Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Lol criminal

That Strix is £60 more than the full £660 UK 1080 strix!! Crazy. Seems in the UK 1070 isn't as great value from the 1080 as the 970 was. Still cheaper but its harder to swallow, right now the FE price IS the base MSRP. At least with the 1080 there were cheaper cards (e.g £530 for most basic, so about the same conversion as the FEs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Picked up an Asus FE from scan (I have plans for a SFF PC later this year so need a blower card). First time I've had anything close to a cutting edge build, can't wait :)

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Froist posted:

Picked up an Asus FE from scan (I have plans for a SFF PC later this year so need a blower card). First time I've had anything close to a cutting edge build, can't wait :)

Coolio, I'm still waiting a couple of weeks for my 1080 FTW. Let us know how it goes!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Blackfyre posted:

That Strix is £60 more than the full £660 UK 1080 strix!! Crazy. Seems in the UK 1070 isn't as great value from the 1080 as the 970 was. Still cheaper but its harder to swallow, right now the FE price IS the base MSRP. At least with the 1080 there were cheaper cards (e.g £530 for most basic, so about the same conversion as the FEs).

What I am wondering is are these prices the manufacturer's price or are the retailers just gouging the hell out of everyone?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Got an FE from Nvidia's site, which went live slightly before 6 am pacific. Happy enough with that. :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Amazon shows Zotac 1070 FE in stock right now: https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Founders-Graphics-ZT-P10700A-10P/dp/B01GEYE6YQ

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What I am wondering is are these prices the manufacturer's price or are the retailers just gouging the hell out of everyone?

Well the £400 base for the FE is apparently legit, the Strix has now dropped on that link to £500 but theres nothing less than £400 when I looked last.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Are AIB cards still embargo'd or something for the 1080? Killin' me that they're popping up, but with some of the wonkiness like that MSI card that costs more than Founders but clocking lower makes me hesitant to pull the trigger.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
It's too early to be sure I guess, but the way prices are looking in the UK, a third party 1080 is 'Only' gonna be an extra £150 over a third party 1070.

Would it be sane just to go for the 1080 in that case? Or is the difference too marginal?

I'm at 1440p, but my monitor is 144hz, so I guess every extra FPS is good.

I could just get a 1070 founders edition. Were the cooling/noise/underclocking reports from the founders edition cards over-emphasized?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Strix on Aria has dropped down to £499 now, still pricey but a lot more reasonable than that first price. They still don't have any other cards though, and Overclockers haven't listed any 1070s either. I had all 3 (including Scan) open and refreshing at 2pm, maybe the supply is limited like the 1080..

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

aaaand it's gone

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wicka posted:

aaaand it's gone

I show 1 left in stock.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For purposes of price comparison, what's the approximate performance ratio between 1070 and 1080 (both stock)? 1.25?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Overclockers is up.

Well I think I'm sticking with my FTW 1080 for £150 more personally. Its probably about 20-30% faster based on the fact a 1070 is like a 980Ti, just basing that on reviews of the FEs e.g. at Hardocp so I'm not feeling a huge saving going to the 1070 where the better AIB cards are more than the FE.

Overclockers has KFA2 (Galax) ones a bit cheaper but I couldn't bring myself to buy one of their cards.

EDIT: For reference the 1070 was about 5% faster than the 980Ti and the 1080 approx 30% per HardOCP.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Subjunctive posted:

For purposes of price comparison, what's the approximate performance ratio between 1070 and 1080 (both stock)? 1.25?

Around that, yeah. Though stock numbers are misleading because both clock just as high but the stock clocks for the 1070 are significantly lower, I remember JayzTwoCents saying that he was finding the performance difference between his samples to be more like 10%-15% once OCed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EVGA have apparently sold out for today, won't have more until next week. for the most part it seems like sites just haven't put them up for sale yet, not that they're selling out. that zotac card was the only one i've seen on amazon.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
For those not on the 1070 bus, several 1080s are back in stock at Newegg - including the STRIX I just bought. :stonk:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Got my order in for a 1070 SC from EVGA. Go me, woo, etc

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Durinia posted:

For those not on the 1070 bus, several 1080s are back in stock at Newegg - including the STRIX I just bought. :stonk:

I was there the moment they went up and I couldn't get any of them except for the silly-overpriced MSI one. :saddowns:

Oh well, I just got a Vive and a 144hz monitor. What's another $50-70 in idiot tax.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
What I don't get is why nobody takes backorders for this stuff.

I don't care if it puts me in a queue until August or whatever, just knowing I have an order in place and I don't have to stalk Nowinstock or spam F5 whenever something shows up somewhere would be so much easier.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like supply is finally to the point that everything isn't selling out instantly. The Gigabyte aftermarket was in stock on newegg for a good 15 minutes, probably because at $720 it's ridiculously overpriced. You can "preorder" FE cards on many sites now as well.

Of course, the Asus STRIX on newegg sold out in 6 minutes for $670. Since it's the highest clocked aftermarket clock right now plus ASUS' reputation that's expected. I had one in my cart, but didn't get through checkout fast enough.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

macnbc posted:

What I don't get is why nobody takes backorders for this stuff.

Backorders lock them into a price.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Subjunctive posted:

Backorders lock them into a price.

Then they can sell backorders for a higher price and let lazy suckers like me pay a premium to sit in a queue for a guaranteed product.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 10, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

macnbc posted:

Then they can sell backorders for a higher price and let lazy suckers like me pay a premium to sit in a queue for a guaranteed product.

im 99% sure its a legal issue, at least in the US. They must have guaranteed preorders coming in in order to take money for preorders themselves. Sarbanes oxley etc etc. They (being any retailer) should of course love to take preorders in general

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

im 99% sure its a legal issue, at least in the US. They must have guaranteed preorders coming in in order to take money for preorders themselves. Sarbanes oxley etc etc. They (being any retailer) should of course love to take preorders in general

Nonsense, I see plenty of other products in other categories allow for backorders. If it's an issue of taking money you can always just charge at shipment like Amazon does.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

macnbc posted:

No, they'd have to deal with churn as people asked for new pricing or whatnot, and it also doesn't help them if the price goes up for some reason.

I think it's just a bunch of accounting they'd rather not do, including people wanting estimates and complaining that it's taken so long. People don't complain if they haven't been able to order, but they do if their backorder takes a long time.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Sarbanes oxley etc etc

What does SOX have to do with this? :confused:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

What does SOX have to do with this? :confused:

Haha I was thinking exactly the same thing

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Subjunctive posted:

People don't complain if they haven't been able to order

You clearly haven't looked at the people tweeting at EVGA this morning.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

macnbc posted:

I'm guessing this is why so many FE cards are available for preorder now. We're past the point that nVidia can charge the $100 early adopter tax for a reference card.

I'm pretty sure that legally sites can't sell preorders for stock they don't have allocation for. Someone in retail probably knows for sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chuu posted:

I'm pretty sure that legally sites can't sell preorders for stock they don't have allocated from their distributor. Someone in retail probably knows for sure.

People sell pre-orders for things that haven't been manufactured at all, or even had finalized design. What law do you think prevents it?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have backorders at Amazon but if it makes you feel any better it's not that comforting to me because the reps are telling people random dates when they might be fulfilled, as far out to the end of July. One person talked to 5 different reps and got 5 different answers, for the same order, heh.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

People sell pre-orders for things that haven't been manufactured at all, or even had finalized design. What law do you think prevents it?

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/business-guide-ftcs-mail-internet-or-telephone-order

The summary for those who don't want to click:

quote:

The Rule requires that when you advertise merchandise, you must have a reasonable basis for stating or implying that you can ship within a certain time. If you make no shipment statement, you must have a reasonable basis for believing that you can ship within 30 days. That is why direct marketers sometimes call this the "30-day Rule."

If, after taking the customer’s order, you learn that you cannot ship within the time you stated or within 30 days, you must seek the customer’s consent to the delayed shipment. If you cannot obtain the customer’s consent to the delay -- either because it is not a situation in which you are permitted to treat the customer’s silence as consent and the customer has not expressly consented to the delay, or because the customer has expressly refused to consent -- you must, without being asked, promptly refund all the money the customer paid you for the unshipped merchandise.

I don't know the exact statute behind these guidelines, or the penalty for failure to comply. I'll leave that to actual internet lawyers.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have backorders at Amazon but if it makes you feel any better it's not that comforting to me because the reps are telling people random dates when they might be fulfilled, as far out to the end of July. One person talked to 5 different reps and got 5 different answers, for the same order, heh.

See, I'd actually prefer that. I'd like to just put an order down somewhere and know that someday, eventually, I'm going to get an email saying it's shipped and it'll just show up at my door. I'd find that way better than playing the "oh I have to keep an eye out for a listing at all times and then hope like hell I can get to it before someone else does" game for weeks on end now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chuu posted:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/business-guide-ftcs-mail-internet-or-telephone-order

The summary for those who don't want to click:

I don't know the exact statute behind these guidelines, or the penalty for failure to comply. I'll leave that to actual internet lawyers.

Yeah, I asked the lawyer I worked with on pre-ordered hardware goods, and the provision for saying "we don't know when it'll arrive" is fine, as is an arbitrarily long backorder estimate at time of sale. (That's why you often see Amazon sellers saying "ships within 3 months" and then get it in a few weeks -- they don't have a reliable pipeline.) There's no requirement that anything be specifically allocated from anyone else, as far as he knows.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Chuu posted:

Of course, the Asus STRIX on newegg sold out in 6 minutes for $670. Since it's the highest clocked aftermarket clock right now plus ASUS' reputation that's expected. I had one in my cart, but didn't get through checkout fast enough.

Wow, I got lucky then. I didn't have notify set up - I just looked at nowinstock at exactly the right time I guess.

Time to order an X34 now...
:rip: my wallet

Durinia fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 10, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
While we're talking about stock, 1070 FE cards have been widely avaliable all day at MSRP ($450). This is probably more evidence that the supply constraint on 1080s right now is the memory, not the chips.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

That MSI card is available on Amazon Prime right now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01GLYD7MG/?ie=UTF8&condition=all&tag=nisa-20&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
$729 :staredog:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

looks like plenty of 1070 FE cards on newegg

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I wanna make a Discworld joke about a warehouse to store all these pre-order cards. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dell.com, oddly enough, is the only online retailer I've soon who actually follows the 30 day rule. They literally mail me a post card saying "we're not going to have this within 30 days, so either sign this and mail it back to let us know that's ok, or call and tell us, otherwise we'll automatically cancel the order".