Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Seeing the complaints about Fimmel is weird, he's fantastic in Vikings. It's too bad if that's the only character he knows how to play, I was hoping his career would take off but if he doesn't have enough range even for a Warcraft movie that's not a good sign. Hopefully he was just bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MisterBibs posted:

Well, a lot of the draw is that you're seeing a movie version of a game you're a fan of, but overall it's a decent romp of a standalone fantasy.

One thing I forgot I liked: the Alliance realizing they can't fight these giant green motherfuckers with their swords very well, so they just whip out the shotguns on them.

The shotguns that were shown earlier in the film as some sort of item of wonder that he'd never seen before, suddenly the entire army has hundreds of them.

quote:

I saw all of the LOTR films during the first week of release, same with the Hobbit films.

I think I enjoyed Warcraft more than any of them.
I really didn't like the Hobbit films but I have no idea how you can find this better. At least they make narrative sense even though they're full of stupid stuff.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Taear posted:

The shotguns that were shown earlier in the film as some sort of item of wonder that he'd never seen before, suddenly the entire army has hundreds of them.

The movie takes place over a few months, plenty of time to train the footmen not to look into a barrel. Besides they use the pistols like complete dumbasses, firing them in the melee range, instead of asking dwarfs for some rifles.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

I really didn't like the Hobbit films but I have no idea how you can find this better. At least they make narrative sense even though they're full of stupid stuff.

Warcrafts narrative makes total sense. So Medivh visits an alien world and meets Garonas mother. But theres this weird dude named Guldan practicing evil magic, which Medivh decides to investigate. Guldan literally kills the orcs homeworld and suddenly the orcs are desperate. Medivh, having been corrupted by the evil magic helps Guldan find azeroth. Guldan tells the orcs about the new world and they invade. Everything else in the movie is played out in front of you.

The Hobbit films are stretched out too loving far and tied down to a better set of movies so even though there are plenty of enjoyable things in the movies they don't quite work.

The LOTR trilogy is great but its more a set of movies I appreciate rather than enjoy watching.

In Warcraft they off handedly mention a floating city because thats just how wizards roll.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

Warcrafts narrative makes total sense. So Medivh visits an alien world and meets Garonas mother. But theres this weird dude named Guldan practicing evil magic, which Medivh decides to investigate. Guldan literally kills the orcs homeworld and suddenly the orcs are desperate. Medivh, having been corrupted by the evil magic helps Guldan find azeroth. Guldan tells the orcs about the new world and they invade. Everything else in the movie is played out in front of you.

And again, why was Girona just suddenly in the forest near where the orcs were attacking the human raiding group?
Why did Doomhammer come up with a plan with Gul'dan to be "given Fel" then return to find everyone killing the Frostwolves and be totally fine with that even though that isn't the plan they agreed upon?

It just makes no sense.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Escobarbarian posted:

Someone tell me how this is as a standalone fantasy movie without relating it to the games in the slightest

My 63 year old father, with zero interest/experience in any of the games, saw it. He thought it was pretty okay, but admitted he felt a little confused near the beginning when they were just shotgunning character's names at you. A fan is going to immediately recognize every character and know their importance; a non-fan won't. Overall, he enjoyed it, but he's the kind of person who brushes off even the biggest plot holes with "it's just a movie, don't think too hard", so YMMV. If you go in thinking critically you might enjoy it less.

Taear posted:

The film took place over several months, so they could have obviously been trained. Point -> pull trigger isn't super complicated. There was dialogue between the king and the dwarves where they demanded the dwarven forges work overtime; assumedly, that's what they were working on. And, during the battle, I saw at least one time where the soldiers were fumbling around with the guns trying to figure them out better.

It wasn't explained very well, but it was explained.

Not Operator posted:

It's just a naaru, isn't it?

If you're talking about the woman in the box, I don't think so. This is a naaru, and if we're using the game canon, the naaru don't show up in Azeroth as anything other than priest's visions until way, way later. It's entirely possible they're retconning the naaru that heavily, but I doubt it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Grinning Goblin posted:

I thought it was Aegwynn but they called her something different. Apparently it is a character from the Warcraft Manga.

