Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Connor the Conure posted:

But... that's CAT5 :psyduck:

You've never heard of powerline networking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

TVs Ian posted:

You've never heard of powerline networking?
That's obviously Power over Ethernet ;)

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Right, the OSHA violation is that he should have used plenum cabling just in case it caught fire.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ewiley posted:

Right, the OSHA violation is that he should have used plenum cabling just in case it caught fire.

That's write up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Last time this came up someone had a link to examples of how every sort of cable can be a power cable if you don't like someone and want to blow up their electronics or die in a fire.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

zedprime posted:

Last time this came up someone had a link to examples of how every sort of cable can be a power cable if you don't like someone and want to blow up their electronics or die in a fire.
Was this the link?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

That sure isn't the crazy eyes of a pathological liar!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is art.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Look at this pleb that doesn't know about paralleling feeders

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Whether it was or not, this site is amazing.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Hubis posted:

The punchline is that the circuit was wires with multiple switches, right?

It was, but he taped both of them. Safety first!

I did actually commend him on his lockout procedure when I went in to get coffee.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

neonbregna posted:

Look at this pleb that doesn't know about paralleling feeders

Heh.

Paralleling connections are generally not allowed unless the wires are 1/0 (that's "one-ought") or larger. I think the CAT5 conductors are what, 24 gauge?

We did a parallel feed (dual 500kcmil) to move nine megawatts across a building. :getin:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 9, 2016

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah or worse if it is trash cable. Which more or less means the photo is staged. The effort to strip stranded tiny gauge wires, jam it in the box, then deal with it when it melts when you turn on your hole saw - its not worth it.

You can put like .3A on it safely, not counting the insulation breakdown at 110V so lol that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Cat5 can be had as low as 28 AWG.

That is 48VDC, and if you look closely the supply cables are 4/0, and the load cables are 1/0. My eye level was the top of the plastic shroud. I'm sure nothing would have happened if those little stacked plate things I am assuming are a fusing mechanism between the feed and the breakers decided to blow.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/IjrMMzl.mp4

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

hahah homeslice got a forehead knuckle

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I'm not sure what's worse. Drowning in a lake of poo poo, or drowning(?) in a scalding hot spring. One's about as gross as you can get, the other has to be utterly agonizing.

Man falls into hot spring at Yellowstone. As of the writing of the story, his body has been literally stewing in the spring at least a day because it's just too dangerous to get him.

Stay on the goddamn boardwalks!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm not sure what's worse. Drowning in a lake of poo poo, or drowning(?) in a scalding hot spring. One's about as gross as you can get, the other has to be utterly agonizing.

Man falls into hot spring at Yellowstone. As of the writing of the story, his body has been literally stewing in the spring at least a day because it's just too dangerous to get him.

And NPR had just done an interview with a few Park Rangers who were worried something exactly like this was going to happen due to people's new obsession with taking selfies with bears/moose/hot scalding lakes of water. The Rangers were saying that lately they are spending more time keeping animals safe from people now and not the other way around.

quote:

Four guys recorded in this YouTube video walked off of the boardwalk at Yellowstone's Grand Prismatic Spring, the largest hot spring in the U.S., to pose for pictures at the edge of the water. They run a channel on YouTube called High on Life where pictures like this are the norm. Part of their stick, if you will, is they took photographs of the warning signs and were literally ridiculing the warning signs. So they got it, they understood, but they willfully chose to ignore.

Zil fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 9, 2016

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i see we have some darwin award contenders

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They didn't hit a bison with their stick, did they? :ohdear:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Seems reasonable enough. If they're only putting themselves in danger, shouldn't warning signs directed to the general public just be considered suggestions for the purposes of liability or expectation of being rescued?

code:
Boiling Water Selfie Area ------->
DO NOT ENTER

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 9, 2016

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

This reminds me of the old anarchist cookbook in the pre-internet days. One of the projects involved rigging a phone to plug into a wall socket to fry someones BBS hardware. Even in my youth I knew that was really a stupid thing that could probably never work.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Pyroclastic posted:

Lets face it, boardwalks and warning signs ain't cutting it, the only way to stop tourists polluting natures wonders with their fat bloated corpses is to contain them in a system of large hamster tubes :colbert:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

This reminds me of the old anarchist cookbook in the pre-internet days. One of the projects involved rigging a phone to plug into a wall socket to fry someones BBS hardware. Even in my youth I knew that was really a stupid thing that could probably never work.

