Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

Well drat, that's another show I'm adding to my "To watch" list.

In addition to bringing an amazing and unflinching black perspective to primetime network TV, it's also loving hilarious.

Uh oh guys
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/741285049392324608
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/741285447297605632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
What up from NC :jihad:

quote:

RAEFORD, N.C. — Officials said a man who was arrested and charged with communicating threats Thursday after a series of incidents at a Raeford mosque is a major in the U.S. Army Reserve.

Hoke County Sheriff Hubert Peterkin said the man, who was identified as Russell Thomas Langford, of 1733 Sykes Pond Road, Fayetteville, had several firearms, ammunition and other weapons in his Chevrolet Tahoe during the incidents, which began around 4:30 p.m. at the Masjid Al Madina.

Langford was charged with ethnic intimidation, assault with a deadly weapon, going armed to the terror of the public, communicating threats, stalking and disorderly conduct, officials said. He was given a $60,000 bond.

The incidents began when two employees found a bag filled with bacon at the entrance of the mosque, authorities said. Muslims have a religious prohibition against eating pork.

Then, following afternoon prayers, a man leaving the mosque said a man followed him to to his home. Later, when the worshiper returned around 5:30 p.m., he said the person who followed him was at the mosque again.

Authorities told WRAL News that a retired Army captain, who is a Muslim chaplain at Fort Bragg, was approached by a man around 6 p.m. in the parking lot of the mosque. According to the chaplain, the man showed him a gun and said he wanted to blow up the mosque.

The chaplain said he asked the man to come inside and talk, but the man declined and left the area.

Officials said the man returned around 8 p.m. and attempted to run over a group of people in his SUV while worshipers were entering the mosque for their Ramadan evening prayer.

"We call on state law enforcement authorities and the FBI to investigate this incident as a possible hate crime,” said Ibrahim Hooper, of the Washington-D.C. Council on American-Islamic Relations. “We also ask local police to step up patrols in the area of this and other North Carolina mosques, particularly during the nightly activities associated with the ongoing fast of Ramadan."

The president of Masjid Al Madina said Thursday's incident was the first act of violence at mosque and is thankful nobody was hurt.

Authorities said the investigation is ongoing. No additional information has been released.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/authorities-investigating-incident-at-hoke-county-mosque/15767033/#OHVD6FbA7pmz7YMu.99

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

theflyingorc posted:

People absolutely, positively have tried, they just haven't made it anywhere close. It's not an easy thing to get a concealed firearm within 50 yards of Obama, because there's a lot of very talented people doing everything in their power to prevent that.

Who are they and why doesn't the Secret Service hire them?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bollig posted:

While it's not a classically well designed flag, I have always had a soft spot for the Virginia flag:

That is Virtus, a figure of peace, standing over a tyrant, wielding a symbol of authority, not combat. Underneath it is the official state motto, 'Sic Semper Tyrannus' or 'Thus Always to Tyrants'.

Has anyone made a politoon where Hillary is Virtus, and Trump is the tyrant yet?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jesus gently caress, what an absolute piece of poo poo. Allowing VA funding for SRS would almost certainly prevent veteran suicides.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Zika isn't even enough to get both parties to unite behind funding anti-Zika research.

I meant, after it infects 80% of Puerto Rico and heads for the mainland.

Or maybe this is another bird flu flop, who knows.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm surprised no one's tried assassinating obama or hillary, but i'm even more surprised no one's tried assassinating trump yet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

Jesus gently caress, what an absolute piece of poo poo. Allowing VA funding for SRS would almost certainly prevent veteran suicides.

Hang on, are you claiming that the thing the Republican congressman is saying is actually the opposite of reality?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The idea that Muslims react to bacon like vampires to garlic never stops being the dumbest and funniest dumb thing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Abel Wingnut posted:

i'm surprised no one's tried assassinating obama or hillary, but i'm even more surprised no one's tried assassinating trump yet

Left in America isn't full of nuts with guns like our right is.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Left in America isn't full of nuts with guns like our right is.

i think the right's more likely to be responsible actually

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

The idea that Muslims react to bacon like vampires to garlic never stops being the dumbest and funniest dumb thing.

people who believe this are probably on the dungeons and dragons is a satanic manual side of active magical religion

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Abel Wingnut posted:

i think the right's more likely to be responsible actually

He is the hero of the right-racist crazies with guns faction though?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah other than the fact that the point gets put across that someone really hates them to the degree that they'd seek out whatever they believe are the results of just leaving a bag of bacon on a mosque doorstep. It must be the most frustrating combination of "this dumbass" and fear.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Can't wait to see how many Republican lawmakers tiptoe around an outright endorsement of this guy

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I mean they can just can't eat it right? There aren't any rules about picking up a bag of bacon looking at it and going "...okay and?" right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dr Cheeto posted:

Can't wait to see how many Republican lawmakers tiptoe around an outright endorsement of this guy

American Family Association, who have basically attacked Target for their transgender policy, were very, very quiet about the bombing yesterday....

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtxobump1BU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

On Terra Firma posted:

I mean they can just can't eat it right? There aren't any rules about picking up a bag of bacon looking at it and going "...okay and?" right?

Like most religious purity laws, there are plenty of exceptions including 'You're starving to death' or 'it would seriously offend your host not to accept this food'.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Unkempt posted:

CRAZY 'SCIENTISTS' WANT TO UNLEASH FRANKEN-SQUITOS ON YOUR CHILDREN!!!

I fully expect the tiny minority of people holding this wrongpinion to be steamrolled under a mass of people freaking out about maimed babies.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Whenever I hear about things like someone leaving bacon at a mosque, I always wonder about the mundane events that lead up to it. Did the guy have the bacon in his house already, or did he buy it just for the occasion? If he bought it just for that, did he buy it while already shopping for other things, or was he standing in line with just the bacon? And did he get an adrenaline rush and get all excited about what he was gearing up to do while in line with the bacon, or was he just patiently waiting a little bit bored? Was he playing Candy Crush on his phone while standing in line to buy the bacon that he intended to leave in front of a mosque in an attempt to offend Muslims?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Inferior Third Season posted:

Whenever I hear about things like someone leaving bacon at a mosque, I always wonder about the mundane events that lead up to it. Did the guy have the bacon in his house already, or did he buy it just for the occasion? If he bought it just for that, did he buy it while already shopping for other things, or was he standing in line with just the bacon? And did he get an adrenaline rush and get all excited about what he was gearing up to do while in line with the bacon, or was he just patiently waiting a little bit bored? Was he playing Candy Crush on his phone while standing in line to buy the bacon that he intended to leave in front of a mosque in an attempt to offend Muslims?

I wonder if the bacon was cooked or not because if I was baiting an eternal damnation trap with bacon I think it would be more effective if it was giving off the sweet aroma of cooked bacon.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Night10194 posted:

Like most religious purity laws, there are plenty of exceptions including 'You're starving to death' or 'it would seriously offend your host not to accept this food'.

And if I recall correctly, like most religion's dietary laws the repurcussions of breaking them are practically nonexistent. Like, basically, say you're sorry and promise not to do it again. Basically, the only reason to care about the whole bacon thing is that it means someone out there hates you in the dumbest possible way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nobody tell them that Muslims also regard dogs as unclean.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ratoslov posted:

And if I recall correctly, like most religion's dietary laws the repurcussions of breaking them are practically nonexistent. Like, basically, say you're sorry and promise not to do it again. Basically, the only reason to care about the whole bacon thing is that it means someone out there hates you in the dumbest possible way.

They also hold that if you're tricked or forced into violating them it doesn't count.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

On Terra Firma posted:

No, only the strictest interpretations say you can never handle pork ever period. Even in super fundamentalist countries it's considered perfectly acceptable for stores to stock pork and sell it to non-Muslims! And of course there's exceptions for being forced to consume pork, which isn't a sin.

