Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Firebert posted:

https://twitter.com/BrianPShea/status/741028653916557312

actual dorky Dad Geralt

(hey they remember Iorveth exists!)

Zoltan is Mr. T now and I'm glad of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If Iorveth is there I wonder if they'll be announcing a W2 release on PS4/Xbone or something.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Just finished BaW, so end stuff talk: Ended up getting the reconcile ending, which while 'nice' did seem a little saccharine. The angle I was leaning towards was understanding Syanna's plight but at the same time not excusing it. At the judging scene that at least implied it was headed in that direction. One of my main concerns was the idea that the last thing you need is a monarch losing her poo poo over loss and making stuff bad for her subjects (again). Overall I really enjoyed Blood and Wine. Some random observations:

- Regis is wonderful and charmingly annoying at times. He comes across as one of few examples of 'good' in the world that isn't also naive.

- The whole area in general is a wonderful escape. I liked that it was for the most part a genuinely nice land, and despite first-guesses wasn't built on the bones mass-produced orphans.

- Doubt it was intentional, but it was both fun and funny for The Land of a Thousand Fables to bae like playing a twisted version of Kingdom Hearts.

- Witcher vampires are cool. Forget Meyer, Rice or any of those kinds. This is some Alucard level poo poo, and I like that the more you probe, the more disturbing and alien you realise they are.

- Fun sidequests, which like the main game don't feel perfunctory.

- A house. :allears: waiting for upgrades to be finished was a nice touch.

- The small smile to the camera at the end was an amazing way to end what's been a fantastic game throughout.

All in all Witcher 3 has been one of my favourite game experiences ever. I appreciate the 1st and 2nd games, but Wild Hunt feels like a series in itself. With the expansions included there is so many and varied things to do and see, with great characters in a world that feels 'authentic' in a way few others do. Looking forward to playing it again in the future to see new things, and really looking forward to Cyberpunk.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
oh my god did somebody just say something nice to me? Did...did somebody just say something nice about Witchers?

What the gently caress is up with Toussant? Are these people happy or something?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Vampires in this setting are weird. They don't even need to have a body, they're like a standing wave of objectionable existence.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I haven't played this game in forever, so I restarted a new save. Was in some old ruin fighting ghosts looking for Griffin school gear when suddenly I come across this horrific man-bat. I was handling it pretty easily until it suddenly got ganked by this huge level 20 tree-man. I was only level 11, so it took forever to whittle him down but I killed the bastard. What a fun fight. This game rules.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Defecatin' to the sunrise. Downright glorious.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Is there any way I can get good at fighting crowds of downers and other masses? It's easy to chip away at some mega dude but as soon as it comes to swarms I regularly die on the 2nd hardest mode. Is there some trick I am missing? Seems like I can't dodge out of trouble and igni etc don't really do much to calm the situation down.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Marzzle posted:

Is there any way I can get good at fighting crowds of downers and other masses? It's easy to chip away at some mega dude but as soon as it comes to swarms I regularly die on the 2nd hardest mode. Is there some trick I am missing? Seems like I can't dodge out of trouble and igni etc don't really do much to calm the situation down.

Whirl is great later on, Fast Attacks in general are what I stick with. Cat Style and all the talents that boost fast fighting, then yrden and axii upgrades (because aard and igni aren't nearly as good as people seem to think) supported me throughout the whole game.

Also, the footwork talent is mandatory, it makes you invulnerable while dodging. Most people forget about the quick step dodge too, it's usually as good or better than the roll. You just have to pick off parts of the group and move in slowly.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Marzzle posted:

Use dodge instead of roll when you can because you don't regen stamina when rolling. Then keep quen up as much as you can, and don't let them surround you. Then just dodge in and out taking swipes with your sword here and there. Use oils, bombs, and any other tools you need. Fight dirty!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Footwork talent does basically nothing. Your dodge has iframes by default.

For large groups just use Quen and hit and run a lot. Most of your other signs don't really get useful for large crowds until you can pump up your sign intensity a fair bit. Get an enemy isolated, fast attack once or twice and then back off. The early game on the higher difficulties is pretty poorly balanced in that at level enemies will take several more hits to kill than later on and you don't really a ton of options but once you hit level 10 or so and craft your first Witcher set things get a lot easier.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Marzzle posted:

Dancing Star bomb = entire group of drowners on fire, can pick off 2-3 before it wears off. Repeat.

