Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
you have a gesture for keyboard backlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

enojy posted:

Can someone educate me on the best price vs. quality ~27" monitor to use with a 2015 13" MBP? Do I want to splurge on something bigger than 1920x1080 lest it look like junk compared to the built-in Retina display? Ideally, I'd like to stay around $200.

Also, Apple's specs claim it'll only do 1080p@60Hz via HDMI, while any higher resolution gets cut down to 30Hz. Is there an alternative way to connect a larger resolution monitor and have the refresh rate stick to 60Hz? Thunderbolt?
It would be more than $200 but have you thought about a used 27" Apple Cinema Display? That's what I have plugged into my 2013 13" rMBP and it's awesome. I already had a so-so Acer 21.5" 1080p display so I figured I would upgrade to 2560x1440 and have not regretted it one bit.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bob Morales posted:

It would be more than $200 but have you thought about a used 27" Apple Cinema Display? That's what I have plugged into my 2013 13" rMBP and it's awesome. I already had a so-so Acer 21.5" 1080p display so I figured I would upgrade to 2560x1440 and have not regretted it one bit.

Nope, haven't even looked at used/refurbished Apple displays yet! My interest was piqued because I've been using Xcode a lot more recently, and I just want poo poo to be bigger. 1680x1050 on the 13" MBP is fine for just about everything but Xcode. Newegg also had this on sale, and I was like huh, a 27" monitor isn't as expensive as I'd thought. Only 1080p, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

enojy posted:

Nope, haven't even looked at used/refurbished Apple displays yet! My interest was piqued because I've been using Xcode a lot more recently, and I just want poo poo to be bigger. 1680x1050 on the 13" MBP is fine for just about everything but Xcode. Newegg also had this on sale, and I was like huh, a 27" monitor isn't as expensive as I'd thought. Only 1080p, though.

It's hard to find a good one and then you have to get an adapter because so few cheap ones have Displayport connectors

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Arsten posted:

:raise: Why would you need sixty eight ports when you can connect almost nothing to your iOS device in the first place?

Although, if they would integrate mouse support into the iPhone/iPad, it would be nice to dock them into a desktop setup with screen and such. I'm sure this is right around the corner. :v:
I just meant Lightning or USB-C and audio mini jack, you know it's all going away eventually!

And why physically dock to a desktop when you can do it all wirelessly through your Apple TV :v:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

enojy posted:

If you have patience, you can wait for a cheap 27" 1440p refurb monitor off the Acer store.

http://acerrecertified.com/27-and-Up

Sometimes you can get lucky and pick one up for $200~

edit: You can also go the cheap Korean 27" 1440p monitor route but I don't recommend that with Macbook computers. I have the official apple adapter (MDP -> Dual DVI) but for some reason my korean monitor does not play nicely with my rMBP with a m370x. The screen flickers every 4 seconds.

It's strange though, the korean monitor plays perfectly nice with my 11" MBA though. It makes me assume it has to do with the m370x.

double edit: I went to go play with it again and it seems like the screen does not flicker when I use bootcamp. So it has to do with a software problem with the m370x

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 1, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It's hard to find a good one and then you have to get an adapter because so few cheap ones have Displayport connectors

Those adapters are like ten bucks though. I use an AmazonBasics one that works perfectly.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

japtor posted:

I just meant Lightning or USB-C and audio mini jack, you know it's all going away eventually!

And why physically dock to a desktop when you can do it all wirelessly through your Apple TV :v:

Everything becomes obsolete. Especially us. :v:

For the docking, I would prefer to physically dock to something because you can't lock your screen/turn off the display on the iPad and have it use the second screen exclusively so you need a power source to drive that giant, power hungry slab of glass. So, into the chargerplug with ya. (Also, TV screens SUCK for text at rear end-on-couch distances).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Arsten posted:

Everything becomes obsolete. Especially us. :v:

For the docking, I would prefer to physically dock to something because you can't lock your screen/turn off the display on the iPad and have it use the second screen exclusively so you need a power source to drive that giant, power hungry slab of glass. So, into the chargerplug with ya. (Also, TV screens SUCK for text at rear end-on-couch distances).

I have a 70 inch tv and it's fine for using a computer as a computer, I think anything smaller than like 60 inches wouldn't work though, it's terrible on our 42. There's no good way to use a mouse and kb on a couch, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

tuyop posted:

I have a 70 inch tv and it's fine for using a computer as a computer, I think anything smaller than like 60 inches wouldn't work though, it's terrible on our 42. There's no good way to use a mouse and kb on a couch, though.

