Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

lmao some goon's roommate decided to build a new room (:psyduck:) in the middle of their rental house

This is a fantastic story. Too bad the law and building code compliance doesn't work like that. I often get brought in to resolve a number of non-compliant buildings but nothing like that. Although that said Government Departments here often did illegal building work without notifying the local Council or that landlord so I guess they're no better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Reminds me of the sketchy rear end Airbnb room I stayed in over the winter. Dude took a huge room in a converted factory in Brooklyn and turned it in to a literal shanty town. It was a good size with no walls, but he turned it into like eight separate tiny rooms. Lumber and shoddy unfinished drywall. Landlords know and are cool with it, as long as they're getting their money.

Let me know if I need to take this down: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5757321?eluid=0&euid=e6f24617-66fb-70d9-9b01-84a29ec349ff

Sure, the pictures on the site make it look nice, but the rooms are horrifying.

In his case, I think it might count as GWM. While the rent is $5,500 a month (what :aaa: ) he's getting about $1,800 per tiny cubicle room.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
If the stay is less than 30 days and the owner/tenant is not present, then it's an illegal hotel in NYC. They get busted from time to time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

pig slut lisa posted:

Recently, O got this idea into his head that he could build a new room in the living room as he paid enough rent and lived there long enough (since 2013).
How did he not even think to ask the landlord first? I get that he's a college student in babby's first apartment, but that's above and beyond the dumb poo poo most college students would pull. :psyduck:

And now they're all going to be hosed, because I doubt that guy has enough money to cover the repairs.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Haha that's a six minute walk away. I should report the guy- he was a major rear end in a top hat.

e: Nevermind. Owner occupied and he's always there. Being an rear end in a top hat.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Moneyball posted:

Reminds me of the sketchy rear end Airbnb room I stayed in over the winter. Dude took a huge room in a converted factory in Brooklyn and turned it in to a literal shanty town. It was a good size with no walls, but he turned it into like eight separate tiny rooms. Lumber and shoddy unfinished drywall. Landlords know and are cool with it, as long as they're getting their money.

Let me know if I need to take this down: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5757321?eluid=0&euid=e6f24617-66fb-70d9-9b01-84a29ec349ff

In his case, I think it might count as GWM. While the rent is $5,500 a month (what :aaa: ) he's getting about $1,800 per tiny cubicle room.

People seem to like it a lot so I'm more inclined to think it's just you having a stick up your rear end about your $50 airbnb accommodations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Never trust a man named "Robin"

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zo posted:

People seem to like it a lot so I'm more inclined to think it's just you having a stick up your rear end about your $50 airbnb accommodations.

Counterpoint: Literal deathtrap.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

pig slut lisa posted:

lmao some goon's roommate decided to build a new room (:psyduck:) in the middle of their rental house

This is bizarre. Who seriously thinks that's okay?

Link to his posts in the thread - there's pictures!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Hope he's got a good maritime lawyer on retainer!

Chareth Cutestory is available to take your case!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Is space in LA really at such a premium that someone would live in a room closet storage shed like that? I thought LA was a nightmare of urban sprawl which is why there's no good mass transit as opposed to SF which has a shitton of people trying to live in little buildings packed very closely.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I don't have a link because I'm on my phone but there's a guy on Reddit right now who wants to buy a sailboat with his friends in Seattle and rent it out on AirBnB.

The sad thing is that this is actually a phenomenally good business plan in a lot of states with judicial foreclosure processes, where you could just buy a condo in a premium place, default immediately and rent it out for a huge amount of money while stalling the foreclosure for the better part of a decade. People already do this with rentals, but airbnb would be even better cash flow

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 10, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

mastershakeman posted:

The sad thing is that this is actually a phenomenally good business plan in a lot of states with judicial foreclosure processes, where you could just buy a condo in a premium place, default immediately and rent it out for a huge amount of money while stalling the foreclosure for the better part of a decade. People already do this with rentals, but airbnb would be even better cash flow

Good point. Have fun trying to serve him personally while he's battling storms on the high seas!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

mastershakeman posted:

Really? Can you link to articles about this practice if you have any handy?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nail Rat posted:

Good point. Have fun trying to serve him personally while he's battling storms on the high seas!

