Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I ain't no Nostradamus but when the PS4K has come the PS4 will continue to get chunky laggy broken busted DLC-jampackfucked 900p games from EA UBI Activision, with the only difference being slightly better visuals one way or another in the NEO version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I look forward to games that will run at average 23 FPS on the original PS4 and solid 30 on the NEO.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Andrast posted:

I look forward to games that will run at average 23 FPS on the original PS4 and solid 30 on the NEO.

Fallout 4 out now

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Fallout 4 out now

Fallout 4 will probably run like garbage on the NEO too though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You get a really great look at the fog in far harbor since it runs at 3 fps. It's scenic.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
It all depends. If the NEO meant that most games ran at 60fps and that some games would be patched with that in mind, I think a lot of people would be interested. Not many sane people were ever expecting a $400-500 console to be a 4K native game running powerhouse. If the architecture and specs are similar to the last console anyway, it may not be super difficult for devs working on both games. I would imagine you start with the PS4 in mind and make some optimizations for the NEO hardware, wether that ended up being worth a drat is anyones guess.

Really it is too early to say one way or another. I am a little skeptical, but I think more people than they are willing to admit would buy a console even if it was just for more FPS.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

It all depends. If the NEO meant that most games ran at 60fps and that some games would be patched with that in mind, I think a lot of people would be interested. Not many sane people were ever expecting a $400-500 console to be a 4K native game running powerhouse. If the architecture and specs are similar to the last console anyway, it may not be super difficult for devs working on both games. I would imagine you start with the PS4 in mind and make some optimizations for the NEO hardware, wether that ended up being worth a drat is anyones guess.

Really it is too early to say one way or another. I am a little skeptical, but I think more people than they are willing to admit would buy a console even if it was just for more FPS.

There is literally zero chance that the NEO is powerful enough to run games at 60 FPS while the original runs them at (on a good day) at 30.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/741261282993688576

Atelier Sophie is getting yet another patch soon.

KT quality control good as always.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

There is literally zero chance that the NEO is powerful enough to run games at 60 FPS while the original runs them at (on a good day) at 30.

Some games like hitman run at like 45 fps and get capped at 30. Getting 60 out of them is probably easier than others

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Andrast posted:

Maybe Lichdom will run at more than 20 fps, eh?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone here own this remote for their PS4?

https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-...al+Media+Remote

It's on sale for ten bucks at Best Buy today, so I'm curious if it's as bad as the reviews make it out to be.

EDIT: Never mind, just had someone tell me about using CEC to control Netflix et all with my tv remote.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 10, 2016

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
They aren't throwing in SLI Titans and another 8 gigs of RAM; performance is still going to be 100% up to the dev and if they really wanted to enforce standards they should do that by failing games out of certification, not destroying the hardware generation business model.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

You get a really great look at the fog in far harbor since it runs at 3 fps. It's scenic.
Have you downloaded the new version? It runs on par with the main game now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

J-Spot posted:

Have you downloaded the new version? It runs on par with the main game now.

So 15 fps then?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

So 15 fps then?
If you haven't played it since release it runs a lot better nowadays. Mostly 30 with occasional dips in heavy combat or dense urban areas.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

J-Spot posted:

If you haven't played it since release it runs a lot better nowadays. Mostly 30 with occasional dips in heavy combat or dense urban areas.

I'm actually tempted to reinstall FO4 based on this. I tried it when it came out but the Framerate was totally abysmal and soured my experience with it.

Patched or not, Bethesda suck rear end at developing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

J-Spot posted:

I sunk hundreds of hours into the game, so obviously found it good enough, but none of the patches significantly improved the performance imo. The places where it was real bad, it continues to be real bad.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I sunk hundreds of hours into the game, so obviously found it good enough, but none of the patches significantly improved the performance imo. The places where it was real bad, it continues to be real bad.
There are still spotty bits but I feel like there's far fewer instances where it really sticks out as bad. I remember playing on launch day and it was significantly worse than it is now. The Corvega plant was the most egregious offender and it ran at like 15 fps both inside and out. Now I don't think there's any problem inside and outside there's maybe a drop of 3-5 frames or so.

I'll be interested to see if there's anything modders can do to up the performance better than Bethesda has.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

J-Spot posted:

There are still spotty bits but I feel like there's far fewer instances where it really sticks out as bad. I remember playing on launch day and it was significantly worse than it is now. The Corvega plant was the most egregious offender and it ran at like 15 fps both inside and out. Now I don't think there's any problem inside and outside there's maybe a drop of 3-5 frames or so.

I'll be interested to see if there's anything modders can do to up the performance better than Bethesda has.

