Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Adequate posted:

I know this is like a month old but I'm catching up on the thread and I wanted to say that I've not come around to liking FFX because I loving loved it from day 1 and I still think it's the best in the series and aside from the non-Blitzball minigames is essentially perfect in every way.

Hell yeah. Even Blitzball was pretty great, it just wasn't explained that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inzombiac posted:

Hell yeah. Even Blitzball was pretty great, it just wasn't explained that well.

Honestly if you'd gotten to play the first game wakka does, where you win through plot convenience and just get a round to gently caress about and learn how to play instead of being thrown into a rigged tournament match then I think a lot of people probably would have come out hating it less.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Nuebot posted:

Honestly if you'd gotten to play the first game wakka does, where you win through plot convenience and just get a round to gently caress about and learn how to play instead of being thrown into a rigged tournament match then I think a lot of people probably would have come out hating it less.

This is exactly the biggest issue with it. You hype up this sport so much that we know we're gonna play it, then once we finally get to play it pit us up against a team that is so much better than our own that it's near impossible to even make a pass, let alone win? That's gonna immediately sour most people's perception of the game.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I was just left thinking Jecht was right for making GBS threads all over Tidus.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sad lions posted:

I was just left thinking Jecht was right for making GBS threads all over Tidus.

You're right the game should've been Jecht's Bizarre Island Booze Adventure with Braska and Auron (also... I guess).

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

FauxGateau posted:

You're right the game should've been Jecht's Bizarre Island Booze Adventure with Braska and Auron (also... I guess).

The thing dragging down X-2 is that it wasn't this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PubicMice posted:

The thing dragging down X-2 is that it wasn't this.

Seriously

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I've noticed in the Witcher 3 is how dynamic the conversations are. Even in recent batman games talking to NPCs often feels static, the camera just switching between the characters stiffly posing, and the elder scrolls games are just camera gluing to the other person's face, but the characters in main scenes (Story and SideQuests) move around and talk, making or avoiding eye contact, Geralt even laughs at jokes that old friends make mid sentence without having to interrupt them. It just feels pretty good to sit through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing the new Mirror's Edge and there's a cutscene early on where a character is trying to show something on a TV and it takes a couple of tries before it recognizes his voice command. Even in the future that poo poo doesn't work.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

BioEnchanted posted:

One thing I've noticed in the Witcher 3 is how dynamic the conversations are. Even in recent batman games talking to NPCs often feels static, the camera just switching between the characters stiffly posing, and the elder scrolls games are just camera gluing to the other person's face, but the characters in main scenes (Story and SideQuests) move around and talk, making or avoiding eye contact, Geralt even laughs at jokes that old friends make mid sentence without having to interrupt them. It just feels pretty good to sit through.

I was going to post something about that earlier, there was one conversation in the first expansion, at the wedding, where the female interest does an extremely realistic 'taken aback' expression that was so good I was in awe for a few seconds. They did such a good job in that game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Velen I've nearly finished clearing out all the questions marks but of course the Bald Mountain area is too dangerous - swarms of foglets at level 26 each, all with the little skull icon. I hope that the inevitable mission there is called Night on Bald Mountain though because that would be great. At least I have the fast travel marker.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

muscles like this? posted:

Playing the new Mirror's Edge and there's a cutscene early on where a character is trying to show something on a TV and it takes a couple of tries before it recognizes his voice command. Even in the future that poo poo doesn't work.

I had no idea that was out. Is it any good?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's getting about 7/10s. A solid "maybe wait for a sale."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The gameplay is solid but so far the story has been kind of lackluster, which is weird because they obviously put a lot of effort into character animation but don't really back it up with anything interesting to say.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

So basically the first game but longer with a less obnoxious art style? I'm in, when it comes out over here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And too frequent, bad combat.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
My first and last complaint about Mirror's Edge 1 was that you couldn't avoid every combat encounter. Shame if they didn't fix that.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Male Man posted:

My first and last complaint about Mirror's Edge 1 was that you couldn't avoid every combat encounter. Shame if they didn't fix that.

Yeah, the only good thing about the combat was jump-kicking some dude while running at maximum speed and not slowing down. Everything else about the combat was wasting time that I could have spent parkouring badly and falling off buildings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, the only good thing about the combat was jump-kicking some dude while running at maximum speed and not slowing down. Everything else about the combat was wasting time that I could have spent parkouring badly and falling off buildings.

The combat is a lot more fluid in the new Mirror's Edge. It actually feels like an extension of the parcour mechanics instead of clunky arbitrary moves. At least it did in the Beta anyway.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Is it true you cant even use guns now?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just Offscreen posted:

Is it true you cant even use guns now?

Yes, you can't even attempt to pick up a gun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm one of the two people who was really disappointed to see them get rid of the ability to use guns

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I didn't mind the gunplay. It would've been nice if all of it was avoidable if you were a good runner, but I like that different guns slowed you down. And I laughed like a maniac when I got the machine gun at the end of the mall escape.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It would've been fine if the gunplay was made more competent. It was always weird that the studio behind Battlefield, a game that was mostly shooting fools, produced a game that made shooting a gun suck so much.

But for actual content. Despite never playing it, I've heard that in the new Mirror's Edge, if you're going top speed then nobody can even hit you with their guns.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just finished a murder mystery quest in Witcher 3 involving two characters: a surgeon and a coroner. They have a history and don't get on - surgeon was once coroner's pupil.
Surgeon looks somewhat older than coroner though. I thought it was just a weird oversight on the game designers' part, but later Geralt mentions it and the coroner explains working with embalming chemicals keeps him young looking, which I thought was pretty lame, but then at the end the coroner did it and is a vampire

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

In Batman arkham knight when you die depending on who's thugs kill you the antagonists say a little thing to you. On a random chance Joker will scream "Bruce" in exactly the same way as https://youtu.be/lO2Zp4nwsFA

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the chatter after the endgame:
Hey Look! Here comes Bruce Wayne in his ~Waynemobile~!
Oh no, look out! Waynearangs!
Yeah, Bruce Wayne's going to show up in his Wayne-suit and beat us to a bloody pulp!... Yeah, let's just... Leave him alone...

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the chatter after the endgame:
Hey Look! Here comes Bruce Wayne in his ~Waynemobile~!
Oh no, look out! Waynearangs!
Yeah, Bruce Wayne's going to show up in his Wayne-suit and beat us to a bloody pulp!... Yeah, let's just... Leave him alone...

"How many billionaires does it take to make a superhero? Three: two to die and one to never get over it!"

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I liked how Metal Gear Solid V made me feel bad for killing in war, with just game mechanics. (As opposed to like someone hollering "Snake! he had a family!" over your radio.) If you see a guy with a blinking status indicator over his head, you could shoot him, or you could sneak up and interrogate him, or you could tranq him and leave him somewhere as a decoy, or you could lead him on a wild goose chase out into the bush and double back and steal his weird Soviet jeep. You could just sneak past while he listens to his bootleg new wave tapes or shoots the poo poo with his friend about army gossip. Or you could recruit him; he could be your chief botanist, your mole in Red Army Intelligence, or just one of the guys in your warehouse loading up your supply balloons. He could snipe an invader from a football field away, or get eaten by a bear while he's out raiding wild opium plants for your tranq rounds, or get into a knife fight with a Congolese teenager over whether your dog is really a wolf.

But as soon as you shoot him, and that little indicator blinks off, none of that will ever happen. Now he's a physics object on the ground, same as a spare tire or an empty jerrycan. Next time you come by this way, he won't even be that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

swamp waste posted:

I liked how Metal Gear Solid V made me feel bad for killing in war, with just game mechanics. (As opposed to like someone hollering "Snake! he had a family!" over your radio.) If you see a guy with a blinking status indicator over his head, you could shoot him, or you could sneak up and interrogate him, or you could tranq him and leave him somewhere as a decoy, or you could lead him on a wild goose chase out into the bush and double back and steal his weird Soviet jeep. You could just sneak past while he listens to his bootleg new wave tapes or shoots the poo poo with his friend about army gossip. Or you could recruit him; he could be your chief botanist, your mole in Red Army Intelligence, or just one of the guys in your warehouse loading up your supply balloons. He could snipe an invader from a football field away, or get eaten by a bear while he's out raiding wild opium plants for your tranq rounds, or get into a knife fight with a Congolese teenager over whether your dog is really a wolf.

