Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Poetic Justice posted:

Even using both cams in front, it's looking pretty good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLrcZHZ14Yo

what are those red splotches (honeycombs?) on the screen occasionally? and where are the cameras, on the shelf under the tv?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing those are his version of chaperone. One camera is on the left next to a speaker and the other is on the right in the corner.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

what are those red splotches (honeycombs?) on the screen occasionally? and where are the cameras, on the shelf under the tv?

Looks like one's near the corner on the right, and one's to the left of that pole on the left side.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Could someone with a rift and a lot of space behind them tell me how far you can get the from the cameras before tracking turns to poo poo? I'm guessing it's at least as far as the cord reaches, right?

Edit: also with touch controllers and two cameras, does it still force you to calibrate the "centre" within a meter of a camera?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing those are his version of chaperone. One camera is on the left next to a speaker and the other is on the right in the corner.

that's what i figured, but it seemed like where it showed up first he eventually moved passed it. My other guess was something to do with being obscured from the cameras (though that doesn't make much sense if the rest of the area was fine)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

monkey posted:

Could someone with a rift and a lot of space behind them tell me how far you can get the from the cameras before tracking turns to poo poo? I'm guessing it's at least as far as the cord reaches, right?

Edit: also with touch controllers and two cameras, does it still force you to calibrate the "centre" within a meter of a camera?

I can get to the length of the cable fine. Unfortunately I don't have a longer HDMI cable to test any further. It does get a little weird at the full length, like not jittery but a bit wobbly, like when I move my head around it takes a second then sorta slides 1mm or 2 into place. Especially if I turn my head ~90 degrees so that most of the LEDS from the front and back are obscured from the sensor. It's not really noticeable in game though, just when I'm specifically looking for it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The wobbly is when it's lost external tracking and is going on internal gyros alone. The rift tracking method is headset gyros and then constantly correcting for drift using the external camera, so it's going in and out which happens at max range or if it can't see 3 tracking LEDs.

My stand is in the corner and tracking is fine to the end of the cable. That means when the touch controller comes out, and you have stands in opposite corners, both will track around 3m^2 and you could have a room double that if can deal with temporary occlusion if you either buy a longer headset cable or put your PC in the center of the room somehow.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 10, 2016

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Thread;

I recently upgraded my PC to be "rift ready." I've got my DK2, my 360 controller, life is good on the oculus store.

In short, I'm asking, should I buy a Vive?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

superh posted:

Thread;

I recently upgraded my PC to be "rift ready." I've got my DK2, my 360 controller, life is good on the oculus store.

Yes you should

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

superh posted:

Thread;

That depends: Do you want VR in three days or in September?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

8one6 posted:

That depends: Do you want VR in three days or in September?

Also do you want roomscale VR and hand controllers now plus a store that actually gives you the option to get a refund if a game is broken or a steaming pile of poo poo?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You can use Steam with both, so that's not really a point in either's favor.

If you want VR now and you aren't just interested in sims, get a Vive. If you don't have anything you desperately want to play now or you can stand to wait, a better idea is to wait until the Touch controllers are out and re-evaluate then. You should also make an effort to try them both out if you can, since there are lots of small differences between them that add up, and which parts are important vary pretty greatly from person to person so it's hard to know which you'd like more without putting them on your head.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

The wobbly is when it's lost external tracking and is going on internal gyros alone. The rift tracking method is headset gyros and then constantly correcting for drift using the external camera, so it's going in and out which happens at max range or if it can't see 3 tracking LEDs.

