Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I swear there is a focus about pearl harbour that says leave 6 ships in dock and get a war justification i don't remember and might have made this all up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
How do I load stuff onto my carriers?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Nation posted:

I swear there is a focus about pearl harbour that says leave 6 ships in dock and get a war justification i don't remember and might have made this all up

There's one for the US but not for Japan.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Grevlek posted:

How do I load stuff onto my carriers?

You need to research the ability for that model of plane to be used in carriers.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mister Bates posted:

You have to actually do the Great Purge national focus, but you have to wait until after the 4th International is founded before you start the focus. The 4th International event is bugged - it happens, but generates no notification, so it only happens in the background. It happens in September 1938, I believe. If you start the Great Purge focus after that, and then choose to purge nobody in the resulting event chain, you can go Trotskyist at the end of the chain.

Ahh, that makes sense. But I need to sort this war out first anyhow. Japan is in a solitary war against just the Comintern and I have no time to micro the eastern front and the AI Field Marshal is getting his rear end kicked so I'm trying to just solve Europe as quickly as possible before I bring my might to bear. After a truce I can do the non-purge, then.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Fellblade posted:

You need to research the ability for that model of plane to be used in carriers.

One thing to remember is that carrier model planes can be used just fine in non-carrier circumstances. I think they have a slightly smaller range, but if you find yourself overproducing carrier planes they can fill in gaps on your land airzones

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
My very first game is coming to an end. Playing as the USSR, with historical focuses on, and deliberately doing everything I possibly could to antagonize Germany, it is now 1947 and the Axis has never gotten around to declaring war on me. The war between the Allies and the Axis is mostly stalemated, with both sides having spent the last seven years playing tank cat-and-mouse in North Africa, a well-fortified but stable Free French beachhead around Marseilles for the last year and a half, and the US gradually island-hopping its way over to Japan in the Pacific as the Japanese navy gets ground out of existence. I decided to see what would happen if I didn't take the focus that causes the USSR to declare war on Germany, and it turns out the answer is 'absolutely nothing'. They're just sitting there, leaving half their army covering my border and building land forts, and it looks like the only way war is going to happen is if I start it. I even refused the Molotov-Ribbentropp pact and attempted a communist coup and they're still not bothering me.

Also, I really hope the 'coup attempts spawn with zero troops' bug gets fixed soon, because it means that supplying coups is basically a trap. You waste a big pile of political influence on creating something completely unable to defend itself, and watch it crumple like wet cardboard before it has any chance to build even one division, every single time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is an encirclement anytime you control all the territory surrounding the enemy regardless if you have troops in each province? Also how does it work if it's a pocket encirclement were there are multiple provinces cut off from a town that can resupply them?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

-Troika- posted:

Is this fixable?

The devs (Groogy) claim it isn't true to begin with, but you can't trust those guys when it comes to tanks...

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Popete posted:

Is an encirclement anytime you control all the territory surrounding the enemy regardless if you have troops in each province? Also how does it work if it's a pocket encirclement were there are multiple provinces cut off from a town that can resupply them?

Yeah, you just have to own the territory around the targets. So long as there is no enemy-controlled path leading back to a port or a VP they will be out of supply (and even VPs have limited amounts they can supply). If there are multiple provinces, then enemies can still retreat until there is only one left, at which point defeating them will result in the division being destroyed

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Every time I've done a coup it spawns with a good amount of units. Are you making sure your ideology has a good percent of the political situation in the country you want to coup?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ulmont posted:

What was your general strategy, and in particular:

1) Did you go with those crappy 4xinfantry divisions, or design something more normal (10xinfantry, 20 combat width)?

2) Did you keep manual control of the defense, or how were your fronts laid out?

3) Did you just start building military factories with your civilian ones, or do something differe?

1. Switched out to 10xinfantry ASAP

2. Made two armies under field marshals. One was given two infantry divisions per port in China (total of 16, I believe), but no orders. He just garrisoned the ports. The remaining 40-odd divisions went to the front with Japan.

3. I built nothing but military factories until I felt like I was going to win the land war, then I got some synthetic oil plants to allow me to build planes. I prioritised the national focuses that gave me military factories, then civilian ones, then research slots, then doctrine.

Synthetic oil techs are worthless after the first tech - all they do is allow you to build more than one plant per state, so I guess they'd be useful if you only had a couple of states in your country? Everyone else should just get level 1 and forget the others.

slavatuvs posted:

Every time I've done a coup it spawns with a good amount of units. Are you making sure your ideology has a good percent of the political situation in the country you want to coup?

Coups are larger or smaller depending on the percentage of the population that supports their ideology. However, I believe that one of the World War Wednesday streams showed a bug or design decision where the percentage of the population was set when you start supporting the coup, so if you start supporting a coup and popularising an ideology at the same time, you might end up with a tiny 5% coup even though the current ideological percentage might be much higher, so it looks like you're getting a tiny coup when you should be getting a big one.

