Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm not familiar with SourceFed, so I don't know where it falls on the American media spectrum or how well-known it is... They appear to be just webby clicky stuff mostly... but you may start seeing this on Facebook today. It was posted yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/SourceFedNews/videos/1199514293432055/

It's a video wherein SourceFed alleges Google manipulated search suggestion results to favour Hillary Clinton and bury autocompletes about words like "criminal allegations" or "indictment." At least, at the end, they say they can't responsibly say the Clinton campaign had anything to do with it, because they have no proof of that, but it's an interesting bit of Internet that might become visible in the next day or so.

I saw it shared by an 80s music radio station (in Canada), so I dunno. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

McAlister posted:

In a very real sense she is his sugar momma - not the other way around. She financed his early political career and nurtured his ambitions to the detriment of her own.

Things like that are why the Democratic Primary this year has been rather heartening - in that both major contestants are decent people, with their flaws, but people who care about people.

Compare and contrast to the other side where cheeto hitler outlasted the zodiac killer, human embodiment of the colour grey, a mad doctor, the stupidest bush and many others... it's a good time to hate the Republican Party. Mind you, it's always a good time, at least since the later 20th century

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

McAlister posted:

To challenge gender norms even further Hillary outperformed Bill in college and they were both lower income students there on merit scholarships. When they married many people were shocked that she was going to follow him back to the rural south when she, - not he - had such a bright future and so many job offers on the coast. She, after all, had help found a legal charity, spent a summer researching then written a report on the treatment of migrant labor that was read on the Senate labor committee, and had been hand picked as a junior member of the team that was going to prosecute Nixon. Not to mention had written provocative papers about the legal status of children as individuals rather than as parental property. He, otoh, was nice enough for a hick. Had a certain charisma sure. But he wasn't making waves like she was.

When they got to Arkansas she got a higher paying job as a lawyer with the children's defense fund while he took a very low paying job as a teacher. His flexible schedule let him pursue a career in politics that he would not have had the time for had they been a "traditional" couple with a provider husband and a stay at home wife.

In a very real sense she is his sugar momma - not the other way around. She financed his early political career and nurtured his ambitions to the detriment of her own.

Except her time spent promoting Bill has now payed off as people like my parents that were happy during the first Clinton years would like an encore with Hillary, and when she's the smarter one of the family, well. She sadly doesn't have the exact charm of her husband, but she can't have it all or else it'd be too easy. Doesn't quite defend the poo poo she pulled when she was campaigning against Obama but that's small potatoes to the poo poo the right's been openly salivating over this time.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Epic High Five posted:

Your doubt would be correct

To this day, the picture the image displayed is usually:
:nws:

:nws:

The image in spoiler is of an unidentified south American man being tortured in what is likely the late-80's, almost certainly at the behest or training of the CIA
Yeah, that's the pic that's basically why I hardly talk with my father anymore when he posted this poo poo on Facebook and I said "That's not Ambassador Stevens".

> "Something something George Soros" *blocked*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so do they just make poo poo up, he go hosed up, but he was never raped and tortured, if he had been, you bet it would have been on every news channel ever. then he died of burns and smoke inhalation, a bunch Libyan tried to save him. so are the right wing assholes just making more poo poo up to make him more of a bloody shirt.

this.
No see because Obummer and Hillary refuse to release his body to the public, or the autopsy reports, or whatever the gently caress.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My favourite thing about the image is them saying that Liberals are starting to get desperate about Benghazi. :ironicat:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

As I've said before, the most confusing thing about BENGHAZI! is that unlike every moronic conspiracy theory in history, the victim in this case was Obama and Hillary's own subordinate! He was one of their own fellow Democrat. If he was a Republican like Arne Duncan or the guy who runs the FBI, at least this would have an iota of coherence.

Furthermore, the fact that they've been complaining endlessly that we should have sent as many soldiers (aka ARE TROOPS :911:) as it took to save Stevens is actually pretty shocking if you think about it. Because we have witnessed the first instance in the history of the Republic, where conservatives have found the one Democrat in existence that they seemed to be more than willing to risk the lives of our brave patriots in order to save. Imagine that.

But hey, we should probably do what they say and give every single person in Obama's administration their own personal mini army to protect them at all times.

edit: I'm trying to rack my brain trying to think of what the left-wing equivalent of this scandal is, and I'm coming up short.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 10, 2016

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Leofish posted:

I'm not familiar with SourceFed, so I don't know where it falls on the American media spectrum or how well-known it is... They appear to be just webby clicky stuff mostly... but you may start seeing this on Facebook today. It was posted yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/SourceFedNews/videos/1199514293432055/

It's a video wherein SourceFed alleges Google manipulated search suggestion results to favour Hillary Clinton and bury autocompletes about words like "criminal allegations" or "indictment." At least, at the end, they say they can't responsibly say the Clinton campaign had anything to do with it, because they have no proof of that, but it's an interesting bit of Internet that might become visible in the next day or so.

