Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

macnbc posted:

And yet there's been preorders available for every single console launch in recent years without this being an issue at all.

There's no alternative for an Xbone or a PS4, as opposed to the multitude of graphics cards which all more or less fulfill the same purpose. The likelihood of someone cancelling their order for an Asus Xtr3m3 Gamer 1080 Superclock is a lot higher when they can get an Asus Xtr3m3 Gamer 1080 Megaclock if it happens to be in stock.

I'm not saying it's the only reason, but this is of course the thread where people back out of eBay auctions because new benchmarks came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

New 3DMark11 benchmark of an unknown AMD card:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11263084

470X?

Looks like it is trading blows directly with the GTX 970 stuck with the same non K 4770 CPU.

You're a generation behind here AMD, 900 series has already had 2 years for you to catch up. :v:

It might get closer to 980 level performance if it wasn't held back by such a slow max turbo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

EdEddnEddy posted:

470X?

Looks like it is trading blows directly with the GTX 970 stuck with the same non K 4770 CPU.

You're a generation behind here AMD, 900 series has already had 2 years for you to catch up. :v:

It might get closer to 980 level performance if it wasn't held back by such a slow max turbo.

I think that's an RX-480. The "4K gaming PC" is SLI 980s. This is more than 10% faster than a 970, it's got RX 480 written all over it.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

objects in mirror posted:

Will the 1070 be overkill for 1080p?

Yes? it's in the reviews. It does very well for 1440p but not 144fps on ultra. Definitely overkill for 1080p

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EdEddnEddy posted:

470X?

Twerk from Home posted:

I think that's an RX-480. The "4K gaming PC" is SLI 980s. This is more than 10% faster than a 970, it's got RX 480 written all over it.

I'm actually a shitposting moron. I double-checked and that actually appears to be one of those unverified ones of the 480 from before the Macau event.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The price gouging on the 1070 is amazing right now, god drat.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Better options would be a used GTX 970 for half the price, and hopefully the often-mentioned 480 that should be launching at the end of this month.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
People thought the 970 was blatant overkill for 1080p too. That will change in a little time

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Better options would be a used GTX 970 for half the price, and hopefully the often-mentioned 480 that should be launching at the end of this month.

This is good advice. 1080p is a solved problem more or less.

On the other hand, buying a new monitor to justify buying a new video card to justify buying a new monitor is always an option.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ItBurns posted:

On the other hand, buying a new monitor to justify buying a new video card to justify buying a new monitor is always an option.

That's exactly what I'm doing, though I know it's a very stupid justification circle.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ItBurns posted:

This is good advice. 1080p is a solved problem more or less.

Yea whenever I see people say "X GPU is OVERKILL" really puzzles me.

Even at 1080P you can make even a 1080 hurt if you turn up the DSR high enough, and there is always a new higher res monitor to do it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The GTX 970 is not enough to get 60+ FPS on the highest settings in many new games, so it all depends on how important that is to you.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr E posted:

That's exactly what I'm doing, though I know it's a very stupid justification circle.

It's like Nachos, though. Too many chips? Buy cheese. Too much cheese? Buy more chips.

Delicious.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

1070 prices in the EU are so loving lol that I just pulled the trigger on a step-up to the 1080 ACX 3.0 instead.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

1070 prices in the EU are so loving lol that I just pulled the trigger on a step-up to the 1080 ACX 3.0 instead.

Where are you checking prices?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

afkmacro posted:

I'd love to know, I'm waiting on the 1070 strix or a decent evga 1070 but given the current clusterfuck I'm beginning to wonder if I should forget about it for a month or two.

Im starting to think this way. In fact, maybe its best to wait for news on AMD or even 1080ti. The hardware doesnt look worth a this messing about, VR-aimed or no.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Where are you checking prices?

I'm keeping it strictly EVGA step-up because I'm lazy (I don't want to gently caress around with selling my 970 and going hunting for in-stock cards when I can just sit tight and have one put aside for me), but there's £150 between the 1070 and the 1080 and at that level it's basically peanuts.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

The GTX 970 is not enough to get 60+ FPS on the highest settings in many new games, so it all depends on how important that is to you.

This is very true. When I built my system several months ago I originally bought the 970 for my 1080p/60 display. It worked fine but the last thing you want is for something just just "work fine" when it's brand new. I ended up returning it for a 980ti and am glad I did. Not only are from frame rates good enough but there is no drops below 60fps when things get chaotic on the screen.

TLDR: Don't buy for right now, buy for the expected usage life of the product.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

buffbus posted:

This is very true. When I built my system several months ago I originally bought the 970 for my 1080p/60 display. It worked fine but the last thing you want is for something just just "work fine" when it's brand new. I ended up returning it for a 980ti and am glad I did. Not only are from frame rates good enough but there is no drops below 60fps when things get chaotic on the screen.

