Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'm imagining that his first step or two might be in an inch or so of water, so probably a lot cooler then the center. Though I'm not a hotspringologist so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is it legal to have a loose dog in a national park?

No, and now you know why. Most rules are in place because somebody did a thing and died or at least got severely injured.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Hope his epitaph includes "The hell I wont!" it's a lot more inspirational than "how bad am I? That was real dumb"

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Sirotan posted:

David "Stew" Kirwan

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Blind...

Were his eye balls even still in his head?

Apparently his eyeballs completely melted away in the process, so nope

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I saw another version of the story where it said his eyes were all white. I guess the lenses rapidly turned opaque from the heat, like getting cataracts but much more rapid?

edit: :barf: lol

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 10, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

an AOL chatroom posted:

A friend of mine took her kid on the mall carousel, and the ride was seeming to go on quite a bit longer than usual.

Guy was definitely asleep with his foot on the switch.

Bernie sanders sure lost it fast.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
"Hey are those power lines?"

http://youtu.be/Z-zI_VpTFp8

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sounds like that dog was pretty stupid too m8s

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
"The dog was sitting right here in the car, but then she ran off and we lobster"

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Shellfish tourists are why we can't have nice things.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

canyoneer posted:

"The dog was sitting right here in the car, but then she ran off and we lobster"

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

This reminds me of the old anarchist cookbook in the pre-internet days. One of the projects involved rigging a phone to plug into a wall socket to fry someones BBS hardware. Even in my youth I knew that was really a stupid thing that could probably never work.

Persistent rumour in those days was that the explosives recipes in that book had been deliberately edited (by THEM, presumably) so they would be dangerously unstable and explode as you tried to make them.

I wonder if any competent chemist or other expert has gone through the book to see if that was actually true.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hobnob posted:

Persistent rumour in those days was that the explosives recipes in that book had been deliberately edited (by THEM, presumably) so they would be dangerously unstable and explode as you tried to make them.

I wonder if any competent chemist or other expert has gone through the book to see if that was actually true.

The original was a bunch of unedited and untested bullshit compiled by some kid out of stuff he dug up in a public library in the late 60s. Hanlon's Razor is in full effect here. A few years ago the FBI released their files on the subject, which you can download in pdf form here. It's mostly responses to concerned letters they received shortly after publication and some memos about whether there was anything illegal about printing it. There's also some discussion about the many copycats online.

The FBI's initial analysis was that "From a technical standpoint, it is for the most part accurate but tends to over-simplify in many instances." The drug chapter is half fantasy and half stuff out of patent applications and chemical journals. The combat chapter is barely enough to springboard your own research. The bomb recipes, while generally correct, are not always complete and thus pose more of a hazard to the attacker than attackee.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 10, 2016

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Three-Phase posted:

At least everyone sorta stayed away from the fallen power lines and subsequent grass fire instead of running towards the danger.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

canyoneer posted:

Holy fuckin lol

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Three-Phase posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, I guess that's one way to arrive at prom.
"A matric dance Robinson R44 flew into electric power lines as it dropped off a couple for their Prom."

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

:stonklol:

Is that actually what it looks like?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mithaldu posted:

It's okay, he has his helmet and steeltoe boots.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Mithaldu posted:

A man about to be impaled on some re-bar? Yep!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

A man about to be impaled on some re-bar? Yep!

Proof that sometimes for those butt x-rays "I fell on it" is in fact the truth

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

dis astranagant posted:

The original was a bunch of unedited and untested bullshit compiled by some kid out of stuff he dug up in a public library in the late 60s. Hanlon's Razor is in full effect here. A few years ago the FBI released their files on the subject, which you can download in pdf form here. It's mostly responses to concerned letters they received shortly after publication and some memos about whether there was anything illegal about printing it. There's also some discussion about the many copycats online.

The FBI's initial analysis was that "From a technical standpoint, it is for the most part accurate but tends to over-simplify in many instances." The drug chapter is half fantasy and half stuff out of patent applications and chemical journals. The combat chapter is barely enough to springboard your own research. The bomb recipes, while generally correct, are not always complete and thus pose more of a hazard to the attacker than attackee.

I remember trying a couple of the things in it after I found it online somewhere in high school (late 90's.)

It had a recipe for "napalm" which, contrary to what Fight Club would have you believe, is NOT frozen OJ and gasoline...it's styrofoam and gasoline. It worked...to an extent.

