Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

ShadowMoo posted:

Do people normally play with that many buttons? That seems like overkill.

Most people don't know about the space bar macros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

Always a hoot going through the BBB complaints. Enjoy this one from 27 November:

quote:

Complaint:

Banned from Community Feedback and Support Services without access to justification, then publicly shamed by employee On 10/12/2015, I was banned from accessing the Perfect World forums after five years actively engaged with the Star Trek Online community. I supplied numerous examples of feedback over the years which were frequently implemented into game features and bug fixes. I was so productive as as a community member that I had been selected to participate in conference calls with developers and senior management at Cryptic Studios. I spent literally thousands of dollars in support of the game.

Over the past two years, I have been increasingly concerned over unchecked player harassment, involving cyberbullying, release of private player information, account hacking, harassment of disabled players, and hate speech by a group of players in the game and on community sites related to the game. This cyber-bullying organization included at least one developer at PWE subsidiary Cryptic Studios and other developers have worn clothing advertising the cyber-bullying organization in photos used to promote Cryptic products. I have repeatedly expressed a desire to multiple Cryptic employees both through official channels and unofficial channels for their support of the cyber-bullying organization to stop. This cyber-bullying organization has targeted multiple prominent podcasters and active supporters and promoters of Cryptic products and has publicly claimed to engage in account hacking, retracting the claim whenever posed with threat of action.

This cyber-bullying organization's leadership was granted an in-person visit of Cryptic Studios on 8/15/2015. Though the visit was sealed by NDA upon entering the building at both Cryptic and PWE, the members who visited have apparently broken their NDA and openly described stories of preferential treatment they received when visiting PWE and Cryptic Studios offices publicly on the internet. On 10/12/2015, I commented on and challenged members of the cyber-bullying organization for deliberately causing discord and upsetting players on the official forums. Again, this came after years of inaction on the part of developers and with full awareness that one of the developers had been an active member of the cyber-bullying organization. Additionally, I wrote a lengthy complaint to PWE community manager ********, aka **************.

On 10/12/2015, I was banned from the Star Trek Online forums, which I view as an essential community feedback and discussion tool as a highly invested player. I am unable to see the reasons given for the ban or to message ******** for clarification. On 10/13/2015, on her public, official Twitter account, ******** made light of the cyber-bullying organization's reputation. She apparently claimed to have banned 10 critics of the organization while members of the cyber-bullying organization publicly claimed to have only received warnings. Furthermore, she took an out of context excerpt that I believe came from my *private* correspondence with her and posted it to Twitter (fortunately without my name attached) where she encouraged users to mock and ridicule it.

Siding with an organized group of cyber-bullies (whose reputation several developers have acknowledged -- and who admit they avoid spending money on the game) while suspending forum participation from high acquisition cost, generous spenders who are deeply invested in both the product and the community surrounding it makes very, very poor business sense. Publicly ridiculing your customers and causing them to lose face after suspending posting privileges is the height of unprofessionalism. Ideally, Cryptic and PWE should take a harsh, zero tolerance approach to developer fraternization with organized cyber-bullying and discriminatory groups like Starfleet Dental and should strive to provide a safe space for all customers. At the very least, private correspondences should not be aired for public ridicule and reasoning behind suspensions from services should be made accessible and appeal-able.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Desired Settlement:

Restoration of access to full account services (including forum posting privileges), explanation supplied for suspension, an apology, deletion of company tweets which publicly shamed my private correspondence and which made light of the cyber-bullying organization, full investigation into community manager and developer involvement with community cyber-bullying organizations such as "Starfleet Dental" which employ hate speech and target deeply invested customers, and an overall expressed commitment to sound business practices, which includes appropriate handling of private correspondence, avoidance of employee affiliations to groups which discriminate on the basis of ethnicity or ability, taking player harassment complaints seriously, and generally showing the good business sense to support and take seriously the complaints of high volume customers when they face harassment from non-spending cyber-bullying organizations.

As it stands, it appears I had my posting access restricted in SOME part because of my PRIVATE complaint about cyber-bullying and, in fact, Morrigan cited that private correspondence as justifying her decision to ban me PUBLICLY, ON TWITTER. This whole affair is the worst customer service and public relations FIASCO I have ever encountered from an entertainment company or, really, in general. It's bad community management, bad customer service, and fundamentally bad business to supply preferential treatment to cyber-bullies over generous spending, paying customers who have a strong desire to engage proactively in a product community. Again, I have never seen such a rude, inept, and self-destructive approach to customer service in my life and this makes my own expressed desire for restitution seem inadequate.

