Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know what's going on here any more. I recognize nothing.

So here's a Rick and Morty thing I did a while ago for Season 2's premiere. I'll probably do one for Season 3.

That's really good, let's hope season 3 gets here soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thanks! I think it's coming in December.

So I'll have to do a Christmas themed one. Canonically correct, of course. So no Rick

CelticPredator has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Jun 10, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

snucks posted:

In a masterstroke of game design Blizzard created an Irritating Livestream Teen character class

I wish she was like that ingame. For the most part she's just really boring and cringey. The hardcore little poo poo part of her character is almost entirely a creation of the community.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm never going to play Overwatch, but I love every piece of fanart involving this strange Dorito child and her many moms.

:same:

Whatever this character actually is she'll never live up to MLG-toddler.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN5Oa_WdjjM

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Well I play Overwatch and have no loving clue why everyone is infantalizing D.Va and pairing her with Doritos. What am I missing?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

She's a literal pro esports gamer.

So Doritos.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Alris posted:

Well I play Overwatch and have no loving clue why everyone is infantalizing D.Va and pairing her with Doritos. What am I missing?

The infantilizing is because she is a gamer, and thus an adult child.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Alris posted:

She uses cringey gamer lingo excessively in addition to what's already been said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrbxoSfYba8

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Bluhman posted:

She uses cringey gamer lingo excessively in addition to what's already been said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrbxoSfYba8

Ah alright, I never play her so I missed that side of her personality.

I mainly stick with Mercy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I don't play Overwatch, but I have seen the ads and stuff.

You have the option to play as a gorilla, a hindu robot, a cyborg cowboy, or a muscly Russian lady and y'all are choosing to be a professional gamer?

Silly goons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't play Overwatch, but I have seen the ads and stuff.

You have the option to play as a gorilla, a hindu robot, a cyborg cowboy, or a muscly Russian lady and y'all are choosing to be a professional gamer?

Silly goons.

Well, you can switch whatever character you're playing anytime mid match so it's not like you're locked into it.

Also, do you not see that sweet robot she pilots?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiberius Thyben posted:

The infantilizing is because she is a gamer, and thus an adult child.

Isn't most of the cast also 30+ making her the youngest member at 19? So while everyone else is mostly some sort of hero, she's a lovely gamer kid. She's obviously designed to be obnoxious so I like the direction the fanart took

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish she was like that ingame. For the most part she's just really boring and cringey. The hardcore little poo poo part of her character is almost entirely a creation of the community.

Well really Overwatch is one of the few times that the fan interpretations of the cast is genuinely better than how they actually are, due to most of them being super generically written.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dorito Gremlin is fun as hell to play, that's why people like her

The fact that she's literally a Korean StarCraft player who got drafted because sentient robots destroyed the mech control system her country relied on to defend itself is just funny

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Black Mage Knight posted:

Well really Overwatch is one of the few times that the fan interpretations of the cast is genuinely better than how they actually are, due to most of them being super generically written.

Seriously, I took a gander at the character bios before this game got popular, and it was like capcom wrote this poo poo

It actually makes sense because like in the old days, capcom writing was bottom of the barrel in quality and still is, but in the old games nobody cared because the game itself was good

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Black Mage Knight posted:

The non-human characters are probably the most interesting as they all have unique, in world reasons to be there. Who and what Bastion, Zenyatta, and Winston are tell interesting stories about where they came from and what the world is like. McCree is just the Man with No Name.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What would you change about them to make them more interesting?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RareAcumen posted:

Well, like I said I've never played the game but if I had to guess I'd say: give them better written dialogue.

The characters all seem to have intresting designs and concepts, but from what I've heard via cultural omomis things they say in game and in the character videos are pretty cliche and dull.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly, the D.Va gremlin and Father: 76 personalities are good places to start. D.Va being a petulant twitch narcissist fits the character of a wildly successful pro-gamer who never really had to learn how to get along with people or what to do when she didn't get her way. 76 being overly concerned with the well being of his teammates lets on that he places a lot of blame on himself for the fall of the original Overwatch, and gives him more empathy than just "grim, tough, CODBLOPS man". Him being awkward and forceful show that he's uncertain of how things are going to work out and he's scared of screwing up again.

