Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

New Phantom has a double chin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Green Intern posted:

New Phantom has a double chin.

It's understandable, he's past his middle age.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

With that hook nose and chin n the first panel, he looks like the dad from The Incredibles.
For some reason I'm thinking Mel Gibson. But only after Al Lewis.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Speaking of noses, here's Bloom County.

Skippy (April 12, 1929)

Peanuts (June 13, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Goddamn Les Mooreshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 27-28, 1929)

Thimble Theater (December 28, 1929)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (May 27-28, 1929)

That man has a hammer in his mouth.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's using it as a mock pipe.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

You're a plugger when you find out you need to undergo open heart surgery

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

"Can I even drive it when I take my prospective mistress on dates?"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ah, good. The storyline's gone from "gently caress you, Gunther" to "gently caress you, Bernice" right on up to "OH gently caress YOU, GREG".

This is seriously the worst garbage. Luann deserves to take the title from Gasoline Alley as the worst strip in the thread.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gasoline Alley doesn't come within light years of being the worst comic in the thread, so I dunno why it has that title. For my money, the top three right now are Luann, Nancy, and Tinkertons.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Once again, Spider-Man wins because someone else was doing the work for him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A Luann main character acknowledging they may not have been 100% right in their actions? Gotta be an edit.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Wait, didn't Gunther also ask Tiffany to try to get Piro out of the way so he could hit on Bernice? I mean, that's probably just as bad, if not worse, as what Bernice was doing. I guess it might've been Tiffany's idea to do, I honestly can't remember, but Gunther's seriously no better of a person here.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Unggh.

Out of masochism, let's see what GoComics commentors think...

partyalldatyme said, about 11 hours ago posted:

And that’s the only reference to Prince we’ll see, I’ll wager.

Bats said, about 10 hours ago posted:

@partyalldatyme

And what’s the reference?

UNGGH!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dewgy posted:

This is seriously the worst garbage. Luann deserves to take the title from Gasoline Alley as the worst strip in the thread.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Gasoline Alley doesn't come within light years of being the worst comic in the thread, so I dunno why it has that title. For my money, the top three right now are Luann, Nancy, and Tinkertons.

Luann can't be the worst if only because it manages to be compelling enough to hate. It is seriously a four star hate-read. Every day I look it up with such anticipation of how it's going to piss me off today. And then it always delivers and it just feels so good to get mad at this piece of poo poo comic.

Tinkersons might be the worse for just sheer ugly banality. Like Sylvia, my eyeballs refuse to read it. But at least with Sylvia you can see that a lot of effort and artistic integrity went into making a comic so ugly. It's the same reason Zippy isn't the worst either, even though I hate it thoroughly. Tinkersons has a lazy copy-pasted ugliness. It's not even trying to be good. Same goes for that pandering nerd comic that my brain can't be bothered to think of the name of right now.

Nancy is, like Luann, completely hateable, but has the added quality of having once been so good. It might be the worst just for the fact that every day wholesome red-blooded God-fearing Americans are opening up their newspapers to see that some rear end in a top hat has once again published a drawing of Guy Gilchrist pissing on Ernie Bushmiller's corpse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That one with the shaky eyes as a constant punchline, like an honest "Plop!" but without the charm or motion. That's bad.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

SpacePig posted:

Wait, didn't Gunther also ask Tiffany to try to get Piro out of the way so he could hit on Bernice? I mean, that's probably just as bad, if not worse, as what Bernice was doing. I guess it might've been Tiffany's idea to do, I honestly can't remember, but Gunther's seriously no better of a person here.

You're remembering correctly; they've literally both used the same tactic but rather arbitrarily Gunther is in the right. On top of that, Bernice is wrong to be attracted to Piro for no reason even while Gunther is correct to be attracted to Bernice for no reason. They're both miserable shits and I'd say they deserved each other but that comes off-puttingly close to endorsing the strip's bizarre narrative that Gunther and Bernice are meant to be together.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 18, 1951)

Barnaby (October 23, 1942)

Nancy (July 2, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (March 15, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (April 13, 1923)

Barney Google (March 31, 1922)

Lil' Abner (November 27, 1936)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Goddamn Les Mooreshaft

Yes, Les will surely enjoy the ISIS book.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation :)

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Banana Oil!