If my conditions are met including investigation into private correspondence shaming on social media as well as PWE/Cryptic employee participation and encouragement of cyber-bullying organizations like "Starfleet Dental" -- with PWE expressing a willingness to consider disciplinary action -- and IF my posting access is reinstated, I am willing to drop further discussion of the topic and resume my normal spending habits as a customer once the bad taste of this whole ordeal is behind me.

Business Response: Initial Business Response /* (1000, 5, 2015/10/22) */

Hello, Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your issue. Please understand that decisions regarding the forums, including infractions, privilege restrictions, and bans, are under the purview of the Community team, not Customer Support. We have asked the Community Manager for Star Trek Online to review the ban and we have been informed that due to a statement regarding modifying the game using third-party software the ban will remain. Please understand that this ban only applies to the forums and you should still be able to log in and play the game. Additionally, keep in mind that modding the game using third-party software is against our Terms of Service (http://www.arcgames.com/en/about/terms). We take all reported violations seriously. This includes player harassment and potential employee misconduct, and we will investigate what you have reported to the best of our ability. Please note that due to privacy concerns we cannot discuss what our investigation entails or any action that may be taken. If you witness violations to our Terms of Service while playing the game we encourage you to submit a ticket. Please include as much information as possible when making the report and we will investigate as thoroughly as possible. Again, we won't be able to discuss the investigation or any resulting actions. Thank you for your understanding and for playing STO! Perfect World Support

Consumer Rebuttal /* (3000, 7, 2015/10/28) */ (The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)

This is an extremely legalistic interpretation of policy and I believe that if you look beyond stated policy, you will find that I made a harmless comment which in no way directly referred to any third policy software. The problem you have in the community and in moderation comes with abusive behavior which conforms (narrowly) to the letter of the law and which involves the selective enforcement of rules to promote ulterior agendas. Legalism is not what I look for when dealing with a business and it does not change that the moderator in question posted private correspondence from a customer on her Twitter account as a point of shaming them. What is being offered here is a justification for a ruling which has nothing to do with the reason being supplied. The community moderator publicly specified on Twitter that the private communication -- in which I expressed frustration with tolerance for abuse in the user community -- as being the reason she would not reconsider my ban.

The alleged TOS violation and severity of its enforcement are being used against me due to umbrage the moderator took at a private complaint and request for assistance. My trust has been violated by this employee's handling of the entire affair. It should not be difficult now that the name of my account has been looked up to confirm that I have spent a not inconsiderable sum on this company's products, probably more than the vast majority of their customers and if that comes with a certain sense of entitlement, I apologize but think that sense of entitlement is warranted; I am a major paying customer being subjected to a free product level of service and, frankly, the money I spent was a huge chunk of my personal income, so I am especially invested in seeing this matter resolved diplomatically so that I can view that money spent as something other than a colossal waste. If I can't get an independent review on this matter, I can't in good faith look past the breach of customer trust that has occurred. This product is a community-based social product. Lack of forum access represents a second class level of service and inability to participate fully in the products and services this company offers, including promotions and contests. Even a casual review shows disproportionate and highly biased enforcement of policies with no chance for independent review, which is troublesome given the favoritism shown towards known abusers.

As long as my forum account remains suspended and this community representative remains assigned to the game, this matter has NOT been resolved to my satisfaction. As a middle ground from my previous request, I would be satisfied if one of the following two conditions are met:

1) The community representative in question is examined for the preferential treatment she shows towards some abusive customers in social media. A reprimand is issued and the community representative is reassigned away from this particular community, which she has become ingrained in the personal politics of and which, I reiterate, she displayed unprofessional attitudes toward by airing private customer correspondences as a point of ridicule. (I recognize this is unlikely.)

AND/OR

2) My posting access is restored with an appropriate warning. I agree to review the TOS and refrain from engaging in controversial and possible EULA violating discussions. I receive assurances that private correspondences will not be made public and I receive contact information for an alternative company contact to address future concerns to.

