Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Empress Theonora posted:

It loads!!

(EDIT: If you're wondering what happened to Iouliana Erdebir, I just set leader ideologies wrong so we have our democratic leader instead for some reason)

good luck, commie ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

##Restore the ancient merchant republic.
##Müllerism with Indian Characteristics
##Let's just... stop getting blown up constantly.
## The cutest space lesbians

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Empress Theonora posted:

It loads!!

(EDIT: If you're wondering what happened to Iouliana Erdebir, I just set leader ideologies wrong so we have our democratic leader instead for some reason)

Why does Greece control a piece of Turkey in this image?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

LJN92 posted:

Why does Greece control a piece of Turkey in this image?

Because the first thing I tried was just switching provinces from one country to another to see how that worked before I tried making a new tag.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
##Write a democratic constitution.
##Let's just... stop getting blown up constantly.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
CURRENT VOTECOUNT

Somalia
##Restore the ancient merchant republic. "Just because we finally bury our figurehead does not mean we relinquish the reins of power."
Lord Cyrahzax
AJ_Impy
nothing to seehere
Luhood
Prince Orcus
Chief Savage Man
tunapirate
JT Jag
Kayten
cokerpilot
tabris
Aeromancia
WeaponGradeSadness
Angry Salami
RagnarokZ
Tulip
MinistryofLard
Erwin the German
Crowsbeak
Srebrenica Surprise
TwinkleToad
Jalathas

##Write a democratic constitution.
GSD
Rubix Squid
TinTower
GunnerJ
StrifeHira
Glenn Zimmerman
Another Otter
catlord
NewMars
Soup du Jour
RandomPauI
Samovar
Archaeology Hat
Hitlers Gay Secret
paragon1

Hindustan
GSD
Rubix Squid
AJ_Impy
nothing to seehere
Luhood
TinTower
Prince Orcus
GunnerJ
Chief Savage Man
tunapirate
JT Jag
catlord
Kayten
tabris
Aeromancia
WeaponGradeSadness
Angry Salami
RagnarokZ
Tulip
MinistryofLard
Erwin the German
Crowsbeak
Visceral Realism
Srebrenica Surprise
Jalathas
paragon1

##Let's just keep everything the same.
Lord Cyrahzax
cokerpilot

##For twelve years you have been asking: Who is Rishma Sharqi? "I want to have fun, a stable and sane world offers less chance for this."
StrifeHira
Glenn Zimmerman
Another Otter
NewMars
Soup du Jour
Samovar
Archaeology Hat
TwinkleToad
Hitlers Gay Secret

Russia
##We're called Third Rome for a reason. "I want this to be as bloody as possible."
GSD
Lord Cyrahzax
AJ_Impy
nothing to seehere
Luhood
TinTower
Chief Savage Man
tunapirate
StrifeHira
Glenn Zimmerman
Another Otter
JT Jag
NewMars
tabris
Aeromancia
WeaponGradeSadness
Angry Salami
RagnarokZ
MinistryofLard
Erwin the German
Archaeology Hat
Crowsbeak

##Let's just... stop getting blown up constantly. "Russia deserves a bit of a break,"
Prince Orcus
Kayten
cokerpilot
Soup du Jour
Tulip
Samovar
Visceral Realism
Srebrenica Surprise
TwinkleToad
Hitlers Gay Secret
Jalathas
paragon1

##Status quo.
Rubix Squid
GunnerJ

##Cute Space Lesbians "##Give lesbians in space the right to vote."
TinTower
tunapirate
StrifeHira
tabris
ZiegeDame
GunnerJ
RandomPauI
Samovar
Erwin the German
Archaeology Hat
Srebrenica Surprise
TwinkleToad
Jalathas

:siren: VOTE CLOSED :siren:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

PortraitChat: I'm mostly just chugging along finding portaits, but if anyone in the thread wants to pitch in it should make things quicker.

Areas of interest: Haida and Ayiti generals and admirals, female Chinese and WRE military leaders, alternate ideology political leaders for basically all countries besides BYZ. But really I'm still collecting portaits for everything besides Byzantium, Britain, and Germany.

(the cardinal rules of ByzLP portaits: no super famous historical figures, due diligence to avoid using actual war criminals-- in particular No Nazis Allowed, photos from 1910-1960ish would fit best but in a pinch something more modern could just be converted to black and white as long as there's no obvious anarchronisms)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Empress Theonora posted:

Areas of interest: Haida generals and admirals

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I can get you a fair few civilian portraits 1910-1960. Might be easier to email though or similar.

