Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Studio lighting is really loving hot and they were probably being macho about not needing makeup. Spoilers: if you are going to be under that kind of light, take everything offered to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i didnt realize vileroze and the other dipshit look like twins

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Vileroze in the middle has a wife and child. Somehow

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
riot games are the most insane company i've ever seen in my life lol

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/274654/Riot_turns_to_fight_toxicity_in_the_workplace__starting_with_Riot.php

https://rework.withgoogle.com/case-studies/riot-games-assessing-toxicity/#challenge

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If they're keeping track of people with passive-aggressive behavior I am so hosed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think riot realizes that the big reason league of legends is so toxic is that you will never see those 9 other people ever again after any given match, and they have no way of knowing who you are. like, yeah, it speaks to a person's character at least a little, but there's a big difference between that and actually being a poo poo to your coworkers.

Like, I'm sure the kinds of guys that are obnoxious at work would also be obnoxious in-game, but correlation doesn't equal causation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and also that those dudes were bending over backwards to be less toxic in LoL because you were threatening to fire them over it

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The best reasoning I saw about toxicity is how competitive this is, and how team-focused everything is. If you're doing your drat best and there's two heavy anchors weighing you down and your promotion rides on this game then it's frustrating to try your best and still not be able to make as big of an impact as you'd like to. There's also a hefty time investment in this game and most people play multiple games in a row without breaks so it wears someone down over and over until they're basically always on edge over small things. It makes even level-headed people frustrated and want to lash out because you're sitting in this game for 40 minutes and someone does something so stupid that it's cost you the entire game and there was nothing you could do about it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

The best reasoning I saw about toxicity is how competitive this is, and how team-focused everything is. If you're doing your drat best and there's two heavy anchors weighing you down and your promotion rides on this game then it's frustrating to try your best and still not be able to make as big of an impact as you'd like to. There's also a hefty time investment in this game and most people play multiple games in a row without breaks so it wears someone down over and over until they're basically always on edge over small things. It makes even level-headed people frustrated and want to lash out because you're sitting in this game for 40 minutes and someone does something so stupid that it's cost you the entire game and there was nothing you could do about it.

For me I'm actually most likely to be toxic when I'm doing bad rather than my team. Some of the games that were most demoralising for me were ones where I was doing awful, on tilt, 0/10/1, can't contribute to anything, getting dived, but my team was doing okay so I'm stuck doing nothing but trying not to make things worse for 20 minutes.

At least when you're doing well and your team crashes and burns you can be trying and be like "well I did well there's always next game". The only time I ever lost my chill with goons was a game ages back where I was playing Ahri against a good Fizz and got behind and it was just horrible, like getting killed under tower trying to leech xp while hitting my entire kit and using both summoners horrible.

In any other game, if you lose you get to stop playing and try again. But since it's a team game, you can't leave until everyone else finishes. And you know you personally failed so you're on a hair trigger for someone going "dude stop dying". Like oh really, was I NOT supposed to die?? I had no idea thanks for the heads up.

That's my Cool Story about why league leads to toxicity.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

This is literally the most insane, stupid thing I've ever seen, and it makes me more and more glad that I play less and less.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

this might actually be one of the dumbest things i've ever read lmao

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Having a green ribbon in League of Legends works well for your resumé. You might be bronze but employers care about effort right? That's what counts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can see the argument of 'well, if a riot employee is toxic in-game, that sends a bad message' but actually tying it to their behavior in real life in any meaningful way is insane. it's one thing if they're constantly dropping slurs in-game but calling veigar a feeder for being 0/7/0 at 15 minutes does not mean they're going to be a problem at work.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yordles are lazy

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

all the people they fired are probably customer support like some sort of weird threat to the others (no one with an important job is worried about getting fired over flaming people ingame)

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So wait I'm confused--if you're a dick in game they're correlating you're a dick irl?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The article said they were using their Riot accounts to bully people in game which just seems moronic if you want to keep your job, especially if you're some low level CS rep.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Yeah I don't understand how this makes Riot the most insane group of people and man am I glad I quit this skinnerbox laden dunning kruger burden of knowledge game if you get fired for throwing your weight around as an employee lmao

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Those articles imply that all riot employees play league.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to turn down a senior architect/network engineer/financial/whatever that is otherwise qualified because they don't play your game.

Honestly working for riot would suck and I'd be embarrassed if anyone knew I was that associated with them.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
It's not that weird, but I think the public facing communications people at riot are all massive doofuses because they want to let you know how cool and right they are at all times

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Most PR people are like that but riot employs a lot of them and they usually have a dumb name and even dumber hair

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
if the idea of your boss calling you into his office for a meeting about how you've been passive aggressive in your free time away from work isn't funny and absurd to you i don't know man

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

exethan posted:

It's not that weird, but I think the public facing communications people at riot are all massive doofuses because they want to let you know how cool and right they are at all times

Yeah, they're dorks, but for the most part they're really unassuming dorks that don't do anything wrong, they're just... dorks.

Verv or Yash or Rinj, when we were playing against RiotDash (the idiot with the pink mohawk thing) what did his friend say when he was super pissed from us jabbing him? Something about getting off something something dick or riding it or something. Help me out here.

