Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Why are people ITT buying a 1070 FE card when they are 100 bucks more expensive and the AIB cards are probably going to be better?

Impatience and the fact that the difference between my 770 and the 1070 is orders of magnitude greater than the difference between different flavors of 1070.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Why are people ITT buying a 1070 FE card when they are 100 bucks more expensive and the AIB cards are probably going to be better? Also whats the over under on a place like Fry's having these at their store today so I can go rent one for 30 days while I wait for the AIB versions to show up?

they are only $70 more expensive, and that's assuming you can actually get AIB cards at $380. evga's cheapest non-reference model is $420, so people aren't optimistic. also impatience. and also i've heard from a surprising amount of people who just genuinely really like the reference blower/backplate.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Because they want it now and chances are it will be more than enough for whatever they want to do, anyway.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
It's me, I'm the moron ordering the MSI card for above FE prices. If the Asus or EVGA cards are available before it ships I'll cancel, but MSI has been good to me before and a couple of weeks difference is worth $50 for me since I'm at 4K on a 970.

MSI definitely taking advantage of the lack of supply though, no way is that price going to last once the cards are properly in stock.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Holyshoot posted:

Why are people ITT buying a 1070 FE card when they are 100 bucks more expensive and the AIB cards are probably going to be better? Also whats the over under on a place like Fry's having these at their store today so I can go rent one for 30 days while I wait for the AIB versions to show up?

The Computer Enthusiast community is built on bad financial decisions. Why do you think RGB LEDs, Watercooling, and gigantic screens are so popular? This is the sort of poo poo that leads you to submersion cooling your dual pentium 3 board in a bathtub. An extra hundred bucks for a weeks advance on a GPU isn't out of the question.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What do you consider to be a gigantic screen?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Never mind they don't have it listed on their site just the 1080. Maybe I'll stop buy to rent one if they have any in stock. You have to go to the store to find out. I don't know why they do this poo poo. You can't call to find the stock you have to waste your time to go to the store to find out and be sent away when they don't have any. So dumb.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Holyshoot posted:

I could see getting an FE if you need a blower cooler because you have a very small case with crap air flow or something but I suspect most people are getting the FE because it is more widely available, they don't care about spending the extra $70 and they want a card right away.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If I'm not going to overclock my GPU will I miss much with a FE edition? I'm willing to wait if the difference is really going to be noticeable @ stock speeds, but I kinda want a new card now :saddowns:.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Desuwa posted:

It's me, I'm the moron ordering the MSI card for above FE prices. If the Asus or EVGA cards are available before it ships I'll cancel, but MSI has been good to me before and a couple of weeks difference is worth $50 for me since I'm at 4K on a 970.

MSI definitely taking advantage of the lack of supply though, no way is that price going to last once the cards are properly in stock.

Yeah, the $719 MSI was the best I could get this morning. At least the reviews I've seen for it have been positive.

Now I almost don't wanna play any games until it shows up. 144fps in everything is gonna be fun times.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

PerrineClostermann posted:

The Computer Enthusiast community is built on bad financial decisions. Why do you think RGB LEDs, Watercooling, and gigantic screens are so popular? This is the sort of poo poo that leads you to submersion cooling your dual pentium 3 board in a bathtub. An extra hundred bucks for a weeks advance on a GPU isn't out of the question.

Gigantic screens are never a bad decision :colbert:

Seriously though, you spend every second you use your computer looking at it and the extra money makes a huge difference. The thought of a 1080 actually driving 1080 at 60 Hz makes me nauseous and the thought of it being TN is too much to bear, and I know some people are doing it because they wanted to save money for the card.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

xthetenth posted:

Seriously though, you spend every second you use your computer looking at it and the extra money makes a huge difference. The thought of a 1080 actually driving 1080 at 60 Hz makes me nauseous and the thought of it being TN is too much to bear, and I know some people are doing it because they wanted to save money for the card.

Oh, definitely. I finally have an IPS screen now that I've picked up this 29UM67 and it's incredible how different it is.

