Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dwarf74 posted:

My wife and I played through Gone Home tonight. It was real good.

I'm glad we got it through Plus because we probably never would have specifically bought it. But that was a good 3 hours.

It was an excellent five minutes but I sadly was unable to get the Homerunner trophy..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

univbee posted:

Region locking for games is basically no longer a thing for non-Nintendo consoles. It mostly wasn't last gen either, although Persona 4 Arena was region-locked (and the only PS3 game to do so).

Physical order it is then. Amazon is probably the best or is there some better shop with international shipping in USA?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mallamp posted:

Physical order it is then. Amazon is probably the best or is there some better shop with international shipping in USA?

Some European/UK stores carry NA exclusives, e.g. Rice Digital, which might be easier as far as shipping times, customs etc.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I made a white guy in NBA 2K16, it's funny playing a storyline clearly intended for you to be a black player.

Also I suck at the game, so after a 5 minute cutscene of my agent saying how great I am and how I'm the second coming and that me getting drafted 1st overall would mean I'd be rich... I get drafted 21st overall

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Welcome to the real world

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Katana Gomai posted:

So is it really just a VM-esque walking simulator or does it have, like, horror elements and poo poo

It's a exploration-based mystery game. The protagonist comes home after an extended trip elsewhere to find her house empty. You explore the really detailed environment and piece together what happened, where her family have gone and what's been going on in the months you've been away. It's set in the mid-90s and if you grew up around that time you'll probably get a lot extra out of it, because it portrays the time period really well and you'll find a lot of stuff that'll make you go "oh, poo poo, i used to have one of these", "my family did this as well" etc. It's a walking simulator in as much as that describes any first-person game with no guns in it but it's more about searching rooms and reading/examining lots of hand-drawn/written assets. It's charming, emotionally deep, and pretty funny.

It also has the most realistically rendered condom you've ever seen in a videogame so look out for that.

Faux Mulder fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 10, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The best thing about the Spike Lee story mode was how mad it made random internet idiots that for the first time in the history of gaming a game assumed you weren't white

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Bogart posted:

Nights of Azure is 25bux on Amazon. Was that game any good?

In Canada it's on sale for $70! Down from $85!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bogart posted:

Nights of Azure is 25bux on Amazon. Was that game any good?

It's a fairly shallow action RPG with demon summons and the story is mostly about the exceptionally heavy implied lesbian romance between the main characters. I didn't regret buying it at launch but $25 is a much better price for it.

In Training posted:

You can beat richter mode in like 30 minutes

I have to do every boss.

Have to.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a fairly shallow action RPG with demon summons and the story is mostly about the exceptionally heavy implied lesbian romance between the main characters. I didn't regret buying it at launch but $25 is a much better price for it.

I have to do every boss.

Have to.

HYDRO STORM
HYDRO STORM
HYDRO STORM

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

mallamp posted:

Order from VGP, they're Canadian and ship worldwide

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Faux Mulder posted:

It's a exploration-based mystery game. The protagonist comes home after an extended trip elsewhere to find her house empty. You explore the really detailed environment and piece together what happened, where her family have gone and what's been going on in the months you've been away. It's set in the mid-90s and if you grew up around that time you'll probably get a lot extra out of it, because it portrays the time period really well and you'll find a lot of stuff that'll make you go "oh, poo poo, i used to have one of these", "my family did this as well" etc. It's a walking simulator in as much as that describes any first-person game with no guns in it but it's more about searching rooms and reading/examining lots of hand-drawn/written assets. It's charming, emotionally deep, and pretty funny.

It also has the most realistically rendered condom you've ever seen in a videogame so look out for that.

How does it compare to Firewatch or Life Is Strange? I've played through the former & enjoyed it, my girlfriend wants to get the latter. I'm unfamiliar with Gone Home.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

How does it compare to Firewatch or Life Is Strange? I've played through the former & enjoyed it, my girlfriend wants to get the latter. I'm unfamiliar with Gone Home.

It's way shorter than Firewatch and has way more interaction with and exploration of a single, fairly small locale. Also, no interactive dialogue. That said, if you enjoyed Firewatch, you will probably enjoy Gone Home.

Life Is Strange is a post-Walking-Dead Telltale-style adventure game.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Hobo Clown posted:

you will probably like Life is Strange if you liked Firewatch (the faux-teenspeak grows on you after a while)

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed Life Is Strange even though I hated a character I think I was supposed to like/care about.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

the truth posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Life Is Strange even though I hated a character I think I was supposed to like/care about.

Nobody liked Chloe. Pretty sure that was the point.

Anyway, Forbidden Siren trophies are up so that's the next PS2 classic.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Get out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

what kinda game is it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Real hurthling! posted:

what kinda game is it

Survival horror which can be described as taking heavy influences from Silent Hill 2 and popular Japanese horror films. Bad controls mired the experience back then, which I imagine it's worse now. But, still, it's got quite a few fans.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Real hurthling! posted:

what kinda game is it

stealth based survival horror game where you must navigate levels filled with immortal hivemind zombies. The trick is you have access to the same hivemind so you can see the whole level through the eyes of all the zombies in the area, so you use it to map out the area and see where all the enemies patrol. Cool idea but unforgivably difficult due to some of the zombies being ace snipers with range further than you can actually see in the sight jack mode.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
A few weeks ago when it was on sale I complained that Sony would let you buy Valkyria Chronicles 2 on the PSTV but not download it. It looks like since then they've removed that limitation and now it's able to be downloaded.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Oh that's neat. I was curious about this series because the remake of this is a ps plus game, so I'll hold off until I play the original to check it out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saoshyant posted:

I liked Chloe, she was just a hosed up kid

Also cool but that game was designed with the manual literally giving you hints in mind so it reallllllly needs a guide, unless you love figuring out obscure poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Interesting if they release Siren 2 though, it's one of the few games that got a Euro release but not a US one. It's also a much better game than the first.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked Chloe, she was just a hosed up kid

Also cool but that game was designed with the manual literally giving you hints in mind so it reallllllly needs a guide, unless you love figuring out obscure poo poo.

