Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Eh, I'm fine with everyone being upset because it might cause some changes to the way the primary system works. (It's a really odd system)

I've also been seeing news articles lately that the RNC might still go with someone besides Trump, which I am hoping for because that shitshow will be fantastic.

That being said, holy poo poo are there a lot of people who think that the primaries work completely differently than they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

goose fleet posted:

Bernie is basically the left-wing Ron Paul

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jadebullet posted:

Eh, I'm fine with everyone being upset because it might cause some changes to the way the primary system works. (It's a really odd system)

I've also been seeing news articles lately that the RNC might still go with someone besides Trump, which I am hoping for because that shitshow will be fantastic.

That being said, holy poo poo are there a lot of people who think that the primaries work completely differently than they do.

I'd rather see Trump as the nominee, honestly. I don't predict a Republican win no matter who gets picked, but Trump is likely going to be a weak candidate once it comes down to the general just because of the sheer vitriol he generates even among Republicans. He's easy to defeat and he and his supporters will go ballistic when they lose.

And if the RNC just picks some random we've never heard of (or a guy who's admitted to dropping out) just to keep Trump out of the running, the Trump contingent may very well refuse to support him on principle after the party reveals that it really is just doing whatever the hell it wants regardless of its electorate.

Really, no matter what happens the Republican side has epically torpedoed its campaign as the culmination of decades of cultivating a base of crazy right-wing fundamentalists to get more votes. The only thing I could see leading to Hillary losing is if she literally eats a human being at a debate.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I'd rather see Trump as the nominee, honestly. I don't predict a Republican win no matter who gets picked, but Trump is likely going to be a weak candidate once it comes down to the general just because of the sheer vitriol he generates even among Republicans. He's easy to defeat and he and his supporters will go ballistic when they lose.

And if the RNC just picks some random we've never heard of (or a guy who's admitted to dropping out) just to keep Trump out of the running, the Trump contingent may very well refuse to support him on principle after the party reveals that it really is just doing whatever the hell it wants regardless of its electorate.

Really, no matter what happens the Republican side has epically torpedoed its campaign as the culmination of decades of cultivating a base of crazy right-wing fundamentalists to get more votes. The only thing I could see leading to Hillary losing is if she literally eats a human being at a debate.

I sometimes like to peek in over at the terrible right-wing conservative "news" sites like RedState when a news story breaks to get some schadenfreude based on how upset they are that things aren't going their way, and I was surprised to see equal amounts of Hilary and Trump bashing. They wanted Ted Cruz so bad.

I admit I haven't paid too much attention to how much the Republicans hate Trump, or the odds that they'll put up someone besides Trump just to lock him out. Probably a topic for another thread, though I don't know where.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BJPaskoff posted:

I sometimes like to peek in over at the terrible right-wing conservative "news" sites like RedState when a news story breaks to get some schadenfreude based on how upset they are that things aren't going their way, and I was surprised to see equal amounts of Hilary and Trump bashing. They wanted Ted Cruz so bad.

I admit I haven't paid too much attention to how much the Republicans hate Trump, or the odds that they'll put up someone besides Trump just to lock him out. Probably a topic for another thread, though I don't know where.

It's hard to get a feel for the end result unless you look at the numbers for the different sides and compare them. If I remember correctly, Trump is only leading specifically in the GOP voting segment. Among the nation in general, Hilary's got a bigger share of potential votes. I think I read an article from the early primary voting where it was pointed out that Hilary won a state by a larger margin than all of the votes Trump received in the same state.

Prester Jane has a really neat thread where she uses her experience being raised among cults, conspiracy theorists, and crazy fundamentalists to describe the inner workings of authoritarian groups like Trump supporters, sovereign citizens, and Scientologists. She actually made some eerie predictions early in the thread, like guessing the Malheur Standoff months before it would occur. More relevant to this discussion, she and others talked a lot about exactly how the Republican Party got to the point that a crazy fascist businessman with no political experience who's openly and unashamedly a racist has become their front runner.

The answer goes back all the way to McCarthyism, but the main point is that the Republicans started embracing the right-wing fringe at a time when Democrats were pushing away the left-wing fringe. Originally the parties were much closer together and many Republicans are well-regarded or at least considered fairly moderate even today, like Eisenhower and John Lindsay. However around the time of Watergate the GOP began openly pandering to fringe groups like Christian fundamentalists and racists to try and get votes. There was no real deep strategy behind it, just an attempt to get the support of a voting bloc that's normally ignored because they're too distasteful to associate with.

