Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Triglav posted:

Actually I think you'll find that regulations, rule, and law are the result of demand forces within a free market.

The terms are getting muddled here. Is a free market just the state of nature which spawns institutions that regulate, pass laws, etc. or is a free market a market that exists once government and business have decided not to interfere with supply and demand through monopolies or price-fixing, with the government creating regulation to prevent monopolies and businesses pressuring governments not to interfere with supply/demand. Pretty sure by all common definitions it's the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Ccs posted:

The terms are getting muddled here. Is a free market just the state of nature which spawns institutions that regulate, pass laws, etc. or is a free market a market that exists once government and business have decided not to interfere with supply and demand through monopolies or price-fixing, with the government creating regulation to prevent monopolies and businesses pressuring governments not to interfere with supply/demand. Pretty sure by all common definitions it's the latter.

I was conflating democracy with equilibrium, laws with rigidity, constituent desires with demand, activists with latent demand, etc, viewing voters as having bounded rationality and politicians as satisficers of their aggregate demand.

I suppose the ultimate conflation is that of all things as fitness landscapes, but maybe that's too reductive.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Really, is Megan McArdle the best you can do?

Puuhhhh-lease.

The science is very clear. VERY. clear.

Sorry it wasn't clear enough for noted Libertarian Megan McArdle .

Her entire article reads like a giant shifting goal post.
For bonus laughs, here's her article on Competitive Enterprise Institute for being subpoenaed for misleading people on climateology:
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-04-08/subpoenaed-into-silence-on-global-warming

:qq:

Megan is very wishy washy. She jumps between saying she supports efforts on Climate Change, to denouncing investigations into groups with known agenda's against climatology groups.

Like a true Libertarian.

"The science isn't wrong, but it's totally wrong. Why are you guys raising the alarm and calling out think tanks with ties to Petroleum Companies? C'mon guys, don't be dicks. Why can't the free market and climate work together?"

Good break down. There is a decent cadre of people on twitter (Adam Johnson comes to mind) who call out people in the media for doing stupid poo poo like this regarding (usually) politically oriented topics. Need more of the same on climate and other scientific areas.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kudaros posted:

Good break down. There is a decent cadre of people on twitter (Adam Johnson comes to mind) who call out people in the media for doing stupid poo poo like this regarding (usually) politically oriented topics. Need more of the same on climate and other scientific areas.

The problem is Megan is an economics person. So she naturally assumes since economic models are often extremely flawed, and therefore climate models must be equally so.

She forgets that economic models are difficult to gather evidence for, whereas climate models get fresh evidence all the time.

And the best part is her flip-flopping between 'Climate change is a problem' and 'Woah now, we cannot risk harming the free market with climate change prevention'

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kudaros posted:

I'm not going to give all the details but it was something along the lines of "you are trying to destroy the industry which powers this nation, liberals liek (this typo was there) you must be silenced, you will be stopped, i will seek you out (exact phrasing)"

Years later I'm still waiting on some obese moron on a rascal with a Gadsen flag to show up and try to back over me. *beep, beep, beep* "I'll kill you!!!"

I didn't (and still don't) think it's worth taking seriously. The particular work was on making the transparent electrode element of a solar cell with materials that aren't FTO or ITO (Fluorine or Indium Tin Oxide). It was a super minor contribution, in a mediocre journal, pushed by a mediocre lab to mediocre university PR office into a mediocre local media outlet. Some piece of poo poo undergrad (at the time) is the nation's number one energy job threat. Clearly.

I want my death threats to be poetic and written well. Those will go on my CV.

In all seriousness I gotta stop generalizing people like that. This person was probably impacted by the coal mines drying up or something.

Also I'm not a liberal, I'm a leftist :smuggo:

Know you this, o foul pustulece, that mortal man was ne’er meant to harness the light!
That the one true God has given us his rainbow-tinged coal that we might harness the electron.
That he filled the very Earth with oil as black as midnight to move our chariots.
That it is His will for we mortals to fill the air with warming carbon!