My stand is in the corner and tracking is fine to the end of the cable. That means when the touch controller comes out, and you have stands in opposite corners, both will track around 3m^2 and you could have a room double that if can deal with temporary occlusion if you either buy a longer headset cable or put your PC in the center of the room somehow.

wait so touch roomscale will be 3x3m max? I look forward to hearing this from knifegrab for the next forever

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I think the most immersive/impressive experience I've tried so far is The FOO Show. It genuinely felt like I was sitting among three dudes talking about and loving around in the game world they made. It was also super-uncomfortable (in a neat way) when one of them would move up in my personal space. I can't wait for more episodes.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

The Walrus posted:

wait so touch roomscale will be 3x3m max? I look forward to hearing this from knifegrab for the next forever

The Fantastic Contraption video I posted earlier has the dev working with 18 feet diagonal between Rift cameras and he says it works pretty much flawlessly. He is also using a crappy usb1 extension cable that kept cutting out for one camera and a USB2 for the other and the tracking was fine for the most part, considering you are supposed to be using USB3 cables.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
How bad is the issue of tripping/getting tangled in the cables? That seems like it would be a major fault.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ShadowMoo posted:

How bad is the issue of tripping/getting tangled in the cables? That seems like it would be a major fault.

It depends on what you're doing. Some games it's not really a problem (stuff like Job Simulator where you aren't moving all over the place), and a lot worse in others (like Holopoint which encourages you to spin in circles as fast as you possibly can).

Generally it's not too bad and you learn to deal with it.

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Republicans posted:

I think the most immersive/impressive experience I've tried so far is The FOO Show. It genuinely felt like I was sitting among three dudes talking about and loving around in the game world they made. It was also super-uncomfortable (in a neat way) when one of them would move up in my personal space. I can't wait for more episodes.

It's super weird in a lot of ways, but that discomfort was one of the things that sold me on AltspaceVR. My boyfriend was asking me how it's materially different from Skype, and I must have sounded like a gibbering idiot being like "but he was up in my face! it was like he was really there!" Seeing the heads move exactly like real humans helps with the illusion too, and the Vive wands and Leap Motions go even further.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Context posted:

It's super weird in a lot of ways, but that discomfort was one of the things that sold me on AltspaceVR. My boyfriend was asking me how it's materially different from Skype, and I must have sounded like a gibbering idiot being like "but he was up in my face! it was like he was really there!" Seeing the heads move exactly like real humans helps with the illusion too, and the Vive wands and Leap Motions go even further.

Considering how basic the animations and movement are in Altspace it's amazing how it still feels like it's real people at times just by head movements and hand gestures. It really is cool and shows off the massive potential of social VR in the future.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Poetic Justice posted:

The Fantastic Contraption video I posted earlier has the dev working with 18 feet diagonal between Rift cameras and he says it works pretty much flawlessly. He is also using a crappy usb1 extension cable that kept cutting out for one camera and a USB2 for the other and the tracking was fine for the most part, considering you are supposed to be using USB3 cables.

Obviously, you have a problem if you stand in one of the camera-less corners and occlude both controllers with your body. Does the Vive still maintain tracking in those circumstances?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Obviously, you have a problem if you stand in one of the camera-less corners and occlude both controllers with your body. Does the Vive still maintain tracking in those circumstances?

He said he had the same occlusion issue in that corner with the Vive.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Poetic Justice posted:

Considering how basic the animations and movement are in Altspace it's amazing how it still feels like it's real people at times just by head movements and hand gestures. It really is cool and shows off the massive potential of social VR in the future.

Like the Metaverse from Snow Crash? :fap:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Here is his summation from reddit

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

r0ck0 posted:

Wheres the rick and morty VR game?

Slingshot in The Lab, and also Rick's Garage is a (paid) Virtual Desktop environment. (It's worth the $2, it's well done)

e: link

e2: I knew I was forgetting one! vvvv that's the only job sim I haven't played yet

e3: I haven't tried it yet and it looks a little rough but there's a portal gun skin too

Manky fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 10, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Auto Repair level of Job Simulator as well.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Awww, doesn't look like Rescuties VR is going to get funded. As shallow as the game seems, it looked like a really good game for demo purposes.

Bummer.

e: Nevermind, I'm sure it'll get finished and put up for sale anyways. Game seems almost done.
e2: Unexpected $2,000 push the last couple hours. Yay!