You can cheese their AI if they are too hard, just run away, and eventually they will turn around and walk back, shoot your cross bow at one and it will come to you by it's self. Can do this over and over.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Even with combat builds don't neglect Igni, it can be really helpful against groups.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is the baron's unique card Sigmund Dijkstra? I can't play against him and that red tick in my Velen Players quest is bugging the poo poo out of me, but I did find that card in his office.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Is the baron's unique card Sigmund Dijkstra? I can't play against him and that red tick in my Velen Players quest is bugging the poo poo out of me, but I did find that card in his office.

Believe it is yes. I have the same red tick. You learn to live with it eventually.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Found the horse spirit quest. Oh my god this game

Weird thing happened to me. when I got back to the hermit and spoke to her there was a panther spirit chilling right next to her at 10% HP. It attacked as soon as the dialog finished. Maybe a side effect of me instagibbing a bunch of them in the fight with freezing aard?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tirranek posted:

Believe it is yes. I have the same red tick. You learn to live with it eventually.

I guess. I'm not really all that interested in Gwent frankly but oh my god that red tick

Also, "Sheesh... students." lmbo i didn't know nietzsche was a man of the witcher universe

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Normally in games I don't give a poo poo about this sort of thing but I love wandering around doing random exploration and finding neat stuff along the way (and sometimes accidentally finishing quests; see above). Then at any time when I tire of that I can go back and immerse myself in the writing and performance of the side and main quests

this game is pretty good

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I just want to say how much I appreciate that Roach sounds like she comes straight from the depths of the most annoying parts of SoCal.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Marzzle posted:

You're not alone; drowners, wolves and ghoul packs are among the hardest enemies all game. I suppose it's realistic that numbers count for a lot in W3's fast-paced combat system but it's aggravating. My advice is to be mobile and aggressive. Geralt is tied with a couple rare monsters for the fastest thing in the game, so if you are in the open you have control of the fight. If you're in danger of being surrounded, retreat or otherwise move. Use your mobility to isolate and kill enemies. A dead drowner is a drowner that you don't have to dodge while trying to fight his buddy. Always be moving, striking, or nailing a riposte. Defense is for chumps in this game.

This advice also goes for fighting humans, and anything else that travels in packs. Except those loving spiders from Hearts of Stone.

If you're just starting, be aware that you can still run while in combat, just use the usual run button. Quen is a solid starting sign that forgives your mistakes. Get light attack damage upgrades to kill enemies faster in challenging group combat. Alchemy is really good in this game but you might not have the materials to see a meaningful boost from green skills if you're just starting out.

Always remember that you're the fastest combatant.* "Many against one and even a Witcher's done" is repeated a few times throughout the game for a reason. You never have to be where you are, isolate enemies through movement. Eventually it'll come naturally and group fights will be much easier. You will come to hate and fear groups of humans in enclosed spaces.

*In fact you're so fast you can literally dodge circles around a human opponent with a little practice.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 10, 2016

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Marzzle posted:

Yrden, sidestep the charges, roll only if you are getting surrounded (with the aim to get all enemies on one side again or at least get some distance). Know that enemies in a pack are opportunistic so don't wail too long on someone or the others will try and attack while you are busy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Quen is for chumps, real witchers use yrden as their defence.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yrden is for chumps with grandma reflexes and no thumbs. Real Witchers chug a brew.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Real Witchers chug 2-3 decotions(manticore armor is so OP), oil up, and just murder poo poo with a sword and bombs.

Alchemy tree supremacy!

This is why this game is so cool, there is like at least 3-4 different ways to play Geralt.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 10, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alchemy isn't a real option on the PS4 on account of the menus taking so goddamn long to load.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So I can't be assed trawling through hundreds of pages, but did anyone find out what the secret ending to the main story you needed to have finished BaW for was?

Also I'm determined to complete my Gwent deck but I'm like four cards short. 1/2 left in each region +
1 to be won from a player of 'no special renown'. I've done all the named player quests so I guess that means one left to win and I need to buy the rest? No idea where though, feels like I've combed everywhere twice over.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

ThomasPaine posted:

So I can't be assed trawling through hundreds of pages, but did anyone find out what the secret ending to the main story you needed to have finished BaW for was?

