Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is what a oval office is. Some old sounding man whining about youtube videos using a weird cartoon avatar.

What a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
On a whim I'm rewatching old Phelous/Allison/Brad videos and I can't believe I missed all the To Boldly Flee jokes in the Birdemic 2 review. They're super obvious!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Forgive me if this was already posted, but I recently put up my Top 10 Wildest Moments in the Quantum Leap Novels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufoseag-wRA

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

This is what a oval office is. Some old sounding man whining about youtube videos using a weird cartoon avatar.

What a oval office.

The fact that he used Sterling Archer as an avatar before I'm guessing someone at FX probably asked him to stop using it to unironically peddle the same hypermasculine bullshit that Archer itself as a show routinely mocks tells me everything I need to know about the guy. That, and the fact that he replaced it with an "original" avatar so overly manly it makes Archer look like Ray and Cyril's lovechild via Dr. Krieger.

Like, I'll give the guy points for production value, but Jesus, there's missing the point and then there's following the orbit of Haley's Comet away from the point :psyduck:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 10, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

The fact that he used Sterling Archer as an avatar before I'm guessing someone at FX probably asked him to stop using it to unironically peddle the same hypermasculine bullshit that Archer itself as a show routinely mocks tells me everything I need to know about the guy. That, and the fact that he replaced it with an "original" avatar so overly manly it makes Archer look like Ray and Cyril's lovechild via Dr. Krieger.

Like, I'll give the guy points for production value, but Jesus, there's missing the point and then there's following the orbit of Haley's Comet away from the point :psyduck:

Oh my god what a hack piece of poo poo.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Moviebob tries out a new review format for Warcraft.
I hope you enjoy staring into an unpleasant visage for ten minutes while he yells at a camera.

I don't know if I like the implication that it's the fans' fault the movie sucks. Then again I haven't seen it and I will never see it so I can't say.

As far as Warcraft: Orcs & Humans not being a compelling story, a good director and writer can make any story compelling. The lore isn't the problem. The lack of character is.

I assume, because again, I haven't seen it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

nine-gear crow posted:

I listened to like a minute of his video and talk about a dude with zero charisma.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrSlam posted:

I don't know if I like the implication that it's the fans' fault the movie sucks. Then again I haven't seen it and I will never see it so I can't say.

As far as Warcraft: Orcs & Humans not being a compelling story, a good director and writer can make any story compelling. The lore isn't the problem. The lack of character is.

I assume, because again, I haven't seen it.

The moment I saw Thrall was going to be front and center as a main character I knew the odds of that movie being good just tanked.

For those that don't know, Thrall in World of Warcraft has become one of the designers pet Mary Sue to the detriment of any other character around them. Including the players. Anytime something big turns up, it's Thrall going to deal with it instead of any number of other more relevant characters because :rolleyes::fh:.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The moment I saw Thrall was going to be front and center as a main character I knew the odds of that movie being good just tanked.

For those that don't know, Thrall in World of Warcraft has become one of the designers pet Mary Sue to the detriment of any other character around them. Including the players. Anytime something big turns up, it's Thrall going to deal with it instead of any number of other more relevant characters because :rolleyes::fh:.

Its good to see that Arenanet thought this was a good character to crib for Guild Wars 2

All hail Treesus!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, Thrall had an actual decent character arc in WarCraft Adventures and WarCraft III/Frozen Throne. It's just that Blizzard kept going with it long after it landed at its natural stopping point in TFT (aka, "Well poo poo, I guess I just killed your dad... Wanna gently caress?").

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
My favourite part was in the current expansion where you have to go back in time to lead an army against the big bad from the previous expansion and his dad. At the end when you're confronting the bad guy you were tasked with leading an army against, he knocks you down... but don't worry THRALL comes in and saves you! Then you get a cutscene where they have a one on one duel and Thrall wins.

The name of the quest is "And Justice for Thrall". Guys we should make a movie about this.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Thrall's a baby in the movie. It's not about him.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm going to see the Warcraft movie, not thinking it will be good, and not out of spite or fan loyalty, but out of prayer that it will be gloriously awful instead of boring awful.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

To be fair, Thrall had an actual decent character arc in WarCraft Adventures and WarCraft III/Frozen Throne. It's just that Blizzard kept going with it long after it landed at its natural stopping point in TFT (aka, "Well poo poo, I guess I just killed your dad... Wanna gently caress?").
The weird thing where they decided Thrall had to get an orc girlfriend to avoid miscegenation was one of the dumbest parts of WoW.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Miss Wallace posted:

Forgive me if this was already posted, but I recently put up my Top 10 Wildest Moments in the Quantum Leap Novels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufoseag-wRA

It was. Great as always Lupa. I love that you needed five minuets to explain how leaping works just so we can get to someone getting eaten by a bear.