This reached its peak when George W. Bush got elected twice and we all saw the results of a Christian fundamentalist with a boner for blowing up the Middle East like his daddy got into power. And now Donald Trump, a man distinguished by little other than a string of awful business decisions (most of his "success" is on the backs of other people's work and his own decisions are notoriously lovely) and extremely bad behavior toward other people, is the man the base wants to elect as president.

The guys who are actually in power on the Republican side are now scrambling to figure out what the hell went wrong. The base of crazies and idiots they cultivated has now taken over the power in the party. The lunatics are running the asylum. The short-sighted decision to try and get power by appealing to awful people when nobody else would has backfired spectacularly, and the GOP is currently in the process of eating itself alive from the inside-out. I legitimately would not be surprised if we see the party fragment or totally change hands within our lifetimes.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ok that Ice Town burn was pretty :lol:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Come on this one's kinda funny.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

It's hard to get a feel for the end result unless you look at the numbers for the different sides and compare them. If I remember correctly, Trump is only leading specifically in the GOP voting segment. Among the nation in general, Hilary's got a bigger share of potential votes. I think I read an article from the early primary voting where it was pointed out that Hilary won a state by a larger margin than all of the votes Trump received in the same state.

Prester Jane has a really neat thread where she uses her experience being raised among cults, conspiracy theorists, and crazy fundamentalists to describe the inner workings of authoritarian groups like Trump supporters, sovereign citizens, and Scientologists. She actually made some eerie predictions early in the thread, like guessing the Malheur Standoff months before it would occur. More relevant to this discussion, she and others talked a lot about exactly how the Republican Party got to the point that a crazy fascist businessman with no political experience who's openly and unashamedly a racist has become their front runner.

The answer goes back all the way to McCarthyism, but the main point is that the Republicans started embracing the right-wing fringe at a time when Democrats were pushing away the left-wing fringe. Originally the parties were much closer together and many Republicans are well-regarded or at least considered fairly moderate even today, like Eisenhower and John Lindsay. However around the time of Watergate the GOP began openly pandering to fringe groups like Christian fundamentalists and racists to try and get votes. There was no real deep strategy behind it, just an attempt to get the support of a voting bloc that's normally ignored because they're too distasteful to associate with.

This reached its peak when George W. Bush got elected twice and we all saw the results of a Christian fundamentalist with a boner for blowing up the Middle East like his daddy got into power. And now Donald Trump, a man distinguished by little other than a string of awful business decisions (most of his "success" is on the backs of other people's work and his own decisions are notoriously lovely) and extremely bad behavior toward other people, is the man the base wants to elect as president.

The guys who are actually in power on the Republican side are now scrambling to figure out what the hell went wrong. The base of crazies and idiots they cultivated has now taken over the power in the party. The lunatics are running the asylum. The short-sighted decision to try and get power by appealing to awful people when nobody else would has backfired spectacularly, and the GOP is currently in the process of eating itself alive from the inside-out. I legitimately would not be surprised if we see the party fragment or totally change hands within our lifetimes.

Cool

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Chomp8645 posted:

Come on this one's kinda funny.

It got a chuckle from me but I am fairly easily amused

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

chitoryu12 posted:

[War on Men] D-Day Facts: 9000 soldiers died that day fighting for their freedom on Omaha Beach, none of which were female soldiers

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

chitoryu12 posted:

You're basically a horrific cross between Fishmech (endless sperg eternal) and Landerig (so tone-deafly chill that I punch my own face). Stop posting your essay-length opinion pieces that are tangentially-relevant to the thread at best and blog-post blathering at worst. This is the Idiots on Social Media thread, not "Hay guys let's post post poast about the loving 2016 election" molten salt reactor. For fucks sake, even with you on ignore you still get quoted by idiots and force me to see your lovely, lovely posts.

in before "u mad bro :troll:"

edit: ^^^^ Bless you, LoB.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

They censored the wrong part of the photo

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

hackbunny posted:

There's a right part of that photo?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It got a chuckle from me but I am fairly easily amused

Yeah. A set of plastic keys will keep you entertained for hours.

Edit: because you are a bird, you see.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bored posted:

Yeah. A set of plastic keys will keep you entertained for hours.

