Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How is the TMNT: Casey & April miniseries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

I will say when I first started reading this forum it took me forever to figure out how to follow that poo poo. I'm not suggesting you curate that list or whatever, I just wish there was a place that listed just what the new singles were, not all the variants and reprints and trades and whatever.

Comicvine posts a weekly list without reprints and miscellaneous stuff like posters.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/new-comics-this-week-6-1-16/1100-155564/

I did try for a couple of weeks to strip out all of the "Lady Death #48 Cover F Sexy Wraparound"s from the lists, but that's real tedious.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 3, 2016

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Uthor posted:

How is the TMNT: Casey & April miniseries?

Not a great way to kick off their 51-100 story line. It wasnt *bad* but the art was awful and the story was so-so.

It's one of the reasons I'm going to wait until around issue 75ish before I binge from issue 51.

I loving loved the first 50 issues though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Veg posted:

Not a great way to kick off their 51-100 story line. It wasnt *bad* but the art was awful and the story was so-so.

It's one of the reasons I'm going to wait until around issue 75ish before I binge from issue 51.

I loving loved the first 50 issues though.

If you told me a few hours earlier!

Yeah, I loved issue #50 and am down the buying the main series. I pick and choose the micro series.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Uthor posted:

If you told me a few hours earlier!

Yeah, I loved issue #50 and am down the buying the main series. I pick and choose the micro series.

Have you read the first issue of Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything?

It was okay! The first few pages really threw off the pacing but I think as a 4 issue story it will get better. Built on what the micro set up. I also loving love Ben Bates art.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
Where should you start if you want to read TMNT comics?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The first vol of the current series. It's on sell for like 3.99 a pop at comixology.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah the current series is its own contiunity so you don't have to care about any previous comics, but it also does its own thing so hard that you're best starting at the beginning. Some of the micro-series and minis are kind of required reading, too, I'm sure there's a reading guide somewhere. You definitely can't skip Secret History of the Foot Clan, for example.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Where should you start if you want to read TMNT comics?

Issue one of the IDW series.

The reading order I recommend is:
1-8, Leonardo micro issue, 8-20, Secret History of the Foot Clan 1-4, 21-24, Alopex micro issue, 25, Bebop and Rocksteady micro issue, 26-37, Turtles In Time 1-4, 38-50. Phew, sounds more complex than it actually is.

The micro series are side issues covering main characters but entirely skippable. The Leo microissue is the best single issue in the whole series, imo. The Secret History and Turtles in Time 4 parters are just additional issues to the main series and are both fuckin awesome. Don't skip those.

There are other microissues, one for each main character, but the ones I listed are the only ones really important.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The way the IDW series comes out has been confusing enough to stop people from reading it. It's super annoying, especially how they collected the Heroes and Villains micro series separately in the trades instead of slotting them in where they belong. But, it's also really good, so I'd recommend getting the main series and the two micro series and whatever mini series strike your fancy. The writers are picking and choosing the best parts of all the incarnations and putting together a distilled version of The Turtles, "done right".

I don't think it holds up super great as a whole, but I'd recommend reading at least the first few issues of the original series to see how it all started. Especially if you've read Miller's Daredevil run. The Shredder storyline is good, at least.

https://m.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Black-White-Classics-Vol-1/digital-comic/25927

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I ALREADY HAVE NEXTWAVE AND HAVE READ IT FOUR TIMES

Mover posted:

Superior Foes, too.

Will do, I've only got the first volume but I will keep reading as it's very good

Mr Hootington posted:

Giffen Defenders mini series.

Ty

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's really fun right now? I took a break at the start of Secret Wars and wanna catch up. I loved a lot of the more fun-centric Marvel NOW stuff (Ms. Marvel, Loki Agent of Asgard, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl etc) and Superior Foes and Immortal Iron Fist are maybe the most fun I've had reading comics. Is Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur any good? The first issue didn't really grab me. What about the new Power Man & Iron Fist? On the other end, what's Daredevil up to? I wasn't really feeling the bright colors of daytime San Francisco.

