Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

theflyingorc posted:

There are special considerations for women getting married, because, like I said, the law was written a really long time ago and was never updated.

At the time, my friend ALSO was told that NC allowed ONE namechange per lifetime for males. Women could do it as much as they wanted to because of considerations related to marriage/divorce. I don't know what parts of that are still accurate today, I think this was like 15 years ago.

Maybe not 15 years ago, but I wager an equal protection lawsuit would be pretty effective at fixing that these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Speaking of weird names, I am amazed that the Republican attack machine never found it interesting that Barack Obama's mother's name was STANLEY.

stanley is a boy's name, what are you hiding Obama????

There's a non-zero amount of attacks. IIRC there's a subtext of "Our precious white women" and tinhat stuff.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jarmak posted:

But they won that case?

Burying people with legal fees from nuisance suits is definitely a thing that exists and is bad.... but that isn't what happened to Gawker.

Except that the only reason MJ could afford their defense is because their insurer contributed to funding it.

Gawker lost that ability.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rhesus Pieces posted:

In non-Gawker news:

https://twitter.com/jesselehrich/status/741330348735377408

Trump's stomach is so full of dog whistles he jingles when he walks.

Protecting Christian Americans is a nice and good, but that better imply hunting Protestant Americans down like the heretical rabble they are. :colbert:

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Randler posted:

Protecting Christian Americans is a nice and good, but that better imply hunting Protestant Americans down like the heretical rabble they are. :colbert:

Considering that Trump's at least nominally Presbyterian, I'm not sure that that's what he had in mind.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So anyone taking odds as to how likely a Leave result for Brexit will lead to a Trump presidency thanks to a probable economic collapse coming from that result?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I would love to know who told Trump to say he's a Presbyterian.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So anyone taking odds as to how likely a Leave result for Brexit will lead to a Trump presidency thanks to a probable economic collapse coming from that result?

As someone who hasn't really followed eurozone stuff lately, why would a Brexit lead to economic collapse?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

theflyingorc posted:

Speaking of weird names, I am amazed that the Republican attack machine never found it interesting that Barack Obama's mother's name was STANLEY.

stanley is a boy's name, what are you hiding Obama????

No time for gay panic when racism is afoot.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If only they hadn't neglected their wall for almost 2,000 years. Trump will find a way to endorse secession or some other massive idiocy in response anyway and it'll end up a wash.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FAUXTON posted:

I would love to know who told Trump to say he's a Presbyterian.

Especially since the Presbyterian church acknowledges and performs same-sex marriages and allows women in the priesthood.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Brexit isn't an overnight thing. The stock market will freak out for a week or two after the result but it probably won't trigger a domino effect. It's also far more likely to gently caress over the British economy than anyone else's.

Whatever it is also needs time to percolate so that the voter gets the sense that the economy is bad (they are fired, their kids can't get employed, your brother's business goes under, etc). The time is running out on that kind of cataclysm happening and having enough of an effect by election day.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

MariusLecter posted:

Donald Trump: ‘I am the least racist person’

quote:

Well, I am not a racist, in fact, I am the least racist person that you’ve ever encountered. I’ll give you an example. It’s funny, I just got this, it was just sent to me by Don King. Now, Don knows more about race than anybody. He owns this newspaper, you know --Don’s made a lot of money. He just sent this to me, look at this.”

He handed me a copy of the latest edition of the Call & Post, a black weekly based in Cleveland that King owns. On the back of the paper was a full-page announcement endorsing Trump for president and Bernie Sanders for vice president.

I love how he had to squeeze in a little remark about how Don King's made a lot of money, as if that was relevant to anything at all. He has to do that with everyone he talks about doesn't he, it's almost like a compulsion. It's literally how he values a person's worth, whether they made a lot of money or not.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VikingofRock posted:

As someone who hasn't really followed eurozone stuff lately, why would a Brexit lead to economic collapse?