Edit: because you are a bird, you see.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Weatherman posted:

You're basically a horrific cross between Fishmech (endless sperg eternal) and Landerig (so tone-deafly chill that I punch my own face). Stop posting your essay-length opinion pieces that are tangentially-relevant to the thread at best and blog-post blathering at worst. This is the Idiots on Social Media thread, not "Hay guys let's post post poast about the loving 2016 election" molten salt reactor. For fucks sake, even with you on ignore you still get quoted by idiots and force me to see your lovely, lovely posts.

in before "u mad bro :troll:"

edit: ^^^^ Bless you, LoB.

you seem like a rude dude
I for one appreciate the contextual information.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Is being acknowledged for your achievements like being the Highlander where we can only have one person being praised at once ir

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

chitoryu12 posted:

She actually made some eerie predictions early in the thread, like guessing the Malheur Standoff months before it would occur.
Did she predict the dildos?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cash crab posted:

Is being acknowledged for your achievements like being the Highlander where we can only have one person being praised at once ir

It wouldn't be so stupid if the military wasn't praised literally 24/7 online and in the media for doing the Ultimate Service TM for our nation. Like, it's rare that a day goes by when you don't see the military being called the only true heroes ever.

John Big Booty posted:

Did she predict the dildos?

I don't think anyone predicted that dildos and lube would play a major part in an attempted terrorist action in Oregon.

To be honest, 2016 has been a really weird loving year.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The boxer was MUSLIM?!?!?!?!?!? oh gently caress

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
How is it physically possible to adequately honor the deaths that happen every day? It seems like there would have to be a 24 hour news service just to cover the funerals of cops, firemen, soldiers, and famous people alone.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

None of this is worth reading, everyone involved is dumber for having been involved, and I really wish the Social Fixer Anonymizer still worked:

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
:byodame: I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS OK

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

But wait there's more...

This is from a comment war of another person who shared the image. Highlights include praising the initial image as subtle, and an unironic "are country."

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

That... is not a budgerigar.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

My friend has one of those fuckers and it's learned to laugh. If other people start laughing around her she starts to chuckle in her creepy little bird voice and it's kind of horrible. Cute, but horrible. Also if anyone opens up a bag of potato chips she will hunt them down and steal as many chips as she can. They are terribly clever birds.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Blind Pineapple posted:

But wait there's more...

This is from a comment war of another person who shared the image. Highlights include praising the initial image as subtle, and an unironic "are country."

"It's disgusting how people nowadays are only interested in pop culture."

*spells Kardashians correctly, "our" incorrectly*

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pink is being a dumbass overall but I'm still not surprised it ended with "GMO bad because Monsanto!!!"

Even if all the Monsanto hysteria were 100% correct and not at all misconstrued it's still a silly argument against GMO. It's like saying all computers – everything from a typical desktop to a cellphone to whatever microchips control the features of your car – are bad because Microsoft is accused of violating antitrust laws sometimes.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Jun 11, 2016

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

hackbunny posted:

If they didn't censor the coffee table, think what horrors must be under those pixels.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Massively re-engineering the food supply.
Not at all.

Zero public oversight.
Aside from falling under numerous agricultural and food regulations, like anything else.

This isn't rocket science.
We've gained in the last 20 years the ability to instantly modify organisms to suit our own needs. The philosophical and moral implications of that are so easy to understand you guyz!

Loads of people have legit questions.
I doubt it.

But I guess I'm anti science so it doesn't matter.
See 'but I guess im a racist for being concerned about immigration'.

I see this a lot on social media, where someone's 'concerns' are actually met in reality, but are ignored. It doesn't matter how many tests or regulations are in place, or how innocuous a particular stand of GMO is - there will always be 'questions'.

I've seen it numerous times in this thread. Vaccines come to mind - how often do you read that they contain mercury, which is 1) harmless in the quantities given 2) not even used any more? It's a non issue that's still an issue. Then there's the gendered bathroom laws. Good news! The thing you think your wives and daughters need protecting from, doesn't actually happen! No laws are required! But ARE CHILDRENS!

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Jun 11, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

guy from my town dies in iraq and they name a fuckin bridge after him, where's my bridge huh

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Woops something I said might be considered feminst, sound the alarms.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Alaois posted:

guy from my town dies in iraq and they name a fuckin bridge after him, where's my bridge huh

Well there's your problem: you aren't dead yet.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Ularg posted:

Woops something I said might be considered feminst, sound the alarms.

It remains entertaining to me that "fag" now means "interested in women."

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Okay this one is great:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Idiots on Social Media: Delete me if you want. I have plenty of friends.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Puppy Time posted:

It remains entertaining to me that "fag" now means "interested in women."

No, it means "cares about things I don't care about" which in this case includes the feelings or rights of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

budgieinspector posted:

That... is not a budgerigar.

Keep up the good work