(Easiest for me to find Marvel titles but I'm open to other stuff.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you liked Superior Foes, the team is now doing The Fix at Image.

I really like Moon Girl, but if you didn't like the first issue, it's probably not for you.
Did you try Silver Surfer in Marvel NOW? That and Ms. Marvel are still going and are still really bright and sweet.

How about Prez at DC? Cartoony American politics satire in the future. I think the trade is out now.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 5, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's really fun right now? I took a break at the start of Secret Wars and wanna catch up. I loved a lot of the more fun-centric Marvel NOW stuff (Ms. Marvel, Loki Agent of Asgard, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl etc) and Superior Foes and Immortal Iron Fist are maybe the most fun I've had reading comics. Is Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur any good? The first issue didn't really grab me. What about the new Power Man & Iron Fist? On the other end, what's Daredevil up to? I wasn't really feeling the bright colors of daytime San Francisco.

(Easiest for me to find Marvel titles but I'm open to other stuff.)

Ms. Marvel is still great. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is one of the best titles Marvel's putting out. Howard the Duck is essential if you're looking for fun-centric Marvel. New Avengers is pretty fun and good (and has Squirrel Girl on it, which is why I mentioned it), ANAD Avengers is pure Avengers-rear end Avengersing. A-Force has quickly turned into one of the best teamup books Marvel's putting out, in part because it's so joyous and pure.

Vision is a must-read comic. Period.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm assuming the Fix doesn't play it fully straight, is that accurate? (I actually love some good straight-up crime comics but that'd be such a waste with the Superior Foes guys)

What's the deal with Vision?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nah. The Fix is very funny. Go for it. (e: Stray Bullets is in a similar vein. THAT is a great entertaining/hard hitting crime book.)

Vision is the best thing going and a hugely tragic comic, which you can get fun out of if you have a real gallows sense of humor.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's arguably the best comic being put out from any publisher, Big Two or indie, and if not that then certainly in the top three.

Basically the Vision decides to build a family for himself, they move into the suburbs, and things go horrifically wrong. Imagine an extended episode of Black Mirror/Twilight Zone, and that's Vision. It's incredible.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
If you're not reading Vision then you're cheating yourself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Power Man and iron fist rules. Definitely get that. Maybe check out the first issue of Four Kids Enter a Bank too.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
hi. i have been reading/rereading alot of junji ito's work recently (gyo, uzumaki, etc), and also was recommended black hole by charles burns, which i thoroughly enjoyed. if some people could recommend me some similar things to either of those i would be grateful. thanks

edit: i am already getting a copy of the drifting classroom by kazuo umezu

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 6, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm thinking about checking out Midas Flesh, how is it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I'm thinking about checking out Midas Flesh, how is it?

I really enjoyed it. Lots of good drama and sci-fi tropes and there's a character who's a dinosaur.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

10 Beers posted:

Good grief, I'm having a hell of a time keeping up with issue release dates and new books. For Marvel, where's the best place to keep up with this stuff? I always end up waiting till the end of the month to get that month's books and then going on a mad scramble, because I'm not sure when they're released.
Last page, but I use Comixology's Pullist for this. Automatically emails you every Wednesday to let you know which new issues are coming out that week.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I recently read and really enjoyed Superman Birthright.

Are there any good longer Superman runs that build off a similar classic superman feel without going into insane reign of superman type stuff?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jordan7hm posted:

Are there any good longer Superman runs that build off a similar classic superman feel without going into insane reign of superman type stuff?

All-Star Superman.

Always All Star Superman.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigRed0427 posted:

All-Star Superman.

Always All Star Superman.

It was good, but not really what I'm looking for. All Star Superman is very much a Morrison book first.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Jordan7hm posted:

John's various issues where very good. Is that the type of stuff you want?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

American Alien.

