Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Triglav posted:

I think the 2014 mobo's socket type lacked a usable high-end Intel chip at the time of release.

I'd be down with a mini-mini Macbook-style option, i.e. all on one chip and great power usage, the size of an iPhone, a Macberry Pi. :allears:

I would also buy a Macberry Pi. Probably twice. But only if you could add on via USBC/TB3.

Speaking of which, how technically feasible (Assuming drivers and etc) would it be to create multi-system processing via TB3? Like, linking several Minis together and creating a mecha-MacOS beast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Mac mini demographic is not the type to upgrade every 2 years necessarily, but Apple hasn't helped by unapologetically shoving crippled hardware in there (basically a MacBook Air with a spinning drive on the low end).

Honestly, it's been such a pain in the rear end to wait for Apple to put up to date hardware in its computers. I have been sitting on the decision to buy a kitted out 15" for like 2 years because the processors have never been up to date.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fleshweasel posted:

The Mac mini demographic is not the type to upgrade every 2 years necessarily, but Apple hasn't helped by unapologetically shoving crippled hardware in there (basically a MacBook Air with a spinning drive on the low end).

Honestly, it's been such a pain in the rear end to wait for Apple to put up to date hardware in its computers. I have been sitting on the decision to buy a kitted out 15" for like 2 years because the processors have never been up to date.

People have been bitching that CPUs haven't been worth upgrading since Sandy Bridge though.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

computer parts posted:

People have been bitching that CPUs haven't been worth upgrading since Sandy Bridge though.

It's true that the processors themselves aren't really worth updating, but Apple has gone to great lengths to make it so that there is no other sort of enticement to do so, either. The last generation of Minis, they specifically put in less powerful processors as well as soldering RAM to mainboards. Their marketing literature for the Mini's last generation was basically around how it cut from 13W at idle to 9W at idle. Even in a datacenter scenario where you might have a few hundred, that's not a huge cost savings - certainly not enough to make up the entry price to turn over the systems. It's also probably a loss in those scenarios simply because you are unable to select an i7 option in the 2014s.

I would have preferred if they had driven performance parity instead of driving battery lives just a bit higher each generation.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
9Ws is loving amazing, though. :swoon: I'm pleased with my HTPC pulling ~25W idle, but I'm no friend of the fishies after all!

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

9Ws is loving amazing, though. :swoon: I'm pleased with my HTPC pulling ~25W idle, but I'm no friend of the fishies after all!

Granted it's a nice number....but if you had a 2012 taking 13W, would you pay at least $500 (more for any selected options at order) to upgrade to a significantly less-powerful system and save 4W?

And if you really wanted to save money on the HTPC's power use, you'd get a dual core atom instead of an i3 as well as all the storage on SSDs/Aggressively Parked HDDs.. :v:

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing single user mode doesn't usually have cool blue lines in the background (other modes don't boot at all... late-2011 15").

Can they replace the logic board at the Apple store, or do they send it away for repair? Trying to decide whether I should mail this in or make the couple hour drive to the Apple store.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arsten posted:

Granted it's a nice number....but if you had a 2012 taking 13W, would you pay at least $500 (more for any selected options at order) to upgrade to a significantly less-powerful system and save 4W?

And if you really wanted to save money on the HTPC's power use, you'd get a dual core atom instead of an i3 as well as all the storage on SSDs/Aggressively Parked HDDs.. :v:

Yeah it's not just an HTPC, I considered a RPi for that since it's still like 5x lower power consumption than a Mac mini. But that plus NAS and file management is a lot of babysitting for like, $200 in potential savings and maybe 10w lower consumption. Mostly I wanted a layperson-proof setup. But still, I wish I could have justified a Mac mini. :ohdear:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Triglav posted:

I think the 2014 mobo's socket type lacked a usable high-end Intel chip at the time of release.

I'd be down with a mini-mini Macbook-style option, i.e. all on one chip and great power usage, the size of an iPhone, a Macberry Pi. :allears:
iOS Server based on Apple TV :v:

fleshweasel posted:

That was my original plan with Mac minis: cheaper machines and upgrade regularly, rather than my previous big rear end expensive purchase and holding on as long as possible, which really sucked towards the end of their lives. It was going fine until Apple kinda neutered the mini, and with CPU advancements slowing down it wouldn't have been that hard to hold on to a machine longer anyway.