For our htpc I use the snazzy Logitech wireless kb that has a two finger trackpad on it. It's very nice and around a hundred bucks.

I'd be interested in that I think corsair? Couch gaming job with a long USB cord and mouse platform, but i dunno if it's out yet.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Speaking of Apple Displays, I saw this on Slashdot today:

http://hothardware.com/news/apple-5k-retina-thunderbolt-display-integrated-gpu

A 5K Retina display with.... a discrete GPU embedded in the device? Could be a cool solution for taking a thin and light laptop and allowing it to do more GPU heavy tasks sort of like the external GPU talk that's gone on the past year or so. But I'm wondering if tying the GPU to a (assuming) $1,000+ display is going to be a bummer when the display is still fine in 4+ years but the GPU is woefully out of date?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

I have a 64 or 65" screen and it murders my eyes if I'm not close enough to eye-hump the individual pixels (about 20 feet).

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MrChupon posted:

A 5K Retina display with.... a discrete GPU embedded in the device? Could be a cool solution for taking a thin and light laptop and allowing it to do more GPU heavy tasks sort of like the external GPU talk that's gone on the past year or so. But I'm wondering if tying the GPU to a (assuming) $1,000+ display is going to be a bummer when the display is still fine in 4+ years but the GPU is woefully out of date?

Huh.

Arsten posted:

If you look at it that way, then using the TB2/3 to allow for upgrades would mean that you'd buy that upgrade a year into their release cycle and see no need to upgrade the following year because the new processor and RAM is all-but identical to your current processor and RAM. The software is actually getting faster simply because you can't count on speedier and beefier machines in a constant upgrade cycle.
I was wrong. :smithfrog:

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Anyone have a good source for refurbished Mac accessories? I lost my MagSafe2 45w adapter while traveling and the official replacement is steep at $80.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

howdoesishotweb posted:

Anyone have a good source for refurbished Mac accessories? I lost my MagSafe2 45w adapter while traveling and the official replacement is steep at $80.

I'd get the steep new one. The power adapter is the one thing that can catch fire and burn you to death in your sleep.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

MrChupon posted:

But I'm wondering if tying the GPU to a (assuming) $1,000+ display is going to be a bummer when the display is still fine in 4+ years but the GPU is woefully out of date?

It will be a bummer and knowing Apple they will do something like cram a 1070m into a 32 inch 5k display.

This wouldn't be so bad to game on if you could play in integer scaling mode at 2560x1440 but no one will ever write those drivers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Would the device you're plugging the display into not power it graphically? Like the old Thunderbolt Display doesn't have any graphics chip inside. Is this because no single cable can stream 5k yet?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Would the device you're plugging the display into not power it graphically? Like the old Thunderbolt Display doesn't have any graphics chip inside. Is this because no single cable can stream 5k yet?

quote:

Thunderbolt 3 is based on the DisplayPort 1.2 specification and can support up to 2 streams (eight lanes) of DisplayPort 1.2 video bandwidth. A single cable now provides four times the data and twice the video bandwidth of any other cable, while also supplying up to 100W of power.
One 4K display (4096 x 2160) 30-bit @ 120 Hz
One 5K display (5120 x 2880) 30-bit @ 60 Hz
Two 4K displays each (4096 x 2160) 30-bit @ 60 Hz

- See more at: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/faq#sthash.UHPNC8Xi.dpuf

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

MrChupon posted:

iMore with the wet blanket.

iMore posted:

There'd been some speculation on Twitter and rumor reports about Apple possibly introducing a display with an integrated eGPU. Theory being, it would take some of the graphical processing overhead off MacBooks and/or facilitate a single-cable connection that could drive 5K. It sounds cool, but I asked around, and it's not happening at the keynote or any time in the immediate future.

Their sources are usually pretty good.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arsten posted:

I have a 64 or 65" screen and it murders my eyes if I'm not close enough to eye-hump the individual pixels (about 20 feet).

We sit like 15 feet from the 70". I got the laser eyes last fall though so my vision is pretty good. Kind of a curse because I didn't used to care that much about SD video, but now I hate it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

We sit like 15 feet from the 70". I got the laser eyes last fall though so my vision is pretty good. Kind of a curse because I didn't used to care that much about SD video, but now I hate it.

