Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
feeeeemale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Question to your Zenyatta players, how often are you guys using his alt fire? I just spam his single shots for long distance enemies, and it feels like if I try to use it to shotgun someone up close then I'm out of position and just get wrecked with my 150hp

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

I hope they buff zen without giving him health. The orbs were both way too strong before the line of sight change but the knee-jerk albeit necessary change made playing him way too dangerous and buff-spammy.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Question to your Zenyatta players, how often are you guys using his alt fire? I just spam his single shots for long distance enemies, and it feels like if I try to use it to shotgun someone up close then I'm out of position and just get wrecked with my 150hp

i don't use it too often, pretty much only when i know someone is about to come around a corner, or on a turret or something.

kaleedity posted:

I hope they buff zen without giving him health. The orbs were both way too strong before the line of sight change but the knee-jerk albeit necessary change made playing him way too dangerous and buff-spammy.

i think he still needs more health though. just a smidge.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I really need to play more 76. He's super cool but I feel like I'm gimping my team if I'm not McCree or Tracer.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Question to your Zenyatta players, how often are you guys using his alt fire?

if you feel like binding RMB to Next Track, you won't notice a gameplay difference.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

I really like him being an evil glass cannon support. A reduction to widow's effectiveness might be all he needs on the survivability end. I just hate how often you have to refresh things now.

I don't use his alt fire at all, but I'd probably try to use it more like symmetra's right click to deny an area. Left click fires as fast as right click charges up and deals more damage — 45 vs 35 per orb. If I played him more I'd probably try to work it in a bit for the oneshots.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Zorodius posted:

if you feel like binding RMB to Next Track, you won't notice a gameplay difference.

I bound my RMB to Discord orb so it's easier (for me).

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
It's not even good for peaking because the shots aren't instant. You have to lead them like Genji's shuriken.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lady Naga posted:

I really need to play more 76. He's super cool but I feel like I'm gimping my team if I'm not McCree or Tracer.

He is great for an off-healer as well, which makes up for not having the DPS of the other two.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The downside of a game where you're intended to switch heroes often and not "main" one character is that once you get good with any one character, your winrate (and thus, MMR) goes up when you're playing that character. So you keep getting matched against better and better players, and now if you ever switch from Lucio to try characters you haven't really played before like Winston or Pharah against the decent players your Lucio play has brought you up against, you get your poo poo pushed in.

So since you have fun and win when you're playing the one character you're already good at and get punched in the dick and lose when you try anyone else, it kind of disincentivizes the whole hero-switching thing they're supposedly trying to encourage. I wonder if a per-character MMR system would be possible. I dunno. Personally I would've been tempted if I were developing a game like this to have the solo queue work more like an MMO's, where people pick a character when they queue and then the system tries to put together 2xtanks 2xDPS 2xsupports (or whatever) from that. And if you don't like a long queue as DPS, you have an incentive to switch to tank/healer. Unfortunately, that would preclude intra-match switching.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 10, 2016

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Zen seems like a small buff away from being pretty OP

I personally would like to see no 1 shot body snipes in this game, or any game

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Just get good at every character, what's the problem?????

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Imagined posted:

The downside of a game where you're intended to switch heroes often and not "main" one character is that once you get good with any one character, your winrate (and thus, MMR) goes up when you're playing that character. So you keep getting matched against better and better players, and now if you ever switch from Lucio to try characters you haven't really played before like Winston or Pharah against the decent players your Lucio play has brought you up against, you get your poo poo pushed in.

So since you have fun and win when you're playing the one character you're already good at and get punched in the dick and lose when you try anyone else, it kind of disincentivizes the whole hero-switching thing they're supposedly trying to encourage. I wonder if a per-character MMR system would be possible. I dunno.

Maining a character is a bad idea and it's good that the game discourages you from doing it, it's way more important to be decent-to-okay with 3-4 guys than it is to be some sort of Genji god dashing and spamming everywhere. MOBAs encourage one-trick-ponying because you can reliably queue up as your role and the difficulty curve of learning multiple characters discourages you from adopting a handful of them while also trying to get basic gameplay mechanics down which is a problem that doesn't exist in Overwatch.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Even though the categories are kind of dumb I think if you have one character from each that you're ok with you're probably fine

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Samara posted:

400 games played and I'm 200/200. loving A

On a positive note, curbstomp games seem to be tapering off for me. Only 1/3 games for me feel completely one-sided.

