Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Antivehicular posted:

I was just thinking about the freaking Beisu-tsukai poo poo. I'm not sure what I love best about Big Yud: his complete inability to grasp conflict as a tool of narrative, or his earnest belief that his half-grasp of various intellectual conceits is not just special but actively a superpower.

Does anyone have his blog post about "I CAN SUPER-REWIRE MY MIND TO SAVE THE WORLD, BUT I CAN ONLY DO IT ONCE, SO THE OPTIMAL PATH IS TO NOT DO IT UNTIL AN EMERGENCY ARISES AND KEEP ON WATCHING ANIME SMUT AND EATING CHEEZ SNAX UNTIL THE WORLD TRULY NEEDS ME?" That poo poo is delightful.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

But I don't know the source.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010205221413/http://sysopmind.com/eliezer.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20010205221413/http://sysopmind.com/algernon.html#counter

thanks to su3su2u1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i'm reminded of japanese containing a word or phrase that means something like "you know how kids in middle school think they have superpowers and are so great and it's everyone else that's terrible? yeah, this person is like that"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

President Ark posted:

i'm reminded of japanese containing a word or phrase that means something like "you know how kids in middle school think they have superpowers and are so great and it's everyone else that's terrible? yeah, this person is like that"

chuu-ni byou, or "eighth grader syndrome"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Cross-posting this from the tech bubel thread:

The replies:

My personal favorite:

Peter better be careful, or he's going to trigger Eliezer's magic one-shot powers in his attempt to explain how Thiel is not transparently a nazi idiot

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

So he feels terrible all the time because he believes that if he could get off his rear end, he could save the world. And he has the ability to gain willpower once, but he doesn't use it because.... he's saving it for something more important than saving the world?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Isn't that the really old stuff that he himself has described as youthful idiocy?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Peel posted:

Isn't that the really old stuff that he himself has described as youthful idiocy?

oh he believes he has eternal youth now??

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

He can reverse aging with special vitamin supplements, but only once.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Peel posted:

Yeah.

The problem is that his mature idiocy doesn't seem much different.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tesseraction posted:

oh he believes he has eternal youth now??

Isn't that kind of the whole of point of what he is going for with the 'Live forever through sufficiently advanced machine intelligence' thing?

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Peel posted:

Updated: 2/26/99

So we know that he believed this as late as age 23 at least. Unless he was a 23 year old eighth-grader that is well beyond "youthful idiocy" and is just straight up idiocy. For comparison, Yudkowsky wrote "The Level Above Mine" in 2008 which is almost the exact same strain of stupidity. And his god awful cringe inducing OKCupid page was up at least as late 2012. It all paints a very consistent picture of an extremely credulous person that wants to be a scientist, but is cripplingly aware of their own credulity and lack of work-ethic.

I don't think he's aged out of it at all. I think he's just started putting his stupid in different places.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I need to see this OKCupid profile.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

pookel posted:

Here you go

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Well, that was a lot less cringeworthy than I was expected. Not into the polyamory thing, and it weirds me out when people go into their kinks in detail in an account attached to their real names, but otherwise he sounds, well ... like he'd be pretty normal in my circles.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

pookel posted:

It's philosophically interesting that I'm able to judge this statement false a priori.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I mean Eliezer Yudkowsky is almost certainly a better romantic partner than the vast majority in the Dark Enlightenment, so he has that going for him.

Not that it counts as a victory. It's like how I can run faster than a toddler. It doesn't actually mean anything for me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I think of that weird loving Harry Potter fanfic with all the H's in its name that people somehow think is not as bad as or more tolerable than similarly terrible fanfiction written by girls because it was written by a boy instead and is full of toxic masculinity instead of ~girl cooties~.

Seriously that poo poo is garbage and people who give it a free pass are the sort of people we make fun of in this thread (well that sort of people and :tvtropes:).

I found 30 Hs to be enjoyably trippy myself, but I was younger when I read it and IIRC somewhat sleep-deprived at the time.