Gort fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 10, 2016

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Can someone explain to me why the team workshop insists on eating the description of my mod every time I upload a new version?

In unrelated news, I did a thing: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699951941

People don't think it is a good thing:

quote:

Umm the Pak 43 is wrong it should be the 128mm Pak 44, the Pak 88 should be in between the 75mm and 128mm, Just thought I would help out. :)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mister Bates posted:

You have to actually do the Great Purge national focus, but you have to wait until after the 4th International is founded before you start the focus. The 4th International event is bugged - it happens, but generates no notification, so it only happens in the background. It happens in September 1938, I believe. If you start the Great Purge focus after that, and then choose to purge nobody in the resulting event chain, you can go Trotskyist at the end of the chain.

What are the other options besides purging nobody, and what happens if you choose them?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
There seems to a bug where my war participation points just disappear. I've had it happen twice now after loading up my game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Empress Theonora posted:

What are the other options besides purging nobody, and what happens if you choose them?

There are three options in each of the four purge decisions - purge one set of guys, purge another, or purge nobody. Different ministers get removed depending on what you pick.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

slavatuvs posted:

I did a communist coup in Japan with the communists having 40% strength and they spawned with 3 divisions.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
When you upgrade your equipment apparently your older stockpiled stuff disappears/is thrown away?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I did a communist coup in Japan with the communists having 40% strength and they spawned with 3 divisions.

Did they have 40% strength when you started backing the coup, or when the coup actually took place?

Raenir Salazar posted:

When you upgrade your equipment apparently your older stockpiled stuff disappears/is thrown away?

No, it goes into storage and is used if your newer stuff gets destroyed, or if you build new divisions without newer stuff to equip them with. In my French game I tossed the Turks a bunch of basic infantry equipment when the Soviets invaded them. My own divisions were using infantry equipment II at the time.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

So, USSR game: while the Axis kept pressuring me, the Allies took them out from behind and once they surrendered I got diddly squat in the peace conference.

I didn't really get anything. I demanded a satellite but the satellite was just annexed by a new democratic country created in the same conference after my turn.

Over half a million comrades gave their lives and Germany's just in NATO the Allies now. There are three Germanies but they are all democratic republics lead by Konrad Adenauer. Meanwhile, the USA started plotting a war with me because communism was becoming popular, and when Earl Browder won the popular vote in the 1940 election FDR just started a civil war instead. And I still have Japan to deal with.

What I'm saying is, Comrade Stalin would be deeply ashamed of me. This is actually a pretty good justification for how Trotsky ends up in power!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

It isn't. Chances are that the new equipment is sent out as replacement unit first. I know I still have WWI surplus stuff lying around in 1944. It's handy for equipping rear line forces.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

The event chain has four steps, and each step gives you three choices, which are all 'purge one group of leaders, purge a different group of leaders, or purge nobody'. The only downside of purging people is that you lose those leaders, so it's a matter of choosing which group of leaders you can live without. Half-assing the purge and leaving some people alive while executing others results in a civil war as all the enemies Stalin left alive launch the plot he was trying to prevent, while purging nobody will result in either a Trotskyist coup seizing control of the government (if the 4th International exists) or a massive right-wing general uprising (if it doesn't).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Antti posted:

So, USSR game: while the Axis kept pressuring me, the Allies took them out from behind and once they surrendered I got diddly squat in the peace conference.

I didn't really get anything. I demanded a satellite but the satellite was just annexed by a new democratic country created in the same conference after my turn.

Over half a million comrades gave their lives and Germany's just in NATO the Allies now. There are three Germanies but they are all democratic republics lead by Konrad Adenauer. Meanwhile, the USA started plotting a war with me because communism was becoming popular, and when Earl Browder won the popular vote in the 1940 election FDR just started a civil war instead. And I still have Japan to deal with.

What I'm saying is, Comrade Stalin would be deeply ashamed of me. This is actually a pretty good justification for how Trotsky ends up in power!

On the plus side, you got 25.5 million fewer Russians killed than Stalin did.

I think there are three ways to get war participation points - casualties (whether this is taking or causing them I don't know), bombing, and occupation. It sounds like you didn't do any of them very much.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The english channel is a slaughterhouse for my german planes :(

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Gort posted:

On the plus side, you got 25.5 million fewer Russians killed than Stalin did.

There's still time for Trotsky to spread the revolution to all of Europe!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
aahahahhaa. the people's republic of china and the chinese people's republic not only both exist in my game, but they're both being lead by Mao. ahahahaha

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm having a fun time looking at the in-game portraits and comparing the first results in GIS.

