Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

yea ok posted:

Looks like some guy named Ziff is buying them.

He's the person who currently owns websites like IGN, GameSpy, UGO, 1UP, TeamXbox, etc.

"Leaders in Tech, Gaming and Men's Lifestyle"

Buying Gawker. Okay that's just loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Onmi posted:

He's the person who currently owns websites like IGN, GameSpy, UGO, 1UP, TeamXbox, etc.

"Leaders in Tech, Gaming and Men's Lifestyle"

Buying Gawker. Okay that's just loving hilarious.

Kotaku & Gizmodo would be big gets for them.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

vainman posted:

Hogan, or anyone really, losing their case because they didn't have enough money is really bad and I'm not sure why people are trying to think of a way to make that happen

Because they don't like hulk hogan

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Then Gawker should have had a way to shut it down.

They did, and an appellate court basically told the trial judge to toss the case. The trial judge effectively ignored that order. That's where Gawker's ability to win on appeal comes from.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It's important to remember that a rich person using their money and power to put someone out of business is the height of all evil, but rich and powerful people using their money and power to ruin the lives of civilians is important protected speech and the two things aren't similar at all because the rich guy has politics I don't like and the rich and powerful people have politics I do like

Too bad that argument can't stand up to the power of Hulkamania

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
If you think right and wrong exist outside a political context then lol

Also lol if you think Peter Thiel isn't powerful

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Wasn't it Gawker who published the manifest that proved Bill Clinton was a frequent passenger on Jeffrey Epstein's Lolita Express? Seems like despite their reputation- organizations like Gawker and Buzzfeed might actually exhibit shades of real journalism. I've never gone to either website looking to be informed but I know they publish things from time-to-time that actually fall within the realm of being worthy of public interest.

Oh well. RIP Gawker. Death by worked sex tape.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/741354380247470080

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

Wasn't it Gawker who published the manifest that proved Bill Clinton was a frequent passenger on Jeffrey Epstein's Lolita Express? Seems like despite their reputation- organizations like Gawker and Buzzfeed might actually exhibit shades of real journalism. I've never gone to either website looking to be informed but I know they publish things from time-to-time that actually fall within the realm of being worthy of public interest.

Oh well. RIP Gawker. Death by worked sex tape.

Gawker and its affiliate sites have broken some very important stories. They've also done some very dumb poo poo and in life the bad almost always outweighs the good.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 10, 2016

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It's good to see noted respected journalist Dave Meltzer agrees that nobody should be allowed to be happy about a good thing in their life because someone with fame and money had a bad thing happen to them.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The powerless founder of paypal. Fighting against a media company worth about a fraction of him. Truly a David and Goliath story.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Le Saboteur posted:

Gawker and its affiliate sites have broken some very important stories. They've also did some very dumb poo poo and in life the bad almost always outweighs the good.
Yeah, Kotaku can be good once in a blue moon. 95% of their stuff is regurgitated pressers or reviews of Japanese snacks but sometimes even a weenie like Patrick Klepeck does something interesting like leaking the updated PS4.
Hell, just this week the British version had a very interesting article on the death of Lionhead.
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/06/09/how-fable-legends-took-down-lionhead

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's not unfair to say that for a long, long time, Gawker was a scummy rag, particularly during the time that AJ Daulerio was running it. But they also really cleaned up their act after they paid Daulerio to go the gently caress away. I mean, that story outing that Conde Nast executive was taken down like four hours after it went up, because Denton and the management team basically said, "What the gently caress is wrong with you," prompting Craggs and Read to throw a tantrum and quit.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

No matter how hard and often you scumbags try, Patrick's going to bounce back from this :smug: deal with it

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Chris James 2 posted:

No matter how hard and often you scumbags try, Patrick's going to bounce back from this :smug: deal with it

Giant Bomb Flyover

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

vainman posted:

Hogan, or anyone really, losing their case because they didn't have enough money is really bad and I'm not sure why people are trying to think of a way to make that happen

Yea this is my issue here, it feels like if you remove the 'literal billionaire' and 'hur hur wrestleman' angles from this and approach it as 'a person got outside help to sue a company they genuinely felt wronged them in a very public and embarrassing way' and I don't know how many people would be on the side of 'we need to make it so it's never worth the effort to do anything but instantly settle with large companies' or whatever

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea this is my issue here, it feels like if you remove the 'literal billionaire' and 'hur hur wrestleman' angles from this and approach it as 'a person got outside help to sue a company they genuinely felt wronged them in a very public and embarrassing way' and I don't know how many people would be on the side of 'we need to make it so it's never worth the effort to do anything but instantly settle with large companies' or whatever

Yeah if you ignore the actual context of this and replace all actors involved with formless writhing masses then it looks pretty different I agree

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Yeah if you ignore the actual context of this and replace all actors involved with formless writhing masses then it looks pretty different I agree

Right but every 'solution' to this situation would also exist for any other situation remotely like it. Like, you can't make the gently caress You Dude Who Made PayPal rule that only effects him or whatever.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Right but every 'solution' to this situation would also exist for any other situation remotely like it. Like, you can't make the gently caress You Dude Who Made PayPal rule that only effects him or whatever.