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Rose is Rose is the worst newspaper strip in this thread, and perhaps the world, in my opinion.

F Minus

Vice-Parent in Charge of Dishes

Mary Worth

That's right. She went out to the movies and to eat after once with some people who weren't the professor, and problem solved. Time for the MW victory lap!

Rex Morgan MD

Half a mil? Please! That's nothing to a guy like him. He's a freelance comic book artist from the 50s/60s he must be rolling in dough!

Secret Agent X-9

I wish I had a disappearing gun.

Apartment 3-G

What do you, the audience, think?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Half a mil? Please! That's nothing to a guy like him. He's a freelance comic book artist from the 50s/60s he must be rolling in dough!

Oh, huh. I thought the guy was around 60-ish and figured his dad was dead by now.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh, huh. I thought the guy was around 60-ish and figured his dad was dead by now.

No, he needs to refuse the comics so that the Morgans can be given them to avoid family troubles.

Not that they could be sold to put the cranky old man in a home where his (narratively necessary) dementia can be handled. Maybe that rich guy's house. The one whose nurse/wife illegally took over the company. They can be cranky and unpredictable together.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Not Including Luann, 9 Chickweed Lane, Nancy, Piranha Club, Mike duJour or Rose is Rose- Quite Possibly the Worst Comic in the Thread, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Odonata posted:

Not Including Luann, 9 Chickweed Lane, Nancy, Piranha Club, Mike duJour or Rose is Rose- Quite Possibly the Worst Comic in the Thread, or, Gasoline Alley

Really? An entire panel just so we know some random shits who keep breaking into Walt's house are, in fact, misinformed concerning the quality of Gertie's pies? Gasoline Alley may not be the worst comic in the thread but holy hell is it a consistent source of strange composition decisions.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Little american nerd using the adjective bloody

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Calaveron posted:

Little american nerd using the adjective bloody

To be fair that is 100% in line with what little American nerds do.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set goes native.

Working Daze is a celebration of false hope.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix believes it. Or not.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SomeMathGuy posted:

You're remembering correctly; they've literally both used the same tactic but rather arbitrarily Gunther is in the right. On top of that, Bernice is wrong to be attracted to Piro for no reason even while Gunther is correct to be attracted to Bernice for no reason. They're both miserable shits and I'd say they deserved each other but that comes off-puttingly close to endorsing the strip's bizarre narrative that Gunther and Bernice are meant to be together.
Tiffany offered to do that for Gunther because she's our hero rather than because she thinks Bernice is a selfish and manipulative person Gunther deserves to end up with.

Gunther is still totally a fedora because he's being a dick about Piro who he's met like once and knows nothing about other than Bernice likes him better, but his 'team' is the one who has done things in a proper teenage drama way rather than Bernice who has been a complete Tiffany.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (June 13, 1929)

Peanuts: Year Five (January 6-9, 1955...and if you've been keeping track of fiddly things, January 5 was the day Sparky wrote the letter that gave Charlotte Braun "the ax".)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moominvalley Turns Jungle

Classic Dilbert

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

This is kind of cute except I think they screwed up the caption; shouldn't it be the cheapest price you can read?

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

They settled

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
:neckbeard: The Complete Cul de Sac is being released in France :neckbeard:

Volume 1 is out

https://www.amazon.fr/CUL-SAC-1-Richard-Thompson/dp/2365778550/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

I have one of the translated smaller books (Children at Play); I like to keep up with my French, and this is the kind of stuff I prefer for colloquialisms and stuff.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail Meets the Incredible Shrinking Woman

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

Turns out Everett True is just a time-displaced retelling of Fight Club.

• Locked thread