Getting old: The ultimate anti-aliasing. :v:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arsten posted:

Getting old: The ultimate anti-aliasing. :v:

I'm gonna put my old glasses on next time I have to watch low quality video. Thanks for the tip!

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

I'm gonna put my old glasses on next time I have to watch low quality video. Thanks for the tip!

Migraines: The secret to pitch-perfect black! :v:

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

edit: nevermind

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 6, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's the bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Saw this going around yesterday. Apparently the 2016 rMB *can* do 4K @ 60Hz, but Apple has limited it for some reason. Cooling/stability maybe.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/06/04/how-to-enable-4k-60hz-resolution-2016-macbook/

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I hope they announce an updated Mac Mini this year. If so, I'm definitely pulling the trigger :ohdear:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

eightysixed posted:

If so, I'm definitely pulling the trigger :ohdear:

RIP

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If that's what it takes, thank you for your sacrifice :rip:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

So you guys are saying it's unlikely? Well I guess we'll find out next week. If not, Mac Mini refurb it is :saddowns:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

eightysixed posted:

So you guys are saying it's unlikely? Well I guess we'll find out next week. If not, Mac Mini refurb it is :saddowns:

I was making a joke about you 'pulling the trigger' (killing yourself). It's not funny if I have to explain it.

None of us really know Apple's plans, but they do neglect the Mac Mini line, so I wouldn't expect it personally, not at a big event. They'd do a quiet refresh. But I have 0 insider information, that's just gut feeling.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Oh. Yea. Got it. Either the joke wasn't funny, or went way over my head. Point is, I want a Mac Mini, but I also don't want to buy one now, and they announce a new one next week. It's been two years since the last refresh, so I have (had, not I guess :( ) high hopes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
And six years since a full redesign, optical drives were still an option back then!

Course that means if they do redesign it it'll probably be a tiny box with super low power leftover MacBook scraps :smithicide:. I just want Skull Canyon in a mini trash can form factor!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

japtor posted:

Course that means if they do redesign it it'll probably be a tiny box with super low power leftover MacBook scraps :smithicide:. I just want Skull Canyon in a mini trash can form factor!

:lol: Yeah, make a baby Mac Pro that looks like a hockey puck on steroids, people will glue handles onto them and pretend they're drinking coffee, etc.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I mean I can see why they neglect the Mini. Apple's all about hype and high margins, Mini is cheap and no one gets excited for them and they don't sell very well. It makes business sense to ignore them and focus on their profit centres, portables and mobile devices. Just sucks for people who do want a baby Mac, I get it. Who knows, hopefully you'll get a refresh. You never know.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

I mean I can see why they neglect the Mini. Apple's all about hype and high margins, Mini is cheap and no one gets excited for them and they don't sell very well. It makes business sense to ignore them and focus on their profit centres, portables and mobile devices. Just sucks for people who do want a baby Mac, I get it. Who knows, hopefully you'll get a refresh. You never know.

Actually, the 2010s and 2012s sold fantastically. The 2014s sold like poo poo because it was a step back in terms of computing power. (I think they considered them eating into their iMac line? :iiam: )

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Arsten posted:

Actually, the 2010s and 2012s sold fantastically.

Did they? I thought people snapped up lots of them for server farms, but... I don't know a single individual who wanted one, has one or had one. Anecdotes suck though.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

Did they? I thought people snapped up lots of them for server farms, but... I don't know a single individual who wanted one, has one or had one. Anecdotes suck though.

Well, they sold fantastically. I'm sure a lot of that was server-ing. Like I said, I don't know why they limited them so much in the 2014s - but they did the same with their lower end iMacs. I would think it's a way to get you to step up to more pricey options.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Pivo posted:

We have a ton of them at work for build and/or test machines; unfortunately we only got one of the quad-core i7s before they nerfed that option in an "update". Likewise though, I don't know anyone who owns one personally - NUCs are a far nicer form factor if you really want a small computer, though obviously not running OS X macOS. I'd probably buy a hypothetical coffee-cup style mini though..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Arsten posted:

Actually, the 2010s and 2012s sold fantastically. The 2014s sold like poo poo because it was a step back in terms of computing power. (I think they considered them eating into their iMac line? :iiam: )

I think the 2014 mobo's socket type lacked a usable high-end Intel chip at the time of release.

I'd be down with a mini-mini Macbook-style option, i.e. all on one chip and great power usage, the size of an iPhone, a Macberry Pi. :allears: