening posted:

I remember overdraft protection being this scam for poor people. I would prefer my dept card to not go through if I don't have the funds instead of paying 35$ for every small transaction I made when I accidentally left too little money in my checking. I can bare the shame of getting a transaction declined.

But then again I use a credit card because I like being able to have total protection from theft and fraud.

Arsten posted:

You're confusing three concepts (which is understandable because banks live for that):
Overdraft Protection is when you pull from another standing account to cover for an account that is short by some amount.
Overdraft Credit is an actual line of credit that you dip into at Credit-Card-like rates and usually pay some sort of fee ($1-$5 is what I've seen) per transaction for using it. You get this only if you have basically perfect credit.

This last one is what the poor people get, and it has no common term and each bank calls it something different (a few call it straight up "Overdraft Protection" to your face with different terminology you sign against) - and that's where you get charged $35+ for each non-bank charge that hits your account when it goes negative. This is the scam one that kept the banks in profit through both the 2002 and the 2009 crises.

This combined with scum bag practices is why I left Citizen's Bank for a local credit union. The fuckers at Citizens would see multiple charges hitting your accoutn on the same day and take out the largest amount first. If that put you in the negative, they hit you with "overdraft protection" for every transaction that you were in the negative for thereafter. The actual incident was when I had 3 small charges and 1 large charge set to come out of my account on the same day. The 3 smaller charges were from transactions in the days prior and the large charge was from an automated bill that was set to come out that day. I'll fully cop to the fact that I was stupid and was going to overdraft, there's no debating that there. However, had the charges gone through chronologically, like a sane person would expect, I'd have had enough in my account to cover all but the large charge and therefore only had to pay one overdraft fee. Instead, they put that through first, which just barely overdrafted me, then put through the other 3 transactions, which hit me with a total of $140 in overdraft fees for going $40 into the negative.

The day it happened, I walked into the bank and spoke with 3 different people. Each one telling me there was "nothing they could do" to reverse any of the fees. I politely closed my accounts and went to a credit union. Apparently Citizen's Bank got hit with a class action lawsuit recently for pulling that poo poo for years. About loving time.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Sickening posted:

As long as you have done your duty of making sure that his firing isn't a surprise then you have done enough.

Any manager that fires and employee for sucking without proper write ups/counseling/etc is a loving coward.

I think he knows the threat is looming. He's been accosted several times by the director and I've mentioned more than once how he really needs to shape up. He asked me a while back if he could use me as a reference if anything should happen.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

I think he knows the threat is looming. He's been accosted several times by the director and I've mentioned more than once how he really needs to shape up. He asked me a while back if he could use me as a reference if anything should happen.

Sounds like he knows what's coming then. If you're going to actually give him a couple weeks, and you feel really really bad about firing him, then I guess you might wanna pull him aside and just kinda hint in a friendly way that hey, you might wanna polish up your resume and start hunting, man. Or not. You're not obligated to say anything ahead of time.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

larchesdanrew posted:

Is that my fate?

Will I wake up and realize that to be successful I have to become that which I hate?

Nah, you can be a successful manager and still not be THAT bad. I've seen lots of people pull it off. My best managers have accepted that at some point, all of their employees will hate them. The good, smart employees will hate them only temporarily, until they have a good think, look at the big picture, and understand that a decision was made. The really good ones will figure out WHY a decision was made, but hey, let's not be too optimistic here, if they accept the first part you're already winning.

The lovely employees will never get over it and will hate you forever and dwell on petty nonsense (most of which they cause), and are hopeless anyway.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

spankmeister posted:

My password is hunter2

It's what? I only see stars, like *******.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

It's what? I only see stars, like *******.

Haha, that's cool! Let me try.

Go buffalosareactuallyprettycool32 your buffalosareactuallyprettycool32, you stupid buffalosareactuallyprettycool32!

Does that look funny to anyone else?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MisterZimbu posted:

Not like he'd pick up anyways, probably too busy giving the GM a hand beezy to try to keep his job

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Haha, that's cool! Let me try.

Go buffalosareactuallyprettycool32 your buffalosareactuallyprettycool32, you stupid buffalosareactuallyprettycool32!

Does that look funny to anyone else?
Hahaha. Looks like you're swearing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DigitalMocking posted:

Just get a Money Market savings account, ~1% returns without your money being completely locked up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

neogeo0823 posted:

Sounds like he knows what's coming then. If you're going to actually give him a couple weeks, and you feel really really bad about firing him, then I guess you might wanna pull him aside and just kinda hint in a friendly way that hey, you might wanna polish up your resume and start hunting, man. Or not. You're not obligated to say anything ahead of time.

Not just a friendly one, under the new IT regime you give him a written "two weeks to fix this stuff or you're out" notice. Then there's no bitching later when :commissar: inevitably happens.

And get started on that job posting.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Send him towards your old gig, make sure the GM and/or CE knows that he comes with your blessing.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Send him towards your old gig, make sure the GM and/or CE knows that he comes with your blessing.

:laffo: "Son, it doesn't seem like you want to be concerned with much. I know of a perfect position where you can aspire to nothing, be unassertive, lack any sort of accomplishment, and be completely accepted by your boss."

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

that's definitely entrapment

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

The only reason I've been keeping him around is that I've been so unfamiliar with our systems and he at least knows how things work around here.

This is what you say in response to why you didn't fire him. You did not have proper documentation of the systems. You now do and will be getting rid of him as he is not up to the standards of %school%.

If you don't get rid of him you just encourage this to continue. A heads up in IT can really end up biting you in the rear end. If you tell him "2 weeks and you are gone" he might plant a timebomb script, or just straight up gently caress with your stuff. I've seen places with a 2 week policy tell IT people to just not come in and they will still get a pay check for the 2 weeks. No matter how well you think you know someone some people do really messed up thinks on the emote of getting fired even if they see it coming.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

All the terrible managers I've had have shared a similar quality: they were too afraid to deal with inappropriate employee behavior because of the potential for confrontation or hurt feelings. Telling people no is hard, disciplining or firing them is even harder. Don't be a lovely manager, be firm but fair with your employee. Go over with him what he is doing wrong, show him what he can do to improve, and give him a timeline he needs to meet for improvement. If he does not improve, fire him. If he does improve, give him a pat on the back and then draw up more milestones for him to meet.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Oh, so if I've got a unique keepass password like "HtnnZO3hLNDRCMZ5tut8" I'm probably okay?

I would imagine so. Although for maximum security, might I suggest changing it to "hunter12"?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MisterZimbu posted:

Holy loving poo poo you may have just killed 2 birds with one stone...

Stay with me here... How do you solve world hunger and homelessness?
Feed the homeless to the hungry.

So how do you get rid of this lazy guy, and fix all of the TV station's problems so that they don't call you ever again?
Feed him to the station.

Edit: beaten

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 10, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It should be noted that after the hack teamviewer implemented new security where if you try to sign in from a new IP address it will require a confirmation email before it even lets you sign in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Khisanth Magus posted:

It should be noted that after the hack teamviewer implemented new security where if you try to sign in from a new IP address it will require a confirmation email before it even lets you sign in.

What, Google Authenticate was too hard?

• Locked thread