Know you this, o wretched photon-thief, the price of your arrogance is death!
That your eyes will be plucked from their home.
That your lying tongue will be nailed to the roof of your mouth.
That your hands, so clever in mixing Indium Tin Oxide, will be cast away.
That your feet will be pulped by our hammers.
That blind and mute, able to only crawl like the helpless babe you are, you will be cast into a cesspit.
That I will relieve myself on your writhing form until the mercy of death takes you.

Know you this, you who thinks yourself so clever in your ivory tower, that your death has come!
That your severed head will be left beneath the merciless sun for a year and a day.
That I will fashion a drinking vessel from your bleached skull.
That I will make you virgin daughters drink the finest wine from this chalice on our wedding night.

Such is the fate of all who would seek to improve the efficiency of solar panels!

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is Megan is an economics person. So she naturally assumes since economic models are often extremely flawed, and therefore climate models must be equally so.

She forgets that economic models are difficult to gather evidence for, whereas climate models get fresh evidence all the time.

And the best part is her flip-flopping between 'Climate change is a problem' and 'Woah now, we cannot risk harming the free market with climate change prevention'

Megan McArdle does not have an economics degree. She has a bachelor's in English Literature and an MBA. Which is actually pretty appropriate. Despite what even SA's own MBA megathread would have you believe, MBA's are overpaid spreadsheet jockey's who are taught to believe they are superheroes possessing perfect knowledge of any business situation, able to fly in and fix anything with their genius business plans, while also believing that the plan itself is all that matters and execution is for plebs. I'm going to go ahead and pitch Henry Mintzberg's Managers, Not MBAs, a substantial portion of which you can read for free on Google Books in case you want further details on how awful MBA education generally is.

An MBA functions sort of like an anti-degree. You don't learn management. None of the actual duties and skills of a good manager—coordinating people, managing all the moving parts needed for a successful project or department, handling complete shitstorms with relative grace, etc—are actually taught. Nor, for that matter, are they even good "idea people". Note that the vast majority of successful entrepreneurs don't have MBAs, while you'd be hard-pressed to name a large company in the shitter that wasn't run into the ground in the first place, or made into a much worse disaster than it needed to be, by MBAs. (Carly Fiorina was not uniquely incompetent—she's a product of business school and came out of her graduate program believing exactly the things she was taught.)

Business education, in general, is deeply amoral. I remember the final project for my operations management class, which required us to plot the optimal rate for hiring and firing working workers in a seasonal business. You could keep a steady amount of workers on hand all year round, which meant paying to store your products in the off-seasons and also paying for some combination of full-time employees or part-time employees. Or, you could hire a shitload of workers at the start of busy season, work them to the bone, then fire every drat one of them when it ended. The optimal choice, of course, was somewhere in the middle—there were several costs to track—but at no point was there any discussion that we were talking about people, that we were being taught to gently caress with people’s livelihoods, judging their precise value to the company with an Excel file. This viewpoint permeated every business course I ever took.* (Also, the ever-hostile tone every business textbook I ever read took towards government regulation.)

*The only exception: business psychology, which took the radical approach that employees are human beings, and it'd be handy to actually know the best way to treat them, motivate them, manage conflicts, etc. My professor was a genuinely nice person who made their career studying discrimination in the workplace.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think that's ultimately the biggest problem with American business right now; you have these MBA graduates that only see people as numbers and want to maximize the amount of profit you can get out of that number regardless of the harm it causes. All that matters is this quarter and my bonus right loving now. So many people in management just plain don't understand the value of a motivated employee who will bust their hump 40 hours a week and do whatever it takes to get the job done because they know the company has their back.

Instead they're looking for any excuse to send anybody that's been there longer than a year to the curb because gently caress it we can replace them with somebody cheaper. Then instead of asking their employees what they want, why they hate their jobs, and what they could do to make the workplace suck they just send out memos to the effect of "you should choose to like working here! We're a community! We're a family, take care of your family!" Meanwhile the employees realize that the company treats them like disposable tools to be thrown away.