Good thing the Jackass crew never got ahold of leaping technology.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Brad just put out a Midnight Screenings of Warcraft and hey, Jerrid's there! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAqfR6_NP0

It's an interesting review because Jerrid loved the film but Brad hated it. You can see Jerrid's fan appreciation cover up for the basic flaws of the film, while Brad was having none of it. It's almost awkward because every time Brad makes fun of the movie you can see Jerrid die a little on the inside. I loved the games up to Frozen Throne, but I can't help rooting for the critics on this one. I'm not sure if that's because of my vitriolic disappointment in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2, or me being able to distance myself the things I love.

i am tim! posted:

My favourite part was in the current expansion where you have to go back in time to lead an army against the big bad from the previous expansion and his dad. At the end when you're confronting the bad guy you were tasked with leading an army against, he knocks you down... but don't worry THRALL comes in and saves you! Then you get a cutscene where they have a one on one duel and Thrall wins.
I hate that. "It's a good thing you were here [player character], else no one would be able to witness this cutscene!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

The weird thing where they decided Thrall had to get an orc girlfriend to avoid miscegenation was one of the dumbest parts of WoW.
That bugged me too. Maybe I'm way off base here since it's been so long since I brushed up on the current lore but I feel like they keep finding excuses for the Alliance and the Horde to be at constant war. The lore is well and truly hosed at this point so I can't expect a Warcraft IV that doesn't involve time travel. The most I could've hoped for was a new game based on the new movie but considering how well it's doing I guess they'll be sticking to those lucrative card games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What makes it fundamentally stupid is it happens halfway through the fight instead of at the end or in place of it, so it's just an arbitrary "YOU ARE STUNNED AND HELPLESS NOW" once you've readily smacked Garrosh down past 50% HP because your efforts mean nothing player, here let Thrall save the day! :downswords:.

It's even worse Alliance-side, because they have a new character with an arc culminating in facing down Garrosh aaand it's taken out back and shot by that moment.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Thrall is front and center in Warcraft content because he's the hero of the Warcraft story, full stop.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Thrall is front and center in Warcraft content because he's the hero of the Warcraft story, full stop.

Yeah so it'd be nice if to tell that story they made a game where he was the player character and not an MMO.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Yeah so it'd be nice if to tell that story they made a game where he was the player character and not an MMO.

He basically is, you're just temporarily playing some (comparitively) unimportant background character. They've slightly gone away with it in the current (and next) expansions, but playing Warcraft games and expecting you to upstage the actual main characters is setting oneself up for a fall.

Bit of half-assed WoW trivia that comes before I played: the Big Important Plots in vanilla WoW were explicitly done by The Players, but then people bitched about some random folks managing to do such Big Important Things. So Blizzard retconned it and said that, no, some King did it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 10, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
World of Warcraft sucks. The movie sucks. I'm glad I stopped playing years ago and I lol'd at everyone who told me the movie was gonna be good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MisterBibs posted:

He basically is, you're just temporarily playing some (comparitively) unimportant background character. They've slightly gone away with it in the current (and next) expansions, but playing Warcraft games and expecting you to upstage the actual main characters is setting oneself up for a fall.

Bit of half-assed WoW trivia that comes before I played: the Big Important Plots in vanilla WoW were explicitly done by The Players, but then people bitched about some random folks managing to do such Big Important Things. So Blizzard retconned it and said that, no, some King did it.

Actually the way they generally did it, and quite well, in the older expansions is you and 25-40 of your buddies rock up alongside the big hero as Plan B in case Plan A does not go well against the big finale Raid Boss.

Plan A does not go well.

Don't forget the new expansion where the initial previews spoke of it focusing on Sylvanas and the Forsaken before capping it off with a mention of "but don't worry, Thrall's still got a story to tell! :pseudo:"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Yes I acknowledged that Thrall is the main character and always will be. The problem is to as it is an MMO WoW is a poor medium to tell the Thrall story they are intending to tell. Thrall being teh main good guy character in WC3 worked well, if they had made the adventure game he was supposed to star in I'm sure if would have been fine. Unfortunately they're trying to tell a linear heroic narrative in the format least suite to that sort of narrative.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

MrSlam posted:

Brad just put out a Midnight Screenings of Warcraft and hey, Jerrid's there! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAqfR6_NP0

"There was a night where I was stranded in Detroit"

:stare:

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

MisterBibs posted:

That might be true now, (I haven't kept up with the convoluted MMO plot) but it wasn't always. The Orcs were barely in War3, they didn't even get a campaign in the expansion.

The retcon where orcs were misunderstood good guys was the weakest aspect of 3, too. It didn't suck as hard as when SC2 tried to do the exact same thing with the Zerg, but it was still pretty lame.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I only have experience with 2 MMOs, Old Republic and Secret World, and both manage to have your character do the the important things while having larger stories.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

BigRed0427 posted:

It was. Great as always Lupa. I love that you needed five minuets to explain how leaping works just so we can get to someone getting eaten by a bear.

Good thing the Jackass crew never got ahold of leaping technology.

Ah okay, the thread was taken over for awhile so I wasn't sure, lol. Thanks. I probably didn't need to explain how leaping works for that but I think it's important to note that in the novel it's basically "Hey, it's okay because it's not really his body!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I only have experience with 2 MMOs, Old Republic and Secret World, and both manage to have your character do the the important things while having larger stories.

