Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andarel posted:

The flip side is that it loses the horrid scribbles that replace the art while he was starting his main hiatus...

Well, if the scanlations use the volumes it's generally a lot better, since the art got redrawn for most (all?) of those. But since a lot of the scanlations you'll find are from the SJ releases, that can be a problem admittedly. (Alternatively, getting the Viz releases works pretty well.)

Still, I'd recommend the manga first, new anime second, and old anime not at all myself if you're hoping to get up to speed enough to continue the series post-anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
If you're down for a long haul I would recommend the anime, if you just want to blaze through it all at once then the manga would probably be the way to go. You can't go wrong with either, really.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, Toonami is now showing the dubbed 2011 anime, and the voices are pretty good.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
i'm just saying you miss out on stuff like

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I haven't read the manga yet besides the stuff after the anime, but generally, manga is the superior medium,

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Manga has a unique art style really and handles dark moments a bit better vs it's always bright/cheery in anime. However starting the chimera ant arc I found it somewhat draggy but I did go anime > manga.

I still hope for a sequel to the anime from future manga chapters but that will take some time :coffee:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Wild Horses posted:

i'm just saying you miss out on stuff like

I thought they handled that moment specifically really well.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

yeah i'm not saying it's bad, but its rare that the anime does the kinds of distortions and changes in tone the manga does
it's because the medium is different, but it's the one aspect of hxh that i really come back for again and again

edit: i mean just look at that abyss of an eye

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'm still upset that they took away Kite's introduction from the beginning of the series. So much emotional weight lost.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Read the first chapter of the manga then watch the anime. Kite problem solved!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nahxela posted:

I'm still upset that they took away Kite's introduction from the beginning of the series. So much emotional weight lost.

Not really. Kite is introduced so early on and without much impact that he's pretty much completely forgettable by the time you reach the Ant arc.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Not really. Kite is introduced so early on and without much impact that he's pretty much completely forgettable by the time you reach the Ant arc.

He's literally the entire reason Gon even wants to become a Hunter, the reason why Gon even ends ups wanting to go after his dad and alot of why Gon is so angry in the Chimera Ant arc is based entirely off that fact, as opposed to the new anime where he barely knows him at all and gets super mad because...? I mean yeah he's a friend at that point and growing into a mentor, so I'd expect him to be angry, but the kind've anger he showed would've only been reserved if Kite had been someone as important as he was supposed to be initially.

Kite wasn't there for long, but the impact he had on Gon is a very important aspect they never should have removed. You don't see Shanks in One Piece much either, but you certainly don't remove the scene where he inspires Luffy to go out to sea and become a pirate just because of how rarely you see him now do you?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Asuron posted:

He's literally the entire reason Gon even wants to become a Hunter, the reason why Gon even ends ups wanting to go after his dad and alot of why Gon is so angry in the Chimera Ant arc is based entirely off that fact, as opposed to the new anime where he barely knows him at all and gets super mad because...? I mean yeah he's a friend at that point and growing into a mentor, so I'd expect him to be angry, but the kind've anger he showed would've only been reserved if Kite had been someone as important as he was supposed to be initially.

Kite wasn't there for long, but the impact he had on Gon is a very important aspect they never should have removed. You don't see Shanks in One Piece much either, but you certainly don't remove the scene where he inspires Luffy to go out to sea and become a pirate just because of how rarely you see him now do you?

Kite is important for Gon. The anime does not change this. They merely change that scene from the first to a flashback that plays after Gon warps to Kite.

The only thing having that scene at the very beginning could do is introduce him early to give more emotional attachment for the viewer as Nahxela suggested, but he's there for such a short time that that can't really happen. And introducing him then having literally nothing to do with him until 60 episodes in is just kind of lovely writing, so it's best that they moved that scene.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Kite is important for Gon. The anime does not change this. They merely change that scene from the first to a flashback that plays after Gon warps to Kite.

The only thing having that scene at the very beginning could do is introduce him early to give more emotional attachment for the viewer as Nahxela suggested, but he's there for such a short time that that can't really happen. And introducing him then having literally nothing to do with him until 60 episodes in is just kind of lovely writing, so it's best that they moved that scene.