You could design a sensible legal system.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Looks pretty much the same to me tbh

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Ok could someone please spell it out for my dumbfuck idiot brain? What exactly is the precedent being set by this case?

Was there some sort thing built into the case where before it, rich people could not pay for other peoples' lawsuits, but if Hogan won, that became the law of the land? That is what people seem to be eluding to in the thread but it's so grounded in pigeon-legalese and rage against the machine lyrics that I can't make it out, probably because I am a dumbfuck, as previously noted.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Angular Landbury posted:

Ok could someone please spell it out for my dumbfuck idiot brain? What exactly is the precedent being set by this case?

Was there some sort thing built into the case where before it, rich people could not pay for other peoples' lawsuits, but if Hogan won, that became the law of the land? That is what people seem to be eluding to in the thread but it's so grounded in pigeon-legalese and rage against the machine lyrics that I can't make it out, probably because I am a dumbfuck, as previously noted.

No you understand it perfectly

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Angular Landbury posted:

There isn't any legal precedent set here, some people are just mad that the right to help others with their legal representation (which is a good thing) can also be used by people they don't like for possibly reasons they don't like.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Hulk Hogan brings down another lovely multimillion dollar company. RIP

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Andrast posted:

That's such a broad, meaningless statement

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dangersim posted:

That'see such a big, meaningless statement

Not really when there are plenty on countries where rich people can't sue companies out of existence and legal proceedings don't cost loving millions.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Dangersim posted:

That's such a broad, meaningless statement

You could introduce public funding for civil suits and/or liquidate billionaires as a class

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

What about companies that post people's private sex tapes on the Internet is there a country where that's ok

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

You could introduce public funding for civil suits and/or liquidate billionaires as a class

Ok now let's try to come with good ideas

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Great White Hope posted:

There isn't any legal precedent set here, some people are just mad that the right to help others with their legal representation (which is a good thing) can also be used by people they don't like for possibly reasons they don't like.

This is what it boils down to. Either you feel people have the right to outside help with their representation or you don't. It's actually a pretty important binary choice for a legal system to make and there's not really much 'well yes but gently caress Hulkster right guys?' room.

Andrast posted:

oh, poo poo, yea I guess we could just do that. Why did no one else think of this? Just do the good thing, stop doing the bad thing, idiots.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Tatum Girlparts posted:

oh, poo poo, yea I guess we could just do that. Why did no one else think of this? Just do the good thing, stop doing the bad thing, idiots.

It's a revolutionary concept in a country where "don't poison drinking water" is a controversial statement

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dangersim posted:

What about companies that post people's private sex tapes on the Internet is there a country where that's ok

Previously I would have said the US but thanks to Hulk Hogan everything is now fixed

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It's a revolutionary concept in a country where "don't poison drinking water" is a controversial statement

I don't think people think that's a controversial statement op

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The ability to have a billionaire dictate an attorney's conduct to the point that he's acting in accordance with the desires of the billionaire rather than the best interests of his client, in exchange for money, is in fact a pretty problematic precedent which currently falls into a legal gray area.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It's not so much that it's a revolutionary concept it's just a meaningless answer.

Like you might as well just shout "GOOD THING" or something.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

fatherdog posted:

The ability to have a billionaire dictate an attorney's conduct to the point that he's acting in accordance with the desires of the billionaire rather than the best interests of his client, in exchange for money, is in fact a pretty problematic precedent which currently falls into a legal gray area.

Yeah, I was going to say there's suddenly been a lot of oversimplifications of this issue after the lawyer in this thread previously laid out the actual ethical issues in this particular case.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fatherdog posted:

But the client's wishes were the same as the billionaire's wishes in this case.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

fatherdog posted:

The ability to have a billionaire dictate an attorney's conduct to the point that he's acting in accordance with the desires of the billionaire rather than the best interests of his client

Do you have any evidence that this is what has occurred here

Honest question

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 10, 2016

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Andrast posted:

But the client's wishes were the same as the billionaire's wishes in this case.

That doesn't put aside the fact that the billionaire in question was controlling and putting conditions on a legal team trying a case he had nothing to do with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

fatherdog posted:

See, this is a more interesting point than the PLUTOLIGARCHY stuff. Do you have anything I can read on this as it relates to the case? Legit interested.

• Locked thread