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 10, 2016

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Thinking about selling my Rift if anyone is interested. Used a few times, well taken care of, includes everything except the EVE: Valkyrie code, but you don't want it, trust me.

PM me.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

r0ck0 posted:

Wheres the rick and morty VR game?

https://twitter.com/JustinRoiland/status/741172407105265664

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Being Sick sucks for VR. Having a cold and the sinus pressure from either headset makes playing impossible for more than 5-10 minutes.

However, I did have a cool Interview with my insider HTC guy and hopefully they take some of my insite and run with it, or they just hire me so I can help influence some of the future HTC/Valve VR decisions.
(One big one might be making the Vive Dashboard actually useful for more than Phone Connectivity)

Got a DP cable for the Vive and with both plugged in, it is a crapshoot if thing will pick up one headset or the other.

2 thing I have found constantly so far with both plugged in. (Oculus HDMI / VIVE DP)
- Steam VR always defaults to VIVE
- Pool Nation even launched from within SteamVR with the VIVE will start Oculus Home and try to render to the Oculus instead

Will look for other issues but so far I still have to disconnect one or the other depending on what I want to use I guess.

HotRS is a awesome game but I cannot get it to work with the Rift for any period of time. (I am using the Beta branch so I'm getting updates as fast as he releases them) Launching it from the SteamVR Option (from the 3 choices on the desktop) will just crash Steam (though SteamVR stayed running kind of which was odd).

Starting Steam VR first (with only the Oculus plugged in), then launching the game from the desktop, worked but then after a little while crashed the game + Steam + SteamVR

As my VIVE is in the other room I haven't gotten to try the game with it yet, but until I get past this cold 100% I can wait until it gets patched up a bit more and I feel better playing in VR.

Other games I have tried.

Pool Nation - is awesome and I stink just as bad in Virtual Pool as I do in Real Pool.

Final Approach - is actually really, really good. IT is a VR version of the mobile game in a sense, but it is really well done. The graphics, details, and sense of scale is fantastic and really for anyone who may have played the game before on a mobile device, will instantly understand how to do it in VR, but being 3D and VR, it does get a bit more tricky for sure. Look forward to playing through it more and the new mode coming later they announced.

Cosmic Trip - is very early access content wise, but I am amazed I haven't seen it mentioned here yet. For what is in the game currently, it is extremely well polished and feels fantastic. A lot of the reviews mention this and it holds true. They make great use of the haptic feedback on the controllers, the little smile bot is cute as can be, and everything is well thought out to use roomscale to play an RTS from a first person perspective. It seriously lacks in content long term (right now it just seems to be an endless survival mode from increasing waves of baddies that are easy enough to counter with your seemingly limitless supply of resources to make laser bots) but I can see this game going really far if they keep going at this level of polish.

Chomping at the bit to jump into Elite this weekend maybe, but time, energy, being sick, whatever pending on if I do or not. I could care less to play Elite on a screen so thats what keeps me out of it most of the time. Also that "V" overlay Alpha can't get here soon enough. I got a reply from their Twitter that sounds like they might not have it in the Alpha right away as it is a custom graphics engine, but they are working on it and obviously it is one of the main games that need it. Once I can watch Netflix while flying in Elite, I'll probably not play anything else for a good while.

Outside of VR, Overwatch is scratching a FPS itch I haven't had in a while. Really fun game.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

You have way too much money if you have both a vive and a rift. Give me some.

Also aren't there mods that allow you to play vive only games on a rift and vice versa?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

EdEddnEddy posted:

HotRS is a awesome game but I cannot get it to work with the Rift for any period of time. (I am using the Beta branch so I'm getting updates as fast as he releases them) Launching it from the SteamVR Option (from the 3 choices on the desktop) will just crash Steam (though SteamVR stayed running kind of which was odd).