She is Alodi, the first guardian. I had to look this up after watching the movie despite having a pretty good grasp of the lore and following the movie production pretty closely.

Her character was entirely pointless. She says that Medivh is corrupted (we know), and tells Khadgar the "Light becomes darkness, from darkness comes light" bullshit which is one of the worst plot devices i've ever seen. What does it mean? Am i meant to feel a sense of awe or relief when Khadgar says it at the end and the fel goes away?

CJ fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 10, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

The film took place over several months, so they could have obviously been trained. Point -> pull trigger isn't super complicated. There was dialogue between the king and the dwarves where they demanded the dwarven forges work overtime; assumedly, that's what they were working on. And, during the battle, I saw at least one time where the soldiers were fumbling around with the guns trying to figure them out better.

Two of you have said this now so I guess it must be the case but it never felt that way - it seemed like it was over the course of a few days.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pyrotoad posted:

Going to see this on Monday; I only started playing with Cataclysm so all this RTS era stuff is new to me. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking based off what's been put out already but I think I'll enjoy it regardless. Someone mentioned a Grom cameo, what happens there?

Grom is on the screen for like 5 seconds you can tell by his axe. I don't know why to spoiler it as he has no dialog.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

Why did Doomhammer come up with a plan with Gul'dan to be "given Fel" then return to find everyone killing the Frostwolves and be totally fine with that even though that isn't the plan they agreed upon?

It just makes no sense.

When he went back he helped the wife escape and then freed Durotan. What part of that gives you the impression he was fine with what happened? He refused the fel because he realized Durotan was right.

Garona in the forest, got no idea. Didn't bother me, assumed she had tried to escape while the others were busy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MrFlibble posted:

Unless they change it Guldan is not the one who destroyed their world. As what is said in the movie he had help from one of fire and ash. This character is from Warcraft 3.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

When he went back he helped the wife escape and then freed Durotan. What part of that gives you the impression he was fine with what happened? He refused the fel because he realized Durotan was right.

Garona in the forest, got no idea. Didn't bother me, assumed she had tried to escape while the others were busy.

Tried to escape and was still chained up, unable to move?

Because he said to Gul'dan that he was going to go to the frostwolves and convince them that the fel isn't bad. That he'd show them by taking it himself. Gul'dan agreed.
Off goes Doomhammer and they're all being murdered, where he saves Mrs Durotan. At no point does he say "Holy poo poo why are you murdering everyone, we had a plan" he's just fine with it as though that's what they wanted to do in the first place.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Tenzarin posted:

Unless they change it Guldan is not the one who destroyed their world. As what is said in the movie he had help from one of fire and ash. This character is from Warcraft 3.

Sure, but for the purposes of the movie that doesn't matter.

Taear posted:

Tried to escape and was still chained up, unable to move?

Because he said to Gul'dan that he was going to go to the frostwolves and convince them that the fel isn't bad. That he'd show them by taking it himself. Gul'dan agreed.
Off goes Doomhammer and they're all being murdered, where he saves Mrs Durotan. At no point does he say "Holy poo poo why are you murdering everyone, we had a plan" he's just fine with it as though that's what they wanted to do in the first place.

Yeah ok, Garona in the forest makes no sense. Unless they brought her along and then staked her to the ground before the fighting. Which works for me.
Orgrim was not going to do that. He said he was, but he knew fel was bad stuff. When he got back and the dudes were being murdered? Maybe he assumed, like I did, that Guldan knew that the frostwolves weren't going to play ball and it was time for them to be murdered. Or maybe the other orcs had had enough of Durotans hippy poo poo and just decided to kill them. Orc culture is all fighting, it doesn't seem like a stretch to me.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Taear posted:

And again, why was Girona just suddenly in the forest near where the orcs were attacking the human raiding group?

It just makes no sense.

Gul'dan knew that Doomhammer was lying and was going to go rally the troops against him. Gul'dan just decided to remove the threat which would have forced Doomhammer to take in the Fel and force any other Frostwolves to come over to Gul'dan's side.