The way I've heard it explained is that these people who leave pork around because MUSLIMS CAN'T TOUCH IT OR THEY GO TO HELL think that Muslims are as fundamentalist as they are and that Allah works by the same rules as they believe God does.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The weird thing is that those people obviously also think Allah is real, yet they will always deny that Allah and their God are the same.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

On Terra Firma posted:

I remember reading once that some guy asked their imam about it and the imam just said "Wash your hands and you're good."

In fact, this site seems to indicate that touching a dog is worse than touching pig stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

James Garfield posted:

The weird thing is that those people obviously also think Allah is real, yet they will always deny that Allah and their God are the same.

It's really funny to me that the three most bellicose religions in the world all believe they are worshiping the same God.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In fact, this site seems to indicate that touching a dog is worse than touching pig stuff.

Maybe ISIS is so bad because they are emulating cats rather than dogs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I remember reading once that some guy asked their imam about it and the imam just said "Wash your hands and you're good."

Yeah I'm pretty sure the mainstream belief is just "wash your hands before the next time you pray" which you'd do anyway because ew, raw bacon. You can ask a thousand imams and you'll get a thousand different answers.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's Daily Mail, but doooo itttt... :getin:

Really wish sidearms weren't banned at the convention. It's gonna be beautiful.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's hilariously petty

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Night10194 posted:

That's what always gets me. As I understand it if you're put between "not eating pork" and "accepting the hospitality of another" Allah wants you to chow the gently caress down. It's like how the story of Sodom and Gomorrah straight-up says "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy," but too many people are convinced it's God screaming gently caress THE HOMOS

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

zoux posted:

Considering what my dogs smell like after rolling in something foul in the yard, they may not be wrong.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Shageletic posted:

A couple of things. One, Trump has always claimed to sleep four or five hours a night. Second, he seemed to suffer a chronic lack of attention as a child, with a father that would only value him for his success, with an obligatory imported strict German nanny raising him before being sent to boarding school. It seems like that pattern has continued.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/05/donald-trump-kids-normal

Trump has always been in the public eye, and suffered a fall in its glare plenty of times before. Wouldn't that inure him to what's going to happen in November.

Of course he claims to only sleep for 4-5 hours a night, actually doing it while in the middle of running for president is a little bit different though.

As far as why this fall of grace will be a little bit different, there are two major reasons. First off, narcissist survive public failures by putting it all behind them and never acknowledging it. That won't be an option with an entire team of over a thousand people who are organized around the task of exposing every thing about Donald Trump that is worthy of criticism to public attention. A narcissist cannot handle even very mild criticism, let alone having each and every one of their skeletons drug up into the public sphere. Remember how TrumpRemem tracings of his hands to the author who called him smile handed in a magazine article over a decade ago? Imagine how Trump is going to handle having a woman destroy him on National on National while there is absolutely nothing he can do about it except helplessly watch. Provoke a narcissist enough by destroying their false image and they will break the kayfabe they maintain and show you the real horror that lies underneath. This is sort of a response that can be triggered in any narcissist at any time if they are pressured enough, and Trump is going to be under a legendary amount of pressure from all angles for the next 5 months. He is going to fly apart in a way he never has before, because this is going to be a public spectacle of his failure in a way that he's never experienced before.

If Trump were thinking at all rationally then he never would have put himself in a position where the illusion he projects about himself could be so easily destroyed. But Trump isn't thinking rationally, Trump is an addict on a binge and he's just following the drug wherever it leads him. There's no guiding principle at work here beyond that, Trump is a pleasure seeking machine working out the problem of how to attain more pleasure, and that is all that Trump is ever going to be capable of doing. He is an amoeba enveloping and devouring a source of food, there is no higher purpose to his actions than that.

He is a lifelong addict who finally found a source of the perfect drug and has had an unbroken High that has lasted about a year, and that is all about to be taken away from him. While in a vacuum Trump The Narcissist could certainly survive this and emerge at a later date and some other ego glorifying form, that isn't going to happen here because of the aforementioned presidential campaign exposing and harassing him in a way that he simply will not be able to cope with.

On top of that no matter what happens at this point some portion of trump supporters are going to be calling for violence, and Trump is going to be able to gain some measure of Supply Xlby inciting violence. When it comes down to it and Trump is forced to acknowledge that he is not going to be President, from Trumps perspective you're going to be taking away a heroin addicts entire stash and telling them that they're about to be locked in a room to sweat out the detox.