Hah that would be phenomenal. "Your Honor, the plaintiff knew where I was the entire time, I never left the premises! They could have easily served me!" "Oh come on, he was in the middle of a typhoon!"

Maritime eviction law has to be phenomenal

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

"You're a crook, Captain Hook, judge won't you throw the book at the piiiiirate?"

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Hah that would be phenomenal. "Your Honor, the plaintiff knew where I was the entire time, I never left the premises! They could have easily served me!" "Oh come on, he was in the middle of a typhoon!"

I assume you've read this one on ship repo men:

http://nytimes.com/2015/12/29/world/americas/maritime-repo-men-a-last-resort-for-stolen-ships.html?referer=

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Zo posted:

Counter-counterpoint: this is a picture of one of the :airquote: lofts :airquote:

I've seen enough deceptive shots of apartments in Vancouver to know when I'm being advertised a literal 4-5 foot tall crawlspace made with wooden planks and particle board. Tower fans like those are ~36" tall. I'll let you eyeball the rest.

Not to mention having to squeeze between the gaps made by the giant pipe to get into the actual bed.

Tipps fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 10, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That looks perfectly reasonable for a $50/night accommodation.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Hardberger wrote an entertaining book about his misadventures in ship repossession. That guy must have a ton of stories beyond what was deemed ok by a publisher.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Tipps posted:

Counter-counterpoint: this is a picture of one of the :airquote: lofts :airquote:

I've seen enough deceptive shots of apartments in Vancouver to know when I'm being advertised a literal 4-5 foot tall crawlspace made with wooden planks and particle board. Tower fans like those are ~36" tall. I'll let you eyeball the rest.

Not to mention having to squeeze between the gaps made by the giant pipe to get into the actual bed.

Chungking Mansions comes to America

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If I had to stay in Manhattan for 3 days on the cheap, I'd rent a cargo van and throw in an air mattress. Seems way more comfortable than firetrap shanty town. About $220 total for rental, gas, parking meters. Also, drive yourself around town, gently caress cabs or subway :D

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nitrox posted:

If I had to stay in Manhattan for 3 days on the cheap, I'd rent a cargo van and throw in an air mattress. Seems way more comfortable than firetrap shanty town. About $220 total for rental, gas, parking meters. Also, drive yourself around town, gently caress cabs or subway :D

Yeah, driving a cargo van around Manhattan sounds like a great life choice.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Tipps posted:

I don't think they're being deceptive. I think they're going for people thinking they try to be deceptive and then get money out of pity because they're really bad at deceiving with the mirror and stuff.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That looks perfectly reasonable for a $50/night accommodation.

With the room advertised as a private room when it appears to lead directly into the common area with no door? And keep in mind this is the most flattering photo they could take.

For $50/night you can get a proper hostel bed, not a sketchy unlicensed and deceptively-advertised one.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Great reviews. Unless they are fake, nobody here has much of an argument. (Maybe a safety/legal one, but nobody is talking about that)

The post is super clear about the type of place this is and type of people that it is meant for. I would never stay here. But I can see why a lot of people love it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Nitrox posted:

Parking where exactly? Most streets in Manhattan have meters that need to be fed every few minutes. Actual parking tends to have attendants who will throw you out if you appear to be living there. There isn't a lot of free parking unless you are a free parking genius.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Also no one smiles like that once they realize what "driving yourself around" in Manhattan actually entails.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nitrox posted:

The subway is great and driving yourself around Manhattan would be awful.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BarbarianElephant posted:

Parking where exactly? Most streets in Manhattan have meters that need to be fed every few minutes. Actual parking tends to have attendants who will throw you out if you appear to be living there. There isn't a lot of free parking unless you are a free parking genius.