Yeah like bringing Darth revan back long after his expiration date, or making the most boring overpowered sith emperor in all of star wars.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

The retcon where orcs were misunderstood good guys was the weakest aspect of 3, too. It didn't suck as hard as when SC2 tried to do the exact same thing with the Zerg, but it was still pretty lame.

It's something the Blizzard writers who I collectively call Chris Metzen are fond of. Bad guys don't do things out of self-interest or cultural differences or character flaws or ulterior motives, they do them because they got mind-controlled, corrupted by demons, addicted to drug-magic, and had badness written into their DNA by a rogue extra dimensional alien. Unless of course they are actual literal demons where they don't need an excuse. As one dimensional as he is, I still believe Arcturus Mengsk is the best villain in anything Blizzard's done simply because he's the most human.

The pussifying of the orcs was something that never sat well with me either. In Warcraft 2's campaigns they talk about sacrificing to dark gods and slaughtering and burning the survivors. Oh wait, I guess they were pacifistic mother goddess worshiping noble savages instead. They were only ever evil because of a few bad apples.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm reasonably convinced that in terms of those writing Blizzard stuff, they (rightfully) look back at WC1/2 style Orcs, design wise, with barely contained embarrassment. It's like the kind of stuff I drew as an angsty 90s kid.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 10, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I'm reasonably convinced that in terms of those writing Blizzard stuff, they (rightfully) look back at WC1/2 style Orcs, design wise, with barely contained embarrassment. It's like the kind of stuff I drew as an angsty 90s kid.

Because their writing these days is so much better. It's just

1. Corruption™
2. Go to 1

which coincidentally is basically how angsty 90s kids write.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MrSlam posted:

It's something the Blizzard writers who I collectively call Chris Metzen are fond of. Bad guys don't do things out of self-interest or cultural differences or character flaws or ulterior motives, they do them because they got mind-controlled, corrupted by demons, addicted to drug-magic, and had badness written into their DNA by a rogue extra dimensional alien. Unless of course they are actual literal demons where they don't need an excuse. As one dimensional as he is, I still believe Arcturus Mengsk is the best villain in anything Blizzard's done simply because he's the most human.

Granted I played it a long-rear end time ago but I remember Arthas's gradual corruption in Warcraft 3 being a pretty drat good story arc. It still boils down in the end to him being cursed by EVIL but it was well-executed I think.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Final Fantasy XIV gives your player character a ton of plot importance. In fact it almost becomes a bit distracting because at times the game seems to forget that you fought through those dungeons and toppled those demigods with a group of 3-7 other heroes.
I much prefer that weird disparity over just being a grunt who happens to be in the room when the REAL heroes do cool things, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah like bringing Darth revan back long after his expiration date, or making the most boring overpowered sith emperor in all of star wars.

My Imperial Agent punched Revan in the face without even force powers. Although apparently he comes back again in the expansion. Still, my point sort-of stands.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Augus posted:

Granted I played it a long-rear end time ago but I remember Arthas's gradual corruption in Warcraft 3 being a pretty drat good story arc.

Try playing it again one of these days. It's not well written.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Andrast posted:

Duly noted :v:
I've never had much attachment to Warcraft lore anyway.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Augus posted:

Granted I played it a long-rear end time ago but I remember Arthas's gradual corruption in Warcraft 3 being a pretty drat good story arc. It still boils down in the end to him being cursed by EVIL but it was well-executed I think.
Arthas's corruption breaks down to four points. The culling of Stratholme (arguably neccessary), the burning of the ships (crazy pants), taking up Frostmourne (understandable except that he left his childhood friend there to die it's okay Muradin got Gilligan's Island amnesia), and killing his dad (what).

I think the problem here is that he's portrayed as a goody goody altruistic guy and then suddenly he's callous and stranding his men at the north pole. It's a decline, it doesn't happen at once but it's still a pretty steep decline. That's why it was easier to believe Frostmourne was calling out to him and messing with his mind than that his sanity came apart naturally.

Don't get me wrong though I do like Arthas and that entire campaign but in the end I do think Frostmourne wiggled its way into his brain and he got the corruption.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arthas was kind of a douche even before any of his corruption stuff started.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Andrast posted:

I always felt like Warcraft 3 was an idiot plot. If anyone had acted intelligently at all at any point they'd have easily stopped Arthas and his bullshit.

Edit:
Well this kinda sucks for him. Surprised I didn't see it brought up at all.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 10, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tracula posted:

I always felt like Warcraft 3 was an idiot plot. If anyone had acted intelligently at all at any point they'd have easily stopped Arthas and his bullshit.

It was the coolest poo poo when you were a teenager though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Arthas plot was alright, especially for a RTS. It was shallow, but for a story that is motley told though cutscenes inveterate battles, they did a good enough job.

The Orc plot however is pretty lame, they even try to make Doomhammer of al people into an at least somewhat good guy. The got the orcs from Warhammer and the football hooligan approach worked so much better than they corrupted good guys angle. I mean, if they really wanted to turn the orcs around, them just being ignorant about the suffering they caused due to their natural attraction to violence would have worked a lot better.

• Locked thread