It takes a LOT more styrofoam than you think to finally get a gel-like consistency, but it was sort of napalm-like. It was sticky and it burned, though nowhere near as hot as real napalm, I'm sure.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Are you saying I can't make soap and nitroglycerine from human fat?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

DrBouvenstein posted:

I remember trying a couple of the things in it after I found it online somewhere in high school (late 90's.)

It had a recipe for "napalm" which, contrary to what Fight Club would have you believe, is NOT frozen OJ and gasoline...it's styrofoam and gasoline. It worked...to an extent.

It takes a LOT more styrofoam than you think to finally get a gel-like consistency, but it was sort of napalm-like. It was sticky and it burned, though nowhere near as hot as real napalm, I'm sure.

Just don't light the stuff on fire then knock a can of it over, watching as it slowly pours into the local creek, setting the entire stream aflame.

... or so I've heard from a very stupid 12 year old who somehow survived the 90's.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Mithaldu posted:

The pit from Mortal Combat? Yeah, pretty close.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

img-rebar-through-ballsack.jpg

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Burning_Monk posted:

Just don't light the stuff on fire then knock a can of it over, watching as it slowly pours into the local creek, setting the entire stream aflame.

... or so I've heard from a very stupid 12 year old who somehow survived the 90's.

...That's awesome.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think from a BBS copycat text file rumor I learned some ninja magic to kill anyone. All you need is some of their blood and you mix it with horse poo poo, let that sit for 3 days, then dip your blowdarts in it. You now have a custom made poison to kill anyone. As a dumb kid I thought how the gently caress do you get someone's blood without them knowing it where you couldn't just take all their blood and be done with it? As an adult I'm pretty sure human poo poo would be worse but exact blood typing can't possibly be the worst part of making GBS threads up darts you stick people with.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DrBouvenstein posted:

It completely works as napalm, it sticks to anything and burns. But lacks the self igniting properties that military napalm has. And you're dripping blobs of it around, instead of spraying it around at a few hundred mph via air drops and explosives.

MariusLecter posted:

Are you saying I can't make soap and nitroglycerine from human fat?

You sure can! Glycerin can be refined from animal fats, then used to make soap. Or nitrated to make nitroglycerine.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jetz0r posted:

It completely works as napalm, it sticks to anything and burns. But lacks the self igniting properties that military napalm has. And you're dripping blobs of it around, instead of spraying it around at a few hundred mph via air drops and explosives.

It could be a lot stickier, needs something to almost aerosolize it really.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

You'd better to use an actual army manual.

http://militarynewbie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/TM-31-201-1-Unconventional-Warfare-Devices-and-Techniques-Incendiaries.pdf

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
There's a lot of history behind using fats for making explosives

(edit: so you can enjoy a tiny bit of old-timey racism too)

John Denver Hoxha fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 10, 2016

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7l_Zg_XjmU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Ah, the Poor Man's James Bond. I remember finding a bunch of really poorly scanned PDFs of the books back in like 2000-2001 on Kazaa. It kind of ignited my fascination with the Cold War survivalist movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxvr0f2N144
Watch at least the first 6 minutes of this. It's great. Purestrain late 80s D&D/John Birch nuttery. IIRC he blew off the fingers on his left hand while trying to make rifle primers as a teenager.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Krinkle posted:

horse poo poo, let that sit for 3 days, then dip your blowdarts
Not sure why it mentions the blood, but this sounds like homebrew tetanus.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

I saw another version of the story where it said his eyes were all white. I guess the lenses rapidly turned opaque from the heat, like getting cataracts but much more rapid?
IIRC boiling temperatures will denature eyeball proteins, turning them opaque like cooking a hard boiled egg. Probably just the lenses & aqueous humour in this case, but I do wonder if you could use eyeball squeezins as egg substitute in baking, like you can with blood or eel slime.

The futility of corpse retrieval from a hot spring should be apparent to anyone who has ever used a crock pot. Maybe that's the direction they should take when designing new, more effective warning signs. It's fertile ground for a photoshop contest, anyways.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are bones in the bottom of some of those anyway. Human will spice it up.

I was one of those rotten.com kids so it just reminds me of that soup guy who died in the bathtub, only it would probably be less gross.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Syd Midnight posted:

The futility of corpse retrieval from a hot spring should be apparent to anyone who has ever used a crock pot. Maybe that's the direction they should take when designing new, more effective warning signs. It's fertile ground for a photoshop contest, anyways.

'This is not a place of Honor. No highly esteemed #Selfies are taken here'.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

John Denver Hoxha posted:

There's a lot of history behind using fats for making explosives

(edit: so you can enjoy a tiny bit of old-timey racism too)

man, good ol' fashioned total war can teach us some drat good lessons about conservation and waste