Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Would someone like to enlighten me as to why Jotaro did loving nothing this episode?

he walked briskly towards red hot chili pepper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
It's a real shame Jotaro doesn't possess any sort of ability that would allow him to, say, cover a small distance in a shorter amount of time

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wait I forgot, he needs a chaos emerald to use it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I feel like the episode was actually pretty bad, especially by JoJo and david standards. Even when they usually aren't producing 100% gold, it's usually better than this one was.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

no they will not posted:

It's a real shame Jotaro doesn't possess any sort of ability that would allow him to, say, cover a small distance in a shorter amount of time

Jotaro's player couldn't turn up to this session so his PC light has dimmed today.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Like if they had just made Jotaro late for some random reason it would've been way better, I think.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jotaro had to be there to tell everyone about Joseph, though

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
The thing is, Red Hot Chilli Pepper is on a motorbike and Okuyasu can teleport, you just have to show that Jotaro is making an effort to get there as soon as possible and make the distance bigger and it's fine. It's been a while, and I read it all at once, but I never got the impression in the manga that Jotaro just kind of hung around and did nothing when he was able to just TOKI WO TOMARE and take the yellow kappa's loving head off.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's a shame Okuyasu's not very smart, otherwise he could have used The Hand to drag Jotaro and the others over to him instead of waiting for them to briskly stroll closer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Jotaro hasn't really used time stop since the end of Part 3, and he can't stop time for as long as he used to be able to, as shown by when he used it against Josuke.

So there's not much he could really do to get over there faster.

I do think that Okuyasu stomping on RHCP should have looked more brutal, though. It just looks like he gave him a back massage with his foot.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rohan Kishibe posted:

The thing is, Red Hot Chilli Pepper is on a motorbike and Okuyasu can teleport, you just have to show that Jotaro is making an effort to get there as soon as possible and make the distance bigger and it's fine. It's been a while, and I read it all at once, but I never got the impression in the manga that Jotaro just kind of hung around and did nothing when he was able to just TOKI WO TOMARE and take the yellow kappa's loving head off.

Yeah, if Jotaro had just been running the whole time instead of sauntering leisurely, that would have gone a long way. Maybe sprinkle a line to the effect of "He's too far away to catch with time stop" when Oku loses, too. The fight isn't great, but lacking these things really siphoned some tension from it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Good old Peed Agon.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

No but seriously why didn't Jotaro punch the bike or something while Chili Pepper was talking

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lizard Wizard posted:

No but seriously why didn't Jotaro punch the bike or something while Chili Pepper was talking

In the Jojo universe,time moves very slowly when characters go into flowery metaphors and elaborate explanations about what's going on at the moment

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's probably hundreds of moments in JJBA where a character could do something while someone is talking but they don't.

Like, say, Hanged Man letting Polnareff give the speech about how he's going to send J. Geil to hell instead of stabbing him in the neck immediately. And then he lets Kakyoin do the same thing. Or Dio at the end of Phantom Blood going "Oh no, Wang Chun is going to hold the pistons of the ship and blow it up. That would be extremely inconvenient to me, Dio." instead of just telling the zombies to eat Wang Chun immediately.

Protagonists are equally as guilty, like Jotaro getting ready to have Star Platinum punch Wheel of Fortune's underside, only to stop because ZZ started to explain his gasoline bullets ability.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 10, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Like they made such a big loving deal about Red Hot Chili Peppers not being a match for Star Platinum, and yet we don't get even as much as a wet fart's worth of effort from Jotaro.

I'm mad about this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The actual answer as to why Jotaro doesn't use his time stop as soon as RHCP appears to murder the hell out of it is because it's an Okuyasu character building fight and everything is always a slave to story telling.

It's not the answer you want, but it's definitely the right answer.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It was bad and I hate it

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

This episode was weird, it was like everyone was completely stupid for some reason.

On an unrelated note, I heavily dislike Koichi and his big dumb face?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Why does DIO's time stop last for 45 seconds of talking if he's only got 10 seconds?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The actual answer as to why Jotaro doesn't use his time stop as soon as RHCP appears to murder the hell out of it is because it's an Okuyasu character building fight and everything is always a slave to story telling.

I wouldn't want Jotaro to like take over his fight or anything, but I think a little offhand explanation other than "Jotaro is thinking about sea cucumbers" isn't that onerous a request.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think there's no redeeming it. Jotaro's explicitly described as being too cautious by RHCP. It's not within his established character to not be on the ball and let RHCP slip or not take action. He's certainly not the type of person who would be distracted at that point. It's just not what Araki wanted to tell.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I wouldn't want Jotaro to like take over his fight or anything, but I think a little offhand explanation other than "Jotaro is thinking about sea cucumbers" isn't that onerous a request.