I do agree with the general point that teenage boys are at least as bad at writing fiction as teenage girls, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I mean both 30 Hs and My Immortal were clearly, clearly written as jokes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I mean both 30 Hs and My Immortal were clearly, clearly written as jokes.

one of the theoires i've always found kinda interesting is that the beginning of my immortal is dead serious bad fic, and then someone else took it over with their tongue in cheek

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Tesseraction posted:

chuu-ni byou, or "eighth grader syndrome"

Oh wow, a bunch of internet subcultures now suddenly make sense.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Literally The Worst posted:

one of the theoires i've always found kinda interesting is that the beginning of my immortal is dead serious bad fic, and then someone else took it over with their tongue in cheek

That's what I chose to believe. It would be harder to start that as a joke with no inspiration than to come up with Roko's Basilisk and take it seriously.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
In my Google Docs I have the final copyediting draft of Neoreaction a Basilisk and I've just finished a first readthrough. It's been greatly improved by the tweaks and polishing in the month of rationalist outrage at its existence. Phil is literally in the middle of moving house right now, he'll probably get back to NaB in about a week. I predict those of you who preordered will be delighted. It's noticeably improved even over the mid-Kickstarter preview copy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This explains why Scott and Rev seem to like Robert Anton Wilson so much, I suppose, other than him being catnip to obnoxious white boys

http://www.backlash.com/content/gender/1996/5-may96/wilson05.html

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What I find odd about the My Little Pony thing is that MLP was also kind of for a while in the 90s along with a few other Rainbow shows like He-Man etc.. really there in gay subcultures and there were leather boys who followed that show for a long time before the internet.

Just odd.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
[quote="The Vosgian Beast" post="460911144"]
This explains why Scott and Rev seem to like Robert Anton Wilson so much, I suppose, other than him being catnip to obnoxious white boys

He also wrote a book about how CSICOP are worse than the Spanish Inquisition for demanding proof of phenomena like astrology and psychic powers.

If you haven't read a lot about it or if you weren't there, it's kind of hard to believe how seriously a surprising number of people took psi in the 70's.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Literally The Worst posted:

Or the ol' Frank Miller trick, where you write something totally seriously, then when people say it's terrible go 'Jokes on you, I was writing a parody!" and do the rest of the series tongue in cheek.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pope Guilty posted:

He also wrote a book about how CSICOP are worse than the Spanish Inquisition for demanding proof of phenomena like astrology and psychic powers.

If you haven't read a lot about it or if you weren't there, it's kind of hard to believe how seriously a surprising number of people took psi in the 70's.
I once heard a story from my grandfather, who was old enough to remember when L. Ron Hubbard started letting out talk of this Dianetics stuff. He read the summary and thought: Wow! This sounds great! And if it's really true then in a couple of years we'll start seeing these "Clears" if it works!

"And then we didn't."

RAW is pretty incoherent here, or seems to be talking about erasing the poor, which his own west-coast libertarian habits of thought kept him from clearly perceiving. I don't think any feminist then or now would disagree that men get poo poo on constantly by the system, at least once it became clear that you were not doing this as some wedge issue poo poo to say that feminism sucks or they should call themselves humanists or whatever -- which is, of course, the problem.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

[quote="The Vosgian Beast" post="460911144"]

Wait, that isn't satire? I honestly never for a minute considered that it wasn't, like that Douglas Hofstader article about gendered language.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MikeCrotch posted:

Or the ol' Frank Miller trick, where you write something totally seriously, then when people say it's terrible go 'Jokes on you, I was writing a parody!" and do the rest of the series tongue in cheek.

That book was always a parody. A full half of his Batman work pre-DK3 is him giving DC poo poo over jacking off DKR

Edit I'm waiting to see how DK3 and the stupid one shot turn out as a whole before I make any claims about them but ASBAR is absolutely a parody of his own Batman as well as a commentary on what a piece of poo poo his Batman is

BENGHAZI 2 has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Jun 11, 2016

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

MikeCrotch posted:

Wait, what did Miller write that he called parody? He seems awful and crazy enough that he just goes "YEP I WANTED BATMAN TO KILL MUSSELMENS BECAUSE THEY'RE EVIL."

Alan Moore seems much more the "write elaborate justifications for my weirdest poo poo" type.

