Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ShadowMoo posted:

You have way too much money if you have both a vive and a rift. Give me some.

Also aren't there mods that allow you to play vive only games on a rift and vice versa?

I'm a mix of stupid + got lucky with the Oculus Kickstarter = Free CV1 so I only had to pay for the Vive.

I love both headsets but I do wish Oculus would just give up on the Oculus Store and just keep Oculus Home. Let it be similar to what Vive Dashboard is in detecting games that works with it and just sell all the "Exclusives" on Steam or something.

Whatever Bargfink has covered that enough and I see he is probated again on his usual antics lol.

One thing both headsets need (and I mentioned this to the HTC rep as well) are accessories. Sounds like HTC might be game for replacement Straps as well as face pads in the not too distant future which is good and Oculus really could use the same. Miss my AboutFace pads immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
bup bup bup bup... slow down a sec

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also that "V" overlay Alpha can't get here soon enough. I got a reply from their Twitter that sounds like they might not have it in the Alpha right away as it is a custom graphics engine, but they are working on it and obviously it is one of the main games that need it. Once I can watch Netflix while flying in Elite, I'll probably not play anything else for a good while.

Please, tell me more.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Picture in Picture VR sounds awesome. Might make for a bit of a headache though.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

BossTweed posted:

I used support rods that extend from the floor to the ceiling since they don't have a very big footprint and they fit the ceiling height needed.

http://i.imgur.com/l18tWZ5.jpg

The poles are from harbor freight, so they are about as cheap as they can be without doing something DIY. It was nice I was able to get them at the store locally, too. They aren't particularly high quality, but they are plenty stable for something as small as the lighthouse. If you want something more expensive or for ceilings taller than 114 inches, search for "support rod" or "contractor poles" or similar on Amazon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-1-support-cargo-bar-66172.html

These are the clamps, you can rotate them around the pole, and the part that has the screw mount can rotate up and down.
http://amzn.com/B00PICAE4C

Thanks for the idea!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Miss my AboutFace pads immensely.

I cut some face pads out of knock-off ShamWow fabric (felt) and they work phenomenally well. They literally never have felt wet to me after hours of play, and the foam remains bone dry.

No stitching required, you can literally draw a template using the foam and add some tabs for tying it to the foam, then cut it out. If you're crafty, you might make it oversized and stitch the corners up to make it cover the edges of the foam, too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Despite all the warnings against buying in to first gen VR I'm still thinking about getting either machine, money permitting. Again mostly for HotDS, that game is so good you guys

Vive is in cahoots with Steam as far as content goes, and Oculus has their own platform (the same as on the gear VR), right?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just get a Vive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Either headset works with SteamVR. Only the Rift works with Oculus Home (officially) but you can use Revive to play things made with the Oculus SDK (either on the Oculus store or on Steam).

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Despite all the warnings against buying in to first gen VR I'm still thinking about getting either machine, money permitting. Again mostly for HotDS, that game is so good you guys

Vive is in cahoots with Steam as far as content goes, and Oculus has their own platform (the same as on the gear VR), right?

Yeah. The difference is that the Rift can play games on both Steam and their own platform (Oculus Home), while the Vive can not officially play the Oculus exclusives. There is a hack called ReVive that works for letting the Vive play Oculus games, but it's not officially supported and could get broken at any time, which it already was once for a day. Right now the Vive has motion controllers, with the Rift releasing theirs the second half of this year.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Have there been any statements (or hell even semi-reliable guesses) about the cost of the Rift's motion controllers?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Have there been any statements (or hell even semi-reliable guesses) about the cost of the Rift's motion controllers?

Nothing yet. There is a chance they might make some announcements at E3 this coming week, but that's all speculation. Everyone is sorta assuming they are gonna be ~$200 or so, making the prices of the headsets roughly equivalent.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Any idea why all my SteamVR games would just...not launch when I hit "Play in VR"? I've completley uninstalled and reinstalled my Rift and SteamVR. Gonna try one of the offending games next.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ciaphas posted:

No, and even if they're had been it wouldn't be worth believing. We won't know how much they cost until they are available for sale is my bet

Deviant posted:

Any idea why all my SteamVR games would just...not launch when I hit "Play in VR"? I've completley uninstalled and reinstalled my Rift and SteamVR. Gonna try one of the offending games next.

I've been getting this for a few games for the Vive recently and I don't understand what's going on at all.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Deviant posted:

Just to check the obvious, you have allowed the "allow external apps" in the Oculus app?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do we at least know if they're gonna come with the extra cameras or sensors or whatever necessary for room-scale? (Or is the Rift already technically capable of that and I've completely misread everything?)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Do we at least know if they're gonna come with the extra cameras or sensors or whatever necessary for room-scale? (Or is the Rift already technically capable of that and I've completely misread everything?)