The feelbads are still there when you get matched up against some Ex-CounterStrike Widow, a pro-Genji, Mercy+Pharah, and a skilled Zarya.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I played Zen for the first time last night and had a lot of fun with him, but he definitely felt fragile.

If they buffed his HP but dropped his damage a little would he still be a rounded character? I was surprised at how easily I was able to pick off guys I got a jump on or was able to outstrafe. Even killed a really bad Roadhog point blank with a fully charged LMB attack.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I believe I am a decent Mercy but I have a 42% and dropping winrate with her. Possibly because I make brilliant decisions like insisting on the mercy pick when my team is me, 4 flankers, and a dva

I should play more Zenyatta when no one else gives a poo poo

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I played Zen for the first time last night and had a lot of fun with him, but he definitely felt fragile.

If they buffed his HP but dropped his damage a little would he still be a rounded character? I was surprised at how easily I was able to pick off guys I got a jump on or was able to outstrafe. Even killed a really bad Roadhog point blank with a fully charged LMB attack.

I don't think he even needs a damage drop. Buff his health just enough so he can survive a widow bodyshot (converting some of his HP into armor would do this, I think) and give him some kind of mobility option and he's perfect. He should be getting pasted by Roadhogs and Widow headshots, but 150 HP on an immobile dude is just poo poo.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 10, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea I'm at the point where I can do half-way decent with Junkrat, 76 and maybe Mercy and McCree. Otherwise I just get stomped and yelled at for playing any other character.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

I don't think he would be. His damage seems to be very precisely set at 45/90 and 68/135. If you dropped his damage by a mere 5, it becomes 40/80 and 60/120 - he would no longer be able to kill the 250 HP characters in 2 Discord headshots, nor 200 HP characters with a Discord headshot and bodyshot, which means to deal with a Widowmaker he would have to land two headshots, while the Widowmaker would only have to land two body shots, one being a fraction of a second after the other one because she doesn't need another full charge.

I think a good starting point would be changing his HP to Armour, and also deleting Widowmaker.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i had my first instance of a pubbie swearing at me last night

he complained in team chat that he died 4 times to roadhog hooking him into the pit in ilios

i said maybe don't stand next to the pit, he said maybe suck my cock

another pubbie said yes but also maybe don't stand next to the pit

and that's my story of overwatch pubbies. they're almost always just silent(ly bad) in my games.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Samara posted:

400 games played and I'm 200/200. loving A

I played my 200th last night and am 103/97 but dropping. If you look back at my daily W/L you can actually see when I moved up in MMR. I have a week or so of going +1 or +2 in a night, then for the past week I've been reliably either 50/50 or –1.

Also, on console I think they are going to do something about Torb. When you watch streams of people dunking on him, it's generally folks on PC quickly cover peeking, which is a lot tougher to do on console. If you look at the relative stats, Torb has a 60% winrate on PC but it's nearly 70% on console. Meanwhile Widow is 2%–3% lower on console, since she's basically just a high-risk, high-reward bastion.

I've actually taken to choosing Mercy/Lucio in hero pick on Payload, then swapping to Widow until we get the inevitable 3 Torbs knocked down before bothering to swap back to heals. It's always just a race to see if I can knock them out before the team feeds them all ults.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Ohh I like the idea of giving Zenyatta a bit of armor. I haven't gone up against too many opposing Zenyatta's so I feel like I haven't seen the other side of the coin of how annoying he could be with a buff.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

8-bit Miniboss posted:

He's not supposed to be. Line of sight came in after beta because it was boring otherwise. He will never do more healing than Mercy because he makes up for it with his orb of discord and almost sniper like accuracy. You can wreck fools easy.
I don't mean more healing but not having to follow teammates around. I can put a healing orb on the tank or whoever then go off and do my own thing.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I played a KotH map with my friend where he wanted to play around with Symmetra. At the end of three pretty close rounds, some pubbie on my team started complaining about my friend, "btw symetra doesn't count as a healer" and was doing cute things like evading the profanity filter by putting - in the middle of his swear words

I played as Lucio for the first two rounds and Tracer for the last and had a full house of medals - 3 gold, 2 silver. The Symmetra pick wasn't a good one, but someone sweeping medals primarily as a Lucio means it wasn't just the Symmetra's fault.