On the plus side because of that slowed progress, my 2011 is...still ok enough at least, but I've been ready for a big upgrade for a while now. Hell I might consider a Mac Pro in 2017 if the confluence of new technologies all happen come together, if they update it at all. Realistically I'd probably cheap out and get a Mac mini though. (...gotta save money cause I also want another one as a home server).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My Mac mini is my plex server and a retro games emulation machine. I replaced the spinning platter with an ssd, and have my media library and ROM library on an external USB 3 drive. For the plex display I use an Apple tv. For downloading I use a combo of sabnzbd and transmission. Everything works incredibly smoothly. I could have bought a cheaper PC to do all of this but it wouldn't be as satisfying to use since I wouldn't be using macOS.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a recommended USB hub for iMacs? Specifically a 2015 27"?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I don't think it matters honestly.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tide posted:

Is there a recommended USB hub for iMacs? Specifically a 2015 27"?

I have a $20 usb 3.0 one and a $15 one and they have identical transfer speeds on the same devices. The $15 one is much sexier. It's that black Anker 4-port deal. I recommend it, though get whatever. I'm in Canada so I'm sure you can find one for 10% of the cost.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It doesn't matter, the standard is standard. Just don't cheap out, since it's going to be supplying power, and cheap power supplies will kill your poo poo dead right-quick if it goes bad.

Just make sure it's USB 3.0 and from a well-known manufacturer and you're good to go. Checking reviews wouldn't hurt too, sometimes even simple devices like hubs have known issues.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Froist posted:

We have a ton of them at work for build and/or test machines; unfortunately we only got one of the quad-core i7s before they nerfed that option in an "update". Likewise though, I don't know anyone who owns one personally - NUCs are a far nicer form factor if you really want a small computer, though obviously not running OS X macOS. I'd probably buy a hypothetical coffee-cup style mini though..

I bought the 2012 model and it's been hooked up to my tv as a media station ever since.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Another vote for the Anker USB hub. The blue lights are purdy. :bigtran:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Somehow the wirecutter's last recommendation (which I bought :( ) has some kind of OS X incompatibility, which I think I've run into. System is powered, hub looks on, but it won't power some USB3 hard drives until I reboot the Mac.

All that to say it's possible for a USB3 hub to suck still!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone got any good suggestions as to why my Retina iMac doesn't have the display go to sleep anymore? (I have it set in Power saver in System Preferences.)

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Do you have some weird process in the background that's preventing it? There's plenty of stuff that if running will disable sleep.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I looked in activity monitor for the prevent sleep =yes under the Energy pane. Everything was =No. Other than that I'm not sure where to check that...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MrBond posted:

Somehow the wirecutter's last recommendation (which I bought :( ) has some kind of OS X incompatibility, which I think I've run into. System is powered, hub looks on, but it won't power some USB3 hard drives until I reboot the Mac.

All that to say it's possible for a USB3 hub to suck still!

Did you get the HooToo or the Anker?

The Wirecutter now has a section about OS deficiencies and confirmed their old pick, the HooToo, had issues with recent Macs and have modified their pick to an Anker 10-port hub. Sucks that a lot of people bought the HooToo on their recommendation and got hosed, but at least they owned up to it. Evidently they never tested the HooToo on the Mac. Fuckers, I'ma send a comment to every single new recommendation they jerk out from now on, that consists of the words "Did you actually test this on a loving Mac?!!"

Also, there's this, written by a long time contributor to the Macintouch website.. according to him, the current implementation of USB 3.0 in El Capitan is majorly hosed:

MacInTouch posted:

James Katt

I held off on upgrading my MacBook Pro 15 Retina to OS X 10.11 El Capitan because it is my work computer. I finally was forced to upgrade this past weekend after several app developers decided to only support OS X 10.11 for their apps.

Generally things worked well except for the USB 3.0 ports and the printer driver to my Lexmark T640 - and these problems drive me nuts.

In 10.11, an Apple engineer completely rewrote the USB drivers. The new drivers appear to employ the use of ACPI to a much greater extent than the previous drivers. The drivers use ACPI to obtain information about which ports are active. Often, this information is wrong and needs to be updated. But rather than update the information about what ports are active to correct the situation, Apple failed to do so. This is the bug.

In fact, this bug even prevented Apple's own Macs from working. So another Apple engineer rather than correct the bug, decided to hack OS X by creating a port injector to override the DSDT so that Macs could work. But this solution does not work for external USB 3.0 hubs.

The limitation that the new USB driver leaves us is that each external USB 3.0 hub needs one controller chip for every 4 USB 3.0 ports. Only a few external USB 3.0 hubs do this - such as the Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub with 25W Power Adapter and Two Ports with BC 1.2 Charging Support.