Yes things like living wages, pensions, and benefits cost money. However, not having those things costs loyalty. What is being taught is "you must make as much profit as possible regardless of who it hurts." Somebody that's been at a company 30 years knows the ins and outs of how it works and has a deep, intimate knowledge of the place. That's incredibly valuable but the business world is openly hostile to letting that happen these days. They want that guy but they won't invest in creating him.

Everything is about short term gains. It doesn't matter that we're wrecking the environment and making everybody hate us, stocks are up this month! gently caress yeah!

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Somebody that's been at a company 30 years knows the ins and outs of how it works and has a deep, intimate knowledge of the place. That's incredibly valuable but the business world is openly hostile to letting that happen these days. They want that guy but they won't invest in creating him.

The entire business model of premier consulting firms like Boston Consulting Group, McKinsey, or Bain (where Mitt Romney worked, natch) is predicated on the idea that such internal knowledge is utterly worthless and only a brave knight armed with case studies and spreadsheets can slay the mighty bad business dragon.

Wikipedia posted:

[McKinsey & Company] developed an "up or out" policy, where consultants who are not promoted are asked to leave. McKinsey was the first management consultancy to hire recent college graduates, rather than experienced managers.

In the 1980s and 1990s, the firm expanded internationally and established new practice areas. It had 88 staff in 1951 and 7,700 by the early 2000s. McKinsey's consulting has helped to establish many of the norms in business and contributed to many of the major successes and failures in business in the modern era.

These companies pay fresh MBAs $125,000 a year, plus $20,0000 signing bonuses, plus $40,000 in potential performance bonuses. None of these hires could find their rear end with two hands. (McKinsey alone made $8.3 billion in revenue in 2014. Capitalism is just and true!)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
http://www.theperennialsf.com/projects-1/

Yeah, it's a hipster restaurant in San Francisco, but the details of their closed-loop system offer some insight into soil carbon sequestration and aquaculture farming. It's worth a look.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quote:

When the smog plaguing Los Angeles reached distressing levels in the early 1950s, the city hired Arie Haagen-Smit to study the cause. Not only was Haagen-Smit a scientist specializing in airborne microscopic chemicals, he was also angry about the state of the city's air. His work swiftly determined that the culprit was oil.

Following a hunch, Haagen-Smit built an unorthodox laboratory that accurately demonstrated how nitrogen oxide and uncombusted hydrocarbons from tailpipes and refineries react in sunlight to produce smog. His findings unnerved oil companies, which feared onerous regulation would follow. So when another scientist, Harold Johnston, challenged Haagen-Smit's findings, the industry's main consulting group hired him.

"They said terrible things about Haagen-Smit...I was given the job of overthrowing his theory entirely," Johnston recalled in an oral history years later. "I rapidly concluded that Haagen-Smit was a genius!"

That wasn't what the oil industry wanted to hear. It shelved Johnston's work and let his contract lapse. Then it conducted its own research to discredit Haagen-Smit's conclusions and manufacture doubt around the link between oil and smog.

But that link soon became irrefutable and smog became a pressing concern for regulators—first for California officials in the 1950s and 60s, then for the federal government. As Washington began to pass modern clean air laws in the 1970s, oil companies lobbied against regulation. They argued that federal standards would be so expensive they would harm the economy.

Industry's response to smog and its fight against clean air standards unfolds like a rough draft of the muscular strategy it deployed 40 years later to deny climate science and the need for an urgent policy response, as documented in ICN's series "Exxon: The Road Not Taken."

"How the oil industry handled smog is a template for how it handled a bunch of issues, the most significant being climate change. There's a DNA here that's palpable," said Carroll Muffett, an attorney who is the president of the watchdog group, Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL). "Through it all, you see the creation of an echo chamber of doubt that takes the small unknowns and uncertainties and magnifies it until all we have is unknowns, when in fact the actual science isn't that way at all."