But hey, what do you do. Sometimes people are just learning or experimenting. :shrug:

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i had my first instance of a pubbie swearing at me last night

he complained in team chat that he died 4 times to roadhog hooking him into the pit in ilios

i said maybe don't stand next to the pit, he said maybe suck my cock

another pubbie said yes but also maybe don't stand next to the pit

and that's my story of overwatch pubbies. they're almost always just silent(ly bad) in my games.
Are you in America? I play on PC Euro servers and its very rare for players to insult each other.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The way Battle.net updates makes absolutely zero sense to me and is incredibly frustrating.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Kurzon posted:

Are you in America? I play on PC Euro servers and its very rare for players to insult each other.

Is it because you weird euros don't even have insults and all pejoratives are actually friendly compliments?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
All Europeans know just enough English to tell me to go gently caress my mother, and so far that hasn't happened to me on Overwatch. I have seen one or two exchanges between other players. But generally everyone is sporting.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ohh I like the idea of giving Zenyatta a bit of armor. I haven't gone up against too many opposing Zenyatta's so I feel like I haven't seen the other side of the coin of how annoying he could be with a buff.

I don't know about giving him armour. Right now with no armour a perfect Reaper bodyshot kills Zen. With armour it would do 75 damage. Basically armour would at a ton of extra survivability against the likes of Reaper, Tracer, anyone who does lots and lots of low damage shots that he shouldn't necessarily have.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

The way Battle.net updates makes absolutely zero sense to me and is incredibly frustrating.

I feel like I've had to update it every day for 3 days now.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

MacheteZombie posted:

I feel like I've had to update it every day for 3 days now.

It's like, every time it updates, it makes a new folder inside the battle.net folder? Which creates a whole new application, which means that all my shortcuts are now broken. I have no fuckign clue why it works this way.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kurzon posted:

i am in the great state of Texas USA :911: and... yeah no i've never had any games with whining/bitching/raging pubbies like everyone else seems to get.

Slime posted:

I don't know about giving him armour. Right now with no armour a perfect Reaper bodyshot kills Zen. With armour it would do 75 damage. Basically armour would at a ton of extra survivability against the likes of Reaper, Tracer, anyone who does lots and lots of low damage shots that he shouldn't necessarily have.

if you leave his 100(?) shields the same, but make the bottom 50 hp into armor, reaper and others would still kill him very fast, but he wouldn't get one-shot by a widow, cause i think it'd leave him with 5 hp. so it'd just take a gentle, caressing breeze to kill him after, but it might help?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Kurzon posted:

I play on NA and EU and there isn't any difference.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules

Kurzon posted:

My second ever Overwatch game someone called me a 'human being trash Mei'.

I was playing vs. easy AI.

I just wanted to the play the bae. :(

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i am in the great state of Texas USA :911: and... yeah no i've never had any games with whining/bitching/raging pubbies like everyone else seems to get.

if you leave his 100(?) shields the same, but make the bottom 50 hp into armor, reaper and others would still kill him very fast, but he wouldn't get one-shot by a widow, cause i think it'd leave him with 5 hp. so it'd just take a gentle, caressing breeze to kill him after, but it might help?

With how armour works, that doubles his current survivability against Reaper and Tracer. It's a pretty extreme difference for those characters, while a Widow would still effectively delete him .5 seconds later than she currently does.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Playing Mercy for pubs is the most infuriating experience on earth and I don't know why I keep doing it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm on EU and I see lovely players all the time. Last night someone was repeatedly calling an enemy Tracer a human being, because they dared to use Blink.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I've started playing D.Va in anticipation of her getting a good buff, and I'm pretty much loving the play style already.

I do find, however, all my PotGs with her usually feature crackback deaths from overextending on ults. But it's so tempting to ram the mech into a swarm of reds, slam Q and try to leg it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PedxfWDCmCA

gently caress you Lucio and your stupid bump shot. This could have been a beaut of a PotG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Xaerael posted:

I've started playing D.Va in anticipation of her getting a good buff, and I'm pretty much loving the play style already.

I do find, however, all my PotGs with her usually feature crackback deaths from overextending on ults. But it's so tempting to ram the mech into a swarm of reds, slam Q and try to leg it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PedxfWDCmCA

gently caress you Lucio and your stupid bump shot. This could have been a beaut of a PotG.

The worst thing about D.Va being pretty weak right now is that she's still really fun to play. I remember getting really frustrated when I first tried her out, but still wanted to play her in spite of it.