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Chinese:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

This portraits are Good.

tabris posted:

Chinese:

So are these.

lenoon posted:

I can get you a fair few civilian portraits 1910-1960. Might be easier to email though or similar.

PMed you. Even though HoI IV is much lighter on ministers than prior HoI games, national leader portraits are extremely surfaced in the UI, and the vast majority of byzLP nations (everyone but the fascists and the absolute monarchies, really) would have civilian-looking rulers-- and I need like three or four for each country because of ideological variation.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fanny Edelman is already in HoI4 if you need a good communist lady to rule something in South America/whatever the hell we're calling it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Funky Valentine posted:

Fanny Edelman is already in HoI4 if you need a good communist lady to rule something in South America/whatever the hell we're calling it.

Well, Holland needs a communist leader...

So does Lai Ang...

And I'm pretty sure Nuevo Xi'an actually already is communist by default.

(And I need to figure out who's in charge of the democratic Lai Ang rump state in Zheng He Bay, I guess. Maybe communists too, just so Ayiti doesn't instantly crush them.)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

So my first game of HoI 4 went way better than my first game of HoI 3 back in the day did, where I was totally unprepared for anything because the UI made no sense and Germany instantly destroyed me. And events in the game had a real narrative sense to them, too-- in this particular case, the narrative was "WWI in fast forward" since for most of the war the lines looked like this...

...until finally Germany tried its hand at Operation Michael and pushed my lines even further back before I was able to reorganize and reinforce my borders. And then after that I was able to push them out of France entirely in a counter-offensive, and then out of the Low Countries, and then they had nothing left and I was able to just sweep straight through Germany.

So this is good news for the LP across the board! I succeeded in winning a war, learned how to play the game, and was reassured that HoI is indeed good LP fodder.

EDIT: Check out that France-specific Fall of Berlin event-- HoI has lots of unique city fall and liberation events depending on who got which city.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Empress Theonora posted:

So my first game of HoI 4 went way better than my first game of HoI 3 back in the day did, where I was totally unprepared for anything because the UI made no sense and Germany instantly destroyed me. And events in the game had a real narrative sense to them, too-- in this particular case, the narrative was "WWI in fast forward" since for most of the war the lines looked like this...

...until finally Germany tried its hand at Operation Michael and pushed my lines even further back before I was able to reorganize and reinforce my borders. And then after that I was able to push them out of France entirely in a counter-offensive, and then out of the Low Countries, and then they had nothing left and I was able to just sweep straight through Germany.

So this is good news for the LP across the board! I succeeded in winning a war, learned how to play the game, and was reassured that HoI is indeed good LP fodder.

EDIT: Check out that France-specific Fall of Berlin event-- HoI has lots of unique city fall and liberation events depending on who got which city.
Images not found.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Images not found.

Don't know what your problem is, I see em just fine, and did so when they first posted them.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Crowsbeak posted:

Images not found.

Yeah I can see them too.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
They're hosted on Steam so maybe you have to be logged into Steam on your browser?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

They're hosted on Steam so maybe you have to be logged into Steam on your browser?

I loaded steam and turned off adblocker so I don't know what is wrong.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Welp, me neither, I can't see them and I figured that was why.

eta: OK, I can see them on my phone?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Can anybody recommend a tool or process or script or something can batch-convert 24-bit .tga files to 32-bit .tga files? I've been doing most of my file conversions in the venerable Mac utility GraphicConverter 9, but it doesn't seem to properly export 32-bit .tgas, and unlike some other past Paradox games HoI 4 requires 32 bit files. Saving them manually in Photoshop as 32 bit .tgas creates usable files, but the thought of converting hundreds of flags (in three sizes!) by hand is, well, rather daunting. So some sagely advice would be appreciated, if anybody's got some.

I might ask for more help and contributions on the mod later, but first I just need to get my tags and flags and such all up and running.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

Can anybody recommend a tool or process or script or something can batch-convert 24-bit .tga files to 32-bit .tga files? I've been doing most of my file conversions in the venerable Mac utility GraphicConverter 9, but it doesn't seem to properly export 32-bit .tgas, and unlike some other past Paradox games HoI 4 requires 32 bit files. Saving them manually in Photoshop as 32 bit .tgas creates usable files, but the thought of converting hundreds of flags (in three sizes!) by hand is, well, rather daunting. So some sagely advice would be appreciated, if anybody's got some.