Courtroom can avoid that hellish fate, grab himself some Supply by projecting the illusion to his followers that they can attain power through violence. Trump has already threatened the RNC with violent riots repeatedly at the mere Prospect of having the Republican nomination taken away from him, imagine how he's going to react once the whole presidency is taken away from him.

He is going to use whatever tools are available in order to meet his need for Supply, and for the first time in his life he's going to have the threat of violence to hold over others as a tool at his disposal. Or, at the very least he will think he does. In either case with a narcissist as severe As Trump the only reason he has never incited mob violence before in his life is because he's never really had the opportunity to do so and gain something from it, there's no sort of guiding principle or strategic thinking in his life that would prevent him from considering or an acting such a strategy. It's just that he's never had the opportunity before, is all.

A narcissist uses manipulative behavior to obtain Supply in the same way that a mechanic use his tools to assemble a car engine. It's a purely mechanical process that involves a bit of knowing how things are put together and which tools are proper for which specific situations. That is how a narcissist sees everything and everyone else in the world, just a tool to be utilized in the proper fashion to obtain Supply. With a case of severe is Trump, there is absolutely nothing to him beyond that. His entire existence is as a biological me to computer that uses every resource at hand to obtain Supply, he is more like a force of nature than a reasoned or self-aware human being.

So I would say one reason why Trump is going ton incite violence when he fails this time where he hasn't in the past is because it's a new tool in his toy box and he wants to use it, Its a bright and shiny he's never gotten to play with before. If he had had the option before he wouldn't have hesitated to use it, look at how ruthless he is in every single aspect of his life. His children are so tuned into his subconscious posturing that he is able to control them using it, even when it's done in such an obvious fashion that a newspaper journalist observes it and writes about it. I've been that kid that was there to prop up the public image of the narcissist, I know what you have to do to a child to get them to behave like that. It's horrific.

When this is all said and done I'm certain that it's going to probably come out that trumps not a billionaire, he's probably only got 200 million at best, and judging by his behavior I think he's starting to run a little bit low on the money he needs to keep the illusion of being a billionaire off. I'm certain it's also going to come out that he is extremely physically aggressive and abusive behind the scenes and has been his whole life. He has tried to cheat everyone who's ever done business with that he thought was too weak to stop him, and he's treated everything and his entire life like that. He only refuses to try and take from you if he thinks you're strong enough to stop him, otherwise he just takes what he wants and makes your life a living hell if you object.

The end days of his campaign are probably going to resemble that movie scene where Hitler has an angry meltdown once he realizes that Germany is going to lose the war and there's nothing that can be done. The only difference is because of the nature of modern media, instead of Hitler screaming behind closed doors to a room full of his closest advisers we might get Trump streaming live on National Television at Hillary Clinton on the debate stage. It is going to be simply glorious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They should do a Supernatural episode but about Muslims.

"Lore says they hate bacon and dogs"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I wonder if the bacon was cooked or not because if I was baiting an eternal damnation trap with bacon I think it would be more effective if it was giving off the sweet aroma of cooked bacon.

Realizing this guy is obviously a top Mensa applicant, you'd think considering it's a mosque in a town that's literally surrounded by hog farms for miles around that Muslims don't have an issue with being in close proximity to swine.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

James Garfield posted:

I don't know if they believe that [whatever dumbass Christian fundamentalists think Allah is] is real, as much as they want to instill all-consuming fear of damnation into people they don't like. It's the greatest terror that they can imagine, so they try to spread it to people they don't like. That, and like it's been said above, these asspharaohs want to make Muslims feel like they're not welcome and/or unsafe.

Plus, people like the bacon shitlords probably believe that Muslims are already going to Literal Christian Hell for being part of the wrong religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Plus, people like the bacon shitlords probably believe that Muslims are already going to Literal Christian Hell for being part of the wrong religion.

Isn't this the opinion of most Christians though?

There is only one way into heaven and all.

• Locked thread