*cough*LOSTGIRLS*cough*

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Nessus posted:

I once heard a story from my grandfather, who was old enough to remember when L. Ron Hubbard started letting out talk of this Dianetics stuff. He read the summary and thought: Wow! This sounds great! And if it's really true then in a couple of years we'll start seeing these "Clears" if it works!

"And then we didn't."

RAW is pretty incoherent here, or seems to be talking about erasing the poor, which his own west-coast libertarian habits of thought kept him from clearly perceiving. I don't think any feminist then or now would disagree that men get poo poo on constantly by the system, at least once it became clear that you were not doing this as some wedge issue poo poo to say that feminism sucks or they should call themselves humanists or whatever -- which is, of course, the problem.
[/quote]

I remember being twelve and reading the books about psi in the middle school library, and how it was going to be the science of the next decade!

I quickly realized that that decade was the 80's, and it was 1994...

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

RAW really liked to have walk-on characters whose names rhyme with "Carl Sagan" and are smug academic skeptics who are blind, ignorant fools for placing value on scientific method. IIRC there was one story where, out of nowhere and completely unrelated to the plot, Satan reaches up from Hell and rips off Carl Sagans balls in an ironic display of impotent fury.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Hermetic posted:

Wait, what did Miller write that he called parody? He seems awful and crazy enough that he just goes "YEP I WANTED BATMAN TO KILL MUSSELMENS BECAUSE THEY'RE EVIL."

Alan Moore seems much more the "write elaborate justifications for my weirdest poo poo" type.

*cough*LOSTGIRLS*cough*

I defer all my thoughts and opinions on Lost Girls until Phil gets to it in Last War in Albion. I really love Alan Moore and Grant Morrison, for all their fault.

If you want to gently mock any of their stuff, though, The Mindscape of Alan Moore is hilarious.

I loved Illuminatus! as a kid. Was really into the historical Illuminatus! about the Masons until it turned into libertarian propaganda. I did have a Pope Card back in the day, though... Discordianism was all the rage at my high school.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Count Chocula posted:

I defer all my thoughts and opinions on Lost Girls until Phil gets to it in Last War in Albion. I really love Alan Moore and Grant Morrison, for all their fault.

If you want to gently mock any of their stuff, though, The Mindscape of Alan Moore is hilarious.

I loved Illuminatus! as a kid. Was really into the historical Illuminatus! about the Masons until it turned into libertarian propaganda. I did have a Pope Card back in the day, though... Discordianism was all the rage at my high school.

Mindscape is awesome. It's a dude who is full of both himself and poo poo rambling about magic comic books for 2 hours. I own a copy on DVD.

Hell, it's worth the cost just for his creeptastic performance of Rorschach's Journal.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There was a recent shooting in a gay nightclub in Orlando that killed 20 people. Rev wants to take this moment to remind us all that he is above human politics

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/741956924279824384

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/741965800937017344

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hermetic posted:

*cough*LOSTGIRLS*cough*

All Star Batman and Robin

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

There was a recent shooting in a gay nightclub in Orlando that killed 20 people. Rev wants to take this moment to remind us all that he is above human politics

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/741956924279824384

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/741965800937017344

Note: This is how Rev reacted to a comic about feminism

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/680874654387560448

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/680876949225517056

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

This is of course a tone-deaf rewrite of actual humour, Why the Bombings Mean That We Must Support My Politics, which was originally about Eric Raymond going bugfuck after 9/11 but remains widely applicable.

(I used to have an Adequacy writer as a coworker. He wrote a lot of their Linux stuff. Like me, he was constructed entirely of memes and spoke non-Internet-person as a non-fluent second language.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

This is of course a tone-deaf rewrite of actual humour, Why the Bombings Mean That We Must Support My Politics, which was originally about Eric Raymond going bugfuck after 9/11 but remains widely applicable.

(I used to have an Adequacy writer as a coworker. He wrote a lot of their Linux stuff. Like me, he was constructed entirely of memes and spoke non-Internet-person as a non-fluent second language.)

There's something to be said about post-tragedy articles that use said tragedy as an excuse to try to recruit as hard as possible and that bit does it well, but Rev and the LW example both turn not taking a moralistic stance into an obnoxious moralistic stance.

It's another installment of "humans are social animals. This is BAD"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
hello friends

how fares reaction