Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roland Jones posted:

How Endeavor handles his new position going forward will be interesting. He's a completely repugnant human being, of course, but how he reacts to finally "achieving" his goals and what he just saw should be interesting. Also interesting will be how the manga handles him; hopefully Horikoshi doesn't go too far trying to make him sympathetic or something.

Endeavour dragged a woman into a loveless marriage for the purpose of turning her into a brood mare; locked his wife in a mental asylum once she had produced a child with the combination of quirks he wanted; beats / physically abuses the chosen child; and neglects the other children who didn't inherit the right mix of quirks. How do you even begin to make someone like this into a sympathetic character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jintor
May 19, 2014

what little glimpses we had of shoto's siblings seems like their life wasn't worse for having Endevour stay the gently caress out of it

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

Endeavour dragged a woman into a loveless marriage for the purpose of turning her into a brood mare; locked his wife in a mental asylum once she had produced a child with the combination of quirks he wanted; beats / physically abuses the chosen child; and neglects the other children who didn't inherit the right mix of quirks. How do you even begin to make someone like this into a sympathetic character?

I'm not saying it's possible. I'm saying the opposite; it is a bad idea to try, because Endeavor is a monster worse than quite a fewmost of the villains we've seen, and Endeavor's internal monologue last chapter seemed like it might be an attempt at that, which has me a bit worried that we'll see another attempt to put him in a positive light in the future.

Edit: Hell, which villains are worse than Endeavor? All For One is the only one I can say for sure at the moment. Shigaraki has worse goals but as a person I think he might actually be better, if only because he's a sheltered, broken manchild who was taken in by the worst villain ever at a young age with the express purpose of turning him into a weapon against All Might and later hero society as a whole; it's hard to hold him to the same standard as a grown man who deliberately and knowingly did... Well, everything you just listed and then some.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 10, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's fine, I am more annoyed that every time this comes up it turns into a dick waving competition.
Like getting all smug and superior about the current discussion without actually contributing to it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Like getting all smug and superior about the current discussion without actually contributing to it?

It's okay I forgive you

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tails Gets Trolled is a bonafide great American comic, however.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What about garbage like Scott [pop culture reference] Pilgrim

That's Canadian

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

I'm not saying it's possible. I'm saying the opposite; it is a bad idea to try, because Endeavor is a monster worse than quite a fewmost of the villains we've seen, and Endeavor's internal monologue last chapter seemed like it might be an attempt at that, which has me a bit worried that we'll see another attempt to put him in a positive light in the future.

Edit: Hell, which villains are worse than Endeavor? All For One is the only one I can say for sure at the moment. Shigaraki has worse goals but as a person I think he might actually be better, if only because he's a sheltered, broken manchild who was taken in by the worst villain ever at a young age with the express purpose of turning him into a weapon against All Might and later hero society as a whole; it's hard to hold him to the same standard as a grown man who deliberately and knowingly did... Well, everything you just listed and then some.

Stain's a serial killer which is pretty bad.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Space-Bird posted:

I definitely do not know much about american cape comics. I'd like to, but it's just so tough to get into, and I'm more interested in an academic sense at this point, because I never grew up with it.

Nah, it's pretty easy now days. Instead of long stretches of serialization most American comics are now written with an eye toward individual stories. All Marvel Comics come with a catch up summary, and there's lots of options for both super hero and non-super hero books. You can read them monthly if you want, or wait for a single serialized story to be collected and sold, like Sherlock Holmes stories were. There's shitloads of options beyond just Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and the X-Men, you've just got to take a second to look.

So instead of just jumping in during a multi year torture arc like Spider-Man's Clone Saga, you can just go pick up a whole story at once. Maybe go with a more serialized format by getting one of the collections that are basically the comics version of tankobons. Most continuous comics have around 2 of those come out every year that contain a single story made up of around 6 issues. Writer changes drive most of the stuff, and outside event comics it's a lot more like short term team ups of specific creative teams.

Or you can go pick up a direct to tpb one shot, one of the many biography or non-fiction releases by various companies, a self contained What If/Elseworlds book, maybe one of the many horror, romance, or comedy collections. Comics are a lot different than they were when everything had a foil variant cover that if you collected them all formed a single image.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SirKibbles posted:

That's Canadian

North America then, same difference really.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What about garbage like Scott [pop culture reference] Pilgrim

Yeah, can you imagine if manga did that.

You'd have some loving fantasy manga where some bastard goes around fighting King Diamond in the kingdom of Iron Maiden with his powerful spell, Black Sabbath.

Or just naming people and their powers seemingly at random after classic western rock. Just awful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's okay I forgive you

Shut up

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tunahead posted:

You'd have some loving fantasy manga where some bastard goes around fighting King Diamond in the kingdom of Iron Maiden with his powerful spell, Black Sabbath.

Or just naming people and their powers seemingly at random after classic western rock. Just awful.

unironically agreed

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Scott Pilgrim is a story about a loser who sucks, it's fun

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

JosephWongKS posted:

I'm not sure but by most WSJ standards he's almost certainly going to get some sort of redemption at some point even though nothing should redeem what he did.

