Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Endeavor is a loving scumbag. I will root for Bakugou way before rooting for Endeavor.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Butt Ghost posted:

Endeavor is a loving scumbag. I will root for Bakuga way before rooting for Endeavor.

LISTEN TO BUTT GHOST

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Oh, and Shigaraki's father. We've been seeing him a lot. Part of him, at least.

He's a very hand-on parent.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Endeavor is a super rear end in a top hat but he's definitely not supposed to be villainous. His reaction to seeing All Might at less than 100% was "Come on, I know you're better than that. Stop moping and save some people."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

HellCopter posted:

Endeavor is a super rear end in a top hat but he's definitely not supposed to be villainous. His reaction to seeing All Might at less than 100% was "Come on, I know you're better than that. Stop moping and save some people."
Also momentary realization that he might be a really bad person because of his obsession.

But just a moment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Endeavor is a loving scumbag. I will root for Bakuga way before rooting for Endeavor.

I believe in Bakura.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think it is time for the students to actually start learning again. Granted, the spy (if one even exists) was never discovered, but Shigaraki needs to do some ground work before taking on the world.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

HellCopter posted:

yeah lol maybe the dude who abuses his wife and children is actually good and not about to usher in a new age of villainy either by accident, neglect or on purpose as the new defacto #1 superhero

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even if Endeavor is the new de facto #1 hero he still isn't gonna take All Might's place. All Might created that position and his absence isn't enough for the lifelong bridesmaid to fill it.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
There's gonna be a power vacuum now that All Might is totally without One for All. This is the time for a bunch of small victories on the part of the villains alliance while the students are sent on another cram lesson/camp.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Happy birthday All Might Toshinori!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

The conflict between Todoroki and Endeavor actually reminds me a great deal of the one between Elan and Tarquin in Order of the Stick? You've got an Evil Father who wants his son to do Hero Things, and in the process, build the father's legacy, and a son who wants to do Hero Things for his own reasons, but isn't sure how to accomplish this without validating Evil Father's Ambitions.

Not gonna lie, I thought of the same two characters when Shouto went back to work with Endeavor, because that's how I hope it ends. Elan does a terrific job of crushing all sense of satisfaction Tarquinn could have gotten out of his heroism and demolishes his dad's ego. I really want Endeavor to have a similar breakdown when Shouto openly redefines their relationship on his own terms and Endeavor can't do poo poo about it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
All Todoroki has to do is excel as a hero and repeatedly say that All Might is his inspiration. Even if Endeavor "wins" by producing a hero that could surpass All Might, he will never be recognized for it. Also, surpassing All Might would have been a lot easier than surpassing All Might's legend will be.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All Might shares my birthday. Happy birthday, me. :toot:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Fabricated posted:

All Might shares my birthday. Happy birthday, me. :toot:

Same here. Hi Birthday buddy. :toot:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Japan has the death penalty. I'd be interested to see if that gets applied to especially major supervillains.

Well, in the case in Japan, they only apply it to people who have committed more than one murder or equally atrocious crimes, and even then, often they just end up imprisoned for life instead, because they can appeal for retrial.

For a comic book character like AfO, where they are trying pretty clearly to make him into some sort of Magneto, I really don't see them apply the death penalty.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What has he done besides be an absolute bastard that makes him similar to magneto specifically

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he just wanted to make a world where people with quirks could use them to commit crimes at will. is that really so wrong?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

According to Superman, no

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

HellCopter posted:

Lol wat. Based on what we've seen so far this couldn't be more wrong. Endeavor doesn't want All Might to save people. He wants to surpass All Might by himself, and he spent all that time looking at that batshit power guy just constantly being better at everything. And all of a sudden he's a shrimp who couldn't stop a grandma from shoplifting? For Endeavor this is utterly unacceptable.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

HellCopter posted:

Personally, I didn't read it as this. Like, I'm with you that Endeavour isn't necessarily "villainous" but he is VERY proud. Seeing All Might, the only guy better than him, turn out to be a weak and pathetic-looking shell of a man probably infuriates him. Especially considering that All Might will still probably retain his position as #1, even when Endeavour inevitably vies for the position in the near future. He is Bakugou taken to his logical conclusion, a guy trying to become #1 hero who never will be because he focuses entirely on trying to be the most powerful hero, while his competition focuses on actually helping people and humanity as a whole, which will always make them more popular.