Yeah, Touch comes with another camera/sensor. Right now with one sensor, the Rift headset itself is capable of roomscale. The official Oculus stance regarding Touch at this moment is to place them both cameras in front of you, but as shown by many devs already working with Touch, it works fine caddy corner setup like the Vive, and provides a rather similar experience. The Vive would be better for extremely large spaces, but for most people the experiences look to be pretty much the same. I personally would recommend, if you aren't dying for VR right this instant, to wait until Touch is released and more people have hands-on experience with it. The games that are out now aren't going anywhere, and I think you would be able to make a better informed decision.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

You're absolutely right, of course. Just hard to resist champing at the bit for a sample of the coolest consumer-grade technology ever since the proliferation of broadband always-on internet access, and I'm vulnerable to wanting new toys anyway :v:

Side note, but part of it is kind of a vision thing. I've mentioned in VR threads before that I'm stereoblind due to unsuccessfully-treated lazy eye resulting in amblyopia. The strange thing I've observed in using my Gear VR is that I perceive depth and, well, distance far better in VR land than I do in real life. It's fascinating and, well, sort of addictive to be able to see what I've missed all my 30+ years.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

You're absolutely right, of course. Just hard to resist champing at the bit for a sample of the coolest consumer-grade technology ever since the proliferation of broadband always-on internet access :v:

Side note, but part of it is kind of a vision thing. I've mentioned in VR threads before that I'm stereoblind due to unsuccessfully-treated lazy eye resulting in amblyopia. The strange thing I've observed in using my Gear VR is that I perceive depth and, well, distance far better in VR land than I do in real life. It's fascinating and, well, sort of addictive to be able to see what I've missed all my 30+ years.

Wow, that is amazing. I remember seeing a company that was working with using VR headsets to improve amblyopia but that was awhile ago and haven't heard anything since. If you are really impatient and want to get a headset right now the Vive will offer a more complete experience since it comes with the motion controllers out of the box, it's also shipping out with 2-3 days too, so you won't have to wait.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

One of my quiet dreams was that wearing a VR headset for a while would cure my stereoblindness like that one guy who went to see some Disney movie in 3D, stepped outside and saw the depth of trees for the first time. Didn't pan out of course, but seeing more of that dimension in VR land is still pretty fantastic--if a bit scary, for things like Elite: Dangerous where you always come out of warp barrelling at absurd speed towards a loving star or, worse, a black hole :gonk:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

One of my quiet dreams was that wearing a VR headset for a while would cure my stereoblindness like that one guy who went to see some Disney movie in 3D, stepped outside and saw the depth of trees for the first time. Didn't pan out of course, but seeing more of that dimension in VR land is still pretty fantastic--if a bit scary, for things like Elite: Dangerous where you always come out of warp barrelling at absurd speed towards a loving star :gonk:

That is awesome, and yeah the first time you drop out of warp in front of a massive star is terrifying lol.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

Just to check the obvious, you have allowed the "allow external apps" in the Oculus app?

Yes. SteamVR itself works, I can see my environment and the SteamVR HMD menu and stuff. The games just...don't launch.

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016

Poetic Justice posted:

Wow, that is amazing. I remember seeing a company that was working with using VR headsets to improve amblyopia but that was awhile ago and haven't heard anything since. If you are really impatient and want to get a headset right now the Vive will offer a more complete experience since it comes with the motion controllers out of the box, it's also shipping out with 2-3 days too, so you won't have to wait.

Here's the amblyopia thing: https://www.diplopiagame.com/

quote:

...we are changing the name of our company to Vivid Vision, and the name of the software to Vivid Vision for Amblyopia.

They changed their name and now it appears it's no longer a game but a proprietary kit that only North American eye clinics can even acquire: http://www.seevividly.com/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Syves posted:

bup bup bup bup... slow down a sec

Please, tell me more.

V Signup for the Alpha/Beta

Their Twitter is a little stale, but they are hard at work on their new tech. Basicly it allows you to multitask with an overlay drawn inside your VR environment from what I can tell. Similar to some stuff that the Leap Motion guys were working on for their use cases.

What It means is being able to throw up a VLC/Browser/Explorer window anywhere in your VR environment so you can watch Netflix/Video/Browse the web (not sure how) inside your Cockpit of Elite, or to the side of your view in Minecraft, etc. This, will be amazing.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Deviant posted:

Yes. SteamVR itself works, I can see my environment and the SteamVR HMD menu and stuff. The games just...don't launch.

If you're using a Rift, are you trying to launch Vive only games? While the Rift can use SteamVR, if a Game is specifically setup to use the Vive's Roomscale design, it might not allow you to play it with the Rift because there is no way to control the game currently with it.

