Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Turkey is insanely fun. By 39 a group of three of us took Yugoslavia, Hungary, Romania, Iraq, Iran. We were about to invade Pakistan when the Soviets invaded :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Nobody ever answered my question about how Expeditionary Forces work so I'm still stuck in perpetual fear that the Netherlands (capitulated and fully occupied on the mainland but still in the war from their colonies) will suddenly withdraw its armies and leave a vital part of my lines under-manned. My game has turned into WWI (right down to where the line stabilized-- the Germans advanced past the Belgian border and occupied Lille before I was able to reorganize and make a new defensive line) with the Dutch occupying the role of the 1914 BEF, and if they all suddenly vanish or sail away to Indonesia or whatever it'd be extremely bad.

edit: I know that artillery or AT guns or whatever in tank divisions should always be support so they don't slow the division down, but it's fine to have artillery at AT as main units in infantry divisions, right? I mean I'm assuming it's fine, since it's seemed to work so far (e.g., I survived the initial German onslaught where they heavily outnumbered me before their troops were drawn away to fight in the east, I'm holding down my Alpine forts even though Italy isn't really doing anything else and can just throw away all its troops at me), but I want to make sure I'm playing efficiently.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 10, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Empress Theonora posted:

Nobody ever answered my question about how Expeditionary Forces work so I'm still stuck in perpetual fear that the Netherlands (capitulated and fully occupied on the mainland but still in the war from their colonies) will suddenly withdraw its armies and leave a vital part of my lines under-manned. My game has turned into WWI (right down to where the line stabilized-- the Germans advanced past the Belgian border and occupied Lille before I was able to reorganize and make a new defensive line) with the Dutch occupying the role of the 1914 BEF, and if they all suddenly vanish or sail away to Indonesia or whatever it'd be extremely bad.

Expeditionary Forces will be send back home once you complete a war (even if you have multiple wars with both countries taking part). Given that you are probably only in a war against the Axis, your fears are not necessary.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

MrYenko posted:

Looks like Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood, with an eye patch.

It's pretty true to life.

I like the painted portraits, even though the increased cost of production means south americans all look alike.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
That's good to know. Even though if the Dutch capitulation had made me lose the expeditionary force it might have been just desserts because pulling my Dutch forces back to my new lines was basically responsible for the complete collapse of the Netherlands. (But it would have fallen eventually, and then the DEF would have been lost entirely and the Germans would be able to just waltz directly into Paris from there.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
When countries capitulate it seems their forces still stick around, given France will still have little French-holes once they're taken over etc. Don't worry about it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Empress Theonora posted:

edit: I know that artillery or AT guns or whatever in tank divisions should always be support so they don't slow the division down, but it's fine to have artillery at AT as main units in infantry divisions, right? I mean I'm assuming it's fine, since it's seemed to work so far (e.g., I survived the initial German onslaught where they heavily outnumbered me before their troops were drawn away to fight in the east, I'm holding down my Alpine forts even though Italy isn't really doing anything else and can just throw away all its troops at me), but I want to make sure I'm playing efficiently.

Infantry gets towed, tanks and motorized get self propelled. Everyone gets support because I like numbers going up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Empress Theonora posted:

Yeah you definitely want artillery/anti-tank in your main divisions with infantry. The amount a main division artillery adds to your attack power is significantly more than support company artillery.

For tank divisions you can use motorized rocket artillery in your main divisions as well to give them artillery support without slowing them down.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Some forces stick around after capitulation, I think anything in France, using for example, largely tends to disappear, but anything not in the contiguous mainland keeps fighting.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah you definitely want artillery/anti-tank in your main divisions with infantry. The amount a main division artillery adds to your attack power is significantly more than support company artillery.

For tank divisions you can use motorized rocket artillery in your main divisions as well to give them artillery support without slowing them down.

So far I like anti-air over anti-tank in Infantry. About the only time I think I'd see more value out of AT is if I was playing against a human Soviet Union or US.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I rolled Japan for my first few games, got super frustrated trying to invade China and almost quit. Then I decided to give it one more shot as Germany.

Goddrat is it Easy Mode compared to Japan. The Royal Navy is hanging out in the Channel trying to keep me from rolling into London, but they're just sitting ducks for my bombers. I keep killing a destroyer here, a cruiser there. There's almost no resistance from the air, I think I killed all of England's fighters during the battle for France (which was highly contested) and they can't build enough to replace them because I'm strangling their convoys. The Suez Canal fell to a blitz and Gibraltar got scooped up by Nationalist Spain, so England is totally cut off from her Pacific colonies. All of their convoys seem to be routed through the Bay of Biscay where my submarines are hanging out. 4 submarines managed to kill 74 convoy ships in one battle.