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/05062016/oil-industry-clean-air-fight-smog-los-angeles-dress-rehearsal-climate-change-denial-exxon

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/can-an-algae-powered-lamp-quench-our-thirst-for-energy-3509307/?no-ist

quote:

But how much of a difference maker can these goopy little marine organisms be? I mean no one’s ever heard of a lamp saving the world. Well, the fact is that microalgae is incredibly efficient at removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, about 150 to 200 times more than trees. Basically, an algae lamp can remove as much CO2 in one year as a tree would in its lifetime.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/09/co2-turned-into-stone-in-iceland-in-climate-change-breakthrough

quote:

The new research pumped CO2 into the volcanic rock under Iceland and sped up a natural process where the basalts react with the gas to form carbonate minerals, which make up limestone. The researchers were amazed by how fast all the gas turned into a solid – just two years, compared to the hundreds or thousands of years that had been predicted.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

We better get to it then because

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/06/07/atmospheric-carbon-dioxide-just-reached-a-huge-record-high/

quote:

The average carbon dioxide concentration in May was 407.7 parts per million, or ppm, which is how molecules in the atmosphere are measured. In May, for every 1 million molecules in the air, 407.7 of them were carbon dioxide. This was a 3.76 ppm increase since May 2015, and the largest year over year increase on record.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2016/0608/Big-melt-Arctic-sea-ice-hits-record-lows

quote:

The average area of sea ice atop the Arctic Ocean last month was just 4.63 million square miles, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. That beats the prior May record (from 2004) by more than 200,000 square miles, and is well over 500,000 square miles below the average for the month.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

It's interesting how when faced with monumental challenges, humanity finds new and exciting ways to tackle them. Almost as if we're good at it.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Arkane posted:

It's interesting how when faced with monumental challenges, humanity finds new and exciting ways to tackle them. Almost as if we're good at it.

We only need a 3.67 million of the as-yet-unbuilt scaled-up plants to cancel out human-caused CO2 emissions!

JohnnySavs fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 10, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arkane posted:

Let's see, you are on Step 8 of the Climate Change denialist ladder.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I just try to share links I come across about new discoveries or potentially good news, that's all. Otherwise this thread reads like a suicide note.

Yeah, we keep running into these really unfortunate reinforcing circumstances on top of everything else. First it was trying to deal with climate change while the economy's intermittently making GBS threads itself, and now we're trying to reduce carbon emissions in an El Nino year.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The paper on the co2 bacteria is finally published and Ars has a write up. Unsurprisingly it isn't as fawning as the embargo-breaking blog post, but still very interesting and cool:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/06/mixed-catalyst-bacterial-system-gives-photosynthesis-a-run-for-its-money/

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

JohnnySavs posted:

We only need a 3.67 million of the as-yet-unbuilt scaled-up plants to cancel out human-caused CO2 emissions!

Without actually running the figures, I wonder if these plants can even break even on CO2, with the 25 tonnes of water per tonne of sequestered CO2 that's needed - seawater has not been tested yet, so whether "free" seawater can be used is unknown - and this is without even mentioning the cost of separating CO2 from air and transporting it, drilling boreholes, and the pumping. Those "3.67 million" hypothetically-scaled-up plants might need to be 100 million in reality (if they even break even on CO2, that is).

Trabisnikof posted:

The paper on the co2 bacteria is finally published and Ars has a write up. Unsurprisingly it isn't as fawning as the embargo-breaking blog post, but still very interesting and cool:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/06/mixed-catalyst-bacterial-system-gives-photosynthesis-a-run-for-its-money/

"More efficient than photosynthesis" is cool, but once you have your carbon in bacterial form, it still has to go somewhere - you can't just dump the bacteria in the sea or down a hole, as they will be consumed by other organisms and turn back into CO2 or methane. If the biomass is or will be converted to biofuel, then CO2 is still not coming out of the air.
[not attacking you here btw]

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JohnnySavs posted:

It doesn't pull CO2 out of the air, it's a way to store carbon captured at point sources (smokestacks, etc).