Ataturk's looks genuinely like a colorization of a really old photo and it's sort of unsettling how pink his cheeks are.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

aahahahhaa. the people's republic of china and the chinese people's republic not only both exist in my game, but they're both being lead by Mao. ahahahaha

How exactly did that happen? The civil war stalemated and then nationalist China flipped to communism on their own? I feel like they should just join with communist China if that happens.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ArchangeI posted:

Can someone explain to me why the team workshop insists on eating the description of my mod every time I upload a new version?

In unrelated news, I did a thing: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699951941

People don't think it is a good thing:

Ah, cool, that's one of the mods I added on my pre-launch steam workshop browse! It's cool stuff.

I wouldn't take the comment you quoted personally - it sounds like constructive criticism, not "your poo poo sucks and you're a poop." Ofc you don't have to accept the suggested change, but it's a positive thing that people care enough to offer it - you should thank whoever made it!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How exactly did that happen? The civil war stalemated and then nationalist China flipped to communism on their own? I feel like they should just join with communist China if that happens.

i puppeted china in the peace settlement, making the CPR, but then someone else decided to release PRC on their own so.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think Argentina is the only country who has a possible woman leader - Fanny Edelman/Jacoviks if you switch to commie. Curious.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

i puppeted china in the peace settlement, making the CPR, but then someone else decided to release PRC on their own so.

Peace conferences are just all sorts of screwy right now. Luckily it usually happens by the time you're done with a game so it's just a nuisance and not a gamebreaker.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Popete posted:

Does flanking make a difference, a bonus for the attacker? I know encircling the enemy causes attrition and loss of supplies.

The attrition is from not being supplied. It's possible (though very rare) to be encircled but still get supplies, if you're fighting on a VP province. Being encircled still gets you a massive -30% to attack and defense, though, so you're unlikely to hold out for long.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Playing a game as Revolutionary Argentina where I'm intending to unite the whole continent under the red flag. First point of note; the leader is Fanny Jabcovsky http://www.albavolunteer.org/2011/12/queen-of-the-machine-gun-fanny-schoonheyt-dutch-miliciana/ :allears: e; fuuuuck yooooouuu Funky Valentine :argh: She also has her own portrait, interestingly, perhaps precisely because she's the only woman leader?

Then the French fell into a civil war with their own Red uprising, only it lasted about a week - I presume Commune forces managed to strike from their start position in Pas de Calais at Paris and maybe Orleans, Reims, Troyes, or something, and brought France below their 30% national unity limit. The Republicans are winning the Spanish CW. Communism is on the rise :ussr:

Then again the US just said "Yo whatup we're enforcing the Monroe Doctrine between y'all as well as against European powers" and I might be about to hit the mother of all roadblocks

e2; gently caress, the yanquis did declare

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 10, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mister Adequate posted:

Playing a game as Revolutionary Argentina where I'm intending to unite the whole continent under the red flag. First point of note; the leader is Fanny Jabcovsky http://www.albavolunteer.org/2011/12/queen-of-the-machine-gun-fanny-schoonheyt-dutch-miliciana/ :allears: e; fuuuuck yooooouuu Funky Valentine :argh: She also has her own portrait, interestingly, perhaps precisely because she's the only woman leader?

They use the exact same picture in the article, too.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

So this game is awesome and I'm starting to get it while I never could hoi3.

The things I don't understand is knowing how much I will need to win a war, and how to design divisions.

I kinda get battle plans at least.

For example can anybody explain how turkey would invade Iraq for example? What I would need an how to do it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The devs just had Mao as the Communist leader for Nationalist China and then it either got couped or flipped on its own.

Which is stupid but indicative of the level of effort that went into minors in this game, even ones that were actually relevant to WW2.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Is there any way to attach my divisions to an allied battle plan or cede control of my volunteers over the country they're fighting for?

I sent two divisions to the Spanish civil war and it's still going years later and I have other fish to fry.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Well, a good start point is to have two types of division, infantry and tank.

Infantry divisions should start with 10 battalions of infantry, tank divisions should have 5 battalions of tanks (light at first, medium later), and 5 battalions of motorised infantry (becoming mechanised later).

You can add support units to either, and if you want a bunch of extra soft attack you can go to 7 infantry/2 artillery for your infantry divisions.

-----

The reasoning behind these division types comes down to combat width and how it works with attacks from multiple directions. Combat width basically determines how many troops can fight in a given attack, and is why if you throw 100 divisions at a single province you'll see the vast majority of them end up as "reserves" rather than actually fighting. A normal fight has a combat width of 80. If you attack from two directions, it becomes 100. Three directions gives you 120.

So by building your divisions around a combat width of 20, you know that you can do a straight attack with four divisions, if you're attacking from two directions you can use five divisions, six divisions for three directions, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If there a way to put a Neutral party in power? I want to see a South Africa run by the ANC fifty years early.