Fulfilling either or both of these requests represents a considerable step down from the proposed remedies in my initial complaint and I offer these two proposals in the spirit of cooperation and as someone who has been an exceptionally loyal and engaged customer in the past. The second option is more likely although I could tolerate the decision to revoke my forum access standing if the first option is exercised, the breach in customer trust is addressed, and I had a new community representative who was not engaged in the community's politics to seek a review with. I realize I am being a bit verbose and forceful with my complaint but I remain shocked and frustrated with what I see as a moral breech of customer service, shoddy decision making, and legalism being used to support agendas which show favoritism towards disruptive customers over highly engaged, paying customers. I am sorry to say that remain disappointed and do not find the response satisfactory given the level of unprofessional behavior exhibited. I can't justify financially supporting a company or product that can't manage one of the two remedies I have outlined and feel that, based on advice I have received, what I propose is not only more than fair but probably a bit kind, however forcefully worded my complaint may seem.

Final Business Response /* (4000, 9, 2015/11/11) */

Hello, Thank you for your follow-up message. We understand that you may disagree with the forum ban and this issue was escalated to a manager on the Community team for a final review. It was their determination that the forum ban will remain on the account and we again apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. This ban only applies to the forums and should not affect your ability to log into the game. We will investigate the employee misconduct that you reported, however, we cannot discuss the investigation or its outcome due to privacy concerns. Thank you for your understanding in this matter. Perfect World Support

LordCo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 10, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Normally I'd go with tl;dr but that one is actually worth it.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I am guessing this 'cyber-bullying organization' refers to goons?

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Wow, I sometimes forget how broken these people are.

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

ShadowMoo posted:

I am guessing this 'cyber-bullying organization' refers to goons?

From the complaint portion:

xean posted:

...PWE should take a harsh, zero tolerance approach to developer fraternization with organized cyber-bullying and discriminatory groups like Starfleet Dental and should strive to provide a safe space for all customers.

and from the desired resolution portion:

xean posted:

...full investigation into community manager and developer involvement with community cyber-bullying organizations such as "Starfleet Dental" which employ hate speech and target deeply invested customers.

Named in a BBB complaint. Is this a milestone of some kind?

LordCo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 10, 2016

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Back when I was playing MUDs there would be people who would spend tons of money on lines of text. Think about that.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

ShadowMoo posted:

Back when I was playing MUDs there would be people who would spend tons of money on lines of text. Think about that.

They still do.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Hey guys are we really discriminatory? I feel like we treat all equally horribly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

We treat everyone with the respect they deserve.

Even the bijorans.

Especially the bijorans.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I love how he called himself a 'deeply invested player'. Like somehow spending a mortgage on an online game makes your voice more valuable.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

LordCo posted:

Always a hoot going through the BBB complaints. Enjoy this one by Xean from 27 November:
Was it Xean?

Any ideas of where the "statement regarding modifying the game using third-party software" comes from? I can only recall stoleviathan bragging about that, but I may have missed it.

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

fakemirage posted:

Was it Xean?

Any ideas of where the "statement regarding modifying the game using third-party software" comes from? I can only recall stoleviathan bragging about that, but I may have missed it.

I am making a guess that it's Xean, but I based it on the dates he's given for his forum ban, the Trendy twitter episode and most of all, the insufferable, pretentious writing style filled with statements that highlight his self-importance.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

LordCo posted:

I am making a guess that it's Xean, but I based it on the dates he's given for his forum ban, the Trendy twitter episode and most of all, the insufferable, pretentious writing style filled with statements that highlight his self-importance.
Xean was banned the month before and stoleviathan made his post about the mods on the date mentioned in the complaint.

Just from the writing style I would assume Xean wrote it, but maybe that's just how these types of deranged pubbies write.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

ShadowMoo posted:

I love how he called himself a 'deeply invested player'. Like somehow spending a mortgage on an online game makes your voice more valuable.

It does in Star Citizen.

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

fakemirage posted:

Xean was banned the month before and stoleviathan made his post about the mods on the date mentioned in the complaint.

Just from the writing style I would assume Xean wrote it, but maybe that's just how these types of deranged pubbies write.

Awww crap. You're right... it probably is stoleviathan based on the date but drat... it really does read like every one of Xean's rants.

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
stoleviathan is just as awful with the grandiose statements and overblown delusions of grandeur as Xean is. Only the reasoning was different.

While Xean tried to convince himself and others that he was just as important to the game as a GM or community moderator, stoleviathan would also poo poo up threads frequently trying to convince others that the way he played the game - such as being as single player as possible - was the only legit way to play.