The Blotto box is the one I remember from Jolly Rogers Cookbook. Wire a generator back into the phone lines at the box. You'll cook every phone within a quarter mile and possibly kill people. I don't think anyone ever actually tried it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pyroclastic posted:

From the Yahoo article I just saw.

Death in boiling hot spring shows importance of park rules

quote:

No significant human remains were left to recover after Colin Nathaniel Scott, a former nature preserve volunteer from Portland, Oregon, went off a designated pathway and slipped on some gravel and into the water in a geyser basin dotted with boiling hot springs, authorities said.

"It's sort of dumb, if I could be so blunt, to walk off the boardwalks not knowing what you're doing," said Kenneth Sims, a University of Wyoming geology professor and member of the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory. Sims said he was speaking generally and had no direct knowledge of the circumstances of Scott's death.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

There's way too many of these stories, this one is probably my favorite (if you could call it that). I think its because the guy immediately realizes he has deeply hosed up:

"This Snopes article posted:

On 20 July 1981, 24-year-old David Allen Kirwan from La Canada, California, was driving through Yellowstone's Fountain Paint Pot thermal area with his friend Ronald Ratliff and Ratliff's dog Moosie. At about 1:00 P.M. they parked their truck to get out and take a closer look at the hot springs; Moosie escaped from the truck, ran towards nearby Celestine Pool (a thermal spring whose water temperature has been measured at over 200°), jumped in, and began
yelping.

Kirwan and Ratliff rushed over to the pool to aid the terrified dog, and Kirwan's attitude indicated he was about to go into the spring after it. According to bystanders, several people tried to warn Kirwan off by yelling at him not to jump in, but he shouted "Like hell I won't!" back at them, took two steps into the pool, and then dove head-first into the boiling spring.

Kirwan swam out to the dog and attempted to take it to shore; he then disappeared underwater, let go of the dog, and tried to climb out of the pool. Ratliff helped pull Kirwan out of the hot spring (resulting in second-degree burns to his own feet), and another visitor led Kirwan to the sidewalk as he reportedly muttered, "That was stupid. How bad am I? That was a stupid thing I did."

Kirwan was indeed in very bad shape. He was blind, and when another park visitor tried to remove one of his shoes, his skin (which was already peeling everywhere) came off with it. He sustained third-degree burns to 100% of his body, including his head, and died the following morning at a Salt Lake City hospital. (Moosie did not survive, either.)

Poor dog. :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sirotan posted:

There's way too many of these stories, this one is probably my favorite (if you could call it that). I think its because the guy immediately realizes he has deeply hosed up:

Poor dog. :(

Is it legal to have a loose dog in a national park? (I read "escaped from the truck" as "got out of the truck because the owners didn't do anything to stop it".)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is it legal to have a loose dog in a national park? (I read "escaped from the truck" as "got out of the truck because the owners didn't do anything to stop it".)

Yosemite requires pets to be leashed at all times.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

it was 1981. there were no rules.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

it was 1981. there were no rules.

Reagan :swoon:

e: Or was it Carter? Who knows.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'm kinda amazed he actually stepped into the water and then still dived in headfirst

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"100% of his body" is never a thing you want to hear when discussing burns. Imagine the internal injuries.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm kinda amazed he actually stepped into the water and then still dived in headfirst

Sounds like he made a running start, and was going too fast to slow down or to realize that suddenly his feet hurt a whole lot.

Extra bonus darwin award points for diving headfirst into shallow water.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Blind...

Were his eye balls even still in his head?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
He *swam*?

How in the gently caress do you swim in boiling water? Did the heat of it just immediately kill all the nerves relating to heat and pain or what?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm getting steamed just thinking about it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Did steam come out of his ears?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Their only mistake was pulling him out before he reached an internal temperature of 165°F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I bet he felt pretty poached afterwards.