Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

There's no way Rockslide knows what Magnum PI is.

Exactly. Sunspot probably bought Marvel's Apple just so all phones would have that feature.

So I like how everyone's drawn fairly normal in the most recent New Avengers, except Wanda, who's drawn like she's trying to show everyone what a hot mom Billy has. This goes with her scene in the last issue where she's talking to him and Teddy about them getting married and is laying all seductive on her bed. It's just really weird.

RIP Acorn Annie, we hardly knew ye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I love that they have Vermin on the New Revengers to counter Squirrel Girl.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Poor Vermin. :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Die Laughing posted:

I love that they have Vermin on the New Revengers to counter Squirrel Girl.

That was really cool. I'm really excited about this storyline because it's old school superhero comics. I get tired of every storyline being END OF THE WORLD constantly, which is why i'm enjoying stuff like Squirrel Girl, Ms Marvel and Hellcat so much. Their problems tend to be less world shattering.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm gonna be real sad when Hellcat gets cancelled.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Last issue of Hellcat was so atrociously bad I'm kind of worried that the writer's run out of ideas, because nothing about the last issue worked at all. And it's probably had the single most constructed narrative so far, and just...a failure from start to finish.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
Comixology has Secret Invasion on sale. Is it worth buying, or at the very least any of the tie ins?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Food Guy posted:

Comixology has Secret Invasion on sale. Is it worth bu

No.

e: Okay. Mighty Avengers #13 & 18 if you're gonna read Secret Warriors afterwards.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 10, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Food Guy posted:

Comixology has Secret Invasion on sale. Is it worth buying, or at the very least any of the tie ins?

The answer to almost any Non-MAX sale is to just get Marvel Unlimited.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
Well today I discovered that Marvel Unlimited has finally decided to stop being stupid and actually take my credit card. Looks like I have a long of Marvel titles to go through slowly 12 issues at a time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Food Guy posted:

Well today I discovered that Marvel Unlimited has finally decided to stop being stupid and actually take my credit card. Looks like I have a long of Marvel titles to go through slowly 12 issues at a time.

Do you have an IPad or Kindle and a reliable internet connection? Cause you can read as much as you want with out having to download. You just "stream" them.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

No.

e: Okay. Mighty Avengers #13 & 18 if you're gonna read Secret Warriors afterwards.

Honestly, just read Secret Warriors and Hickman S.H.I.E.L.D.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Food Guy posted:

I don't remember the series as being anything special, it had a pretty neat ad campaign though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Secret Invasion had one of the absolute best high concepts for a crossover event ever conceived - possibly THE best, depending on your opinion on CW's high concept - and ended up a huge disappointment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The lead up to Secret Invasion had all the stuff about oh man, who are you going to be able to trust? Then it turned out that pretty much all the secret Skrulls just up and out themselves right away.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Loved Secret Invasion. Actually that whole run of Secret Invasion - Dark Reign - Siege is all pretty fantastic. Though I think that part of it is the Might Avengers from that period was amazing. They should give Luke Cage his own Avengers team again.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Yvonmukluk posted:

Of course, then Bendis starting writing X-Men and suddenly Cyclops Was Right all along.

Well, to be fair, he was. Just like Prowl (in IDW's Transformers series)

BrianWilly posted:

:hfive:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, but it didn't matter. The only thing he accomplished was getting a Super Nazi access to the powers of Professor X. Mutants were still on the verge of extinction nine seconds after all the phoenix bullshit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't even see what the big loving deal is. If every mutant lost their powers tomorrow the world would be pretty much the same except Wolverine would spend a lot more time in the hospital.

You can't be extinct if you're still around.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it's meant to echo the same fears people had about a decade or so ago when the whole "gay gene" thing was going around and people were asking themselves whether or not, for lack of a better term, "deleting" homosexuality via gene therapy would be ethical or not. Especially considering how modern-day X-Men are supposed to mirror the minority struggle, the idea of eliminating the mutant gene is meant to bring to mind those same debates about the ethics of such an action.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This is why I actually like the M-pox as...like, a plot device. Not that anyone's been doing anything interesting with it lately :geno:, but it constitutes more of a clear and present threat than "Well I guess there's just not that many of us mutants anymore."

Yeah, it's a Legacy Virus retread right down to the shaky AIDS metaphor, but in this case it gives mutants a clear opponent to punch...as in, Inhumans. Screw Inhumans. Punch them all day long.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Inhumans have not almost destroyed the world nearly as often as stupid mutants. And Cyclops isn't one of them. They've got my vote.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Actually Inhumans are great, and have better and more interesting books than Mutants do. And have less contrived backstories.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The descendants of an engineered alien race activated by magic smoke are LESS contrived than "it's genetic"?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Inhumans are much, much better than mutants and considering the fallout of Infinity has been all of Black Bolt's wives leaving him and Medusa divorcing him/preventing him from reclaiming the throne, and considering Crystal has to go around cleaning up Blackagar's mess by goodwill actions across the world as penance, the series has actually punished him for his actions far more than they ever have to Scott loving Summers, human piece of garbage.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JoshTheStampede posted:

The descendants of an engineered alien race activated by magic smoke are LESS contrived than "it's genetic"?

