Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ferengi fashion is a logical extension of Hobbit wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Man I didn't remember some of this Season 7 DS9.

Dukat has his own cult, a guys wife gives birth to a cardassian baby and he is like ".......uhhh..........THE GODS CHANGED THIS BABY INTO A CARDASSIAN TO SIGNIFY OUR PARTNERSHIP" then he tries to throw her out an airlock, and when that doesn't work he tries to trick them all into killing themselves.

This is even better than when he called up Kira out of the blue to tell her that he fucker her mom.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If they hadn't gone the Demon Dukat route during the final season of DS9, I sort of would have liked his end in DS9 being him preaching to some defeated Cardassians about how they almost had it all, but they lost it all to traitors who forced the Dominion to turn on them.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'd like Dukat to switch sides again, weasel his way into the new Cardassian government, smugly tell Kira et al they'll be seeing more of him in future and then next scene he's sitting all pleased with himself and Garak appears behind him and says 'hello [dukat's first name]" and garrotes him Clemenza style

but really anything would be a better end than satanist space hitler

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

The Sphinxster posted:

Ferengi fashion is a logical extension of Hobbit wear.

They were on earth in the Roswell incident, they probably met L Ron Hubbard or whoever wrote The Hobbits.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

criscodisco posted:

They were on earth in the Roswell incident, they probably met L Ron Hubbard or whoever wrote The Hobbits.

don't say something you can't take back, friend

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

dojokm posted:

True, but the racism is generally more subtle after that.

Have you watched that episode? I'm be more inclined to say that all racism in the history of television broadcasting is more subtle than the "African Planet" episode. And it doesn't even have the excuse of, "well it was a product of its time".

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Watched Voyager's The Cloud last night, and holy gently caress, if I was Beltran I would have thrown a fit. "lemme tell you your spirit animal. Akoocheemoya "

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The General posted:

Watched Voyager's The Cloud last night, and holy gently caress, if I was Beltran I would have thrown a fit. "lemme tell you your spirit animal. Akoocheemoya "

In one interview he joked that he wanted to break the neck of the guy who was always following him around with that pan flute (it was added in post production).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The General posted:

I read the Memory-Alpha entry on that to refresh my memory, and I forgot that season 1 Neelix was a little less..."warm and cuddly" than later seasons:

quote:

Neelix, who has been observing all this from the mess hall, is upset about the Captain's decision to enter the nebula and possibly endanger the ship and its crew. Kes tells him that she is not endangering anyone's life but that these people are just natural born explorers driven by curiosity and the desire to learn more about the world around them. Neelix doesn't agree with her and actually thinks that they are nothing but "natural born idiots" who, with a ship that's a match to any vessel in 100 light years, have to stop for every space anomaly to investigate.

I do remember a few instances of him protesting all the stupid poo poo Voyager/Janeway wanted to do. I mean...he WAS supposed to be some sort of scoundrel/rogue/smuggler character when they met him, right? And more than a couple times they had him be almost abusive towards Kes.

For that matter, how did Kes and him ever even meet? Weren't all the Ocompa stuck on that planet inside their little colony being protected by the Caretaker? I thought he didn't allow anyone in or out?

Edit: Holy shiot, Janeway's "Animal Spirit Guide" or whatever is a loving salamander, are you making GBS threads me?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 10, 2016

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Man I didn't remember some of this Season 7 DS9.

Dukat has his own cult, a guys wife gives birth to a cardassian baby and he is like ".......uhhh..........THE GODS CHANGED THIS BABY INTO A CARDASSIAN TO SIGNIFY OUR PARTNERSHIP" then he tries to throw her out an airlock, and when that doesn't work he tries to trick them all into killing themselves.

This is even better than when he called up Kira out of the blue to tell her that he fucker her mom.

it is loving bananas how even when he is moved by the spirit of the pah wraiths to be the antisisko he can't keep it in his pants. and he won't use future contraception. dukat must do gently caress

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I read the Memory-Alpha entry on that to refresh my memory, and I forgot that season 1 Neelix was a little less..."warm and cuddly" than later seasons:

I do remember a few instances of him protesting all the stupid poo poo Voyager/Janeway wanted to do. I mean...he WAS supposed to be some sort of scoundrel/rogue/smuggler character when they met him, right? And more than a couple times they had him be almost abusive towards Kes.

For that matter, how did Kes and him ever even meet? Weren't all the Ocompa stuck on that planet inside their little colony being protected by the Caretaker? I thought he didn't allow anyone in or out?

Edit: Holy shiot, Janeway's "Animal Spirit Guide" or whatever is a loving salamander, are you making GBS threads me?

Not everyone gets a bear or an eagle or a wolf.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Automatic Slim posted:

Not everyone gets a bear or an eagle or a wolf.

I believe there's a little detail you might be overlooking.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Condoms are a lost technology. Enter the monthly contraceptive hypospray. And both people need to get one or it doesn't work.

(Jambalaya.)