In any other movie it would have been explained with Gul'dan calling over a minion and going, "Doomhammer lying like his friend so me going to kill everyone before he betrays me" but that is really heavy handed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tormented posted:

Gul'dan knew that Doomhammer was lying and was going to go rally the troops against him. Gul'dan just decided to remove the threat which would have forced Doomhammer to take in the Fel and force any other Frostwolves to come over to Gul'dan's side.

In any other movie it would have been explained with Gul'dan calling over a minion and going, "Doomhammer lying like his friend so me going to kill everyone before he betrays me" but that is really heavy handed.

If that was Doomhammer's plan then why did he not go back to the Frostwolves to find the green orcs killing them and at least be surprised? Or maybe even get attacked by the green orcs? Especially since he seems just as part of Gul'dan's inner circle after that moment as he was before.

I'm not saying these moments suddenly make the film poo poo but loads and loads of them together just feels sloppy and cheap. It's fine to avoid heavy handed exposition and have the audience work out what's going on but the events don't actually make sense and they're impossible to justify. Girona couldn't have been in the forest with the raiding team - Durotan didn't even know who she was!

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Elentor posted:

No, I'm not projecting. I was left with some specific questions, like:

What is Garona exactly? The movie doesn't make it clear whether she's a half-human like in the original WC, a half-draenei like it was retconned, or something else.
Who is the woman that appears to Khadgar? Maybe I missed or misheard some key dialogue that explains it, and I don't remember her from WC1. She reminds me of the ghost girl from the Tomb Raider movie that has pretty much no explanation.
What is Medivh's pool for exactly and why does he need to go to it all the time. Does it heal him? Is it his life support? Is it the thing that's corrupting him?

I imagine they all make sense and have answers, but upon a first viewing I didn't really get them. The broad strokes of the story are pretty simple though, yes. A lot of the critics say they felt overwhelmed by the amount of information, hence why I'm curious about how people who didn't play any of the Warcrafts feel.

She says to Medivh before that scene, "I'm not orc and not human" and a Half-breed so they haven't really stated if she is half-human or draenei. Ether-way its not important right now but they were implying that Medivh was her father.
That was suppose to be Alodi a male half-elven mage, the first guardian but they changed him into a woman for the movie for some reason. It was pointless other then to give Khadgar the confiance boost he needed to take the title of guardian from Medivh
Medivh was trying to fight off the influence of Sargeras that had possessed him. Using a font of pure arcane energy to keep him seal inside of him and Sargeras could only take control when Medivh was weakened. Why as he got weaker Sargeras keep trying to wrestle control back until he finally won.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Macaluso posted:

If you're asking if they look like the Broken or if they look like how Draenei look now, obviously they look like they do now. You don't see them very much though. You see a girl Draenei breifly begging for her life or son in a cage but besides that you only see blue hands reaching out of cages

"the broken" are the real draenei.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Taear posted:

If that was Doomhammer's plan then why did he not go back to the Frostwolves to find the green orcs killing them and at least be surprised? Or maybe even get attacked by the green orcs? Especially since he seems just as part of Gul'dan's inner circle after that moment as he was before.

I'm not saying these moments suddenly make the film poo poo but loads and loads of them together just feels sloppy and cheap. It's fine to avoid heavy handed exposition and have the audience work out what's going on but the events don't actually make sense and they're impossible to justify. Girona couldn't have been in the forest with the raiding team - Durotan didn't even know who she was!

Doomhammer did go back and found Blackhand's forces killing Frostwolves burning their huts... This is when he tells Draka to get out before she and thrall are killed.

I'm sure he was surprised but seeing what was happening knew he couldn't do anything about it other then try to make amends for screwing over his best friend. Doomhammer just got promoted to chieftain of the Frostwolves and Guldan was promising him, "hey take the fel and you can be like blackhand over there"... so he wasn't part of Gul'dan's inner circle yet.