So as a result of this driver bug, the vast majority of external USB 3.0 hubs with more than 4 ports fail.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 11, 2016

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I have this heavy aluminum bastard from Orico and it works awesome:

All ports work, speeds are great. It's powered and seems to charge anything I plug in. Goes for about $35 on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Aluminum-12V2-5A-Adapter-3-3Ft/dp/B00C93DDJG

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Binary Badger posted:

Did you get the HooToo or the Anker?

The Wirecutter now has a section about OS deficiencies and confirmed their old pick, the HooToo, had issues with recent Macs and have modified their pick to an Anker 10-port hub. Sucks that a lot of people bought the HooToo on their recommendation and got hosed, but at least they owned up to it. Evidently they never tested the HooToo on the Mac. Fuckers, I'ma send a comment to every single new recommendation they jerk out from now on, that consists of the words "Did you actually test this on a loving Mac?!!"

Also, there's this, written by a long time contributor to the Macintouch website.. according to him, the current implementation of USB 3.0 in El Capitan is majorly hosed:

I got the HooToo :( It works /most/ of the time but the times it wigs out are super annoying :(

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
For some reason, my computer has lost the ability to detect the internal display. It works fine with an external display, but it doesn't even show the internal display in System Report. I've already tried zapping the PRAM and SMC, to no effect. It's an early 2015 13" rMBP.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 11, 2016

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered
My work was getting rid of some sold Macs after a team was laid off. I bought the old manager's computer (Mac Pro mid-2012) and a 27" LED Cinema Display for $300. I mention the price and all that because I didn't seem to pay much for it and I want to do some upgrades since I want to switch to that as my main home computer. The computer I have at home is one that I built in the summer of 2007 and besides some RAM and a video card upgrade, it's pretty much like when I bought it.

I've installed Windows 8.1 (It looks like that is as new as I can get with Windows) and Parallels so I can switch back and forth easily. It looks like the manager hooked herself up because it has dual 6-core 3.05 GHz CPUs and upgraded the video card to an ATI Radeon HD 5870. It has 16 GB of RAM so I'm not too concerned about upgrading that and the 2x1TB HDD and 512 GB SSD that the OS is on seem good.

I read about upgrading the video cards and it looks like there are some Apple specific ones that need some firmware to boot into OS X correctly but if I am mainly booting in Windows, I can seemingly get whatever I want. I don't really understand that part so I'm not sure what to buy. I want to get a good video card for random PC games that I'll play but I want to spend money wisely and not get something that the CPU/Motherboard won't be able to take full advantage of. Would I be better off trying to find a second ATI Radeon HD 5870 and running two of those? Can anyone recommend something worthwhile to put in this one or point me in the right direction? The articles I found are dated somewhere around 2013-14 and I haven't found anything more recent.

Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's a pretty insane deal you got. I want one.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

E-Diddy posted:

My work was getting rid of some sold Macs after a team was laid off. I bought the old manager's computer (Mac Pro mid-2012) and a 27" LED Cinema Display for $300. I mention the price and all that because I didn't seem to pay much for it and I want to do some upgrades since I want to switch to that as my main home computer. The computer I have at home is one that I built in the summer of 2007 and besides some RAM and a video card upgrade, it's pretty much like when I bought it.

I've installed Windows 8.1 (It looks like that is as new as I can get with Windows) and Parallels so I can switch back and forth easily. It looks like the manager hooked herself up because it has dual 6-core 3.05 GHz CPUs and upgraded the video card to an ATI Radeon HD 5870. It has 16 GB of RAM so I'm not too concerned about upgrading that and the 2x1TB HDD and 512 GB SSD that the OS is on seem good.

I read about upgrading the video cards and it looks like there are some Apple specific ones that need some firmware to boot into OS X correctly but if I am mainly booting in Windows, I can seemingly get whatever I want. I don't really understand that part so I'm not sure what to buy. I want to get a good video card for random PC games that I'll play but I want to spend money wisely and not get something that the CPU/Motherboard won't be able to take full advantage of. Would I be better off trying to find a second ATI Radeon HD 5870 and running two of those? Can anyone recommend something worthwhile to put in this one or point me in the right direction? The articles I found are dated somewhere around 2013-14 and I haven't found anything more recent.

Thanks!