Starting Steam VR first (with only the Oculus plugged in), then launching the game from the desktop, worked but then after a little while crashed the game + Steam + SteamVR
This is a known issue Kairo is working on fixing. Check back in a bit and watch the thread? It does the same thing for me, only once it's running it's running for good.

ShadowMoo posted:

You have way too much money if you have both a vive and a rift. Give me some.

Also aren't there mods that allow you to play vive only games on a rift and vice versa?
There isn't any such thing as a vive-only title, except those whose main gameplay requires controllers which you can emulate - it's all open steamvr and the headset works fine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It occurred to me that the Vive/Oculus Touch could be amazing for emulating a Wiimote on Dolphin. Has anyone heard anything regarding this? The Vive wand could easily pass as a Wiimote.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Poetic Justice posted:

I've been developing demos for a company that can detect your facial expressions when wearing a HMD. The difference it makes to any kind of avatar is pretty immense.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Vive gets here tuesday - woop! Any recommendations regarding mounting methods, etc? I was hoping to be able to have it set up for either my master bedroom or living room and be able to swap, but would prefer not to have to drill holes in both haha. Not sure of how high the boxes need to be.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I've been developing demos for a company that can detect your facial expressions when wearing a HMD. The difference it makes to any kind of avatar is pretty immense.

Oh man, that sounds freaking amazing.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Pi Mu Rho posted:

We keep getting closer and closer to a Snow Crash style online world. It will be amazing.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Vive gets here tuesday - woop! Any recommendations regarding mounting methods, etc? I was hoping to be able to have it set up for either my master bedroom or living room and be able to swap, but would prefer not to have to drill holes in both haha. Not sure of how high the boxes need to be.

They are light enough that you could use those 3M Command strips to hold them up, but they might not be able to resist the internal vibration well enough to prevent tracking jitter.

Alternately, camera/equipment tripods, but they will suffer from floor vibration.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I used support rods that extend from the floor to the ceiling since they don't have a very big footprint and they fit the ceiling height needed.

http://i.imgur.com/l18tWZ5.jpg

The poles are from harbor freight, so they are about as cheap as they can be without doing something DIY. It was nice I was able to get them at the store locally, too. They aren't particularly high quality, but they are plenty stable for something as small as the lighthouse. If you want something more expensive or for ceilings taller than 114 inches, search for "support rod" or "contractor poles" or similar on Amazon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-1-support-cargo-bar-66172.html

These are the clamps, you can rotate them around the pole, and the part that has the screw mount can rotate up and down.
http://amzn.com/B00PICAE4C

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 10, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

sliderule posted:

They are light enough that you could use those 3M Command strips to hold them up, but they might not be able to resist the internal vibration well enough to prevent tracking jitter.

Alternately, camera/equipment tripods, but they will suffer from floor vibration.

There's no way in my experience to reliably attach them to command strips. The default stands don't have a flat base so you can't attach them directly.

I eventually just screwed mine into a couple 2x4s cut to length and put them on the shelf, at least that way I can bring them around with me and it's the closest to hassle free setup without having to deal with their bullshit adjuster knobs that start giving way the moment you take a step back.

I really frickin' hate the lighthouses, everything about them is horrible, and if I wasn't busy being pissed at Oculus I'd be looking forward to switching to the rift & touch controls.

I imagine actual tripods would make them a lot less frustrating to use, since you can just toss the "screw only" terrible stands they come with.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

It occurred to me that the Vive/Oculus Touch could be amazing for emulating a Wiimote on Dolphin. Has anyone heard anything regarding this? The Vive wand could easily pass as a Wiimote.

There is a Dolphin VR fork being developed chiefly by a redditor, though I think the most recent build was only posted to the oculus forums. Unfortunately the dude seems to hate both consumer versions of the rift and vive (in addition to muslims, drat you reddit for making me know this) and hasn't been doing much to update it. The current builds do work with SteamVR and the Vive, but I would not hold your breath for wand support. It's all pretty janky atm. Using a 360 controller and configuring it to emulate a wiimote works.