I saw it shared by an 80s music radio station (in Canada), so I dunno. :shrug:

Looks like Google autocomplete generally doesn't use words like "indictment" "murder", "rape" or things related to possible criminal charges. Nothing to do with Hillary, they exclude those words for all sorts of names.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

As I've said before, the most confusing thing about BENGHAZI! is that unlike every moronic conspiracy theory in history, the victim in this case was Obama and Hillary's own subordinate! He was one of their own fellow Democrat. If he was a Republican like Arne Duncan or the guy who runs the FBI, at least this would have an iota of coherence.

Furthermore, the fact that they've been complaining endlessly that we should have sent as many soldiers (aka ARE TROOPS :911:) as it took to save Stevens is actually pretty shocking if you think about it. Because we have witnessed the first instance in the history of the Republic, where conservatives have found the one Democrat in existence that they seemed to be more than willing to risk the lives of our brave patriots in order to save. Imagine that.

But hey, we should probably do what they say and give every single person in Obama's administration their own personal mini army to protect them at all times.

edit: I'm trying to rack my brain trying to think of what the left-wing equivalent of this scandal is, and I'm coming up short.

What's the criteria? Left-wing folks getting mad a Republican President for disingenuous reasons?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

What's the criteria? Left-wing folks getting mad a Republican President for disingenuous reasons?

No, that's too straightforward.

More like, left-wing folks getting mad at a Republican president for betraying a fellow Republican, and having said left-wing folks slit their wrists/cry themselves to sleep over it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

No, that's too straightforward.

More like, left-wing folks getting mad at a Republican president for betraying a fellow Republican, and having said left-wing folks slit their wrists/cry themselves to sleep over it.

Dick Cheney shooting a bitch in the face?

edit:

ooh ooh, the Scooter Libby CIA thing?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Chilichimp posted:

Dick Cheney shooting a bitch in the face?

edit:

ooh ooh, the Scooter Libby CIA thing?

But he got pardoned. :(

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

NPR, bastion of the hard left.

Not only is this not true now, but it's never been true and never been something they postured to be true, so I don't know where that little snipe comes from.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Kilroy posted:

No see because Obummer and Hillary refuse to release his body to the public, or the autopsy reports, or whatever the gently caress.
If they did release his body or the autopsy reports it wouldn't matter. For some reason people think that if you have witness testimony, photographs, or official autopsy reports as the basis of one side of an argument, and the other person says "the government can't be trusted" then you can just throw all that away and claim whatever you want to have happened and both should be given equal consideration.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I am told by Serious People that America is so far right that simply not parroting GOP talking points makes you hard left and that's why social security cuts are actually popular and why we should do it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tesseraction posted:

My favourite thing about the image is them saying that Liberals are starting to get desperate about Benghazi. :ironicat:
That's one of the great Freeper tells - when they start loudly reassuring each other that liberals are panicking or desperate or terrified, it's a sign that their narrative is starting to crumble and they desperately need to reinforce it and that they've taken a hit that they can't shrug off. "The way liberals won't stop talking about Romney's 47% comment just shows how desperate they are!!1!"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

But he got pardoned. :(

No he didn't. His sentence was commuted, which makes him still guilty of the crime, so his legal career is over.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FMguru posted:

That's one of the great Freeper tells - when they start loudly reassuring each other that liberals are panicking or desperate or terrified, it's a sign that their narrative is starting to crumble and they desperately need to reinforce it and that they've taken a hit that they can't shrug off. "The way liberals won't stop talking about Romney's 47% comment just shows how desperate they are!!1!"

"Oh man they are so happy about Obama and Biden trouncing us in the debates it just shows their true fear!"

Also lots of bonus IT'S NOT FAIRRRRRR THEY WERE MEANNN from guys that are constantly talking about how no one owes you poo poo, toughen up, and to stop asking for safe spaces. :allears:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Not only is this not true now, but it's never been true and never been something they postured to be true, so I don't know where that little snipe comes from.

What? The right-wing is obsessed with NPR and thinks it's goal is to spread the "liberal agenda" or some bullshit at the expense of the taxpayer.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Chilichimp posted:

No he didn't. His sentence was commuted, which makes him still guilty of the crime, so his legal career is over.