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
chakotay was like hay you wanna get hosed up on space peyote and talk to animals and janeway was like well im on duty so... yeah :lsd::hf::lsd:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Was it also Tom's spirit animal?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Was it also Tom's spirit animal?

Kim's was a baby Armadillo

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

I believe there's a little detail you might be overlooking.

No, I got it.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Volcott posted:

Condoms are a lost technology. Enter the monthly contraceptive hypospray. And both people need to get one or it doesn't work.

(Jambalaya.)

Emergency transporter cock ring. Beams your jizz straight from your urethra into her hair.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Blistex posted:

Have you watched that episode? I'm be more inclined to say that all racism in the history of television broadcasting is more subtle than the "African Planet" episode. And it doesn't even have the excuse of, "well it was a product of its time".

Fear of A Black Planet

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

and that was only the 3rd episode!

dojokm posted:

True, but the racism is generally more subtle after that.

The latent sexism is pretty much always there I suppose.

Blistex posted:

Simian_Prime posted:

Fear of A Black Planet

Wasn't someone fired over that episode?
Gene said to some casting guy to make the aliens tribal, and he instantly thought African tribal.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

happyhippy posted:

Wasn't someone fired over that episode?
Gene said to some casting guy to make the aliens tribal, and he instantly thought African tribal.

In 1989, that was the first "Tribal" that would jump in most people's heads. We didn't have stupid arm band tattoos everywhere to remind us about Samoa, yet

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Is The Royale a recycled TOS script, cause that's what it feels like

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is The Royale a recycled TOS script, cause that's what it feels like

it's garbage jim

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I just finished DS9 again. It happens fast if you fall asleep and otherwise skip episodes.

:sigh:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Data is wearing a cowboy hat, you're wrong

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Data is wearing a cowboy hat, you're wrong

its another alien race doing whatever from a BOOK found from EARTH

an alien race so loving advanced they could do holodeck simulations is so basic they just copy poo poo literature from earth

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm so loving mad those aliens were WITHOUT HONOR

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Just watched the Riker omelet scene
#brilliant

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Just watched the Riker omelet scene
#brilliant

My favourite is Pulaski exclaiming "ooh what practiced technique!" to Riker just pouring the eggs onto a griddle.

I think the Enterprise-D is just a ship full of hipsters. He's the second most important guy on the Carnival Cruiseliner of the skies, and he's cooking black market eggs on a goddamn hot plate in his bedroom.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
"Ah, a practiced hand", very amusing scene, the kind this thread was made for.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
hmm i'm the writers for TNG

how long should we wait before weird robot dude fucks a chick and its morally questionable???

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I'm kind of worried that the new trek show will keep the moral and ethical quandary theme but add in lots more rape and grimdark.

"Commander, the Prime Directive is clear. We cannot interfere with Rapetron VI, rape is a fundamental part of their culture. Who are we to decide the fate of an alien world?"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why didn't anyone try to get Nagilum to help out during the Dominion War? Things got pretty desperate and the Federation almost lost, there's got to be some way somebody could have at least tried to sell Nagilum on helping them out as some kind of research experiment.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FrensaGeran posted:

I'm kind of worried that the new trek show will keep the moral and ethical quandary theme but add in lots more rape and grimdark.

"Commander, the Prime Directive is clear. We cannot interfere with Rapetron VI, rape is a fundamental part of their culture. Who are we to decide the fate of an alien world?"

It's going to take place on wherever Yar was born. Rape gangs and more gangs. Maybe they'll be like kazon and rape gangs will just be villan of week every now and then.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FrensaGeran posted:

I hope the new Star Trek bucks the recent trend of grimdark TV shows and goes way more into happy and stupid.

"Captain, it's Commander Sukfuk's birthday, and the replicator's broken, and we don't have enough candles!!!"

*43 minutes of away missions, alien negotiations, and friendship building later, a stuffy Vulcan surrounded by the rest of the main crew characters sits in front of a birthday cake filled with candles, wearing a pointy sparkly birthday hat*

"This hat is highly illogical."

*all characters laugh uproariously, freeze frame, credits roll*

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

cheerfullydrab posted:

Why didn't anyone try to get Nagilum to help out during the Dominion War? Things got pretty desperate and the Federation almost lost, there's got to be some way somebody could have at least tried to sell Nagilum on helping them out as some kind of research experiment.

Nagillum creeped me out for some reason when I first saw that episode when I was 11. The face just looked so weird.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Crowsbeak posted:

Nagillum creeped me out for some reason when I first saw that episode when I was 11. The face just looked so weird.

Rodennberry loved his floating head aliens

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FrensaGeran posted:

They got the director of the wrath of khan and the undiscovered country working on developing it, that gives me some faith in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

get the gently caress outta here

data not being an autistic bore for once? check.
Picard having to sit through the world's worst audiobook? check.
memorable guest stars? check.
worf being funny? check.
Riker and data gambling their way out of a jam? check.
Cowboy hat? Check.

I'm afraid the math is clear, and The Royale checks out as "baller as gently caress". :shrug: