Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Papercut posted:

If you want to win, why are you playing quick play with pubs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkDkgi2ut1I

RC Cola posted:

Who gives a poo poo if they win or not? There isn't even a ranked mode yet

winning is fun and it sucks seeing a hanzo get zero kills

Ularg posted:

Oh sorry I didn't realize picking Mei, D.va, or whoever else you think sucks today is considered "Not wanting to win" excuse me.

it's not just me, don't even pretend. Dva Mei and Hanzo are considered by a huge number of people to be underpowered and not worth playing when alternatives exist.

to: everyone not liking the reality of some heroes are bad in a game with 21 of them: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

you can cancel her wall early by hitting the same button

It's actually disgusting how many people don't know this. I've had walls stay up in horrible spots for the full duration, even after they say "oops" and I tell them "press it again damnit"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Mei is pretty good if she's played by someone who understands her area of denial capabilities. We all start as terrible Meis, but with practice we become Queens of the North.

D.Va is also a fun class that I don't blame anyone for playing. She's a blast. Even as I've switched away from her in favor of Winston in my own play.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Press E again, the wall will come down. The amount of times I've had to explain this to helpful Mei's who just want to make sure the enemy team is not actually in my sights I could have probably written the Great Breakout Novel instead.

Oh, I thought he was saying there was some way her teammates could bring their own Mei's walls down prematurely. That would've changed my life.

Mortimer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkDkgi2ut1I

to: everyone not liking the reality of some heroes are bad in a game with 21 of them: lol

You do realize that the main point of playing a game is to have fun, right? And that different people have fun in different ways? I kind of feel bad for the person who plays this game for 5-10 minutes and then says "Well that was a waste of time" whenever they see the word "DEFEAT" on their screen. Especially because, if the matchmaker is doing its job, you're going to see that word about 50% of the time.

For the record, I've got no problem with anybody playing any character, as long as they mind the team's composition, they're not useless idiots about it, and they play other characters sometimes besides Genji and Hanzo.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 10, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Reflect is your "oh poo poo" button, like recall or whatever Reaper's invincibility is.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Mortimer posted:

to: the idea that you care about winning in the video game so desparately that you actively negatively impact your own enjoyment: lol

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Mei's can actually be good and helpful to their team assuming they actually bother to practice aiming their ice walls and getting good at placing them at ideal locations (hint: Live games with other players is probably not the place to do this, as you're going to ruin everyone else's fun)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bIM-EFC5k

Like in this video he literally traps Pharah in the corner in a room and there's no way she can escape.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Solo queued for a bit last night and met a pretty cool group of people who just got scrambled around on each of 2-3 consecutive maps. Got a couple friend requests.

I feel like people who think solo queue in this game is the Worst Thing Ever are probably bad players who blame teammates for their MMR.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ddraig posted:

But w/e. I'm sure every single time D.Va gives Zarya 100% charge and she massacres their team's healers, I'm sure all the other people on their team are thankful they have those two holding down the fort.

You might be noticing this more because it happens with a character you think is bad, but why do you think someone that keeps shooting Zarya with her shield up would do anything different when playing an in-meta character?

D.Va's on Defense annoy me because that isn't what her toolset is for but I think she's a blast to play on O assuming you're flanking and loving up snipers and being a more mobile Tracer. If you're trying to be Rein that's a different story but basically I'm saying a bad player will be a bad player regardless of class, and I'm sorry you haven't seen a good D.Va but it's not impossible.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

D.Va is great. She just requires a ton of experience playing, skill and situational awareness. Even out of the mech, her "plinking" is actually really good, and I've had at least two PotGs just blapping people while on foot.

I think the main problem is people compare her to the wrong characters. She's nothing like any other tank in the game, and ATM I'd say she's not even really a "tank". She's more a disruption/distraction character. If you expect to play a rein or winston strat on her, you're just going to be sad.

If she gets any of the potential buffs people are speculating, she'll be awesome. My hopes are for either the headbox change or a straight up damage buff.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Every single D.Va and Mei I've encountered in Quick Play has been utter trash that has been a complete detriment to their team. I really can't but think that if they really did want to try to win they wouldn't have picked the two heroes most likely to help the enemy team more than their own.

But w/e. I'm sure every single time D.Va gives Zarya 100% charge and she massacres their team's healers, or Mei blocks the exit so their team can't escape from an ult, I'm sure all the other people on their team are thankful they have those two holding down the fort.

Maybe you're in trash tier MMR and only playing with garbage players because while not ~pro tier~ Mei and D.Va can totally be very effective if you can play them right.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DirtyTalk posted:

Genji players - did you have a knack for him from the start that got better with time? Or did you have to repetitively die and lose and button mash until you realized what each button actually does and then finally calculate your attacks better.

I want to learn him but I feel useless as hell and I'm wondering if it's even worth the losses playing him.

i sucked as him at first, but i also didn't know he could wall jump or parkour up ledges. his absolutely insane mobility advantage is what makes him good, you should never find yourself in a situation where who you are killing knows where you are going to be. he can effectively ignore the pathing on the map that most characters have to follow and most people don't realize genji can ignore it. his shurikens are also pinpoint accurate (with travel time) so you can just parkour around and fling shurikens at the tank or healer or widowmaker or whoever needs pressure on the enemy team. they will also most likely shoot at you, instead of your team, which is good because they probably won't hit anything.

also if you q wait a few seconds. people are loving bad and they will look for you, not see you, ignore you, and that is when you jump off of a roof and get play of the game :unsmigghh:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

You must be absolutely insufferable to play with if you're bitching about even goons.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

:frogsiren: Red Hot Overwatch Pro Tip: try not playing as a goony man child gamer stereotype.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

You might be noticing this more because it happens with a character you think is bad, but why do you think someone that keeps shooting Zarya with her shield up would do anything different when playing an in-meta character?

D.Va's on Defense annoy me because that isn't what her toolset is for but I think she's a blast to play on O assuming you're flanking and loving up snipers and being a more mobile Tracer. If you're trying to be Rein that's a different story but basically I'm saying a bad player will be a bad player regardless of class, and I'm sorry you haven't seen a good D.Va but it's not impossible.

Dva has a lot of close range sustained damage, most bad/average players will hold that left click far too long. Characters like mccree/genji/pharrah where your left click is more deliberate don't have that problem.

Dva can be great against average players but on a lot of maps there's just too many things to hide behind or get flanked from, she's kinda bad to middling.

Indecisive posted:

to: the idea that you care about winning in the video game so desparately that you actively negatively impact your own enjoyment: lol

thanks buddha I guess I"ll learn to love the game and have fun even when getting stomped namaste

Ularg posted:

You must be absolutely insufferable to play with if you're bitching about even goons.

buddy, why do you think I play with pubs instead of goons?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

nigga crab pollock posted:

i sucked as him at first, but i also didn't know he could wall jump or parkour up ledges. his absolutely insane mobility advantage is what makes him good, you should never find yourself in a situation where who you are killing knows where you are going to be. he can effectively ignore the pathing on the map that most characters have to follow and most people don't realize genji can ignore it. his shurikens are also pinpoint accurate (with travel time) so you can just parkour around and fling shurikens at the tank or healer or widowmaker or whoever needs pressure on the enemy team. they will also most likely shoot at you, instead of your team, which is good because they probably won't hit anything.

also if you q wait a few seconds. people are loving bad and they will look for you, not see you, ignore you, and that is when you jump off of a roof and get play of the game :unsmigghh:

If you wanna get good with Genji definitely watch Seagull's stream, that dude has excellent movement control and you could probably learn some new and effective routes through maps.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

DirtyTalk posted:

Genji players - did you have a knack for him from the start that got better with time? Or did you have to repetitively die and lose and button mash until you realized what each button actually does and then finally calculate your attacks better.

I want to learn him but I feel useless as hell and I'm wondering if it's even worth the losses playing him.

Lady Naga posted:

The best way to play Genji is to take him to training mode and practice his combo over and over until it's pure muscle memory and you can execute it as fast as possible. Alternatively; eat a bullet. Both are equally as fun.

This is really bad advice and will stop you from being a Good Genji™ - the combo is great but it's got situational applications and isn't even necessary to be useful

Genji excels at destroying emplacements and countering a wide variety of heroes but he requires pretty good map knowledge and a team that can exploit the advantages he creates, and if you understand his role you can jump in and start playing while the mechanics come to you; you should be flanking often and taking maximum advantage of his ability to get vertical instead of just running down the same offshoot hallways over and over again; you can reflect an ungodly amount of stuff, so learn what you can and cannot send back to the enemy team; primary fire is for distance fighting and secondary fire is for infighting; his combo is secondary fire -> quick melee -> dash, which all animation cancel into each other for a very abrupt spike in damage; double jump is really good

go forth and Genji

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

guts and bolts posted:

This is really bad advice and will stop you from being a Good Genji™

Genji excels at destroying emplacements and countering a wide variety of heroes but he requires pretty good map knowledge and a team that can exploit the advantages he creates, and if you understand his role you can jump in and start playing while the mechanics come to you; you should be flanking often and taking maximum advantage of his ability to get vertical instead of just running down the same offshoot hallways over and over again; you can reflect an ungodly amount of stuff, so learn what you can and cannot send back to the enemy team; primary fire is for distance fighting and secondary fire is for infighting; his combo is secondary fire -> quick melee -> dash, which all animation cancel into each other for a very abrupt spike in damage; double jump is really good

go forth and Genji

I'm not really sure why one piece of advice excludes the other?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think they should give D'Va's charge a ministun or have it to a bit of damage. I love using it to knock Widows off perches or separate Torj's from their turrets but given her hitbox it often means they just unload in my face while flying through the air.

And it's true with every character but knowing where health packs are on D.Va is utterly crucial. Annoy the enemy from the side and force them to look at something else besides the main push, then as soon as your active defense runs out turn tail and swoop through a health pack then do the same thing from another angle 10 seconds later.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Genji is hard. He's one of the hardmode heroes

Once you "get" him and it "clicks" though, he can do wondrous things. I'd say the primary thing to start getting good at with him though is the aim with his throwing stars... Up close, and from afar you should be able to reliably hit people. Once your aim is down you can start comboing attacks and burst down people really fast

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
all the heroes are pretty fun and good

its kind of weird seeing people say "all people who play X" are bad or that you shuldn't play a hero

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

nigga crab pollock posted:

they will also most likely shoot at you, instead of your team, which is good because they probably won't hit anything.

I detest Genjis on KotH maps because good ones are un-loving-killable and keep us in overtime forever.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

I'm not really sure why one piece of advice excludes the other?

"practice the combo until it is muscle memory" is not useful, because the combo is itself only situationally useful? also it's not really hard to remember or execute, it's just important to know that it's possible; also also it doesn't really explain what makes Genji good or how you should approach playing him

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Like for sure definitely take Genji into actual maps so you get map awareness but honestly if you can't pull off his combo even semi-reliably you just kinda feel like you're ineffectually flailing around trying to hit people with your weak-rear end shurikens and whiffing your dash.

guts and bolts posted:

"practice the combo until it is muscle memory" is not useful, because the combo is itself only situationally useful? also it's not really hard to remember or execute, it's just important to know that it's possible; also also it doesn't really explain what makes Genji good or how you should approach playing him

The combo is the main way you gank fools, it's like flashbang-fan except with an extra button press or two if you can't headshot.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Zzulu posted:

Genji is hard. He's one of the hardmode heroes

Once you "get" him and it "clicks" though, he can do wondrous things. I'd say the primary thing to start getting good at with him though is the aim with his throwing stars... Up close, and from afar you should be able to reliably hit people. Once your aim is down you can start comboing attacks and burst down people really fast

Aiming with Genji is actually relatively easy because of how accurate his throwing stars are, it's the whole "they are projectiles with not-insignificant travel time" that is annoying, which might feel like a pedantic difference I'll grant you that - Genji's aiming requires a degree of prediction where hitscan weapons obviously don't, but Genji doesn't really create pressure at very long ranges against non-emplacements anyway

Up close both LMB and RMB will annihilate some fools, especially with liberal applications of his dash and his reflect

Zombie Samurai posted:

I detest Genjis on KotH maps because good ones are un-loving-killable and keep us in overtime forever.

Genji and Tracer are the uncontested kings/queens of "gently caress you, I'm stalling" and it's pretty glorious, although I think Tracer is better at it than Genji is

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
It's best not to engage

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Eonwe posted:

its kind of weird seeing people say "all people who play X" are bad or that you shuldn't play a hero

Its because these people ate paint chips as a child

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Reflect is your "oh poo poo" button, like recall or whatever Reaper's invincibility is.

Recall has a good offensive application, too. I catch a lot of people off guard by covering two flanks simultaneously. Of course, their first goal should be as an "oh poo poo" button because they significantly extend your lifespan and, thus, your ability to harass the enemy team.

As far as using Genji's combo, it's better to harass an enemy with LMB then go in for the kill, rather than walk up to them and do your combo and leave them alive. This way, you refresh your dash sooner and can turn around and do your combo on someone else immediately. Probably the hardest part of Genji is learning how to track his shuriken, because a Genji good at harassing with LMB can weaken the enemy team real fast, and then if anyone chases you down a flank you just turn around and burst them down while your team, presumably, knocks on the front door.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ularg posted:

lazorexplosion posted:

:frogsiren: Red Hot Overwatch Pro Tip: try not playing as a goony man child gamer stereotype.

Look at all these Hanzo mains :eyeroll:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Xaerael posted:

I think the main problem is people compare her to the wrong characters. She's nothing like any other tank in the game, and ATM I'd say she's not even really a "tank". She's more a disruption/distraction character. If you expect to play a rein or winston strat on her, you're just going to be sad.

Winston IS the disruption/distraction character, who does the same things as D.Va only his toolset is more efficient.

There's a reason why there's so much focus on buffing D.Va is because the other character that shares the same role as her just does it better.

For comp play, another character gets poo poo on just as badly: Mei. Mcree is Mei on steroids right now because they share the same role but he just does it better.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't tell other people, especially goons, what to play unless they're outright trolling/admitting to not trying to win.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
D.va is a Winston with better single-target DPS. Sure she may need a buff but it's still the way the roles seem to be designed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

Don't tell other people, especially goons, what to play unless they're outright trolling/admitting to not trying to win.

yea

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

a cat on an apple posted:

Recall has a good offensive application, too. I catch a lot of people off guard by covering two flanks simultaneously. Of course, their first goal should be as an "oh poo poo" button because they significantly extend your lifespan and, thus, your ability to harass the enemy team.

As far as using Genji's combo, it's better to harass an enemy with LMB then go in for the kill, rather than walk up to them and do your combo and leave them alive. This way, you refresh your dash sooner and can turn around and do your combo on someone else immediately. Probably the hardest part of Genji is learning how to track his shuriken, because a Genji good at harassing with LMB can weaken the enemy team real fast, and then if anyone chases you down a flank you just turn around and burst them down while your team, presumably, knocks on the front door.

If you watch Seagull the main way he gets kills is by harassing with the LMB until he can get in close enough to RMB-dash-melee-RMB, dropping the combo whenever they die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPnrIU25bXA

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

a cat on an apple posted:

Recall and Reflect are both extremely good offense-creating tools for different reasons, but Recall is probably better because your opponent can't just elect to stop shooting you to shut off its usefulness

Genji is both harder to play than Tracer is and requires a team that can capitalize on the windows that he alone can create, which makes him a character who is brutal in solo queue unless you're really good relative to your opponents

I love Genji, and he's probably my favorite character in the game, but if you are going to pick him up, do yourself a favor and play in a pre-made, or just accept that you will lose a lot early on until you get pretty good

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

:chloe:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Mortimer posted:

thanks buddha I guess I"ll learn to love the game and have fun even when getting stomped namaste

you should try it, you'll have alot more fun when you aren't allowing your blood pressure to skyrocket because the text at the end of the game was red instead of white

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I certainly hope nobody thought I was implying that you shouldn't be still hitting people with your LMB when outside of combo range, that'd be silly.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

guts and bolts posted:

This is really bad advice and will stop you from being a Good Genji™ - the combo is great but it's got situational applications and isn't even necessary to be useful

go forth and Genji

i did not know this combo in fact i did not even know overwatch even had a melee button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Indecisive posted:

you should try it, you'll have alot more fun when you aren't allowing your blood pressure to skyrocket because the text at the end of the game was red instead of white

as long as the cause was we got outplayed instead of "our team comp was hosed by useless heroes" then im pretty all right tbh

Verranicus posted:

uhh?
"I'm intentionally feeding"
"please don't play mei or hanzo!"

what did that solve

"I'm going to play hanzo"
"hanzo isnt good, we need a widowmaker tank healer reaper mccree tracer genji 76 try one of those"
"okay"

oh look we won