There isn't one.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm sure I remember reading that there was some crossover thing that would have your decisions in BaW influence the main game's plot or vice versa from one of the devs. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm sure I remember reading that there was some crossover thing that would have your decisions in BaW influence the main game's plot or vice versa from one of the devs. Maybe I'm misremembering.
It's choices you make in the main game, mainly who your romantic interest is and if Ciri is a Witcher or not .

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

dyzzy posted:

Found the horse spirit quest. Oh my god this game

Weird thing happened to me. when I got back to the hermit and spoke to her there was a panther spirit chilling right next to her at 10% HP. It attacked as soon as the dialog finished. Maybe a side effect of me instagibbing a bunch of them in the fight with freezing aard?

Might be, that unified health bar requires the panther spirits to be spawned somewhere on the map, so I spawn them next to the hermit's hut. If one of them somehow bypassed the death mechanics, they might still be present.

In retrospect I should spawn them somewhere totally inaccessible. Next time.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

ThomasPaine posted:

This is from a widely reported "leak" that was not so much a "leak" as "bullshit on reddit". Seriously, go back and read that post, it's either wrong (secret ending, bone sword), so vague as to be effectively meaningless (brotherhood of the wolf vibe), or information that could be gleaned from data mining our patches (armor dye).

WontGetFooledAgain
Nov 5, 2012
I'm only at the Brothers in Arms quests, but can I just start the BaW DLC just to unlock the Mutations? I would try to skip as much of the other DLC content as possible. I'm using enemy scaling so the combat isn't a problem.

I won't be missing out on any good story stuff will I?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WontGetFooledAgain posted:

I'm only at the Brothers in Arms quests, but can I just start the BaW DLC just to unlock the Mutations? I would try to skip as much of the other DLC content as possible. I'm using enemy scaling so the combat isn't a problem.

I won't be missing out on any good story stuff will I?

Enemy scaling only goes up, not down, so you'd need to play a decent chunk of comparatively high-level content to get to the mutations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I have a strong aversion to Yrden after meeting Sile de Tansarville in The Witcher 2. "TRAP IT WITH THE YRDEEEEEN." Yes, thank you. Didn't get it the first 35 times you said that.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I have a strong aversion to Yrden after meeting Sile de Tansarville in The Witcher 2. "TRAP IT WITH THE YRDEEEEEN." Yes, thank you. Didn't get it the first 35 times you said that.

Good as Witcher 2 is, repeated barks are a really annoying part of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

wiegieman posted:

Vampires in this setting are weird. They don't even need to have a body, they're like a standing wave of objectionable existence.

There's a great bit in one of their books that is a fun example of how alien they are - "In addition to food and water, don't forget to keep your humans somewhere with air, as for some reason they don't seem to live very long without it."

Also - "Don't worry about space for breeding purposes, if you get the male and female variety in the same area they're bound to mate regardless of conditions."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really don't like the endings to the Guillaume and Vivienne quest. I thought it was fine at first, when I got the ending where the curse transfers to an egg--Vivienne is thrilled to have even seven years of a normal life to go and chase her dreams--but then I decided to look up what other ways that quest could've gone. The other ending is just... what? Breaking your promise to Vivienne and folding when Sir "~She Talked To Me Once~" Guillaume demands it leads to Vivienne getting to have a full life, no complications, she's happy, he's happy, fairy tale happy ending?

I dunno, I get that this is Toussaint, but something about the ending where you respect the cursed person's wishes being blatantly worse rings false to me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

We've discussed this a few times, but the goon consensus is that the ending where the woman who previously showed no interest in her suitor gets together with him because he risked his life to cure a curse is the bad ending and the ending where she is free to live her life with no obligations to anyone is the good one.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

SirSamVimes posted:

We've discussed this a few times, but the goon consensus is that the ending where the woman who previously showed no interest in her suitor gets together with him because he risked his life to cure a curse is the bad ending and the ending where she is free to live her life with no obligations to anyone is the good one.

I mean, she seems a bit busy with the whole turning into a bird thing to pay much attention to other people. Her reluctance to involve Guillaume seems to stem from paranoia more than anything else.

Harrow posted:

Breaking your promise to Vivienne and folding when Sir "~She Talked To Me Once~" Guillaume demands it leads to Vivienne getting to have a full life, no complications, she's happy, he's happy, fairy tale happy ending?

You can refuse to promise not to tell anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That quest owns. Telling a dude that just because you decided you're in love with a woman you barely know does not in any way obligate her to return the feeling is great. gently caress Guillame