Jotaro is still wondering why Josuke took his pen.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I didn't like RHCP and I think it's appropriate that they gave this episode to outsource korean animators

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think they did well with what they had to work with given the events in the manga. i'm sure some pacing could have been handled better to make it more obvious why X character didn't do Y thing, but this bit is very much a transition period between the previous episode and the actual conclusion.

it's just something that's going to happen occasionally

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i mean i agree but they could've drawn him a bit further away at least. i remember him being further away in the manga [possible false memory]

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Okuyasu might not always come out on top, but he tries really hard and that's all that matters!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
...Oh yeah. I guess we should worry about Okuyasu.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm a fan of things serving the plot, rather than what seems practical or whatever

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the music when rhcp got powered up was dope as hell

that's all that really stood out to me this episode

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Wow I did not expect this much backlash to a time honored shonen tradition like "character A is talking and character B doesn't act until the talking is over." I think some of you are really overblowing this. Star Platinum can't stop time for more than a second at this point, it's an almost entirely useless ability for covering ground or chasing someone. The point of the scene was RHCP taking advantage of Okuyasu's simplemindedness to confuse him into acting prematurely so he didn't have to deal with Jotaro. The fact that the way this plays out in motion makes it seem like Jotaro and the others were just standing around like goofs for a good minute or two is just an unfortunate side effect of the medium. I would've liked a change to show them running over a little sooner or a throwaway line explaining why they took so long as well but I don't think they saw it as as big of an issue as you guys seem to.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

this wasn't really going to be a home run of an episode no matter what really, it's all just set up for next week

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Jotaro can't run because as we see in Stardust Crusaders, he doesn't wear socks with his loafers and would get a pretty bad blister if he goes faster than a power walk.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Brother Entropy posted:

this wasn't really going to be a home run of an episode no matter what really, it's all just set up for next week

yeah, pretty much. it's not a mystery that the actual confrontation happens next episode, there just needed to be some build-up to explain why RHCP's user knows what's going on to set the stage. so far all the previous episodes have had a lot of action going on or at least some sort of 'what' events happening, so it's probably odd to run into an episode like this after the 10 or so previous. there were some pacing issues here and there, but it was always sort of a strange chain of events.

also stopping time wipes out jotaro physically because he hasn't exactly been practicing it, so don't expect him to be chain-stopping time to get places quickly especially given that he can only do it for like...a fraction of the time he could before.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I like this episode because it has my favorite gag of Koichi going "wait, is that the motherfucker who stole my homework?"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Well I quite enjoyed the episode myself. I enjoyed seeing Okuyasu fight.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

Wow I did not expect this much backlash to a time honored shonen tradition like "character A is talking and character B doesn't act until the talking is over." I think some of you are really overblowing this. Star Platinum can't stop time for more than a second at this point, it's an almost entirely useless ability for covering ground or chasing someone. The point of the scene was RHCP taking advantage of Okuyasu's simplemindedness to confuse him into acting prematurely so he didn't have to deal with Jotaro. The fact that the way this plays out in motion makes it seem like Jotaro and the others were just standing around like goofs for a good minute or two is just an unfortunate side effect of the medium. I would've liked a change to show them running over a little sooner or a throwaway line explaining why they took so long as well but I don't think they saw it as as big of an issue as you guys seem to.

Normally they're better about making it look plausible. Jotaro and Josuke approaching at a leisurely stroll really didn't communicate a desperate rush. Placing them on the far side of the field and actually animating them running would have cleared the problem up entirely and not made the whole battle look so friggin stupid

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Right in the middle of the final boss and mom decides it's time to turn the game off. I feel your pain, Josuke bro, I feel your pain...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This part was so much better in the manga!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

On the topic of things people don't like about the episode, I found it really weird that Josuke is pretty :geno: about Okuyasu almost dying.

I mean Jotaro being that way makes sense. He's kind of a dick, emotionally distant, and doesn't really know Okuyasu that well. But for Josuke, who's already gotten upset over Koichi just getting elbowed into a door, to just be like "Oh, yeah, I guess I should heal that guy." feels really out of character. Especially since, in his debut, he reassured Okuyasu that his brother cared about him in the end and they're supposed to be on better terms now than they were then.

• Locked thread