You are right, I am wrong. Before posting I control-F'd the his wiki page and saw "pardon" light up. If I had actually read the words I would not look dumb right now.

quote:

On December 10, 2007, Libby's lawyers announced that he would drop his appeal against his conviction in the case, leaving intact his remaining sentence and fine and leaving on his record his felony conviction, on condition of a full presidential pardon.[23] The next day, December 11, 2007, Bush issued 29 pardons but did not include Libby among them.[24][25] As a consequence of his conviction in United States v. Libby, Libby's license to practice law was suspended by the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania in December 2007.[26] On April 3, 2007, the District of Columbia Bar suspended his license to practice law in Washington, D.C., and recommended his disbarment pending his appeal of his conviction.[27][28] On March 20, 2008, after he dropped his appeal, he was disbarred by the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, in Washington, D.C., at least until 2012.[29]

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FMguru posted:

A marked contrast to the Reince Priebus method of just going "this is fine" over and over again as an rear end in a top hat satsuma rolls over his party establishment.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

You are right, I am wrong. Before posting I control-F'd the his wiki page and saw "pardon" light up. If I had actually read the words I would not look dumb right now.

Don't beat yourself up over it. :ohdear:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So wait, Trump was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and a brick of gold in his hand with a seven figure bank account in his name but that's being a self-made man. Since he's rich that means god likes everything he does and we need to accept the whimsies of our obvious superior since more money = better than.

That Hillary bitch though? Have you SEEN how much money she gets paid just for a speaking engagement? loving shameful how dare she make so much money it obviously means she's a bought and paid for political shill.

Interesting set of standards there. Yup, two standards. Different. There might be a phrase there I'm looking for now what could it be?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Chilichimp posted:

What? The right-wing is obsessed with NPR and thinks it's goal is to spread the "liberal agenda" or some bullshit at the expense of the taxpayer.

The poster I quoted was questioning their place in the "hard left" for hosting a contrarian opinion, which isn't something they've ever pretended to be.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Deified Data posted:

The poster I quoted was questioning their place in the "hard left" for hosting a contrarian opinion, which isn't something they've ever pretended to be.

He was making fun of how Right Wing Media likes to pretend NPR is hard left. You know, the Right Wing Media, the thing we occasionally talk about in this thread?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SumYungGui posted:

So wait, Trump was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and a brick of gold in his hand with a seven figure bank account in his name but that's being a self-made man. Since he's rich that means god likes everything he does and we need to accept the whimsies of our obvious superior since more money = better than.

That Hillary bitch though? Have you SEEN how much money she gets paid just for a speaking engagement? loving shameful how dare she make so much money it obviously means she's a bought and paid for political shill.

Interesting set of standards there. Yup, two standards. Different. There might be a phrase there I'm looking for now what could it be?

It's not just Hillary. The narrative of "rich, ivory tower liberals telling you, the working man, what to do!" is very strong. Contrast that to Romney the rich child and Tom Cotton with their multiple Ivy league degrees.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

He was making fun of how Right Wing Media likes to pretend NPR is hard left. You know, the Right Wing Media, the thing we occasionally talk about in this thread?

OK. "NPR is polite Fox News" is a common talking point here so I had no idea what he was going for.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Radish posted:

It's not just Hillary. The narrative of "rich, ivory tower liberals telling you, the working man, what to do!" is very strong. Contrast that to Romney the rich child and Tom Cotton with their multiple Ivy league degrees.

It's always been a strange irony that the Republican Party dogmatically tell you what to do while demanding the Democrats don't tell people what to do.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Deified Data posted:

OK. "NPR is polite Fox News" is a common talking point here so I had no idea what he was going for.

I don't think anyone says that. The attitude is more push back against the idea that NPR is the leftist version of Fox News that they hear from lots of people and it clearly is not.

Tesseraction posted:

It's always been a strange irony that the Republican Party dogmatically tell you what to do while demanding the Democrats don't tell people what to do.

Yeah the conservatives using STATES RIGHTS DON'T TELL US WHAT TO DO FEDS arguments to tell the cities what they can and can't do in regards to the bathroom laws is another great example of this.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 10, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

I don't think anyone says that. The attitude is more push back against the idea that NPR is the leftist version of Fox News that they hear from lots of people and it clearly is not.

Maybe it's a USPol thing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Deified Data posted:

USPol is a different species of goon, hairier of chin and airier of brane

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Knight posted:

If they did release his body or the autopsy reports it wouldn't matter. For some reason people think that if you have witness testimony, photographs, or official autopsy reports as the basis of one side of an argument, and the other person says "the government can't be trusted" then you can just throw all that away and claim whatever you want to have happened and both should be given equal consideration.
Yeah I get that, I'm just sharing what the delusion is. If they actually released the autopsy report then before you could say "God drat America" there would be a 1000-word blog post breathlessly explaining why it's a forgery. Basically Obama's birth certificate all over again.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, I was joking about how right wingers like to pretend that NPR is an arm of the CPUSA and Poe's Law kicked in.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
NPR gets a nicer enough penny from Koch that they get not-commercials talking about Koch non-profits.