He's important as so far that he knows Gons father. His role of inspiring Gon to actually become a hunter and getting him to look for his dad is basically the entire reason Gon does everything he ends up doing. You can't just replace that with one episode of "Kite knew my dad and thinks he was a really cool guy" and place it at a different spot and expect it to work out, which is what they did. It's not even close to the same thing.

Also once again, a character not showing up for long periods of time is not an excuse to remove them, especially if they play that kind've role. .

Asuron fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 11, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kite plays no real role until the Chimera Arc. I mean he tells him info that he doesn't need and already knows in the anime.

I like Kite but that scene isn't why

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Neither does Shank in One Piece other than inspiring Luffy and that's all you know about him for ages. You could make the same argument that you could skip it because the character could already have known about the One Piece, but then Luffys motivations and actions throughout the story wouldn't make any sense at all.

The same thing applies here, by removing that scene , you're removing a huge part of the character that not only informs his decision to do what he does at the beginning, but also makes the level of his fury at losing Kite later on hard to understand. The relationship is not the same, so the level of Gons emotional attachment doesn't make sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A friend of mine didn't ready HxH and only saw the anime and basically got the same Kite experience as I did. People overstate how important that one bit is especially when you're talking about literally solid days of episodes in-between.

Asuron posted:

Neither does Shank in One Piece other than inspiring Luffy and that's all you know about him for ages.

It really isn't the same at all. Shanks is an incredibly important part of Luffy's life. Kite isn't even really mentioned.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Literally all you have to do is mention to an anime-watcher "oh yeah there was a scene in the beginning with Kite where he meets Gon as a kid but that got cut for the anime" and there you go, the story is told.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is less than ideal, but they streamlined a lot of the early story to get to the good stuff faster. There were some interesting parts in the hunter exam arc, but every following arc was much better. Well, maybe not the brief killua rescue arc. That one wasn't great, really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Asuron posted:

Neither does Shank in One Piece other than inspiring Luffy and that's all you know about him for ages. You could make the same argument that you could skip it because the character could already have known about the One Piece, but then Luffys motivations and actions throughout the story wouldn't make any sense at all.

The same thing applies here, by removing that scene , you're removing a huge part of the character that not only informs his decision to do what he does at the beginning, but also makes the level of his fury at losing Kite later on hard to understand. The relationship is not the same, so the level of Gons emotional attachment doesn't make sense.

Gon doesn't need to be inspired, he wants to find his dad so he follows his footsteps. That is all you need. Plus let's be real,while I do like Gons freakout scenehis weird attachment is forced as gently caress. In the Manga and anime

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think it's really forced. Gon is a dude who forms incredibly strong attachments on basically a moment's notice. He will do insane poo poo for guys he just met.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well either way you feel about the addition of that scene doesn't change that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He freaked out because of his intense guilt. Gon knew full well that his presence is what held Kite back. No one was willing to lie to him to say otherwise, either. Pitou didn't even have nen at that point so in a straight one on one fight Kite might have had a shot at beating her if he hadn't lost an arm. While trying to escape from that guilt Gon just got more and more extreme and obsessive until it ended in even more tragedy. And then there was the final kick in the teeth where Kite was reborn as an ant so everything Gon did was completely meaningless.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

Literally all you have to do is mention to an anime-watcher "oh yeah there was a scene in the beginning with Kite where he meets Gon as a kid but that got cut for the anime" and there you go, the story is told.

actually you'll just say "This scene was at the beginning of the story but they moved it because its not relevant for 80 episodes"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haha, I forgot about how Chrollo supposedly changed clothes to blend into the audience. How the gently caress does that work? Is this dude so god drat fast that he can put on pants and a shirt without Hisoka noticing? Also, it seems like at the very least Hisoka would have noticed a bunch of copies popping into existence in the stands and would have been able to track down Chrollo based upon that. I think that a normal person could possibly notice that, much less some super fighter dude like Hisoka.