All trade agreements the world has with the EU wouldn't apply to Britain anymore and would need to be renegotiated, plus their terms of access to European markets at large would be far less open.

but hey they'd get to tell slavs to gently caress off or whatever bullshit they're peddling these days. Considering how the GBP is a currency kept strong by the import demands of GB, you'd have a massive flight of capital due to the sudden hurdles to importation showing up and you'd also have a bunch of multinational businesses seeking to GTFO since they wouldn't have any of the EU's trade or movement benefits.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 10, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Six times as many Sanders supporters would shift to Clinton over Trump – poll

quote:

However, the research, conducted by SurveyUSA for the Guardian, also shows that if Sanders were to find a way of staying in the presidential race, it could hand the White House to Trump, who would beat Clinton by three percentage points in that scenario.
However, the campaign is “undecided” on whether it will hold any more rallies, and Sanders did not mention Clinton once during his speech. Ignoring calls from a small group in the crowd to “stay in the race”, Sanders focused instead on the extent his campaign had helped shift the agenda. “What seems radical today, will seem mainstream tomorrow,” he said.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

Except that the only reason MJ could afford their defense is because their insurer contributed to funding it.

Gawker lost that ability.

I fail to see how that's relevant. For one Gawker isn't being bankrupted by legal fees, they're being bankrupted by a judgement. Second the fact that Gawker's optional insurance coverage not covering something they did and got sued for has no bearing on the legitimacy of the suit. A plaintiff shouldn't be required to file extra claims just to make sure they trip the defendant's insurance coverage.

But more importantly the key differentiator between the two situations is that one was a legitimate lawsuit and one was a nuisance lawsuit. The handwringing over whether Gawker getting sunk by a vengeful rear end in a top hat funding a legitimate lawsuit because what if a rich person were to try to sink someone with *illegitimate* lawsuits? is dumb because (a) Then it would be some something entirely different, hence the word legitmate, and (b) welcome to about 3 seconds after the idea of a civil lawsuit was first conceived.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Trumps pivot to the center that scared everyone (consisting of 1 speech read off a teleprompter) was so brief that it was easier to measuare it with a stopwatch than a calendar.

:master:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

All trade agreements the world has with the EU wouldn't apply to Britain anymore and would need to be renegotiated, plus their terms of access to European markets at large would be far less open.

but hey they'd get to tell slavs to gently caress off or whatever bullshit they're peddling these days. Considering how the GBP is a currency kept strong by the import demands of GB, you'd have a massive flight of capital due to the sudden hurdles to importation showing up and you'd also have a bunch of multinational businesses seeking to GTFO since they wouldn't have any of the EU's trade or movement benefits.

The UK gets a massive rebate on EU payments as well (ever since the 1980s). I have a feeling they'll be shut out of the single market and will be forced to apply for EU membership all over again within a decade of leaving, except they won't get sweetheart deals this time.

Also people wondering why the nice Swedish family from next door is leaving - after all I only voted to expel the insidious Slavs and Turks.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

FAUXTON posted:

But why would that kill the US economy? The UK, sure, I understand the problem. I just don't see how that takes us down with them.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Antti posted:

Brexit isn't an overnight thing. The stock market will freak out for a week or two after the result but it probably won't trigger a domino effect. It's also far more likely to gently caress over the British economy than anyone else's.

Whatever it is also needs time to percolate so that the voter gets the sense that the economy is bad (they are fired, their kids can't get employed, your brother's business goes under, etc). The time is running out on that kind of cataclysm happening and having enough of an effect by election day.

I know, but my thinking is that the economy has been a bit precarious for a while. Yes, it "bounced back" after China's stock market crashed, but hiring and economic figures have looked rather soft ever since, including a general consensus that the "growth" sectors (e.g. Silicon Valley startups) are starting to see investment tighten.

What happens then, when people start really asking questions about the future of the European project? Brexit, in my opinion, could very well be the pin that pops the bubble and triggers the next recession (which, I should add, we are statistically due for). Yes Britain would be hardest hit, but I don't see Europe getting away unscathed, and the US economy is a lot more exposed to Europe than it ever was to China.

And yes, while you're right that the window is closing on economics impacting household pocketbooks in a way that would impact the election, Brexit, if it triggered a recession, is perfectly timed to just be inside that window.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 10, 2016

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how he had to squeeze in a little remark about how Don King's made a lot of money, as if that was relevant to anything at all. He has to do that with everyone he talks about doesn't he, it's almost like a compulsion. It's literally how he values a person's worth, whether they made a lot of money or not.

Don King also murdered two people, stomping one of them to death. And stole from everyone he promoted. He's a real piece of poo poo, so right up Trump's alley

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Gyges posted:

You have to go to court to change your name? I thought you just had to fill out an idiotic number of forms.

