Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Volkswagen CEO spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
lol, what's an inspection? You mean something that causes people to not drive complete piles of poo poo on the road? That sounds unamerican!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

InitialDave posted:

The annual MOT here in the UK is mandated to not cost more than £55, and in reality most places charge £40, or even less (e.g. deals if you have the car serviced at the same time). In my experience they're generally pretty fair with what they'll fail you on.

As long as a mandatory safety inspection remains a safety inspection, and has a reasonably standard that must be met, it's fine, even if it causes people to :qq: that they can't afford to replace literally-on-the-metal brake pads or bald tyres. Your net worth does not justify endangering other road users.

Safety inspections should be a country-wide mandatory item, regardless - I almost always see giant rust buckets with busted glass, missing front or rear ends with just head/tail lights attached, smashed in doors, you name it. I don't know how or why anyone would want to drive a shitbox like that, let alone share the road with one.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you can't keep your tires from going bald, brakes from wearing through the pads, glass with passable visibility, and all your lights functional then you simply don't deserve to drive on public roads. You are a hazard to yourself and, more importantly, to every other person on the road. And even those handful of things is not a high bar, that's the bare loving minimum. I don't care how rich or poor you are, there have to be some base level of safety standards for something as high-risk as driving. And judging by the poo poo shows you see out on the road every day it is not something that can be left up to your average American's own devices -- they've proven that they just plain don't give a poo poo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Having been there, usually because they're broke as a motherfucker and are trying to get to work, can't afford a replacement car and the current one is a millstone around their neck that eats important drivetrain parts at random every time they get close to being able to do something about it. Hell, the only reason I made it past my first week at my new job after 18 months of unemployment (my brake pads delaminated and left me metal to metal on the way home on my second or third day, I can't remember) is because I'm a skilled ghetto mechanic and had a second (completely non road worthy and unsaleable, before you smugly inform me I should have sold it to pay for things) vehicle with the same brake system design, so I simply swapped its rotors and pads onto my crapcan daily driver and kept going. I had $1.58 left in my bank account and not enough gas left in the tank to get home when I got to work the day my first paycheck was deposited... if it hadn't been deposited till the next Monday, I would have had to stay at work over the weekend simply because I had no money or gas to get home. And that was after a fellow AI goon forced me to take $100 more in payment for welding work I did for him than I quoted.

If the drat thing has roadworthy tires, brakes, steering, suspension, lights, horn, seatbelts, and a non shattered windshield I don't give a rats loving rear end what else is wrong with it, TBH. People generally don't drive crapcans like that because they want to.

e: so basically I'm agreeing with Guinness here. And a few others who have posted. I don't care if someone rolls the dice with their own life, if that's the lovely position they're in, but they shouldn't be doing so with someone else's life AKA everyone else on the road.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

InitialDave posted:

The annual MOT here in the UK is mandated to not cost more than £55, and in reality most places charge £40, or even less (e.g. deals if you have the car serviced at the same time). In my experience they're generally pretty fair with what they'll fail you on.

As long as a mandatory safety inspection remains a safety inspection, and has a reasonably standard that must be met, it's fine, even if it causes people to :qq: that they can't afford to replace literally-on-the-metal brake pads or bald tyres. Your net worth does not justify endangering other road users.

They'll pass literally anything as long as it's safe. Thank god. My guy has a fancy rear end emissions thing that he has NEVER used hahaha.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Safety inspections should be a country-wide mandatory item, regardless - I almost always see giant rust buckets with busted glass, missing front or rear ends with just head/tail lights attached, smashed in doors, you name it. I don't know how or why anyone would want to drive a shitbox like that, let alone share the road with one.

Having grown up and watched the MOT test change from something that you'd get for slipping the tester a drink, to something that is done to a set of nationwide standards, I can confirm that it vastly improves the mechanical condition of cars on the road.

That said, this period coincides with the collapse of the British car industry, so the number of badly-designed and poorly-manufactured cars also decreased, so that might be skewing the stats.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

With a username like Calibrasteve his wife left him since he is probably a twat.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If having a running car is that important may I suggest that next time you guys invest in a well maintained used Japanese sedan instead of all Chryslers all the time?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BigPaddy posted:

With a username like Calibrasteve his wife left him since he is probably a twat.

Fair point I feel.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Throatwarbler posted:

If having a running car is that important may I suggest that next time you guys invest in a well maintained used Japanese sedan instead of all Chryslers all the time?

But I don't want to give my :20bux: to no commie bastards in Asia. I need an American car! I need an American Truck! I need a lifted Dodge Ram!!!!!! I need to put a giant :911: flag over my rear window and plaster it with "Buy American" and "NObama" stickers :bahgawd:
Even though it's actually an Italian car now, since it Chrysler stopped being an American company in 1998

My favorite version of that was seeing Ford Rangers with "buy American" stickers, since they had bought a Mazda B-series pickup and then bragged about their American car...

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BOOTY-ADE posted:

They don't want to drive a vehicle like that. Could you signal a little harder you don't know what financial hardship is like in any meaningful way?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Door Frame posted:

My favorite version of that was seeing Ford Rangers with "buy American" stickers, since they had bought a Mazda B-series pickup and then bragged about their American car...
The ford ranger and b-series was built mostly in St. Paul, MN as a few other US factories, so I'm not sure what your point is.

And while there was some parts sharing from mazda, the US B-series was more of a rebadged ranger than vice versa.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

They don't want to drive a vehicle like that. Could you signal a little harder you don't know what financial hardship is like in any meaningful way?

Hm yes, you're correct, driving a car is a constitutional right and just because you can't afford to do it safely, gently caress everyone else's safety too.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hm yes, you're correct, driving a car is a constitutional right and just because you can't afford to do it safely, gently caress everyone else's safety too.

You're not responding in any way to anything I said.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Then I guess it was someone else who italicized 'want' as if not wanting to drive a dangerous car and still doing it makes it okay.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The Door Frame posted:

But I don't want to give my :20bux: to no commie bastards in Asia. I need an American car! I need an American Truck! I need a lifted Dodge Ram!!!!!! I need to put a giant :911: flag over my rear window and plaster it with "Buy American" and "NObama" stickers :bahgawd:
Even though it's actually an Italian car now, since it Chrysler stopped being an American company in 1998

In addition to the Ranger being an American truck in every way I don't think what you are describing is actually reflective on anyone? All the cars I see in this and other threads with vocal conservative stickers have been Priuses or Toyota trucks. Conservatives seem to really not like GM or Chrysler because they are fronts for UAW communists. Why would they buy a truck from a company like GM or Chrysler that Obama himself personally spent billions saving and propping up when they couldn't compete in the free market? Who are these strawmen you are describing?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ether Frenzy posted:

Then I guess it was someone else who italicized 'want' as if not wanting to drive a dangerous car and still doing it makes it okay.

Okay? No.

Necessary for some people to literally loving survive because otherwise they can't have a job? Yeah.

But safety inspections fix that issue, totally.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ether Frenzy posted:

That's twice now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

Quick, someone reboot the troll bot - its stuck in an empathy loop.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gas the poor, they don't deserve to breathe my air anyway.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I feel this image is both a terrible car thing, but also that possibly the car itself is reacting to this thread.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

That's twice now.

Well I'll guess I'll try to somehow carry on without ever understanding your terrible posts, sorry about your poordom.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Throatwarbler posted:

In addition to the Ranger being an American truck in every way I don't think what you are describing is actually reflective on anyone? All the cars I see in this and other threads with vocal conservative stickers have been Priuses or Toyota trucks. Conservatives seem to really not like GM or Chrysler because they are fronts for UAW communists. Why would they buy a truck from a company like GM or Chrysler that Obama himself personally spent billions saving and propping up when they couldn't compete in the free market? Who are these strawmen you are describing?

Oh, of course the Ranger was just a B-series everywhere except America, where it was basically just a Ford with Mazda drivetrain components... That's what I get for not double checking. Anyway, the Priuses and foreign cars get posted because they're funnier than another one of these loving trucks

Those stopped being amusing around 2013, and are just really depressing now because they still have the faded "NOPE" sticker from 2008, even though we're 2 election cycles away from that being relevant. There's a silver RAM that I see every once in a while in my town with a really wordy "buy American" sticker on its tailgate, out in the boonies, there was this big diesel RAM with the NRA/American flag window decal and several "NObama" style stickers that I would see on my way to school, a lifted coal roller that had a Confederate Tailgate and "Miss W Yet" sticker on the window, and so many others. I thought everywhere else had them too, but Illinois is full of these trucks, and they're almost always RAMs or Silverados, but I did see a Ranger once, and that really stuck out because of the Mazda connection. And because it was a 20 year old truck that was in great shape, minus a really cheap Star-Spangled paintjob and countless :911: stickers

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

Gas the poor, they don't deserve to breathe my air anyway.
If they're close enough to be sharing your air, they can probably hear/read the stuff you come out with, and will regard it as a mercy.

You're being delberately obtuse in your comprehension of people's positions, and feigning self-righteous indignation about it. Grow up. It's pretty clear that the general feeling is that not being able to afford to maintain your vehicle is no justification for driving it in a condition which can endanger other road users, and this is completely reasonable.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 11, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I see an awful lot of expensive newer cars with miss aimed headlights and bald tyres too - lack of attention to maintenance isn't necessarily anything to do with lack of money.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

dissss posted:

I see an awful lot of expensive newer cars with miss aimed headlights and bald tyres too - lack of attention to maintenance isn't necessarily anything to do with lack of money.

Lack of maintenance can be because of money on a nice car too. Think of how many people buy a car above their means and live paycheck to paycheck just to afford the payments forgetting that, oh yeah oil changes, tires, brakes, bulbs, etc. all cost money too. But yeah there are those people too. The ones that are just that car dumb that they don't realize they need new tires until one of them wears all the way through or their brakes are metal to metal and they bring it to a dealer because it sounds funny.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Can be but usually isn't, at least not in my part of the world. A large part of it is simply laziness and ignorance, but there is definitely a reluctance to spend any more than you're forced to on maintenence of any sort.

We do have safety inspections here, but the first one on a new car is at the three year mark which gives plenty of time for stuff like tyres to become a serious issue.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I had a co-worker who swore that his Isuzu I Series was an Isuzu and not at all a rebadged Colorado.

Now here's this terrible Fusion:

Virginia also has yearly safety inspections

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, of course the Ranger was just a B-series everywhere except America, where it was basically just a Ford with Mazda drivetrain components... That's what I get for not double checking. Anyway, the Priuses and foreign cars get posted because they're funnier than another one of these loving trucks

Those stopped being amusing around 2013, and are just really depressing now because they still have the faded "NOPE" sticker from 2008, even though we're 2 election cycles away from that being relevant. There's a silver RAM that I see every once in a while in my town with a really wordy "buy American" sticker on its tailgate, out in the boonies, there was this big diesel RAM with the NRA/American flag window decal and several "NObama" style stickers that I would see on my way to school, a lifted coal roller that had a Confederate Tailgate and "Miss W Yet" sticker on the window, and so many others. I thought everywhere else had them too, but Illinois is full of these trucks, and they're almost always RAMs or Silverados, but I did see a Ranger once, and that really stuck out because of the Mazda connection. And because it was a 20 year old truck that was in great shape, minus a really cheap Star-Spangled paintjob and countless :911: stickers

Both GM and Chrysler build a lot of their trucks in Mexico (maybe Ford doesn't right now).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

It looks like someone is trying to up-armor that limo starting with an IED resistant grill and bumper.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

InitialDave posted:

You're being delberately obtuse in your comprehension of people's positions, and feigning self-righteous indignation about it.

Have you never seen him post before? That's all he does in every thread on the whole board.

It boggles the mind that people still take the bait.

f_c_
Oct 27, 2007

Why dont the poors just live at work then they wont need cars and they can work even more hours.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

Having been there, usually because they're broke as a motherfucker and are trying to get to work, can't afford a replacement car and the current one is a millstone around their neck that eats important drivetrain parts at random every time they get close to being able to do something about it. Hell, the only reason I made it past my first week at my new job after 18 months of unemployment (my brake pads delaminated and left me metal to metal on the way home on my second or third day, I can't remember) is because I'm a skilled ghetto mechanic and had a second (completely non road worthy and unsaleable, before you smugly inform me I should have sold it to pay for things) vehicle with the same brake system design, so I simply swapped its rotors and pads onto my crapcan daily driver and kept going. I had $1.58 left in my bank account and not enough gas left in the tank to get home when I got to work the day my first paycheck was deposited... if it hadn't been deposited till the next Monday, I would have had to stay at work over the weekend simply because I had no money or gas to get home. And that was after a fellow AI goon forced me to take $100 more in payment for welding work I did for him than I quoted.

If the drat thing has roadworthy tires, brakes, steering, suspension, lights, horn, seatbelts, and a non shattered windshield I don't give a rats loving rear end what else is wrong with it, TBH. People generally don't drive crapcans like that because they want to.

e: so basically I'm agreeing with Guinness here. And a few others who have posted. I don't care if someone rolls the dice with their own life, if that's the lovely position they're in, but they shouldn't be doing so with someone else's life AKA everyone else on the road.