I might ask for more help and contributions on the mod later, but first I just need to get my tags and flags and such all up and running.

IrfanView?

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Photoshop itself ought to have a batch convert hidden somewhere in its menus?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Chwoka posted:

Photoshop itself ought to have a batch convert hidden somewhere in its menus?

There's the Image Processor tool, but that only seems to have options for .psd, .tiff, and .jpg for some reason. Is there some way to get it (or some other thing in Photoshop) to save 32-bit .tgas?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Empress Theonora posted:

There's the Image Processor tool, but that only seems to have options for .psd, .tiff, and .jpg for some reason. Is there some way to get it (or some other thing in Photoshop) to save 32-bit .tgas?

Um, does anybody know if there's a solution to this?

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

Empress Theonora posted:

Should worst come to worst, crowdsource?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

tunapirate posted:

Should worst come to worst, crowdsource?

Yeah, I was going to suggest sending out batches of files to convert to people, but I'm not sure if Photoshop CS2 can do the conversion.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Empress Theonora posted:

Any modern version of photoshop can do it, just make a macro.

e: To elaborate, make an action thats only task is going Save As->32 bit TGA. Then create a batch of that new action and point it at the folder containing 24 bit TGAs, it'll chew through the lot in a few seconds.

uPen fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 7, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

uPen posted:

Any modern version of photoshop can do it, just make a macro.

e: To elaborate, make an action thats only task is going Save As->32 bit TGA. Then create a batch of that new action and point it at the folder containing 24 bit TGAs, it'll chew through the lot in a few seconds.

lol i can't believe this didn't occur to me

anyway, crisis averted! i can go back to being miserable trying to make the map instead of being miserable over flags

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If you get stumped on portraits, just make literally everyone Dick Cheney. Especially Valeria.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

If you get stumped on portraits, just make literally everyone Dick Cheney. Especially Valeria.

Valeria, back as a lich? Sign me up!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Flagchat: I am probably going to be implementing pangalism as a separate ideology (and even if I don't, certain nations will probably have more pangalist-flavored "democratic" governments). In most cases, the Pangalists are either working within an existing state (i.e., Zhang's subversion of the Ming constitutional monarchy) or see themselves as direct ideological heirs to the revolutionary liberals of the 19th century, so they'll mostly be using the old V2 democratic flags-- tricolors, emblems in threes, etc. Still, if anybody has any cool ideas for Pangalist flags, feel free to hit me with 'em, and I can either include them as flags for a separate Pangalist ideology, or as flags for whatever existing ideology (probably democracy) I tack pangalism onto.

Again, I don't need these, but since there hasn't been much flagchat for the HoI 4 mod since the majority of the flags we need are already in V2, I figured I might as well give the thread's vexillographers another shot at making some flags. :v:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The national flags but with Ayn Rand's face superimposed on them.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I hope that a Seychelles style design has a place in this universe's vexillogical vocabulary.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

The national flags but with Ayn Rand's face superimposed on them.

No no, just have them covered in advertisements.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

No no, just have them covered in advertisements.

lmao now I almost want to have the Ming flag have a bunch of little sponsor logos plastered over it.

I like megane's design for it too much, though.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Does anybody know how to say “begin again” in Latin?

In the sense of the title of that Purity Ring song or all of those Sierra Madre posters from Fallout: New Vegas-- "BEGIN AGAIN" as a slogan or motto.

It's a phrase I think might be very useful for writing ByzLP.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
In the imperative? "Iterum incipi" for a singular addressee, "Iterum incipite" for one plural.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
You could maybe get away with 'Tabula Rasa' which means 'clean slate'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

europe todo: fix bavaria's colors, add non-byz flags, edit state borders (the austria/hungary/byz junction is particularly bad), use a tighter crop on iouliana's portrait to better match the other leader portraits and fix the spelling of her name, and the aegean islands still belong to greece for some reason. and localization, duh.

and then do all of that for every other continent

(plus oobs, leaders, generals, etc., but i'm not going to do that for anywhere until the whole world's map is done)

edit: and we never DID get cilicia back from the frontier army so that should go to da qin and not byz

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 13, 2016

• Locked thread