Operation Sea Lion 2: Electric Boogaloo was all set to go when the US of A decided to stick its oar in. So now there's a huge US fleet gunking up the Channel and opening up a second front in Norway. I'm going to stick it to them by building a gently caress-huge surface fleet and invading New York.

poo poo is insanely fun and sucked me in like few games have lately.

Two questions:

1) Is it possible to get a summary of naval action? I can't keep track of the Royal Navy's status at all because I'm getting spammed with "Naval Actions" that usually result in me losing a plane or two, or them losing a single ship. I can't even find a ballpark estimate for how many ships they have left.

2) When launching a naval invasion, is it possible for the transports to get intercepted and destroyed? The Free French have launched a few abortive attempts to land in Normandy, and despite my planes having total control over the Channel I haven't seen any of them get bombed.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

My Italy game was going so well until the end of 1941. France conquered, Africa taken, Middle-East taken through to Iran, Turkey grabbed (even though the Reich took enough of it to make the borders a mess. Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania, Bulgaria, and Spain all part of the Axis.

Then of course Japan messed it all up. Brought the US into it by declaration basically exactly at Pearl Harbor date, and then the Soviets decided to get into it by declaring against Japan. I'm trying to keep things under control in Western Europe against never-ending naval invasions from the UK/US while Germany is doing the brunt of the work in Russia. No idea who is going to win there. The invasions in France are actually pretty good for me, since the AI is basically sending me gifts of 10-15 divisions at a time to slaughter completely, hurting them far more than me. So I felt in control...until I glanced over at my Iran/British Raj border and saw something like 150 US divisions there. Right now I can't spare much more than 50 to defend there. Hoping that the mountains + entrenchment will make the difference. I do think my divisions are better though. My main infantry are, I believe, 8 infantry, 2 artillery, 2 AT, 1 AA, plus all the support battalions (engineer, recon, AT, AA, artillery). Not that all the divisions are full, I'm still way in the hole in terms of production of AT and artillery guns.

Also, holy poo poo the Brits go insane on their airforce. I've been building 2 lines of fighter continuously, and I can't keep my force in the field in France at all. Right now the Brits have something like 5000 planes in total, so basically there's gonna be no way to get the skies back for a long, long time.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If you capture an airfield that has planes based in it, what happens to the planes? Do they get destroyed or do they automatically rebase to the closest airfield? Or return to reserves?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

For those who have played Japan: Can you pull of a proper Pearl Harbor sneak-attack? I was looking through the Focus tree and didn't see it, but it would be good flavor to give Japan a no-warnings CB they could use to get the drop on the Allies.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think it's because modern tanks are essentially a new weight category. You'd see the same production efficiency loss from light to medium.

And SPART variants are a different type of unit so I'm pretty sure they're supposed to lose out on the production efficiency. Could be wrong though.

Switching from one type of tank to another, is supposed to keep 20% of the effency if it's not the same type, and variants are suppose to keep 50%. There's defenetly something bugged with modern tanks.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

JerikTelorian posted:

For those who have played Japan: Can you pull of a proper Pearl Harbor sneak-attack? I was looking through the Focus tree and didn't see it, but it would be good flavor to give Japan a no-warnings CB they could use to get the drop on the Allies.

Oh this is a really good idea.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gort posted:

You can also get by with literally nothing but infantry as China. I didn't build or research support brigades, or any kind of artillery, AA, AT, tanks, or motorised units - when you're that low on resources and research slots just keeping your infantry and industrial tech up-to-date is hard enough.

What was your general strategy, and in particular:

1) Did you go with those crappy 4xinfantry divisions, or design something more normal (10xinfantry, 20 combat width)?

2) Did you keep manual control of the defense, or how were your fronts laid out?

3) Did you just start building military factories with your civilian ones, or do something differe?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

JerikTelorian posted:

You can get a CB on the US with the "Strike the USA" focus. As for pulling off a Pearl harbor try moving your carrier's one sea zone off from Hawaii, then go into the air mode and assign you carrier planes to the Hawaii air zone. Make sure your navel bombers are set to port strike, then declare war. No idea if it would work or not, but that's the closest you can get within the game mechanics

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone point me to a guide or explain the logic of designing divisions? I've been toying around with it but I have no idea what effects making division wider or deeper has. What are some of the basics of division design?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Xerophyte posted:

It's pretty true to life.

I like the painted portraits, even though the increased cost of production means south americans all look alike.