TLDR: Don't buy for right now, buy for the expected usage life of the product.

People have widely varying standards, and if someone is asking if a product is overkill they're probably interested in saving money if it won't make a huge difference. I rode a 5850 for 5 years happily at 1920x1200, and I fully intend to ride my current 290 for 5 years at 2560x1440.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
1070 FE showing up as in stock again on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=6202798&SID=

Considering it's only about $20 more than the non-FE EVGA card will cost I'm tempted to just get a FE and accept that I'm dumb and spending probably $20-50 more than I would if I'd wait a few weeks.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

EVGA GTX1080 SC was up for $649, snagged one and when I refreshed a few minutes later, it was already sold out again. Pure luck that I happen to check. Should be a notable upgrade from a 780.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any reason people are going with EVGA instead of ASUS on 1080/70?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Step up program for the 1080Ti?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ak Gara posted:

Step up program for the 1080Ti?

doubtful to arrive in 90 days

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Last 3 have been Zotac and had no issues. I do like their warranty since I plan to put a water block on this, though I've never had to warranty a video card and the last 3 had blocks as well. EVGA was actually in stock and not founder's edition.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

NoDamage posted:

Welp, I randomly noticed Frys.com had the Gigabyte 1080 Founder's Edition in stock yesterday, and decided to pull the trigger. Ordered yesterday, shipped today, will arrive tomorrow. With all the talk of limited supplies and retailers selling out quickly, I figured who knows how long it would take to actually find an aftermarket blower version in stock , so might as well take the opportunity while it was still available. It sold out immediately after I placed my order, so I might have just snagged the last one.
Well this is awkward. I got the card today and the box looked like this:

Got on the phone with Frys.com, they were confused because they're not even supposed to have any 1070s in their inventory yet, when I looked at the box a little more carefully and noticed the barcode said 1080. Opened it up:

Turns out they sent me a 1080 in a 1070 box. Whoops.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How does that happen? Why are they even opening the boxes?

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

NoDamage posted:

Got on the phone with Frys.com, they were confused because they're not even supposed to have any 1070s in their inventory yet, when I looked at the box a little more carefully and noticed the barcode said 1080. Opened it up:

how does this even happen? i think it's kinda neat though!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NoDamage posted:

Doesn't look like a problem to me!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

wait whats wrong with sea hawks, isnt that factory water cooled

Yeah but Microcenter is putting them at $250 above MSRP.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Graphics card boxes will never, ever, ever change, will they?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Taima posted:

are you kidding? they used to have poorly-rendered, big-tittied angels on half of them. they've changed a lot.

it's like a trip down memory lane

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taima posted:

They got rid of the 3DCG girls though.

#bringbackboobs

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GTX 1080 > Titan X > GTX 1070=980 Ti

980 Ti is overkill for 1920x1080, but you can turn on features like DSR for greater graphical fidelity.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

wicka posted:

are you kidding? they used to have poorly-rendered, big-tittied angels on half of them. they've changed a lot.

GeForce 4 PowerPack !!! Vaporwave Edition

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Phlegmish posted:

Some 15 years ago the highest settings might have actually added some actually perceptible quality, but these days all those Insane and Extreme Settings are frankly just wankery to make some bad use of excess GPU power that the game wouldn't normally make use of. Why would anyone have to run on the highest settings which are simply there for bragging rights and where the difference to regular settings are almost imperceptible?

Take a game as old as GTA4 and crank those sliders up. Pretty sure no system on Earth, neither now or 10 years, will handle full view distance. Any system will die if you put say 100 million triangles on screen, which is not difficult to do at all. Does that mean quad-SLI 1080s are crap and we need to wait for next gen?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Eletriarnation posted:

Overheating a chip or circuit with current running through it will cause electricity to go places it's not supposed to or in amounts it's not supposed to, so that destroys things. However, even normal temperature cycles can over time weaken and eventually break solder bonds through repeated expansion and contraction.

If you take the card out and bake it on a sheet without it powered up and running, you can get up to a temperature that will soften solder without being hot enough to destroy other components on the board by just cooking them outright. Once it's cooled back down hopefully the reflowed solder connections will be functional enough to give you a few more months of life.

That doesn't make sense unless you're baking at like 220c because thats the lowest temp that RoHS compliant solder will reflow at.

Also, reflow ovens have very advanced profiles that allow you to bring the heat up on a specific ramp and maintain a certain temperature for a certain amount of time and then cool down at a certain rate.

Your household over is not able to do that.

This 'baking' GPUs think seems bogus to me.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

NoDamage posted:

Daaamn you lucky motha fucka!

Count your blessings!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Did I just manage to walk into a frys and get an after market 1080 and not a evga founders edition? All the pics on website for the evga founders look different from this ajd nothing on the box shows founders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

M00M