But as soon as you shoot him, and that little indicator blinks off, none of that will ever happen. Now he's a physics object on the ground, same as a spare tire or an empty jerrycan. Next time you come by this way, he won't even be that.
:350:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

swamp waste posted:

I like-hate the sound that plays every time you actually kill someone. It's weird, abstract and low-key, but it can only ever be a visceral, bad thing that you should not be hearing.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
MGS V also seems to subtlely push towards non-lethal play with the Fultons. The best way to dispose of an enemy is with the Fultons, especially if you don't know how long you're going to be. Having to dispose of a body is just a pain, and unconscious enemy combatants can wake up and tell all their friends. With the Fulton extraction system, former enemy combatants are flung off into the sky, for you to sort them out later. Just so long as no one sees the balloon, it's almost completely undetectable.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Disposing of the bodies isn't an issue if every single human being in Afghanistan is dead :colbert:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Mister Adequate posted:

Disposing of the bodies isn't an issue if every single human being in Afghanistan is dead :colbert:

I liked the logo creator.

Combine it with the Fulton system and you have the ability to be direct and honest about what happens to everywhere you go:

Bonus: This takes away every single shred of dignity present in cutscenes. "Plant your roots in me," indeed.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Mister Adequate posted:

If you knock em out, carry them away from patrol paths then drop them, kick them awake adn point a gun at them, they stay down FOREVER.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

swamp waste posted:

If you shoot a guy in the leg he falls over screaming, bleeding out. If his buddies see they'll run over and start telling him he'll be fine and yelling at him not to give up. Sometimes they start to panic. Then you can shoot them too until you have a whole camp of guys just rolling on the ground screaming and bleeding.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Holy poo poo I don't know if this is like, a specific feature or if I just accidentally did something awesome, but early on in Witcher 3 I did a job for some fire priest guy who ended up being super shady and tried to bribe me at the end, and when I declined he and his bodyguards attacked me. I killed one of the guards and was focusing on the other with the priest guy offscreen behind me, and when he rushed in to attack me from behind I think I like, just tilted the stick towards him and hit fast attack or something? Whatever non-dramatic button combination it was, Geralt just barely turned into a backhanded stroke and lopped the dude's head off in a fraction of a second before turning back to the remaining guard. I laughed for about 30 seconds straight, it was amazing. This game rules.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

Holy poo poo I don't know if this is like, a specific feature or if I just accidentally did something awesome, but early on in Witcher 3 I did a job for some fire priest guy who ended up being super shady and tried to bribe me at the end, and when I declined he and his bodyguards attacked me. I killed one of the guards and was focusing on the other with the priest guy offscreen behind me, and when he rushed in to attack me from behind I think I like, just tilted the stick towards him and hit fast attack or something? Whatever non-dramatic button combination it was, Geralt just barely turned into a backhanded stroke and lopped the dude's head off in a fraction of a second before turning back to the remaining guard. I laughed for about 30 seconds straight, it was amazing. This game rules.

That priest is coded to die in one hit and lose whatever limb you strike him on, so it was a combination of deliberate programming and happy coincidence.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

I liked the logo creator.

Combine it with the Fulton system and you have the ability to be direct and honest about what happens to everywhere you go:

Bonus: This takes away every single shred of dignity present in cutscenes. "Plant your roots in me," indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MGSV is just the best :allears:. I can only imagine how it would be if it had another 6 months or a year in development.

My favorite little things are the conversations between soldiers you can overhear. Soldiers refer to how safe and state of the art Chernobyl is. They wonder how they would have acted in the shoes of an unnamed officer (Stanislav Petrov) who had to respond to a (false) US nuclear launch alert. Just little, well researched conversations that add lots of color and verisimilitude.