Lovechop posted:

if the idea of your boss calling you into his office for a meeting about how you've been passive aggressive in your free time away from work isn't funny and absurd to you i don't know man

they play the game their company makes that they work on both on the job and when they're out of the office they're still wearing their namebadge unless they're on an alternate account so they're still representing their company and probably shouldn't be a dildo--this isn't insane, this is like super self explanatory

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 10, 2016

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

They only found 25% of people they let go were also assholes in game. This whole study is a complete waste of time and money, which isn't surprising I guess.

Riot waste resources and man hours on some of the dumbest poo poo.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

I mean it's like why people have to be on their tip-toes on social media all the loving time with regards to their jobs the only difference here is it's a videogame. Just happens to be a videogame they attach their name to. And they work to develop that game. And they work for that company. If a Rioter wants to be a dick, they should as a smart person go on an account that does clearly state RIOTsomething on it and be a dick

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Servaetes posted:

they play the game their company makes that they work on both on the job and when they're out of the office they're still wearing their namebadge unless they're on an alternate account so they're still representing their company and probably shouldn't be a dildo--this isn't insane, this is like super self explanatory

i guess. i always found it really annoying to have riot people in my game anyway. everyone either jerks off super hard over them or spends all their time trying to piss them off. they should just use normal accounts imo

also since they ask for your solo queue accounts and stuff when you apply for their jobs i was imagining they were also checking those. idk though whatever

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Lovechop posted:

i guess. i always found it really annoying to have riot people in my game anyway. everyone either jerks off super hard over them or spends all their time trying to piss them off. they should just use normal accounts imo

I mean yeah. Generally I'm in the 2nd category where it's fun to see how much you can maybe get them mad because hey, I'm a bit of an rear end in a top hat, but I wouldn't lie to you if I was starry eyed playing with the two guys that made my favorite champions in the game in the goon mumble and shooting the poo poo with them

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

They only found 25% of people they let go were also assholes in game. This whole study is a complete waste of time and money, which isn't surprising I guess.

Riot waste resources and man hours on some of the dumbest poo poo.

The real problem is that this isn't the useful statistic. the useful statistic is "what percent of of toxic player-employees were fired" so that they can use toxicity as a gauge of employability.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
since we're talking about rito, I just want to say my fave Rioter is Scarizard. :)

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
about a year ago i almost applied for a riot job in my area because it looked like a pretty decent position, but i was filling out the form and as soon as i got to the bit where it asked for your account name i couldn't bring myself to write 'autistic weeaboo' and closed the window

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Lovechop posted:

also since they ask for your solo queue accounts and stuff when you apply for their jobs i was imagining they were also checking those. idk though whatever

Again this is like the same thing about social media checks and stuff that employers do. It's not fair in a lot of ways to judge and disqualify someone because they had a picture doing a kegstand on facebook or a smartass tweet or something in the hiring process but you are that person putting it up on display for people to see so the onus is on your rear end to make it more private. You're doing the same thing with applying to Riot with regards to that soloqueue account

Also my favorite Rioters were the two guys I got to play with--Volty and FeralPony, who made the awesome champions Draven/Kha'zix/Pre Rework Skarner and Hecarim/Rumble/Graves. Brackhar was cool too though. In the one goonman I played with him because he was mad about Rumble's design and said he was going to punch FeralPony at work for making such a bullshit champion

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 10, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only riot employee ive played with was some low level programming guy and the only informative fact he said was that he worked on the turret aggro change from a few years back

so naturally our blitz spent the entire game trying to hook him into tower

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

the only riot employee ive played with was some low level programming guy and the only informative fact he said was that he worked on the turret aggro change from a few years back

so naturally our blitz spent the entire game trying to hook him into tower

Did you ask him to explain how the gently caress it picks targets? Because that's been a mystery since they removed proximity targeting years ago.

Speaking of that, I remember there being a hilariously complicated formula for who gets hit by luden's if karthus ult with it active.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Lovechop posted:

I'd say that's under 10% of the games. Most of the time people either flat out not care or they find a cheeky way to ask for a mystery box.

Or they report you because you're not supposed to have Riot in your name.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
It's like registering your work email as a handle which is kind of creepy to me

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
whats the toxicity rating on asking for a raise

will they not honor you with a promotion if you dont work unpaid overtime on saturdays

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Did you ask him to explain how the gently caress it picks targets? Because that's been a mystery since they removed proximity targeting years ago.

Speaking of that, I remember there being a hilariously complicated formula for who gets hit by luden's if karthus ult with it active.
I don't know if it's still the case, but I think it was actually just the pick order of the enemy team. Whoever they picked first in champ select was the one that got hit by the luden's.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"Jane Bluth flamed her workmates by complaining about how her team gets less Gold per Hour than the teams in other companies, while Don Tuck cooperated with his team with off-record hours to get Barista, The Caffeine Crow released on schedule; i'm betting you all can guess who got the end-of-season 30 minute ballpit access ticket!"

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

exethan posted:

It's like registering your work email as a handle which is kind of creepy to me

Yeah I've only played with two Riot<Name> people in all the years I've been playing and both games were basically solely warped around people on both teams drawing attention to them and trying to either gently caress with them or blow smoke up their rear end. It seems really weird to me that they make their employees identify in game. It would be better IMO if they were incognito but still policed behavior in public games without drawing so much goddamn attention to themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Methanar posted:

Those articles imply that all riot employees play league.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to turn down a senior architect/network engineer/financial/whatever that is otherwise qualified because they don't play your game.

Honestly working for riot would suck and I'd be embarrassed if anyone knew I was that associated with them.

afaik they mostly hire league fans.

• Locked thread