8 new portraits in the new patch.

I also think they should add a mechanic to punish suicidal AI, like a certain number of losses causes a unity hit. The 1914 campaign for DH had a similar mechanic where you'd gain dissent for each million men lost or failure to take or hold land. This would also help in the end game where each major has a billion divisions and infinite manpower.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Is there a way to select all units of the same type ?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Vorpal Cat posted:

You can get a CB on the US with the "Strike the USA" focus. As for pulling off a Pearl harbor try moving your carrier's one sea zone off from Hawaii, then go into the air mode and assign you carrier planes to the Hawaii air zone. Make sure your navel bombers are set to port strike, then declare war. No idea if it would work or not, but that's the closest you can get within the game mechanics

I haven't played US or Japan to that point in the timeline, but I think the US National Focus "Pearl Harbor Gambit" might give Japan the opportunity to take a free shot at them. It forcibly loads a bunch of your ships into Pearl Harbor and gives Japan an event.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Popete posted:

Can anyone point me to a guide or explain the logic of designing divisions? I've been toying around with it but I have no idea what effects making division wider or deeper has. What are some of the basics of division design?

Some things to consider:

Organisation is higher when you have more infantry and lower when you have more tanks and artillery

Piercing and armour are averages but they are more heavily weighted towards the best battalion's values, so a single AT gun or tank battalion can add a lot of power (unpierced armour halves incoming damage)

Combat width penalty is 2 x the percent of the battlefield width you've exceeded, for example 104 width fighting on a 100 wide battlefield will give a 2 x 4 = 8% penalty to all of your divisions. Therefore you should try to keep divisions at 10, 20 or 40 width (battlefields are 80 wide + 40 for every additional direction you're attacking from)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I decided to try for Trotskyist USSR. I haven't purged and it's already 1939 but no event. :argh:

Meanwhile, Germany went nuts. It declared war on me, even though our only border is my puppet Romania vs. Germany's puppet Hungary. So while 300 divisions slug it out against each other in a very narrow area, Germany decides to declare war on Poland (I can sort of see it, to get access to my flank), and then the rest of the Allies join in on the fun. Now Germany's assailed on all fronts and the Allied armies are helping them keep the Polish borders. The trenches in Hungary are eating men like candy and I can't produce enough fighters to keep up with the Luftwaffe, but I can't see how Germany can ever recover from this.

This might be a game where WW2 is over by 1941 and it's time to think about WW3!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
There was an excellent scenario for TOAW III where Trotsky invades Europe which makes Hitler work with the French

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

Some things to consider:

Organisation is higher when you have more infantry and lower when you have more tanks and artillery

Piercing and armour are averages but they are more heavily weighted towards the best battalion's values, so a single AT gun or tank battalion can add a lot of power (unpierced armour halves incoming damage)

Combat width penalty is 2 x the percent of the battlefield width you've exceeded, for example 104 width fighting on a 100 wide battlefield will give a 2 x 4 = 8% penalty to all of your divisions. Therefore you should try to keep divisions at 10, 20 or 40 width (battlefields are 80 wide + 40 for every additional direction you're attacking from)

Thanks!

Can you expand on the battlefields and widths? I'm not entirely sure I understand that. So a battlefield is defined as a border 2 divisions are fighting over (attacker/defender)? If I'm invading one province (is that the term for the smallest land area on the map?) the battlefield is 80 wide. But if I have 2 units in separate provinces invading a single province then it's 120 wide?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Michaellaneous posted:

I checked the files. AI will never use superheavy tanks nor any of the tank variants. And maybe some other things.

Is this fixable?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Popete posted:

Thanks!

Can you expand on the battlefields and widths? I'm not entirely sure I understand that. So a battlefield is defined as a border 2 divisions are fighting over (attacker/defender)? If I'm invading one province (is that the term for the smallest land area on the map?) the battlefield is 80 wide. But if I have 2 units in separate provinces invading a single province then it's 120 wide?

Yes. Though the battlefield is the defender's province, which means that if they're in the mountains, you're going to have a bad old time with tanks.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Koesj posted:

Yes. Though the battlefield is the defender's province, which means that if they're in the mountains, you're going to have a bad old time with tanks.