Also make Reaper a huge nerd because I love the juxtaposition of overly serious characters being obsessed with completely frivolous things. Give me a level where you get to see his hideout and his desk is covered in Gundam Masterclass models or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well, like I said I've never played the game but if I had to guess I'd say: give them better written dialogue.

The characters all seem to have intresting designs and concepts, but from what I've heard via cultural omomis things they say in game and in the character videos are pretty cliche and dull.

I was kinda asking for anyone who'd actually decided they cared enough about why people are shooting each other to read the lore to chime in.

Like, I don't know what the story of Street Fighter is that well and I've even had someone float the idea of Ken and Ryu's rivalry and bringing that more to the forefront since Ryu's obsessed with being the strongest fighter to the point that he has to actively suppress his drive to win because he's almost willing to kill his opponent, and here's his rival who doesn't take training nearly as seriously as he does who's still his equal despite the fact that he went out and got married and had a family and he's still a match for him.

So I was kinda hoping someone would have some kind of actually concrete idea of how someone's story could be actually improved on besides just saying it's generic and leaving it like that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A lot of the ingame dialogue and mid-fight banter is pretty funny/charming and I think that's where the fan interpretation got most of their ideas. The character bios are well, bios, so they hardly contain any "character" if that makes sense.

I'm just happy that the internet went with "lovely gamer child", "kind caring soldier dad", "bunch of moms" etc. because it's really cute and a nice break from the usual ~fan canon~ of "we gotta make everything edgy and hypersexualized".

:dva:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RareAcumen posted:

So I was kinda hoping someone would have some kind of actually concrete idea of how someone's story could be actually improved on besides just saying it's generic and leaving it like that.

Well here's one of the problems with Overwatch's writing; its trying to be two separate things at once. The backstory for the game is this more serious story about fallen heroes rising back up to save the world from crisis. Okay, what does this have to do with the actual game? Absolutely nothing. Nothing you do in Overwatch has to do with all this backstory. Some of your objectives have connections to the backround story but they are very flimsy. They also create weird problems; peaceful robot monk Zenyatta will help deliver an EMP bomb to genocide a bunch of other robots living under a city. Doesn't really make much sense, does it?

Basically Blizzard has created a world that doesn't mesh with the actual game at all so that kind of fucks up the writing from the start. A bunch of these characters have super serious backstories and connections to the other characters but none of that will ever amount to anything meaningful because of that. I think the best way Blizzard could of handled it would be too have the missions always be tied to the background story, but make them more sensible. Have them be things that you could see Overwatch trying to do, but also a reason why people wouldn't want them doing it because of their shady background. Basically create scenarios where you could reasonably see why the heroes would be on either side of the fight.

As it stands Blizzard kind of hosed up any chance of that working by having a character who's entire backstory is "GRRR I HATE OVERWATCH gently caress THEM" but will happily push along the payload to help restart the Overwatch program.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inkblot posted:

Honestly, the D.Va gremlin and Father: 76 personalities are good places to start. D.Va being a petulant twitch narcissist fits the character of a wildly successful pro-gamer who never really had to learn how to get along with people or what to do when she didn't get her way. 76 being overly concerned with the well being of his teammates lets on that he places a lot of blame on himself for the fall of the original Overwatch, and gives him more empathy than just "grim, tough, CODBLOPS man". Him being awkward and forceful show that he's uncertain of how things are going to work out and he's scared of screwing up again.

inkblot posted:

Also make Reaper a huge nerd because I love the juxtaposition of overly serious characters being obsessed with completely frivolous things. Give me a level where you get to see his hideout and his desk is covered in Gundam Masterclass models or something.

Yeah sorry, haven't seen a ton of that. Mostly just this.