I still remember that low poly grass mod for Oblivion, that had zero visual difference. Because Bethesda though a 2d billboard of grass needed a stupid amount of triangles.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Did anyone make a PS4 Thread: They Named the Fifth Playstation the Playstation 4 joke yet?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm starting to think this might be the end for this tradition. Best Buy is only doing $25 in store credit after you pay $80+ per game, Future Shop is of course dead, and the only reason we're seeing sporadic sales is because Walmart and Amazon are in a price war.

Speaking of which, Watch Dogs 2 is $50 today. No one has ever regretted preordering that series.

I'm holding out hope Amazon Canada announces a pre-order deal like they had around last Black Friday.

Best Buy is doing the certificates which is great when you get them and can use them towards future games, but I'd prefer the straight up money off.

Edit:
Ah, Amazon Canada announced their deals and at first I thought they were crappy, but looks like they have a ton of pre-orders for 20% off. That works for me.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 10, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
stupid question, but how are the persona games, i have never played them and i am interested in 5. how is 4 and others?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

stupid question, but how are the persona games, i have never played them and i am interested in 5. how is 4 and others?

They're my favorite JRPGs ever (well, 3 and 4). If you have a Vita (which would be weird if you weren't already into Persona) definitely play P4 Golden

edit: they mostly stand alone, too, you don't have to play them in order

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
:canada: Doom is 50 dollars with free shipping on Amazon.ca :canada:

Now that's a deal I can get behind. :)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jetfire posted:

Did anyone make a PS4 Thread: They Named the Fifth Playstation the Playstation 4 joke yet?

Except it's not.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

manyak posted:

Its really funny how NBA 2k16 crams in all the Spike Lee cutscenes into the first like 10 games of the career mode, so youre still a 50 overall rated guy who plays 5 minutes a game and sucks but the cutscenes are treating you like an all-star hero

I gave up when I was losing all the high school games because these controls make no sense to me. I was amazed that the loading screens kept praising me as some all star and colleges kept trying to recruit me...

Really wanted to enjoy the Spike Lee Joint, but I'm too terrible at this game.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just a heads up to Canadians. Amazon.ca has the Persona 5 special edition available to pre-order. It's not part of the E3 deal though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They are fun games. Half dungeon crawl half teen life simulator. You go to class, hang out, go steady with a special someone, and solve murders in dungeons. The dungeons are typically just random hallways with bad guys to fight in turn based battle but the depth comes from fusing your persona demon with other demons to get new powers and stuff its cool.
If you want to play the best versions of the older games though you need a vita. The vita version of 4 especially is a huge improvement over ps2.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
P4G is worth a Vita if you play on the go/commute or a PSTV.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

MrLonghair posted:

P4G is worth a Vita if you play on the go/commute or a PSTV.

Don't be like that nothing justifies having a vita.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Irsh posted:

I gave up when I was losing all the high school games because these controls make no sense to me. I was amazed that the loading screens kept praising me as some all star and colleges kept trying to recruit me...

Really wanted to enjoy the Spike Lee Joint, but I'm too terrible at this game.

Just start watching these. You get all the benefits of a sub-David Cage story mode and none of the hassle of trying to play a poo poo game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRvDKsUN-dI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You should feel no shame in turning the game down to the easiest difficulty and setting all the sliders to their most arcadey.

The default settings are for people who know the sport and have been playing this game since they were kids.

Also no one should watch the Best Friends Play anything

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

who's sean vanaman

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

who's sean vanaman

Based on those tweets, an idiot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

sounds pretty right though aside from calling apple pro consumer

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I think he's in one of those 45 minute long staff rolls in a Ubisoft game

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If you've never played any of them, Persona takes the almost impenetrable depth of the Shin Megami Tensei games (like Nocturne on the PS2) and makes them just a tiny tiny bit more streamlined and accessible. They're basically really tightly put together Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy style games that expect you to learn the way they work and be comfortable with it to not die horribly. Less forgiving than your usual JRPG but not complex enough to be unfair.

And yeah they're pretty drat good. Persona 1 is kind of dated and a bit more obtuse, same with both Persona 2s, but 3 and 4 are basically perfect and I expect nothing less from 5.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

who's sean vanaman

He was the writer for Firewatch.

Ironic, because didn't it work terribly on PS4 at release

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Andrast posted:

They seem pretty mild to me.

Dunno why PS4'ers would decide the PS4 Neo is suddenly the breaking point for being unable to cope with not playing the shiniest version of a game. PCs are already the NEO for 90% of the games. Better FPS, better resolution, etc. That gap gets bigger each year regardless of what Sony does, until they set a new normal with the PS5 or whatever. It's just the tradeoff for not spending a few hundred bucks to keep up with the latest and greatest, whether it's a Neo or a graphics card.

• Locked thread