But you can more than get by with a 100 dollar screen, you know? Just like how you can get by with a 100 dollar GPU, or even an IGP if you're not playing anything wild.

But you could also spend 1400 USD on a dual 1080 setup and another 1000 on a curved 3440x1440...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mr E posted:

If I'm not going to overclock my GPU will I miss much with a FE edition? I'm willing to wait if the difference is really going to be noticeable @ stock speeds.

The cards all automatically overclock so there will be some difference, yes. The gains from OCing are around 10%-15% so far and the aftermarket cards seem to clock up much higher than the FE all on their own, for instance in one review of one of the aftermarket 1070s it automatically OCed iself to ~1970MHz, well over stock.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The cards all automatically overclock so there will be some difference, yes. The gains from OCing are around 10%-15% so far and the aftermarket cards seem to clock up much higher than the FE all on their own, for instance in one review of one of the aftermarket 1070s it automatically OCed iself to ~1970MHz, well over stock.

Ah, I'll go ahead and wait for aftermarket then.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, does 'aftermarket' refer to any card not sold directly from Nvidia? Is EVGA's FE 1070 aftermarket?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Oh, definitely. I finally have an IPS screen now that I've picked up this 29UM67 and it's incredible how different it is.

But you can more than get by with a 100 dollar screen, you know? Just like how you can get by with a 100 dollar GPU, or even an IGP if you're not playing anything wild.

But you could also spend 1400 USD on a dual 1080 setup and another 1000 on a curved 3440x1440...

And you can get by without a computer at all, what is sensible depends entirely on one's personal finances so getting up in arms over someone buying fancy computer equipment including silly RGB LED covered stuff is dumb as poo poo.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah, those are all options, and depending on how much you want to spend they can all be worth it. I personally consider spending more to get a component that turns electricity into slightly fewer fps and more noise to not be worth it. Still, most of us are turning money into warm fuzzies so it's a different kind of economics where the irrational has a value too.

Also stop imbalanced build shaming my poor 290. It's trying its best.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly, these days i think gamers waste more money on their cpu/mobo/memory/storage etc than the gpu or display. An upgrade to the former can have literally no perceptible impact on a game in many circumstances.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, does 'aftermarket' refer to any card not sold directly from Nvidia? Is EVGA's FE 1070 aftermarket?

You have reference cards and non reference cards. Reference cards are the founders editions. Cards that do not have the stock metal cooler after non reference cards.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

No, those FE are sold to EVGA and so on by Nvidia, we are talking about cards manufactured by the various AIBs.

Mr E posted:

Ah, I'll go ahead and wait for aftermarket then.

Just so you know OCing a GPU is risk free and pretty easy, you cannot break the card by OCing until you get into the arcane realm of custom BIOS hacks and such.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No, those FE are sold to EVGA and so on by Nvidia, we are talking about cards manufactured by the various AIBs.

Just so you know OCing a GPU is risk free and pretty easy, you cannot break the card by OCing until you get into the arcane realm of custom BIOS hacks and such.

Both good to know, thanks.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

And you can get by without a computer at all, what is sensible depends entirely on one's personal finances so getting up in arms over someone buying fancy computer equipment including silly RGB LED covered stuff is dumb as poo poo.

What I'm getting at is computer enthusiasts will spend tons of money on quickly diminishing returns, where "mainstream" will go for price/performance, and "normals" not even that. It shouldn't be surprising that people are paying gouged prices.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

xthetenth posted:

I like using Custom Resolution, even more so than DSR which if I remember right, adds a blur filter. My 1080 is running at 3264x1836p.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's still down to the Silicon Lottery. JayzTwoCents' MSI Gaming X 8G was slower than the FE version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rHjgnBtxhM

[edit] The 8G was probably 10 times quieter though :v:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Ooo EVGA cashing out on the 1070's for some reason

Also

:rolleyes:

They never cease to annoy me lol

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Ooo EVGA cashing out on the 1070's for some reason

Also

:rolleyes:

They never cease to annoy me lol

The FE label adds 10fps. :toughguy:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Deuce posted:

MSI sea hawk 1080 listed at $749 at newegg. (Currently sold out)

:lol:

Edit: $849 at Microcenters website! (Also sold out. Who the gently caress buys these?)