Durotan wasn't the leader of the war party, Blackhand was and she was his "translator / slave". Again I understand why your confuse as they don't explain anything the director seems to hate any type of exposition.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

f you're talking about the woman in the box, I don't think so. This is a naaru, and if we're using the game canon, the naaru don't show up in Azeroth as anything other than priest's visions until way, way later. It's entirely possible they're retconning the naaru that heavily, but I doubt it.

Yeah, you're right, I kinda did forget what they look like. I just saw a big, unearthly looking shadow construct talking about how "from shadow comes light", it just made sense in my head that it was a dead naaru waiting to cycle back.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Groovelord Neato posted:

"the broken" are the real draenei.

BC changed that. I'm pretty sure now the Broken are Draenei who lost the light or some poo poo I think

I was personally always fine with the retcon cause I like how Draenei look

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Broken from memory are the ones who didn't make it to the Exodar before take-off. But they changed physically when Draenor became the Outlands because of the Fel Magic of the Twisting Nether. They're a bit like how High Elves become wretched if they lose their arcane magic, which is basically a drug for them at this point in time. At this point in time they're still normal Draenei

Also on the point of Garona it may not have come up but Gul'Dan magically aged her and inserted command words so as to make her into the perfect assassin. It's not hard to imagine he changed her physical appearance from whatever it should've been into something palatable to humans. Although it sounds like she's not actually trained as an assassin in the movie canon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Also, I was surprised Moroes was a helper as in the game he's a dual wielding dagger kinda guy. :3: I thought it was Aran at first too.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Re; Garona
I figured she was in the forest because she is a translator. They made it apparent in the opening scenes that she is basically a prisoner herself and that she speaks several languages. I would assume the raiding party brought her along in case they captured any of the Alliance forces as prisoners and needed information.

Re: Alodi:
I interpreted that scene less as a confidence boost and more of Alodi actually awakening Khadgar's powers. It's not explained very well, but there are moments after the box where it's apparent that Khadgar is significantly more powerful than he was before stepping in, something that is noticed even by Lothar's expression after the polymorph escape. It comes across as more of "believe in yourself!" message, but I think it's supposed to be Alodi using the last of her powers to bring forth Khadgar and instill him with her knowledge.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vintersorg posted:

Also, I was surprised Moroes was a helper as in the game he's a dual wielding dagger kinda guy. :3: I thought it was Aran at first too.

Don't worry he'll be back to be a raid boss.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tormented posted:

This explanation is garbage. In the movie he just betrayed his best friends coup in favour of Gul'dan, why would Gul'dan have any reason not to trust him? And was he lying? I mean sure we know that he was conflicted but there was no indication in that scene that Doomhammer didn't intend to go along with the plan he himself loving suggested. He didn't show any sign of rebelling against Gul'dan until Gul'dan slaughtered his clan for no apparent reason.

The movie could have given a number of reasons for this but it gave none.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, that was super weird. I thought he was going back to say, "TIME FOR FEL" but instead everyone was getting murdered.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Alodi retcon is also weird given that he's showing up in the new WoW expansion and is back as a guy.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

MiddleOne posted:

This explanation is garbage. In the movie he just betrayed his best friends coup in favour of Gul'dan, why would Gul'dan have any reason not to trust him? And was he lying? I mean sure we know that he was conflicted but there was no indication in that scene that Doomhammer didn't intend to go along with the plan he himself loving suggested. He didn't show any sign of rebelling against Gul'dan until Gul'dan slaughtered his clan for no apparent reason.

The movie could have given a number of reasons for this but it gave none.

The moment he turned it down I knew he had no intention of doing anything Guldan said. He was looking at the human getting the life sucked out of him and thinking 'I don't want that'.

Like he said later to Durotan, he made a mistake. He assumed the humans would be like orcs and wouldn't work with them and decided following the crazy magic man was easier, like all the other orcs later on after the first combat scene.