Does flanking make a difference, a bonus for the attacker? I know encircling the enemy causes attrition and loss of supplies.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Muahahahaha Prague is mine. A greater Prague, A GERMAN PRAGUE.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

WMain00 posted:

Muahahahaha Prague is mine. A greater Prague, A GERMAN PRAGUE.
Do that, but as Austria.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Playing as Vichy France, and garrisoning ~50 divisions along the coast of France and Benelux, while building up a ton of naval fortresses... it's a beautiful thing. It's so fun to watch the Brits try to land and then just getting slapped back into the sea, over and over again. I'm basically just keeping the west safe while Germany works its way through the USSR.

edit -- a French Atlantikwall, le rempart sur l'Atlantique!!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Popete posted:

Does flanking make a difference, a bonus for the attacker? I know encircling the enemy causes attrition and loss of supplies.

If you flank them, it opens up extra width so you can attack them with more units.

If you fully encircle then then as well as attrition and loss of supplies and the benefits of it being a flank they also get a specific encirclement penalty to attack and defence which is pretty meaty. If you click on the battle icons you can hover your mouse over the icons for the forces as a whole and specific units.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Do that, but as Austria.

Anschluss is coming for them.

Honestly I'm rather enjoying playing Germany and I'd recommend it as an alternative starting campaign for newcomers (which I am).

You have a huge amount of resources, you should know the general history and it's open enough that you can make your own decisions in regard to how things unfold.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah, germany is the 'star' of HOI4

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Popete posted:

Outside the aforementioned encirclement bonus, and the fact that you might be fighting with (way) more divisions, there's also an 'attacking from multiple directions' icon IIRC. Not sure what it does though.

But it's mostly those extra divisions. You now have more breakthrough plus soft and hard attack because maybe 6-8 of your divisions are firing at something like 4 on their side. Now the enemy can only hit back at the same number of divisions they have themselves, and they're going to run out of organization quicker. The neat thing is that if they've got some forces in reserve, and have to switch over a no-org retreating division for a fresh one, you're only going to see more lopsided results for a while, since the reinforce rate is often a single digit percentage hourly chance of reserves joining the battle.

I'm baffled at how little the battle system changed from what happened in HoI3 since the game feelsway more fresh. I guess it was basically sound?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Antti posted:

I decided to try for Trotskyist USSR. I haven't purged and it's already 1939 but no event. :argh:

Meanwhile, Germany went nuts. It declared war on me, even though our only border is my puppet Romania vs. Germany's puppet Hungary. So while 300 divisions slug it out against each other in a very narrow area, Germany decides to declare war on Poland (I can sort of see it, to get access to my flank), and then the rest of the Allies join in on the fun. Now Germany's assailed on all fronts and the Allied armies are helping them keep the Polish borders. The trenches in Hungary are eating men like candy and I can't produce enough fighters to keep up with the Luftwaffe, but I can't see how Germany can ever recover from this.

This might be a game where WW2 is over by 1941 and it's time to think about WW3!

You have to actually do the Great Purge national focus, but you have to wait until after the 4th International is founded before you start the focus. The 4th International event is bugged - it happens, but generates no notification, so it only happens in the background. It happens in September 1938, I believe. If you start the Great Purge focus after that, and then choose to purge nobody in the resulting event chain, you can go Trotskyist at the end of the chain.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Say you build more ships and they're sitting in a port, is there some way you can add them to one of your existing fleets without first docking up the fleet you want to attach them to?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Koesj posted:

Outside the aforementioned encirclement bonus, and the fact that you might be fighting with (way) more divisions, there's also an 'attacking from multiple directions' icon IIRC. Not sure what it does though.

But it's mostly those extra divisions. You now have more breakthrough plus soft and hard attack because maybe 6-8 of your divisions are firing at something like 4 on their side. Now the enemy can only hit back at the same number of divisions they have themselves, and they're going to run out of organization quicker. The neat thing is that if they've got some forces in reserve, and have to switch over a no-org retreating division for a fresh one, you're only going to see more lopsided results for a while, since the reinforce rate is often a single digit percentage hourly chance of reserves joining the battle.

I'm baffled at how little the battle system changed from what happened in HoI3 since the game feelsway more fresh. I guess it was basically sound?

What's really changed is how Division design and Land Doctrine works - because everyone can't just pick the optimal setup straight away and because access to certain tactics is restricted by the research tree, the 'top level' decisions the player is making filter down into combat results in a much more tangible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I tried to set an offensive line to liberate Warsaw from the South but apparently I set it the wrong way. I sat there looking at my troops in southern Poland for a while wondering why they weren't trying to push through the German lines and then panned over to the west a bit and saw that the rest of my army had steamrolled the Germans and taken Berlin. I think I accidentally set it to invade all German territory except Warsaw instead of just Warsaw by drawing the line on backwards or something. So that wasn't what I wanted to happen at all, but I guess on the bright side I've won the war in Europe now.