Depends, when I got married all I had to do was show my marriage license at the SSA that was then enough to change the name on my passport and drivers license, but its different in every state.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Day Man posted:

But why would that kill the US economy? The UK, sure, I understand the problem. I just don't see how that takes us down with them.

whats a libor

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Antti posted:

Britain never even adopted the Euro as its currency. I have to think a break with the EU would be way less disruptive than the financial woes of countries like Greece and Spain.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Is the Brexit actually polling well enough to worry about?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Munkeymon posted:

A new poll just came out with no "undecided" option which had a likely voter poll of 55-45 for Leave.

This follows a number of other polls that have showed Leave gaining momentum.

The actual Brexit poll is only a few weeks away, so there's not a lot of time for Remain to gain ground.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

More money equals better than

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

radical meme posted:

Britain never even adopted the Euro as its currency. I have to think a break with the EU would be way less disruptive than the financial woes of countries like Greece and Spain.

That's correct. There'll be capital flight (both human and liquid) and a lot of uncertainty, and for a lot of ordinary Britons it will suck an awful lot (say if you're in Northern Ireland, commuting to Ireland, and suddenly there's a border crossing, or your company packs up and leaves and fires you), but it doesn't have enough of a reach to give America an excuse to put Trump in the White House.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Munkeymon posted:

The general feeling here was that Remain would win comfortably but not massively. The last couple of weeks have had the Remain camp slowly panicking as it gets tighter and tighter. It doesn't help that the whole referendum is just a grinding grey nightmare where awful people scream lies at each other for weeks on end.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Then, of course, there is the question if nebulous (in the US at least) EU political economic uncertainty would even help Trump. If a major terror attack in Brussels didn't, I'm not anything overseas will

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Must suck to be someone who voted for Scotland to stay in the UK and then have the UK leave the EU. Assuming Scotland isn't a hive of anti-EU voting.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The European Union should remain whole because the nations of Europe can't be trusted not to be giant fucktards toward eachother and declare war all willy nilly there I said it. :colbert:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

A new poll just came out with no "undecided" option which had a likely voter poll of 55-45 for Leave.

This follows a number of other polls that have showed Leave gaining momentum.

The actual Brexit poll is only a few weeks away, so there's not a lot of time for Remain to gain ground.

Well that's lovely but wasn't the Scotland polling at +5 GTFO before they voted to remain with a pretty solid margin? Mind you I'm not optimistic that the average voter will understand that a leave vote is a vote to impoverish their nation to avoid dealing with the immigrant scourge or something (nevermind improve the local cuisine again like the Indian immigrants did). I'm just skeptical of the polling since the Scottish polls were so bad.

UrbicaMortis posted:

It doesn't help that the whole referendum is just a grinding grey nightmare where awful people scream lies at each other for weeks on end.

Welcome to how we live for ~1.5 years at a time before presidential elections, I guess?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Day Man posted:

Globalism means every major economy in the world is inextricably linked

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

UrbicaMortis posted:

The general feeling here was that Remain would win comfortably but not massively. The last couple of weeks have had the Remain camp slowly panicking as it gets tighter and tighter. It doesn't help that the whole referendum is just a grinding grey nightmare where awful people scream lies at each other for weeks on end.

I think a problem is that the people who are somewhat indifferent may be in favor of remaining since status quo is king, but at the same time there is an inherent danger that they won't be arsed to show up for the actual election.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I haven't been paying a bit of attention to the whole Brexit thing. Does it really stem down to not wanting to take in refugees/allow in immigrants from poorer EU nations? If so how do they sugar coat it or are they open about the reasoning?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/thelastleg/status/741387713509773314

Truly, the UKMTest political leader.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

call to action posted:

The only funnier thing is you thinking he's a she.

Well that's not Nikki Haley at all. :sweatdrop:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I haven't been paying a bit of attention to the whole Brexit thing. Does it really stem down to not wanting to take in refugees/allow in immigrants from poorer EU nations? If so how do they sugar coat it or are they open about the reasoning?

My understanding is that it's about as cloaked as pre-Trump Republicans were about stopping illegal immigrants from coming to America and international agreements. Only they don't have to pay lip service to being a nation of immigrants and they hold up signs about how this will fix their universal health care. Also, you can't regulate our poor, put upon, innocent banks and finance system.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's about split between "Pollacks taking are jobs!" and "Belgians taking are sovereignty!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

:newdanger:

• Locked thread