Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

RIP Paul Walker posted:

A few other things, like OEM wiper blade suckitude and crap speakers can be solved by money but will annoy you before they get replaced.

I already knew about the turning radius and visibility before I got mine but wow I couldn't believe my 2000 Honda Civic had better speakers than my 2015 Focus. Also, gently caress those wiper blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

fyodor posted:

I already knew about the turning radius and visibility before I got mine but wow I couldn't believe my 2000 Honda Civic had better speakers than my 2015 Focus. Also, gently caress those wiper blades.

I put JL C2-650 speakers in mine - cut up the stock speakers to do it. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, if you set it to Driver Optimized and knock down the midrange a couple notches.

The first set of OEM 29" blades I had were broken from the factory. Warranty replacement blades (oh god gently caress Ford dealers, what a pain) didn't last for poo poo so I replaced them with 28" Motorcraft blades from the dealer 'cause the interweb said they were great. NOPE! Next season I'm going to get a set of Bosch Icon 28OE - or, if I can find them, Bosch Icon 28OEA and 28OEB, so the spoilers are pointed the correct way versus being in the center. Haven't had any loving luck finding the 28OEB, but the 28OEA is pretty easy to come by. I've been spoiled by years of Bosch Icon and Evolution on my other cars, which last forever and work great.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Try a Focus with the titanium handling package for turning radius. It's 40'.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

Try a Focus with the titanium handling package for turning radius. It's 40'.

This was one of the things that kept me from a Focus ST in their first year of production. I keep hoping it gets better, but I guess we'll have to wait for a complete revamp.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I learned to drive in a 1974 Ford F-250, so the turning radius has never been a big deal to me, it's just something you understand and compensate for when performing tight maneuvers or deciding whether to try a U-turn or whatever.

I got my Focus ST for less than a $1000 more than a comparably equipped FiST, so it was a no-brainer decision for me to go with the more comfortable and larger Focus.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bill Pierre Ford in Seattle is selling a Focus RS for 56k. What the gently caress?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah.... I'll be ordering one from the factory at msrp or not at all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I mean I can see a small markup, but 20k on a 35k car is bananas.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It was probably loaded to the gills. Still, that's a $10k markup on a $45k car.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Still less than the average Golf R markup. Only half joking.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol "my turning radius!"
:qqsay:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not a hatch, but anyone drive an m2? It's not THAT much more, and might be a good backup if I can't get an RS without an insane markup.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

fyodor posted:

Lol "my turning radius!"
:qqsay:

A tight turning circle is not something you fully appreciate until it's time to parallel park in a tight spot. That's the only time it truly bothers me but HOLY gently caress is it bothersome at that time. Enough to bitch on the internet more than once, that's for sure

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Bovril Delight posted:

Bill Pierre Ford in Seattle is selling a Focus RS for 56k. What the gently caress?

Bill Pierre Ford in Seattle are lying, scummy pieces of poo poo and almost certainly don't have an RS. They advertise cars they don't have so you come to the lot and they can hard sell you on something else.

They pull poo poo like this,
http://mynorthwest.com/29900/car-dealership-backs-off-after-being-accused-of-taking-advantage-of-elderly-couple/

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Still less than the average Golf R markup. Only half joking.

What markup. MSRP? Fine, gently caress you, I know someone else will buy it.

STOP loving RUNNING IN TO ME YOU ASSHOLES.

Anyhoo. The turning radius on the R is pretty huge, i think it's because of the weird steering layout, but this car seems to have a huge turning radius compared to my 11 TDI Golf.

Also, she made it home today..
Before

After

Suggestions for how to shake it down. Gonna throw my poor DWS tires back on tomorrow. They're at 4/32 so I'm gonna do my best to ruin them by the end of the summer so I can get my new tires mounted. Just feel bad trashing tires that can be abused for fun.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't have an issue with visibility in my FoST but the turning radius is awful and fairly annoying since I parallel park the car in Boston.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't have an issue with visibility in my Focus ST.... As long as I stick my head outside of the sunroof. Perfect panoramic view.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Its one of the reasons I kept my 8th gen civic si instead of getting a FoST. The visibility was unacceptable, I couldnt get used to it, and didnt want to buy the ST3 to get the rear view camera. Shame, great car otherwise, but I guess thats just how modern cars are.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

A tight turning circle is not something you fully appreciate until it's time to parallel park in a tight spot. That's the only time it truly bothers me but HOLY gently caress is it bothersome at that time. Enough to bitch on the internet more than once, that's for sure

Turning radius is actually a thing for me with the way my garage and driveway are set up

I can turn my Golf around to back into the garage fairly easily with the door closed. I don't think that would be the case with a Focus.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PaintVagrant posted:

and didnt want to buy the ST3 to get the rear view camera.

