Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Look at CGS if you wanna see how bad 3rd person is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Flumbooze posted:

Then again, I don't really get why you'd watch this game if you don't even play the game.

I've never played CS before and I watch competitive GO a lot. It's an easy game to understand and pick up as you go, especially compared to other competitive games like League or Starcraft. Most of the commentators are good at vocalizing what's happening in a round.

Every now and then they try to add in some third-person camera work when teams set up over a site but it's not really any easier to parse what's happening because the action is really fast-paced, and then you miss sick shots too.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

There's a huge market for Let's Plays and poo poo like that. 90% of the games I watch on Twitch, are games I don't play myself.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

RyokoTK posted:

I've never played CS before and I watch competitive GO a lot. It's an easy game to understand and pick up as you go, especially compared to other competitive games like League or Starcraft. Most of the commentators are good at vocalizing what's happening in a round.

Out of all the e-sports games I can see why TBS picked CS to go with for the first season. Explaining CS to someone who never has even played it or even never played a computer game is easy: two teams, 5 players each team, one is trying to plant a bomb and have it go off, the other team is trying to prevent this. Obviously there is more to it then that, but to just watch a match that is all you really need to understand, trying to explain a MOBA or RTS to a novice would take a while. Fighting games may be simpler even, but do not have as much of a draw as CS or the other main e-sports.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Well plus everyone understands the basic mechanics of a shootmans game, you click heads and they die. There aren't special abilities and level-ups and weird esoteric mechanics, which is what makes League completely impenetrable to me. There's a lot of different guns but they all have the same fundamental principle: point it at their head and click until they die.

I think fighting games don't have the spectator sport niche down very well because they're so fast paced that it can be hard to parse what you're even watching. Imagine watching Melee if you've never played a Smash game before, or even if you have played but at the most casual level -- it would look like a spastic nightmare. The flow of CS is a good speed to get a grasp of what's going on even in the middle of a heated engagement.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 9, 2016

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Every once in a while it's cool to see the overhead view of a team holding a site - but theres no way that should be the default.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVlAqnQd2A0

Be careful what you ask for.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Me personally, aerial shots can be sweet but they have to be used in a very specific manner. At one point I remember watching a cbbl map take by Lumi I think. They showed and aerial of B long and site. Then you saw all the smokes being thrown to block off the site while they pushed plat. Once the that was over they switched back to 1st person.

What I really liked about it though. Was you got to see how intentional the setup was where everyone was and how they smoked off the site. But, that's my it should be used sparingly.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Lmao what is this poo poo?

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Lmao what is this poo poo?

CGS, which comes up in conversation every time exclusivity contracts are even hinted at. Here's an article with a short explanation of CGS from last year from the first time ESL was working on exclusivity.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Day 1 of the Cologne qualifier ends with all of the bottom 8 from Columbus winning except for Splyce losing to HellRaisers.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

TheTofuShop posted:

Every once in a while it's cool to see the overhead view of a team holding a site - but theres no way that should be the default.

can we get a ban for ppl who have those clantags

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Dongicus posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CS:GO update 6/9/16 posted:

- On Valve official servers, the current map will be excluded from the vote options at the end of a match.
Thank Christ. No more 6 casual matches of Dust2 in a row.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
YES

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
That is great news now everyone will vote Cobblestone every 2nd match! Which is good because I need to learn that map more anyways.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

symbolic posted:

Thank Christ. No more 6 casual matches of Dust2 in a row.

That's...kinda lovely if you are trying to finish a Wildfire mission that requires a specific map.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh yeah that sucks

also, im digging the plat change on B site cbble

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
You will literally just sit through an extra map load because pubbies will switch away from Mirage to Dust2 in a heartbeat.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Dust2 is the best DM map, so this'll be hilarious lol

edit:

quote:

Added stairs up to B site platform, giving CTs additional options for defending the site

lol

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 10, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Dongicus posted:

Sorry you don't like good video games with good clan tags

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

what an idiotic change, valve has no clue what to do with teh back of b site

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
its alright

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

A TURGID FATSO posted:

edit:

lol

Is it april 1st

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Why couldn't it just be a couple of fuckin boxes

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
its a good change. way more realistic. why would you make a garden fountain area like that and just have this big ol overlook mezzanine that you cant even reach?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Up Circle posted:

its a good change. way more realistic. why would you make a garden fountain area like that and just have this big ol overlook mezzanine that you cant even reach?
This was actually one of my first thoughts, too, and now I don't know how to feel that Up Circle and I think the same way.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i must be getting stupider

in other news, i got the holy grail of sticker offers, a kawaii killer t AND ct in the same deal!!!!!!