There is also the fact that the other guy has a quirk that just flat out makes him more powerful.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I know Endeavor is #2, but it felt like the Stain arc was deliberately undercutting his abilities. We see him be capable logistically, but on scene:

Gran Torino repeatedly one-upped and corrected him,
He seemed to have a poor grasp of the situation,
He seemed willing to fry Deku along with Stain,
Stain called him a phony on sight presumably without knowledge of his family situation.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

What has he done besides be an absolute bastard that makes him similar to magneto specifically

Leading an order of excommunicated mutants in an organized cell to overthrow the status quo, failing and then being locked up in a prison where his mutant powers are neutralized.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Captain Invictus posted:

Worn a round-topped helmet.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

LostRook posted:

Stain called him a phony on sight presumably without knowledge of his family situation.

To be fair, Stain considers all heroes other than All Might (and probably most villains as well) to be phonies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Leading an order of excommunicated mutants in an organized cell to overthrow the status quo, failing and then being locked up in a prison where his mutant powers are neutralized.

the status quo also consists of mutants. when everyone has super powers then they arent stigmatized. the "excommunicated mutants" are excommunicated because they like killing and stealing.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Can All for One steal heteromorph/mutant quirks?
If he can, what happens to them, do they become regular looking people?

Would Tsuyu become a not frog?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nahxela posted:

The worst of all worlds.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nahxela posted:

I don't even want to imagine it.:gonk:

Aforgomon
Nov 29, 2015

Rhombicosidodecahedron
I've been keeping up with this.

That's it. There's no joke. Go home.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

X-men couches most of its themes in the civil rights movements of the 60s and 70s right? Japan is such a homogeneous culture, compared to the US, that 'a bunch of people have superpowers and that impacts civilization' is dealt with very differently. BnHA was basically like "Welp yea it was a mess for awhile but life is back in order!"

I guess the problem I find with western comics is "different writer means different narrative and themes, but same characters" ..which is like "Why not make something new?" to which the answer is "because the brand is more valuable than something new."

Aforgomon
Nov 29, 2015

Rhombicosidodecahedron

Space-Bird posted:

X-men couches most of its themes in the civil rights movements of the 60s and 70s right? Japan is such a homogeneous culture, compared to the US, that 'a bunch of people have superpowers and that impacts civilization' is dealt with very differently. BnHA was basically like "Welp yea it was a mess for awhile but life is back in order!"

I guess the problem I find with western comics is "different writer means different narrative and themes, but same characters" ..which is like "Why not make something new?" to which the answer is "because the brand is more valuable than something new."

Have you ever heard of the book, "The Hero with a Thousand Faces?" What you said reminds me of that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nahxela posted:

Can All for One steal heteromorph/mutant quirks?
If he can, what happens to them, do they become regular looking people?

When Eraserhead cancelled all those villains quirks at the training ground, the big freaky guys remained big and freaky, so I guess physical quirks can't just be turned off or removed.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

And now I am going to kick over this whole table to show you how small the gently caress I give really is

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Yeah, normally lots of cursing is a sign of lazy translation but that group does a really good job capturing Baron Explodokill's voice.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yeah, normally lots of cursing is a sign of lazy translation but that group does a really good job capturing Baron Explodokill's voice.

Yeah that translation is Bakugou, as far as I'm concerned.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It isn't the only way to do Bakugou's voice, but considering his personality the excessive cursing works well enough.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I couldn't give the smallest of fricks...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I couldn't give the smallest of darns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This hecking kid