My ST3 doesn't have that either. I just use my mirrors and prayers.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

I've basically just decided that my next car has to be a Focus. I got a base model Focus as a rental, and that thing was a loving blast to beat the poo poo out of. The automatic transmission is terrible at hunting and being completely neurotic, but all the sporty trims are manual so that's not a problem. My only question now is whether the RS is worth the premium over the ST. I travel for work 99% of the time, so it will really just be a weekend fun car.

Do the RS and be my bro. I'll post a review that will probably just echo everything else you can find on the net. It's coming into Newark on Monday, but loving lol if that means anything there's cars that arrived in early May still sitting in Newark. Yet people in California have their cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9zY3jCGTiQ

I've enjoyed this guys videos as a real world review.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I may have the opportunity to sell my 2015 Focus SE 1.0 6-speed - if I want something smaller, a lot faster, and automatic, what are my options? Are there any?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A Miata.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

PaintVagrant posted:

Its one of the reasons I kept my 8th gen civic si instead of getting a FoST. The visibility was unacceptable, I couldnt get used to it, and didnt want to buy the ST3 to get the rear view camera. Shame, great car otherwise, but I guess thats just how modern cars are.

Weird because I have the ST1 and have a backup camera. :shrug:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

fyodor posted:

Weird because I have the ST1 and have a backup camera. :shrug:

Focus has it standard, Fiesta doesn't have it as an option on any trim level

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
What year did it go standard? I thought it was st3 only, clearly I'm wrong :v:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

What year did it go standard? I thought it was st3 only, clearly I'm wrong :v:

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I may have the opportunity to sell my 2015 Focus SE 1.0 6-speed - if I want something smaller, a lot faster, and automatic, what are my options? Are there any?

FiST with a driver?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Significantly smaller, faster, and AT is basically impossible. The GTI is a bit smaller and can be had with the DSG.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Abarths are very small, come in automatic and can be had for cheap because Fiat is doing poorly in the US and no one likes the car but me :)

I DRIVE A SHOE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

haha despite visiting the Fiat website multiple times today I completely forgot about that poo poo

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

or hey get the new Abarth Spyder which is just a Miata but turbo and probably worse but will sound amazing

:q:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

By all accounts it's actually better.

I don't think we are getting the matte hood and trunk option in the US, though, at least not according to the current configurator.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

^^^lol you posted this right as I posted this:

Huh there are reviews out for that car now and several places are saying it's better than the Miata :stare:

http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-fiat-124-spider-really-is-better-than-the-miat-1781392740

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/124-spider/first-drive-0

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/abarth/124/95868/abarth-124-spider-2016-review

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I don't get why they don't have the matte options. If I'm getting an Abarth I want it to look as absurd as possible.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Focus has it standard, Fiesta doesn't have it as an option on any trim level

Good to know but he was talking about Focus ST.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
If you own a fiat that isn't a 4c your doing it wrong.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ehud posted:

Abarths are very small, come in automatic and can be had for cheap because Fiat is doing poorly in the US and no one likes the car but me :)

I DRIVE A SHOE

I tried to like the car, but I have driven literal buses with better seating positions.

Sounds cool though.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Had no idea the Abarth came in automatic, I wonder how it is! Thanks for the heads up on that.

fyodor posted:

Good to know but he was talking about Focus ST.

Hey buddy, no difference in the answer between the trim levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

iwentdoodie posted:

I tried to like the car, but I have driven literal buses with better seating positions.

Sounds cool though.

It is an insanely weird seating position, I'll grant you that.

I like my dumb little car overall. It's been a lot of fun for not many dollars. I got a 2013 with 6k miles for 16k last summer. Leather seats, 17" wheels, audio package. Pretty good deal.