Maybe the orcs attacking the frostwolf clan don't want them to get fel powers? I'd have to watch it again but while I was watching it nothing seemed odd about it happening.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I really liked that nearly everyone on the Orc side had issues with Guldan or his actions through the film. Green orcs pissed at him for cheating in the duel, Blackhand pissed off at his order to gank Durotan before that, whatever. He's not a leader people trust and respect, he's a dude that even the rank and file are working with because, gently caress, the dude can pull out your soul, this isn't a dude you want to run up and punch.

I really didn't like the language of 'The Fel'. Just call it Fel Magic. Fel magic is green and bad mojo when it gets up inside your tender bits. It ain't hard.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 10, 2016

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

The moment he turned it down I knew he had no intention of doing anything Guldan said. He was looking at the human getting the life sucked out of him and thinking 'I don't want that'.

Like he said later to Durotan, he made a mistake. He assumed the humans would be like orcs and wouldn't work with them and decided following the crazy magic man was easier, like all the other orcs later on after the first combat scene.

Maybe the orcs attacking the frostwolf clan don't want them to get fel powers? I'd have to watch it again but while I was watching it nothing seemed odd about it happening.

This.

I knew the moment that Doomhammer made an excuse about not taking Fel right there, Gul'dan understood he regretted what he did and was going to betray him so I wasn't surprised the next scene was the camps being burned.

They seemed to have been directed by Gul'dan, one of greeny fel orcs scream during the burning, "Gul'dan says the Frostwolves don't deserve the blessing of the Fel" or something close.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
One of my favourite scenes in the film is the final duel. Lothar shows up and sees that everything is hosed but tries to grab his kings body. I thought that was the ending but no he gets dragged down and put into the sacred combat. My brains thinking theres no way he can get out of this, whats the point? But then his sons killer charges and well, Lothar gets revenge at least. But of course the Orcs respect the result. Its so loving cheesy, Lothar walking down the line of orcs saluting him while Guldan rages, its great.

That and the little scene after the ending.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Macaluso posted:

BC changed that. I'm pretty sure now the Broken are Draenei who lost the light or some poo poo I think

I was personally always fine with the retcon cause I like how Draenei look

those are eredar. they are a thing that already existed in the universe. it also woulda been cooler to play the horror movie looking guys.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
all i wanted was ragnar lothbrok in warcraft and i p much got that

the cgi was pretty dogshit

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MrFlibble posted:

One of my favourite scenes in the film is the final duel. Lothar shows up and sees that everything is hosed but tries to grab his kings body. I thought that was the ending but no he gets dragged down and put into the sacred combat. My brains thinking theres no way he can get out of this, whats the point? But then his sons killer charges and well, Lothar gets revenge at least. But of course the Orcs respect the result. Its so loving cheesy, Lothar walking down the line of orcs saluting him while Guldan rages, its great.

That and the little scene after the ending.

Dude its rude to attack people who just finish duels. Haven't you play wow?

You saw them throw down the duel flag!

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Tenzarin posted:

Dude its rude to attack people who just finish duels. Haven't you play wow?

You saw them throw down the duel flag!

I was a pve baby child :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
All the overhead shots showed the zones so good.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

That soul suck effect though.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Saw this today. As a Warcraft adaptation it was pretty cool and I liked all the tiny fanservice bits like the murloc, Khadgar landing on the right spot in Stormwind with the gryphon taxi, namedropping various zones, seeing Moroes do something besides constantly shanking me to death, the shot of the Stormwind barracks entrance, and so on. Also I liked how Doomhammer the weapon had almost as much screentime as Orgrim Doomhammer the character, setting up Orc Jesus getting it.

As a movie it sucked rear end, all the actors were terrible but that's probably because the dialogue was super terrible. I don't see how this movie can offer anything to anyone who hasn't played a shitton of WoW, so it's pretty much just another Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children in that sense.

Which probably makes it the best video game movie ever by default, can't wait for part 2.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How many sequels until we get Tauren?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Phylodox posted:

How many sequels until we get Tauren?

Gotta go warcraft 2, warcraft 3 human side, and warcraft 3 undead side. Then the orcs meet taurens. Maybe they could mash it all into a single movie?

• Locked thread