Up Circle fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 10, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cobble is going to stay being poo poo until they add the option to open and close the vents near CT spawn :colbert:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Up Circle posted:

i must be getting stupider

in other news, i got the holy grail of sticker offers, a kawaii killer t AND ct in the same deal!!!!!!

Kawaii Killers have been around so long I'm not sure if they'll ever wind up being valuable. Chi Bomb and Flickshot are both going for :10bux: now and I'm getting to the point of wanting to sell mine.

Lucky Cats are going for 90 dollars now. :stare:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
This is kind of hilarious. Danish skin thief apparently goes to jail

http://gaming.dk/articles/2982-dansk-skin-scammer-idomt-betinget-dom

"His full punishment consists of 30 days imprisonment , 40 hours of community service and paying back the stolen skins for a total value of 5,000 kr ($760)."

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

RyokoTK posted:

Well plus everyone understands the basic mechanics of a shootmans game, you click heads and they die. There aren't special abilities and level-ups and weird esoteric mechanics, which is what makes League completely impenetrable to me. There's a lot of different guns but they all have the same fundamental principle: point it at their head and click until they die.

It's not just about the mechanics, but also presentation. If you flip on CS to dinner with your dad, all you need to tell him is "There are terrorists, there are counter-terrorists, they shoot each other and plant bombs." A complete layman looking at the screen is going to know they're watching a video game about soldiers shooting bad guys. If you go with DotA or something, well, good luck. Radiant? Dire? Nexus? Can I get that again in English?

Perspective matters, too. You only really know what's going on in Starcraft or League so instinctively (well, once you've played a few games, at least) because gaming as a hobby has conditioned you to understand top-down view. But to your dad it's going to look like a bunch of colour blobs. Hell, even I find myself barely capable of reading what's going on in a MOBA screenshot. But looking through the eyes of a guy with a gun? That's essentially GoPro.

Also I really, really dig what TBS is doing with explaining the game to people who have no idea about it. They have short breaks with players explaining the more abstract concepts and the lingo. ELEAGUE really has all the hallmarks of trying to make a TV programme rather than broadcasting a game. It's amazing how much they transplant from professional sports discourse and presentation: they have all kinds of crazy statistics you never see anywhere, even on majors, they actually seem to have less analyst desk time than most CS tournaments, and they have press conferences like you would in an actual sport. This is doing a lot to legitimise the hobby in the eyes of bystanders. I wonder if it will work out in the end.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
If it doesn't work now then I don't think it will, ever. Esports as an idea is currently in like it's peak of popularity, there's never gonna be a better time for it to happen than right now and counter strike is probably the best game for it to be attempted with other than like maybe halo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:downsbravo: valve

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

A TURGID FATSO posted:

edit:

lol

What's bad about it? I'm curious

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Dongicus posted:

After playing on the new version a bit that stairway isn't as bad as I originally thought it would be. CT's can actually hold a really good headshot angle if it's not smoked out or naded properly and does put some power back in the defenders hands.

It's still really weird to play the first few times, though.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

nftyw posted:

Kawaii Killers have been around so long I'm not sure if they'll ever wind up being valuable. Chi Bomb and Flickshot are both going for :10bux: now and I'm getting to the point of wanting to sell mine.

Lucky Cats are going for 90 dollars now. :stare:

you have the wrong priorities in life my friend.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Dongicus posted:

everybody is like "literally valve right now: :smug:" or going "lol just lol" and i genuinely dont understand why

A TURGID FATSO posted:

It's still really weird to play the first few times, though.

oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since like last week, whenever I hold the fire key sometimes it just stops registering, like I let go of the button. It's only really a problem when I'm planting the bomb or using the revolver. This only happens in CSGO, if I hold and drag anywhere else (ex. to select or highlight), I don't have a problem. What's going on?