Which sort of goes back to a point I made in an earlier post about Chrollo being able to beat Hisoka in a straight fight if he's so ridiculously fast that he can run around making copies without Hisoka being able to follow him.

edit: I hope that Phinks ends up kicking Hisoka's rear end in an unexpected upset. Phinks is the coolest Ryodan member.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 11, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
All he had to do was steal a jacket and a hat. That is what the copy Hisoka killed was wearing. It wasn't like anyone could identify him by the pants he was wearing. Plus, he could change his appearance with one hand. Giving his appearance to someone else was what the left hand did, so it was one of those bookmark-only things. He could rapidly run around and create puppets while also repeatedly changing his own appearance and then double back to put stamps and seals on them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If Hisoka knows how Phinks' ability works then Phinks is boned.

edit: goddamn it i should have said phinks is phucked

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 11, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Phinks doesn't need his ability, he can just be a total boss and break Hisoka's neck with one hand like he did those mooks in the Yorknew arc

Serious Frolicking posted:

All he had to do was steal a jacket and a hat. That is what the copy Hisoka killed was wearing. It wasn't like anyone could identify him by the pants he was wearing. Plus, he could change his appearance with one hand. Giving his appearance to someone else was what the left hand did, so it was one of those bookmark-only things. He could rapidly run around and create puppets while also repeatedly changing his own appearance and then double back to put stamps and seals on them.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about how transfer student worked for some reason. Still doesn't quite explain why Hisoka couldn't notice a bunch of people popping into existence (and people around them reacting).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about how transfer student worked for some reason. Still doesn't quite explain why Hisoka couldn't notice a bunch of people popping into existence (and people around them reacting).

Oh, he totally did notice them reacting. He saw a bunch of puppets in the audience but was unable to see Chrollo doing it. Everyone in the audience was watching him, including Chrollo. So, everyone there was very clear on where Hisoka was and where he was looking at all times.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I wonder if Chrollo did any fortunes before this fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

If Hisoka knows how Phinks' ability works then Phinks is boned.

edit: goddamn it i should have said phinks is phucked

While Phink's ability is quite strong he does not really need it all the time. Phinks is physically superior to Hisoka (In fact he is the only current troupe member that is.) and an enhancer. A lot of Bungee Gum's power if he sticks it to someone comes down to the fact that Hisoka is phyically stronger then them. If he were to say pull Phinks next to him that could actully be pretty bad for him. He has other ways to fight Phinks.

The biggest problem if he were to fight Phinks is that Phinks and Feitan pretty much never leave each other's side.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nah, I meant that he could easily bind Phinks' right arm enough to prevent it from rotating. But I kind of doubt Hisoka knows that.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TWIST FIST posted:

I wouldnt really call it cheating considering there werent any rules in the first place

And Hisoka wanted him to tryhard and give it his best. And he did.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Phinks is the coolest Ryodan member.

thats franklin youre thinking of :colbert:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nah, I meant that he could easily bind Phinks' right arm enough to prevent it from rotating. But I kind of doubt Hisoka knows that.

Hisoka was able to share some of the Troupe's powers with Kurapika back in Yorknew, but I don't remember if it stated whose powers it was he knew. Though Machi, Kortopi, Shizuku, Shalnark, and Franklin are probably among them; the first has worked on him directly, while the latter four have simple, obvious powers and at least some were used in front of him. I'd have to go check; I only know for sure that Pakunoda's power wasn't one of them because Kurapika had to learn that one from Killua and Gon. I wouldn't be surprised if Phinks was one of the ones he didn't know, though, since his power is a combat one, so it's not something he'd just see. Not many reasons for Phinks to rev up and obliterate something when they were hanging out at the hideout and all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Plus Phinks is a huge jerk and he probably wouldn't trust Hisoka enough to tell him the weather.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Well, would you?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

hisoka should be 50/50 with a strong enhancer, since he can manipulate you very well with bungee gum and set traps with cards and the like, even though he's going to be weaker
phinks hatsu is pretty much nullified though, but that doesn't really matter since enhancers are so strong

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

Well, would you?

It's rubbery outside with a chance of gum and it looks like murder has been forecasted for the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

When I read the manga from the start many years ago and when the Ant arc started, I totally had forgotten who the hell was Kaito. That's how important he was.