Look back at every page of this thread and you'll see exactly who buys these - you can spot them by their impatience and rage at low/no stock items. They remind me a lot of retail work where idiots come in and see something's out of stock, then harass you about "checking the back" because they have an entitlement complex and think you're lying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bleh Maestro posted:

EVGA's 1070 pricing looks like its starting at like $420 for the lowest card :\

Yeah it sucks. I was figuring non-FE would be more in the $400+ range and not $420+ like I'm seeing since at that point it's basically "is this worth it over just getting a FE?" Not that any are in stock anywhere. :sigh:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6171-KR

Been leaning towards this one from EVGA, if/when it's available anyways. Haven't checked up on MSI or others who might be good (Gigabyte?) brands.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I've never OC'd a video card but once I get my new machine built (thanks for the help :buddy:) I might give it a try and then fire up whatever the most demanding game is I have on hand to see how it goes. Unless it makes the machine louder, maybe.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
LOL at the max power draw figure being 65 watts higher for the FTW.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
gently caress this FOUNDERS EDITION bullshit. I blame Kickstarter.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Deuce posted:

MSI sea hawk 1080 listed at $749 at newegg. (Currently sold out)

:lol:

Edit: $849 at Microcenters website! (Also sold out. Who the gently caress buys these?)

wait whats wrong with sea hawks, isnt that factory water cooled

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I bought an FE because with shipping from EVGA the SC was $10 more expensive, and they canceled my order for one anyway so I had to grab an MSI FE from newegg. There's a $420 ACX3 coming "soon" but that's still just about the same price with EVGAs lovely shipping. Sure I could wait till they get to places with better shipping but, meh, not waiting for an unknown amount of time is worth 'losing" $30 to me.

plus all the problems with the fe are crazy overblown. and I kinda like the shroud.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

It's still down to the Silicon Lottery. JayzTwoCents' MSI Gaming X 8G was slower than the FE version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rHjgnBtxhM

[edit] The 8G was probably 10 times quieter though :v:

Yes, I have seen that video, but the person I was replying to was asking about how the cards perform at stock, in that case the aftermarket one will always be faster because of better cooling and higher OOTB base and boost clocks.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Geez, the new 1070 prices in Australia are a bit hosed, we're looking at around $770AUD, when an AIB 1080 is $1139. Would I be correct in assuming that a 390x at around $500 actually makes sense if one was to only do 1080p?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Guni posted:

Geez, the new 1070 prices in Australia are a bit hosed, we're looking at around $770AUD, when an AIB 1080 is $1139. Would I be correct in assuming that a 390x at around $500 actually makes sense if one was to only do 1080p?

Just get a used 970.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Watercooling to get a completely silent PC in the days of 6k RPM CPU fans and vacuum cleaners on GPUs was worth every penny. And the cost of upgrading the system is fairly marginal.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Guni posted:

I would wait and see what the price on the RX 480 ends up looking like down there, prices are usually pretty hosed in Australia but the RX 480 should be more like $300-$350 AUD going by exchange rate plus gently caress Australia pricing, plus the RX 480 will be faster than the 390X if leaked benchmarks are true.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

gently caress this FOUNDERS EDITION bullshit. I blame Kickstarter.

never buy flounders

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly, at this point I'm tempted to cancel my FTW preorder and just buy the founders edition MSI that appears to be in stock on newegg. I'll pay $20 more, but EVGA just updated guidance that the initial FTW order is going to EVGA.COM only and I'm really questioning what FTW gives me except a slightly quieter cooler. None of the custom designs seem to give more OC headroom so there's very little reason to want custom power phases.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
edit: I'm a moron.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Will the 1070 be overkill for 1080p?