Both were frequent posters who tried to make threads all about them, that their posts were of such importance to the sto community, they likely already thought people were hanging onto their every word like it was gospel.

It reads like one of Xean's posts because they were similar enough up to a point; only the frequency of Xean's meltdowns make him more memorable, while nothing of what stoleviathan might have tried to achieve in game really stands out and as a result, his ramblings ended up not as scrutinised. That complaint is probably one of the very few things that people might've remembered about him but even then he's mistaken for another autist.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I remember way back in the day when that guy would have at least three threads on page 1 at all times, not because people would post in them so much but because he made a new one for what had to be every passing thought he had even remotely related to Star Trek. I still can't believe he wasn't banned back then.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

fakemirage posted:

Was it Xean?

I was curious about that when it was mentioned before. I think he modified the game to remove the disco balls model so they didn't show up. Such a butt hurt pubbie.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/06/10/star-trek-online-executive-producer-talks-tos-expansion-move-to-consoles-and-more/

Uh

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
How would they even get the clusterfuck that is the control scheme down to a controller without cutting out tons of abilities?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

ShadowMoo posted:

How would they even get the clusterfuck that is the control scheme down to a controller without cutting out tons of abilities?

By making spacebar canon, apparently.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sadly

quote:

TM: Can someone with a PC play on the same server as someone playing on console?

SR: No, it’s separated, so PC, Xbox, and PS4 will all be on their own separate servers.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I wonder if they can make the chat xserver like they did neverwinter->STO.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Those servers will probably go down pretty quick lol

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, console specific servers? I thought it was a ghost town now, loving lol at how empty those'll be.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Any idea how bad the Neverwinter Xbone servers are?

Edit: And apparently there is a word filter that converts x-bone to Xbox One.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That's why it's best to refer to it as Microsoft's Flaccid Boner.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Berke Negri posted:

By making spacebar canon, apparently.

pmuch http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10010203-star-trek-online%3A-console-ui It would be nice if some of these things came back to pc.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
So basically they made the console combat easier than on PC. Can't imagine this would be fun when it comes to stuff that actually requires use of the UI. I wonder if they are adding in some kind of voice chat, or if they expect everyone to have one of those attachable mini-keyboards for communication.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 11, 2016

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

ShadowMoo posted:

Any idea how bad the Neverwinter Xbone servers are?

Edit: And apparently there is a word filter that converts x-bone to Xbox One.

i think i remember reading something saying neverwinter actually does pretty well on console.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Trebuchet King posted:

i think i remember reading something saying neverwinter actually does pretty well on console.

Ofc you can't use foundry from what I've read, they will only import foundry stuff from PC if at all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trebuchet King posted:

I bet it does, because let's list all the other MMOs available on console:

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

DancingShade posted:

I bet it does, because let's list all the other MMOs available on console:

The APB beta just started on xbone even if it is janky as gently caress and only gets like 10fps.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

APB is also owned by PWE now, so it's... what, them and squeenix as the only companies that give a gently caress about MMO console ports?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Asimo posted:

APB is also owned by PWE now, so it's... what, them and squeenix as the only companies that give a gently caress about MMO console ports?

The main problems with the console market is the demographics. What kinds of games do console gamers usually play? Also only recently have consoles gotten to a level that even comes close to matching a PC. And you have to pick your pony when it comes to releasing on consoles or spend the extra cost to fork the code for PS and Xbox.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
APB, if it ran properly, would theoretically suit consoles well because it would cut out all the aimbotting & wallhacks rampant on PC.

It wouldn't change the elephant in the room sized fact that GTA Online stole pretty much every player who was interested in that style of gameplay. Now that game has its own fundamental issues too but still.

So in the otherwise significant vacuum Neverwinter and (soon) STO will have basically a captive market.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Neverwinter seems way more suited for console stuff than STO, starting with how it's intentionally built so you've only got like 10 active abilities at a time. It's a fundamentally different control paradigm, and canonizing spacebar macros doesn't nearly make up for the difference.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I would like to see autocast become standard in the PC client but PWE can keep the unified shield facings thing just on consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

LordCo posted:

Awww crap. You're right... it probably is stoleviathan based on the date but drat... it really does read like every one of Xean's rants.

Can confirm the BBB post is Stoleviathan, as I posted a link to the post in the DOFFJOBS channel and Sto rushed in to defend himself.

• Locked thread