Once Touch arrives, it shouldn't take too much for devs to patch in support for it, or heck even SteamVR could possibly just natively support it rather quick as it has a similar amount of buttons and a analog stick (to cover the touchpad).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sliderule posted:

I cut some face pads out of knock-off ShamWow fabric (felt) and they work phenomenally well. They literally never have felt wet to me after hours of play, and the foam remains bone dry.

No stitching required, you can literally draw a template using the foam and add some tabs for tying it to the foam, then cut it out. If you're crafty, you might make it oversized and stitch the corners up to make it cover the edges of the foam, too.

I have seen this a while back, I may have to do this. drat also my Aunt was just here that likes to sew stuff that would have been perfect for making me a few custom super soft fabric facepads. Might still see if she could hook me up lol.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

If you're using a Rift, are you trying to launch Vive only games? While the Rift can use SteamVR, if a Game is specifically setup to use the Vive's Roomscale design, it might not allow you to play it with the Rift because there is no way to control the game currently with it.

Once Touch arrives, it shouldn't take too much for devs to patch in support for it, or heck even SteamVR could possibly just natively support it rather quick as it has a similar amount of buttons and a analog stick (to cover the touchpad).

No, this is stuff that worked before, like Keep Talking and Elite. I don't know what I changed, but it seems to work now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Deviant posted:

No, this is stuff that worked before, like Keep Talking and Elite. I don't know what I changed, but it seems to work now.

Did you reboot?

A lot of SteamVR quirks seems to take a reboot to clear up for one reason or another.

And I still cannot reliably play, quit, and play audioshield again. It is a one time thing until I reboot even if I kill the process as it always seems to fail to quit normally. :negative:

Also if you have an Oculus, don't play Elite in SteamVR. Launch the game from the launcher without SteamVR for the OculusRuntime which is still much better performance than SteamVR for Elite.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Vive's lighthouses come with wallmounts or anything, or am I gonna have to velcro them up in a corner? Or can I leave them on the floor?

Thinking about how I'd reorganize my living room (that's where my PC and desk are) if I did get a Vive. Not one hundred percent sure I've got good places for everything... might take a picture later.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

The Vive's lighthouses come with wallmounts or anything, or am I gonna have to velcro them up in a corner? Or can I leave them on the floor?

Thinking about how I'd reorganize my living room (that's where my PC and desk are) if I did get a Vive. Not one hundred percent sure I've got good places for everything... might take a picture later.

One set of these stands and 2 of these and you're set. (Watch out though the Mini Ball's threads are poo poo and can strip out really easy so make sure you don't try to adjust them without loosening them first. Once they are set though they work fine and if the threads give, just put a ziptie in there or some wire for the remaining threads to have something to bite onto.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The vive comes with two wall mounts and some drywall screws.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Dirt Rally is on sale this weekend. Any word on when it's getting Rift support? Googling is inconclusive.
Edit: Possibly next patch. It was apparently supposed to be in the last patch but got held back.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 10, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought some suction cup camera/flash mounts to stick them on a shelf and electrical panel (didn't work on my paint, though if I owned the place I might paint a small section as glossy and try to mount there). So far so good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm at work else I'd search for myself. Anyone got a good demo video of how the roomscale chaperone is set up for me to look at later? Still thinking about how I'd reorganize my room and there's just no way I can get everything out of the way, so I'm kind of hoping chaperone can just allow for it somehow.

(e) I guess basically what I'm asking is if it can allow for static obstructions in the center of a room (e.g. part of a couch) or if it has to have an empty rectangular area to work.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 11, 2016

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
You trace around your room and chaperone finds the biggest contiguous rectangle. That becomes your playspace.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You need an empty rectangle but you can still draw more outside of that when measuring out your space and use that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Interesting. And just making sure before I probably pull the trigger tonight, it won't refuse to run just because my processor is slightly undergunned, will it? (i5 4570 vs their recommended 4590, but a 980ti for video)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Your processor is fine.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I've been developing demos for a company that can detect your facial expressions when wearing a HMD. The difference it makes to any kind of avatar is pretty immense.

How do they pull that off? Maybe you can't give details but for the HMDs currently on the market you'd have put tiny cameras or something in the faceplate to pick up the bits of face that are totally obscured, right? Unless you could sort of extrapolate from the expression on the uncovered portion of the face

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I just thought of something. I can't code to save my life, but can someone here just program a room with 50 shelves worth of LEGOs and a table, then make it work with touch controls? Seems like pretty much every LEGO in existence has a CAD drawing on the internet to import.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I'm technically stereo blind (although I can temporarily focus with an effort to get stereo vision) and the Rift/Vive are basically like magic for me. Not only do I have zero problems focusing and getting stereo 3d in the headset, for a while after using them my eyes will continue to naturally focus without effort and I get depth perception again.

I'm a bit of a weird mutant edge case, though, but it's encouraging to hear not only that other people are also finding that 3D has therapeutic effects but that it's significant enough that its uses in treatment are being actively pursued.