They're a little bit suspect, but come on.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Radish posted:

I've definitely heard people in here argue that NPR is basically a neoliberal propaganda machine. Don't know how many argued it but I've heard it.

Not knowing too much about the specifics of NPR, I do find it interesting how I've been constantly hearing people on both sides of the spectrum claim that "the media" is in the tank for their opponent. It's liberal media on the right, corporate media on the left, and so on. And I have no doubt the media is biased (although I suspect more in their own self-interest than anything else), but the degree to which that accusation is wielded makes me suspect it's a defense against the discomfort of people possibly disliking or not supporting your candidate for rational reasons--clearly, people being manipulated by the media is the best and only explanation necessary!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Please don't take anything USpol, MSR or GBS say about politics as any sort of mainstream belief indicator it's mostly just angry retards yelling in a box

Actually yeah maybe you should take it that way

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I was really in the bag for Bernie, as well as a few of my friends who I reckon were marginally conservative. Since the primary is over* now, it's nothing but lamentations and gnashing of teeth from them, swearing to never vote for Hillary. Look, I'm bummed too, but until such a time comes (never) where the US goes to some sort of fractional/parliamentary representation system, we are beholden to the 2-party system and, while it sucks, the lesser of two evils is the pragmatic choice. Still, there are post after post of hardline anti-Hillary stuff, drat near straight off of RWM pages from these guys and it's depressing.

Indiana has been a bit of a swing state lately, and though it's not quite a 'decider' state like Ohio tends to be, if the pre-election polls are pointing at a dead heat between Trump and Hillary, you bet your rear end I'm voting for her.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

robotsinmyhead posted:

I was really in the bag for Bernie, as well as a few of my friends who I reckon were marginally conservative. Since the primary is over* now, it's nothing but lamentations and gnashing of teeth from them, swearing to never vote for Hillary. Look, I'm bummed too, but until such a time comes (never) where the US goes to some sort of fractional/parliamentary representation system, we are beholden to the 2-party system and, while it sucks, the lesser of two evils is the pragmatic choice. Still, there are post after post of hardline anti-Hillary stuff, drat near straight off of RWM pages from these guys and it's depressing.

Indiana has been a bit of a swing state lately, and though it's not quite a 'decider' state like Ohio tends to be, if the pre-election polls are pointing at a dead heat between Trump and Hillary, you bet your rear end I'm voting for her.

I hate this characterization of "lesser of two evils", when the choice is really more like "resist GOP leadership or don't"

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Zophar posted:

I hate this characterization of "lesser of two evils", when the choice is really more like "resist GOP leadership or don't"

I supposed there's no diplomatic way to say "knuckle under". I'm not anti-Hillary and would prefer to have voted for Sanders, but I'm sure there's people in the same boat that use that phrase.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

robotsinmyhead posted:

This one was a "fun" one I found on a friend's Facebook today:

quote:

What looks far more pathetic is Bernie, a secular Jew, becoming overnight the obedient political lapdog for Hilary who is known for being an anti semite along with her gutter mouthed mother

Also why are there at least three of these sorts of people on literally every Facebook post that even mentions Hillary Clinton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Dr Pepper posted:

:psyduck: I do not understand how this works in their mind.

I post a photo of my bf.
Dumbass sees it, posts "Hey fagger whats up with the man bun?" (It wasn't even a man bun)
I react.
Dumbass posts "wow brother, your girl's way overreacting."

I guess "fagger" was something they used to say a lot when they were 13 and I was supposed to know this. Lol who am I kidding I'm just supposed to not exist. They also can't imagine that their buddy grew up, and somehow in the 5 years I've known him I'm the reason he's been voting straight D for decades.

Anyway, not entirely unrelated, I am really moved by this stupid Brock thing. I have a friend who I can't even locate anymore because her rape case ruined her life and she had to move somewhere else. It was even less specious of circumstances. She was working with a client who purposefully paid off the company to be alone in the building with her after hours. He beat her brutally to the point she was sure she was going to die. And yet she was still accused of enjoying it. The trial was horribly long and invasive to her life, but she kept going because the DA so badly wanted to nail this guy because he had done it many times before. He had even murdered his own friend when he was a minor. Really bad man. Also a sufferer of affluenza.

But here's where I'm mad at the moment. People are treating this like the next gorilla/lion shooting flavor of the month outrage. I've seen comments posted at the end of the victims beautiful speech saying basically "How about we report on ISIS or real news?" This is real news. But because it's viewed as a woman trouble (men never get raped, no!) it's not treated like the important systemic issue that it is.

drat, this month has made me really bitter about men. I know not every guy is so inconsiderate, I live with one. But drat, the rest are so loud.