The Summers family.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

JoshTheStampede posted:

I meant more 'I am the son of you from the future who raised this baby from the present in the future as a daughter who then came back and you treated as a daughter and also there's a second you running around that is from the past when you were first getting started in this X-business, and also your daughter from the future is around and clones ofyour dead girlfriend are everywhere'

Toxxupation posted:

The Summers family.

This basically.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 10, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

Mutants are an aberrant genetic experiment based on the cosmic-scale genetic works of crazy god-like aliens. And that's the short version. They didn't just naturally occur.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Or there's the Ultimate universe explanation where they were a side-effect of trying make another Captain America.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lurdiak posted:

Mutants are an aberrant genetic experiment based on the cosmic-scale genetic works of crazy god-like aliens. And that's the short version. They didn't just naturally occur.

"Celestials hosed around with early humans and now they are a genetic strain" is just a long-winded "god did it and now its genetic". Terrigen mists are much more contrived.

Totally fair point about all the alternate timeline and time travel family tree snarls though, that poo poo is crazy. It's why I like X-stuff, but it is completely stupid.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
In humans are just a poor mans X-men so they by definition can't be better.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

KittyEmpress posted:

I meant more 'I am the son of you from the future who raised this baby from the present in the future as a daughter who then came back and you treated as a daughter and also there's a second you running around that is from the past when you were first getting started in this X-business, and also your daughter from the future is around and clones ofyour dead girlfriend are everywhere'

Hey, give the Inhumans their own comic for 50 years and we'll see how well off they are in non-convoluted plot lines. Ten years from now Black Bolt could be married to a clone of Medusa who's actually another inhuman who's terrigenesis was to make her a physical clone of Medusa in every way!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quicksilver married in briefly so the Inhumans are partially caught up in X-nonsense anyway.

Is Magneto still not their dad anymore?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Food Guy posted:

A few of the tie-ins were quite good, in particular the "Sacred Invasion" arc of Incredible Hercules (though that's probably best read as part of the larger run of the book) and Jason Aaron's Black Panther issues.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PaybackJack posted:

Hey, give the Inhumans their own comic for 50 years and we'll see how well off they are in non-convoluted plot lines. Ten years from now Black Bolt could be married to a clone of Medusa who's actually another inhuman who's terrigenesis was to make her a physical clone of Medusa in every way!

Do to Hickman I think Black Bolts status is already convoluted.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So hey, how exactly did the Inhumans wind up on Earth anyway? Like, they were on the moon, then something happened, then they were hovering near New York then Black Bolt blew up Attilan. Like, I figure it was something Hickman did in Avengers or FF that I just forgot, but someone help me remember precisely why the Inhumans decided to just chill floating around NYC?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Let's see if I can remember. They were on the moon during Silent War, then Hulk showed up and beat the poo poo out of fake Black Bolt, then secret invasion happened and real Black Bolt returned. Then something something and the Inhumans went to the Kree homeworld to rule them because the Kree were so desperate for some guidance that they decided that was a good plan. Then Hickman had some dumb prophecy bullshit make Black Bolt and the inhumans up and leave, murdering a guy who was like "Hey why are you leaving us after becoming our ruler? It's kinda rude." and we were supposed to think that was cool instead of really mean.

Then the buildup to Secret Wars happened and I took my eye off the Inhumans and now Black Bolt runs a nightclub.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lurdiak posted:

Let's see if I can remember. They were on the moon during Silent War, then Hulk showed up and beat the poo poo out of fake Black Bolt, then secret invasion happened and real Black Bolt returned. Then something something and the Inhumans went to the Kree homeworld to rule them because the Kree were so desperate for some guidance that they decided that was a good plan. Then Hickman had some dumb prophecy bullshit make Black Bolt and the inhumans up and leave, murdering a guy who was like "Hey why are you leaving us after becoming our ruler? It's kinda rude." and we were supposed to think that was cool instead of really mean.

Then the buildup to Secret Wars happened and I took my eye off the Inhumans and now Black Bolt runs a nightclub.

After the Inhumans returned to Earth, Black Bolt was part of the New Avengers/Illuminati dealing with the incursions; when Infinity happened and Thanos came to gently caress up Earth, he had a special mad-on for the Inhumans because his kid, Thane, was apparently an Inhuman (one of a hideaway group of Inhumans that didn't live on Attilan; this is the first we'd seen of any such groups, AFAIK). So Thanos came to gently caress up Attilan and Black Bolt, as a combination "gently caress you Thanos" and "let's make sure the Inhumans don't all die out here" got Maximus to help him blow up Attilan in such a way that the Terrigen Mists were dispersed throughout the world (apparently there is even now a big ol' cloud of Terrigen swirling around despite the fact that it really should have dispersed by now, but hey, comics) so isolated inhumans throughout the world, even people with dormant inhuman genes that they never knew they possessed, suddenly underwent Terrigenesis.

(this is how we get Kamala Khan, which makes it all worth it)

Then Secret Wars happened and there was a timeskip. Black Bolt is no longer King of the Inhumans. Instead he runs a nightclub.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have never and likely never will be able to summon the slightest bit of a care for the Inhumans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Blockhouse posted:

I have never and likely never will be able to summon the slightest bit of a care for the Inhumans

I can kinda see why a small handful of them are cool, but the Nuhumans save for Ms Marvel I don't give the slightest poo poo about.

• Locked thread