I haven't played any of the PS2 rereleased but other similar ideas on Nintendo consoles almost always has a manual with it, which i hope this does

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I played Gone Home, and while I did enjoy it I am not sure if I would have wanted to spend money on it. It can easily, and most suitably, be completed in a few hours in one sitting(or within minutes if you know where to look and don't give gently caress). But I found my self more invested in video game characters then I have for awhile, and you don't even actually interact with any of them. Its really worth looking at everything. There is more going on then the main storyline too, not to mention all the tiny little details if you look for them. Like the maze being completed on the back of the cereal box, it means nothing to the story but it shows the attention to detail that its a lived in home, just no one is home but you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I haven't played any of the PS2 rereleased but other similar ideas on Nintendo consoles almost always has a manual with it, which i hope this does

I have a few and I don't think they do but I'm not 100% sure

I'm glad Sony seem to be putting up some real obscure games though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Saoshyant posted:

Yesssssss SIREN is one of my favorite PS2 games and I would be so down to play it again.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Shnag posted:

I played Gone Home, and while I did enjoy it I am not sure if I would have wanted to spend money on it.

Yeah it's perfect for a plus game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shnag posted:

(or within minutes if you know where to look and don't give gently caress)

I mean, yes, but that would be completely missing the point (which is exploring a perfectly-rendered snapshot of a 90s white middle-class American house).

It's a cool game and I'm glad I bought it at launch for the full price.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Sakurazuka posted:

I have a few and I don't think they do but I'm not 100% sure

I'm glad Sony seem to be putting up some real obscure games though.

Press 'down' on the game's panel in the PS4's main menu, the manual is one of the options there. At least for Dark Cloud 2 it is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Press 'down' on the game's panel in the PS4's main menu, the manual is one of the options there. At least for Dark Cloud 2 it is.

Do those still launch in the browser? I heard yhat sony put out a ps4 document viewer app for stuff like that recently

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean, yes, but that would be completely missing the point (which is exploring a perfectly-rendered snapshot of a 90s white middle-class American house).

It's a cool game and I'm glad I bought it at launch for the full price.

The only thing that threw me off was that was a big rear end fuckin' mansion of a house for a failing/failed conspiracy writer and a city worker. I didn't make it past the usage of the word "zine" in the basement, though, so idk if the parents had some other massive source of income. Or maybe the housing market was ultra affordable in Oregon(?) in the 90's.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
House was inherited. Also finished Gone Home last night and I thought it was fantastic. It's like they took rooting through someone's house in Skyrim and made it better.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Theres actually some hidden subplots on the previous owners of the house but it's a lot more hidden than the others

TenTwelveTwelve
Oct 12, 2012
I was happy that it reminded me that M.A.N.T.I.S. was a show that existed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dewgy posted:

House was inherited.

And also in pretty bad disrepair, and it's mentioned a few times that the reason they moved there (it's in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in rural Oregon) is because the parents are basically broke.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
honestly, living in Oregon, the only weird thing about it is she almost certainly flew into PDX, and you're not catching a shuttle into "rural" Oregon from there, much less in only like an hour and at midnight.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I played Gone Home, and it is probably one of the most pretentious games I've ever played. Walking around was oh so slow, the narration was just constant droning in the same monotone voice, the one "puzzle" i can think of was just ridiculously trivial (Oh look a safe, in the father's basement. i guessed that the combo on it is 1963 because that's the year JFK got assassinated. it was correct.)

The worst offense of the game was that there were these long, meaningless notes written in the smallest chicken scratch everywhere. The best part of the game was when my mother said "This isn't a game" while I was playing it. She plays Farmville.

The game was just such a boring, prolonged drone of worthless information about the character's sister that doesn't add to her in a meaningful way, nothing about the father was interesting in any way, it was all just a gray mess of boring and twee garbage. If I were to recommend a game LIKE gone home, I would suggest the Stanely Parable. It too, is a game where the gameplay is walking around and inspecting things, but where Gone Home has the narration as objects whose purpose is to say "This character has problems", the Stanely Parable uses narration as the driving mechanic of the game, with it changing depending how badly you intentionally gently caress things up, but Gone Home can't do that. Gone Home just has the narration in places, it doesn't matter if you find it or not, and hell, it doesn't matter so much that there were times when I just kept cancelling one audio log to play another, just by walking over and inspecting the triggers for that audio log. Does the game just expect me to pick up an audio log, and stand still while listening to the minutes of meaningless droning?

Gone Home is a game that I am glad I did not pay money to play, because the story is diarryhea, and I'm very glad that the other game for PS Plus this month was a basketball game with the most ridiculous story to be told.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I liked Gone Home but some of the handwriting bothered me too. Luckily there's an option to overlay it with typed text, and then reading it is no problem.

• Locked thread