Internet Kraken posted:

Well here's one of the problems with Overwatch's writing; its trying to be two separate things at once. The backstory for the game is this more serious story about fallen heroes rising back up to save the world from crisis. Okay, what does this have to do with the actual game? Absolutely nothing. Nothing you do in Overwatch has to do with all this backstory. Some of your objectives have connections to the backround story but they are very flimsy. They also create weird problems; peaceful robot monk Zenyatta will help deliver an EMP bomb to genocide a bunch of other robots living under a city. Doesn't really make much sense, does it?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Basically Blizzard has created a world that doesn't mesh with the actual game at all so that kind of fucks up the writing from the start
As it stands Blizzard kind of hosed up any chance of that working by having a character who's entire backstory is "GRRR I HATE OVERWATCH gently caress THEM" but will happily push along the payload to help restart the Overwatch program.

I feel like this argument is a bit weird, I mean, you can also have 12 of the same man running around shooting each other (himself?) and so on. The gameplay is just.. gameplay. It's the oldschool approach, if you will.

The characters and stages are based on an overarching lore ("hey, it's this place where this thing happened" and "it's that woman who did these things") but ultimately it has nothing to do with the arcade style way the game actually plays. If you wanted "lore compliant" gameplay you would have to change the entire game to something different and I'm glad they went with this approach instead

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its fine if they want arcadey gameplay but then the story should of been designed to match that. That's what TF2 did when it developed its story. Overwatch's story is at odds with the actual game so its a mess.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Its fine if they want arcadey gameplay but then the story should of been designed to match that. That's what TF2 did when it developed its story. Overwatch's story is at odds with the actual game so its a mess.

Is TF2 the only game that actually made a situation in which you can have eight of the same character fighting each other on the same team and have it make sense?

Do any of the other big multiplayer games have a story that makes the gameplay make sense? Dota, HoTS, Smite, whatever else is popular right now? ...Uncharted multiplayer?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Internet Kraken posted:

Overwatch's story is at odds with the actual game so its a mess.

It's really not.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Wasn't Overwatch originally an MMO, and then they switched it to a FPS when they realized that MMOs are a dying genre?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

i haven't played it in years because please don't play mobas, but dota 2 was full of endearing characters and good writing. TF2 as well, now that i'm thinking about it. Blizzard is just inept at writing charming, or even just plain believable characters. I couldn't tell you the first thing about anyone's personality in Overwatch and it's not for lack of Blizzard trying.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A N T I M A G E

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RareAcumen posted:

Is TF2 the only game that actually made a situation in which you can have eight of the same character fighting each other on the same team and have it make sense?

Do any of the other big multiplayer games have a story that makes the gameplay make sense? Dota, HoTS, Smite, whatever else is popular right now? ...Uncharted multiplayer?

I have no idea about most of those but in Dota 2 the supplementary lore didn't really come at odds with the way the game played. For the most part though, the characters in Dota 2 weren't as generic so there was less need for their to be extra chances to show off their character. Of course given that there were dozens of them there were some that weren't great, but Valve just has stronger writing than Blizzard overall.

The point I'm trying to make is, Blizzard went with very generic archetypes for a lot of their characters. So for those characters to really be interesting they need to give them more depth, but with the way Overwatch is setup you're not gonna get that.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's really not.

You literally have characters doing stuff that goes directly against all their interests for the sake of the game. How is it not?

EDIT: fucks sake this isn't even an Overwatch thread I need to stop talking about this

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Jun 10, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Overwatch is homestuck

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Overwatch is homestuck

homestuck is good????????

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone draws that dorito girl the same way. I don't know what it is, but it's very annoying to see.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

Everyone draws that dorito girl the same way. I don't know what it is, but it's very annoying to see.

why would you change what is perfect

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

They're ripping off Bkub, the guy who does those weird dada touhou comics

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Pomp posted:

why would you change what is perfect

Maybe she should be eating Pringles instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I kinda get it. But it seems like the same image is being posted over and over.

• Locked thread