Todoroki going back to learn from him is really kinda offputting honestly. I wouldn't think there was anything I'd want to learn from the guy, even if he was #2 based on sheer psychotic effort.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Dude is still the second ranked hero. Endeaver is a complete rear end in a top hat. But he's a talented rear end in a top hat. Todoriki specifically stated. He's just using has fast amount of experience and talent to better himself.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Aurora posted:

Scott Pilgrim is a story about a loser who sucks, it's fun

No Scott Pilgrim is bad because the author likes things and makes repeated reference to the things he likes. If you like things and mention them in your work, you're supposed to do so in a detached satirical way so people will know you consider liking things beneath you. Only uncool losers find sincere enjoyment in some aspect of the full scope of human culture, which is poo poo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Like the author of this manga thinks American super heroes are cool.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm well aware there's plenty of American comics outside the stereotyped big two mould, in fact I read and enjoyed one recently (Bitch Planet, it's about as different to MHA as you can get while still being a riff on a genre), but they're still a heavy weight in the centre of the industry.

Mordaedil posted:

Like the author of this manga thinks American super heroes are cool.

hosed up, imo.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

But this is a bit of a silly conversation to have in a thread about a manga directly inspired by superhero comics, so instead I'll invert the BSS manga sampler thread and ask comic readers what cape stuff people who read MHA might enjoy.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Scott Pilgrim is good, and so is My Hero Academia

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

They put AFO in a Lecter Chamber. That's just asking for trouble.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I guess this superprison people can apparently be put into without trial is MHA's version of Tony Starks pocket-dimension prison for evil muties.

Though I dunno how they think they can keep AFO contained after he heals up.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Fabricated posted:

I guess this superprison people can apparently be put into without trial is MHA's version of Tony Starks pocket-dimension prison for evil muties.

I imagine the prison warden is gonna have to be briefed on what exactly AFO is. You just have to keep a guy with any quantity of unknown quirks in prison, guys. No pressure.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fabricated posted:

I think when they've got him on camera blowing up half the city and beating the poo poo out of a lot of big name heroes including the biggest one, it's pretty much judge-jury-executioner on the spot.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I think when they've got him on camera blowing up half the city and beating the poo poo out of a lot of big name heroes including the biggest one, it's pretty much judge-jury-executioner on the spot.

This isn't Judge Dredd or the United States, so I think he's safe.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was going to say "if this was the US that last bit would be literal" but I didn't want to start a potential derail. :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Tunahead posted:

Well...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Japan has the death penalty. I'd be interested to see if that gets applied to especially major supervillains.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JosephWongKS posted:

A bigger, even sweeter flaming beard is a step in the right direction.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Didn't one of the omake's say Endeavor was originally a teacher, but it would've made that "side" too powerful? I think that's a pretty clear indication of where the story will go.

As for AfO, who knows if they could even actually execute him enough to make it stick..

LostRook fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 10, 2016

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

Given how involved and physically present Endeavour was with his son's life, I'm pretty sure he qualifies as father of the year :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The conflict between Todoroki and Endeavor actually reminds me a great deal of the one between Elan and Tarquin in Order of the Stick? You've got an Evil Father who wants his son to do Hero Things, and in the process, build the father's legacy, and a son who wants to do Hero Things for his own reasons, but isn't sure how to accomplish this without validating Evil Father's Ambitions.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
You know given that AFO was some sort of Quirk mob boss in the past, and that they shoved him into a cell with no trial or anything, makes me think AFO pulled some strings to get himself quietly released.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LostRook posted:

Didn't one of the omake's say Endeavor was originally a teacher, but it would've made that "side" too powerful? I think that's a pretty clear indication of where the story will go.

As for AfO, who knows if they could even actually execute him enough to make it stick..

I don't think Endeavor is going to become a villain, he seems to have the same philosophy that Bakugou has where villains are losers and heroes are winners. Otherwise I don't see why he'd have been a hero in the first place or care about rankings - That's the attitude of someone obsessed with competition and being recognized for being the best, and villains are pretty clearly "not the best" in the MHA world and are mostly the territory of petty criminals or people with societal grudges.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Countblanc posted:

I don't think Endeavor is going to become a villain, he seems to have the same philosophy that Bakugou has where villains are losers and heroes are winners. Otherwise I don't see why he'd have been a hero in the first place or care about rankings - That's the attitude of someone obsessed with competition and being recognized for being the best, and villains are pretty clearly "not the best" in the MHA world and are mostly the territory of petty criminals or people with societal grudges.

He might not become a villain by MHA's own terms, but he could easily become a villain, as in "antagonist", on a meta level.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Countblanc posted:

That brings up a really interesting point. It's kind of why All Might being a pillar is so important. Endeavour and Baku are kinda like the dudes who would end up petty warlords because they have power with no moral center, in an All Mightless world.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Endeavor will probably either remain this side character that provides development for Shouto but sorta mellows out/fades into the background or he'll get a redemption arc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

Given how involved and physically present Endeavour was with his son's life, I'm pretty sure he qualifies as father of the year :v:

frog dad is dad of the year actually

even if it weren't by default as he and endeavor are the only two we've actually seen iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manatee Cannon posted:

frog dad is dad of the year actually

even if it weren't by default as he and endeavor are the only two we've actually seen iirc

You're forgetting Ochako's father.

Edit: Oh, and Shigaraki's father. We've been seeing him a lot. Part of him, at least.