If only there had been some sort of utility available to you, where a company would extend to you credit which you could use to purchase things and repay at the end of the month once you were paid. Perhaps they could implement this with a plastic card, which merchants could charge for your purchases. Nah, it'll never work.

(I carried a balance on my card exactly once, the first month I started work, for exactly this reason--otherwise everything gets paid off monthly. But I'm some sort of insane edge case, as discussions have shown 50% of AI goons apparently can't go near a credit card without entering a fugue state and purchasing $30,000 of poo poo)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Pham, knock it off. You ever been poor with lovely credit and no way to pay a credit card bill or loan? I have. Guess what, when you are 12 months unemployed, zero money left in the bank, and no job in sight, lenders don't really want to lend, and if they do it's at confiscatory rates (which makes sense, since you're a terrible risk) and you know that poo poo will get repoed in a couple months if you even try. My credit was even worse by the time I had a paycheck coming and it was like 4 months before I'd even caught up on bills enough to get the power and gas turned back on. If you think credit cards and car loans are an option for someone in that position, you're either insane or have never been there.

I used to use logic and make statements like that too, then guess what, I found out it sucks a lot worse than that. So pardon me while I roll my eyes at your seeming ignorance of any sort of financial hardship and assume anyone can just apply and get credit and move on with their life.

Also you guys may not have noticed while gooning the gently caress out about the extremes but several of us have posted perfectly reasonable middle of the road positions that don't involve burning the poor to fuel snowplows or allowing any jalopy that can be driven pushed or dragged onto the road.

Here is some terrible car poo poo, also

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 11, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kastein posted:

Pham, knock it off. You ever been poor with lovely credit and no way to pay a credit card bill or loan? I have. Guess what, when you are 12 months unemployed, zero money left in the bank, and no job in sight, lenders don't really want to lend, and if they do it's at confiscatory rates (which makes sense, since you're a terrible risk) and you know that poo poo will get repoed in a couple months if you even try. My credit was even worse by the time I had a paycheck coming and it was like 4 months before I'd even caught up on bills enough to get the power and gas turned back on. If you think credit cards and car loans are an option for someone in that position, you're either insane or have never been there.

Also you guys may not have noticed while gooning the gently caress out about the extremes but several of us have posted perfectly reasonable middle of the road positions that don't involve burning the poor to fuel snowplows or allowing any jalopy that can be driven pushed or dragged onto the road.

Here is some terrible car poo poo, also

I didn't even see it was a "jeep" at first.

And seriously.

Come drive in my area of town, see some actual poverty and take your :smug: just get a credit card poo poo and :fuckoff:

have the worst thing i could gis to end this ghastly derail.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't mind inspections, but emissions testing? gently caress off.

Emissions testing is fine, imo, but it should only require you to meet the standard that was in effect in the year the car was manufactured; and it should be based only on an objective measure of tailpipe emissions. None of this "you have a non-OEM rubber hose under the hood so you fail automatically" poo poo.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

In terms of affordable vehicular transport, I wonder what the relationship between mandated safety testing and the base level price of legal working vehicles at the bottom of the market.

While in the UK we have MOT testing, cars depreciate like bricks so you can pick something for not much money which runs and has some MOT. It might struggle to get through the next MOT, but you can just scrap it and buy another.

Whereas in the USA, or at least some areas (correct me if I'm wrong on this) the bottom end of the market seems full of overpriced cars which may or may not be safe.

My theory is that stringent testing makes the prices of old cars drop lower due to MOT fear, and while the MOT increases the cost of ownership it offset lower bottom end price of cars meaning total cost of ownership is similar, but cars are typically safer and in better condition. Obviously there are other factors like the lack of export market for RHD UK vehicles, but I think there is some level of truth in my theory.

Edit: Also I think the "but what about the poors" argument against testing is bullshit, as it simply points to a bigger issue that if people cannot afford some form of safe transport it is due to a complete failure of the social safety net, minimum wage and public transport. People should not need to drive an unsafe car in order to get to work and out food on their plate.

stump fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

stump posted:

...if people cannot afford some form of safe transport it is due to a complete failure of the social safety net, minimum wage and public transport...

I'm sorry, social what?

This is 'merica we're talking about here.

My gf saw that on my screen and said "What, is that supposed to be some sort of doof wagon?"

Now I'm not so sure.