This is laughably incorrect. The vast majority of street parking spaces in Manhattan are unmetered. Of course, it's still difficult to find a street spot, but that's because they're overcrowded due to being free.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

Subjunctive posted:

Why yes officer, I did just rent this van to park it in various areas around Manhattan. Wait, why are you arresting me?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Nitrox posted:

Insisting on paying for car rental, gas, and parking in a city with a great public transit system is BWM, and probably BWL. Unless these somehow look like steets you want to drive around.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Nitrox posted:

New thread title

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Saeku posted:

With the room advertised as a private room when it appears to lead directly into the common area with no door? And keep in mind this is the most flattering photo they could take.

For $50/night you can get a proper hostel bed, not a sketchy unlicensed and deceptively-advertised one.

Yes, I also don't trust airbnb user opinion, I do not trust any $50 a night hotel room unless the city of New York is collecting 15% in taxes to thoroughly and scrupulously monitor it

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

potatoducks posted:

(Maybe a safety/legal one, but nobody is talking about that)

This is exactly what everyone is talking about?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pig slut lisa posted:

This is laughably incorrect. The vast majority of street parking spaces in Manhattan are unmetered. Of course, it's still difficult to find a street spot, but that's because they're overcrowded due to being free.

Though if you have a van, just take 30 minutes out of your day and drive to one of the outer boroughs where you can more reliably find some parking.

I drive a tiny car and even then driving around manhattan is complete hell

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Most cargo vans don't lock from the inside either, AFAIK, so you're effectively camping.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Are we going full circle that now cars are GWM if you use them as your primary residence?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Dustoph posted:

Are we going full circle that now cars are GWM if you use them as your primary residence?

The wafflestompers are out in full force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There was a flurry of misinformed and ridiculous responses since I posted the cargo van option. Is it a good option? I own a cargo van. We had 2 people camp in it along with dirt bikes and a great deal of creature comforts. Is it a better alternative to a hotel? No. Is it a better alternative to a shantytown 4x6 firetrap space? Hell loving yes. Is it better than a tent? Depends how you look at it. It's certainly easier when changing locations. Festivals and shore trips are loving magical when you have a mini house on wheels.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/24699497933858642/

Check out some cool van camper videos on YouTube.

Subjunctive posted:

Most cargo vans don't lock from the inside either, AFAIK, so you're effectively camping.
Are you thinking of a Uhaul boxtruck or something? Actual cargo vans do 100% of the time. Both of my Express and Sprinter have child locks on side door also. Because there is a passenger variant and it's much cheaper to make one lock and handle for everyone.

Renegret posted:

Though if you have a van, just take 30 minutes out of your day and drive to one of the outer boroughs where you can more reliably find some parking.

I drive a tiny car and even then driving around manhattan is complete hell
I drive and park one of these in Manhattan

It's not easy, but doable.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also no one smiles like that once they realize what "driving yourself around" in Manhattan actually entails.
See above.

Haifisch posted:

Insisting on paying for car rental, gas, and parking in a city with a great public transit system is BWM, and probably BWL. Unless these somehow look like steets you want to drive around.
We're talking about poor man sleeping arrangements, not driving it around for enjoyment. Unless you plan on sleeping in a subway car? It's not that great, trust me.

kaishek posted:

Why yes officer, I did just rent this van to park it in various areas around Manhattan. Wait, why are you arresting me?
Probably for unrelated reason. Because sleeping in a van is not a criminal offense.

BarbarianElephant posted:

The gently caress is this horseshit. No, there is no such meter that "needs to be fed every few minutes". Most parking is 1-2 hours in congested areas, while there is free parking on select streets.

Subjunctive posted:

Are you saying it's worse than this?

Moneyball posted:

• Locked thread