I know that the Radeon HD7950 is supported by Mavericks and later OS's and that's still a decent video card for gaming. As far as Nvidia goes, something like a GTX 770 or 780 will do the job nicely, or even a 970/980 if you're running Yosemite and later. Nvidia cards may need the "web drivers" in order to work, they're downloadable from Nvidia.

Now there's two ways you can go: either buy a PC version of the card(which is cheap) and you'll lose all graphics until it actually boots into MacOS, but once the login screen pops up, everything is normal.

Or buy the SPECIAL MAC VERSION of the card(which is the exact same card with a special Mac bios) and pay quite a bit more. There's essentially nothing different except a small amount of code flashed onto the card, but some people find it worth the extra expense to be able to watch the boot process. It's up to you.

You can find Mac-flashed cards on eBay if you want to go that route, or places such as MacVidcards.com offer both flashed cards or they'll flash your own PC Card to the Mac firmware.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

computer parts posted:

Yeah...I'd be hard pressed to give regular people a good reason to upgrade their Intel CPUs. At the rate Intel is going now, people will gladly inherit CPUs from their grandparents. Everything is stuck at ~4GHz (yes, I know why, but still), same price points, same number of cores, roughly the same performance etc. etc.

I understand about the thermal limitations, but they could at least add a few cores each other generation or so. But nope, nearly total stagnation. (Yes I know about energy usage, GPUs on the CPU and so on, but given the choice I'd go for better performance.)

One thing Apple CAN do and that I'd like for them to do is to finally have a 32 GB (or more) memory option for at least the 15" MBP.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Quad core on the smaller MBP would be nice, they could have small/big MBs with dual core and MBPs with the quads. Use the new Xeon branded ones to be extra "pro" if necessary.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

japtor posted:

Quad core on the smaller MBP would be nice, they could have small/big MBs with dual core and MBPs with the quads. Use the new Xeon branded ones to be extra "pro" if necessary.

I doubt we'll ever see a Xeon in any of Apple's product stack outside of the Mac Pro.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Out of nowhere in the last week I think I have that OS X / Safari bug where webpages take an age to load. Is there a known fix for it? I thought it just got cleared up in an update a while back....

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

:woz:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

As far as Nvidia goes, something like a GTX 770 or 780 will do the job nicely, or even a 970/980 if you're running Yosemite and later. Nvidia cards may need the "web drivers" in order to work, they're downloadable from Nvidia.

Bzzzt, sorry wrong, thanks for playing. GTX 660's and up to 780s have native support in Apple drivers because they're in iMacs from 2012 onward.

Only cards that really need 'web drivers' are the 950's and up, which don't exist as built-in options on any Macs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Binary Badger posted:

Bzzzt, sorry wrong, thanks for playing. GTX 660's and up to 780s have native support in Apple drivers because they're in iMacs from 2012 onward.

Only cards that really need 'web drivers' are the 950's and up, which don't exist as built-in options on any Macs.

The 780s need the web drivers, as I don't believe Apple ever provided a native driver for GK110. But the 770 and below all had native drivers in part because GK104 made an appearance mobile side.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

SourKraut posted:

The 780s need the web drivers, as I don't believe Apple ever provided a native driver for GK110. But the 770 and below all had native drivers in part because GK104 made an appearance mobile side.

You're right, but it's only the 780Ti, GK110B based cards that need web drivers, GK110A such as found in the iMac 27-inch Late 2013 GTX 780Ms can use native drivers.

So yeah, I stand corrected on that one point.

JnnyThndrs posted:

You can find Mac-flashed cards on eBay if you want to go that route, or places such as MacVidcards.com offer both flashed cards or they'll flash your own PC Card to the Mac firmware.

Or save money by flashing them yourself by studiously reading NetKas's, MacRumors, or tonymac forums and flash like a boss.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 13, 2016

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I forgot to make a WWDC thread, but also, we're probably not getting new MacBooks now. :(

I'll lock this for now, please post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426005 (or YOSPOS: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779615) in the interim.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

RIP my trusty 2009 MBP

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

For those who came in late:

No new hardware announced at WWDC.

: sad bugle toot:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hopefully September :smith:

Dropped my iPhone in the lake over the weekend, so I eagerly await iPhone 7 + new MBP in September so I can get both new things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Binary Badger posted:

For those who came in late:

No new hardware announced at WWDC.

: sad bugle toot:

Boo! So now to decide between rMB and rMBP. Biggest thing hanging me up is to pay out for 512 hard drive on the MacBook, or get the 256 Pro and pick up one of those flush card holders.