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Odonata posted:

Oddly aggressive, awesome poem

:wow:

Any good sources on the lifecycle of natural gas plants, including the fracking aspect?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kudaros posted:

:wow:

Any good sources on the lifecycle of natural gas plants, including the fracking aspect?

Do you mean a life cycle analysis of the emissions of a plant or the actual capital lifecycle of the plant (construction, o&m, decommissioning)?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Thanks to that El Niño, northeastern peach farmers lost 90% of their crop :toot:

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
First mammal species wiped out by human-induced climate change

quote:

Human-caused climate change appears to have driven the Great Barrier Reef’s only endemic mammal species into the history books, with the Bramble Cay melomys, a small rodent that lives on a tiny island in the eastern Torres Strait, being completely wiped-out from its only known location.

Making a little progress every day!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Stop being alarmist. Bramble Cay melomys have always solved their problems with innovation and technology.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Speaking of innovation and technology, I'm looking at Ford's annual sustainability report right now, and while there's a lot of emphasis on electrification and application of fuel cells/alternative fuels, we still plan to be selling ICE's into the 2030's. This is as part of a plan to "meet consumer demand while also helping to stabilize atmospheric CO2 at 450 ppm."

Personally I find it deeply ironic that the company probably most responsible for historic emissions now enthusiastically pats itself on the back for being a "green manufacturer", and I wish we'd go all-electric.

Regardless though, I wonder what the reaction to failure will be? If the extreme jump in CO2 this year were to hold steady (and I hope/expect that it won't) 450 ppm arrives summer 2028, how are we going to manage that? What possible proposals can people come up with to keep justifying what we're doing?

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 15, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"gently caress you; got mine" mentality has been working well so far.

Still waiting on Arkane to tell me what great technological innovation is going to save south Pacific islands from going under.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

"gently caress you; got mine" mentality has been working well so far.

Still waiting on Arkane to tell me what great technological innovation is going to save south Pacific islands from going under.

Stage 8 of Climate Change denial: "Well, climate change is happening, but we can fix it, so its not a big deal"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Stage 8 of Climate Change denial: "Well, climate change is happening, but we can fix it, so its not a big deal"

I'd rather people believe that than wail about how it is pointless to even try.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes and why wouldn't it be true?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
I'm not sure we can fix it, but I'm sure if we spend enough trillions of dollars on big-rear end sea walls most major cities can make it out okay.* It'd only be the largest engineering project ever undertaken by mankind!

*Except for Florida, which is totally hosed because it has no real bedrock; the entire state is porous.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

It's just a rat. Nobody cares about rats.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It was just a rat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Freakazoid_ posted:

Time for someone to learn about the foooooood chaaaaaaiiinnn.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Time for someone to learn about the foooooood chaaaaaaiiinnn.

What food chain? The island's underwater - it's just a raft of toxic blue-green algae clinging onto the rotting trunks of sunken palm trees now. Perhaps it's simpler that way.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Trabisnikof posted:

From a lot of people, though, it's "Yeah, the climate is changing, but it is pointless to try anything but a purely-free-market approach."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Freakazoid_ posted:

In my mind, this is less about a rat dying and more about land getting swallowed by the loving ocean.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

From a lot of people, though, it's "Yeah, the climate is changing, but it is pointless to try anything but a purely-free-market approach."

Yeah but that's as much non-sense as saying "we can't address climate change without destroying capitalism."

Not even the people having lunch at the Petroleum Club of Houston think Aramco, Gasprom, or CNPC operates under a purely-free-market system.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you mean a life cycle analysis of the emissions of a plant or the actual capital lifecycle of the plant (construction, o&m, decommissioning)?

Emissions cycle from supply to production point, sorry.

Although I guess the capital lifecycle is kind of interesting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Curvature of Earth posted:

I'm not sure we can fix it, but I'm sure if we spend enough trillions of dollars on big-rear end sea walls most major cities can make it out okay.* It'd only be the largest engineering project ever undertaken by mankind!

FYI this has the added benefit of protecting us from Kaiju attacks.