Greg Pak's run on Action Comics from #25-40 is fantastic and classic but has a Doomsday crossover in the middle. It's a better Doomsday story than most (Charles Soule's Superman/Wonder Woman, which it's crossing with was pretty decent) but that might put you off.
Try their first trade's worth to start. It's really great.
From #41 the series starts losing artist Aaron Kuder and wraps up crossing over with the other super titles which were all pretty bad by then.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 11, 2016

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I recently subbed to Marvel Unlimited and have read through Thor: God of Thunder and the follow-up that introduces the new lady Thor, but I'm not sure what series is supposed to follow that. I think it stopped at #8 where her identity is revealed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hamsystem posted:

I recently subbed to Marvel Unlimited and have read through Thor: God of Thunder and the follow-up that introduces the new lady Thor, but I'm not sure what series is supposed to follow that. I think it stopped at #8 where her identity is revealed.

Thor: God of Thunder to Thor to Thors* to Mighty Thor.

*Secret Wars tie-in that's fairly important to the overall narratives of both SW and the Thor story and the lady Thor in it is the main continuity Thor.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hamsystem posted:

Read the SW tie-in Thors then The Mighty Thor. Jason Aaron remains the writer on Thor so just look up his chronological bibliography. You'll probably also want to read ANAD Avengers since there's a reveal dealing directly with Thor you probably want to be aware of.

Endless Mike posted:

Thor: God of Thunder to Thor to Thors* to Mighty Thor.

To be clear if you know who Thor's secret identity is you should be right before Thors.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Does anyone have an Ultimate Spider-Man reading list?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Toxxupation posted:

Does anyone have an Ultimate Spider-Man reading list?

It's less complicated than it seems

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-53
Ultimate Six
Ultimate Spider-Man 54-133
Spider-Man: Requiem
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man 1-15 (Post ultimatum relaunch)
Ultimate Spider-Man 150-160 (just goes back to original numbering)

There's no much tie in or anything like that. Ultimatum technically but don't read Ultimatum. Some of Ultimate Team Up bleeds into the main book, but it's almost mostly non-canon so it's not essential.

Miles takes over after that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What do I read if I want to fold Miles Morales' stuff in there as well?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Retro Futurist posted:

It's less complicated than it seems

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-53
Ultimate Six
Ultimate Spider-Man 54-133
Spider-Man: Requiem
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man 1-15 (Post ultimatum relaunch)
Ultimate Spider-Man 150-160 (just goes back to original numbering)

There's no much tie in or anything like that. Ultimatum technically but don't read Ultimatum. Some of Ultimate Team Up bleeds into the main book, but it's almost mostly non-canon so it's not essential.

Miles takes over after that.

Pretty much. If you're talking the special issues as well, #½ comes after issue 45, Annual #1 comes after #85, Annual #2 after #105, and Annual #3 after #120. And then after #160 you need to read Ultimate Fallout. And then #200 is an important Peter issue even though it's in with the Miles run.

Toxxupation posted:

After Ultimate Fallout:

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1-28 (don't forget #16.1), #200
Spider-Men #1-5
Miles Morales The Ultimate Spider-Man #1-12
All-New Ultimates #1-12

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 15, 2016

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Toxxupation posted:

Miles takes over after Peter so it's a pretty smooth transition from one to the other. This is a pretty good list

It's only complicated by the fact that he's in 2 different books near the end that kind of weave in and out of each other

Technically Ultimate Fallout comes in between the two main runs but it covers the whole Ultimate Universe so it's only got a couple Spider-specific pages

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Retro Futurist posted:

Miles takes over after Peter so it's a pretty smooth transition from one to the other. This is a pretty good list

It's only complicated by the fact that he's in 2 different books near the end that kind of weave in and out of each other

Technically Ultimate Fallout comes in between the two main runs but it covers the whole Ultimate Universe so it's only got a couple Spider-specific pages

That has a lot of unnecessary stuff in it. Like any of Marvel Team-Up. Also do not read Ultimatum or Ultimate Origins or any sidebooks really. I mean there's good stuff, but none necessary.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

X-O posted:

That has a lot of unnecessary stuff in it. Like any of Marvel Team-Up. Also do not read Ultimatum or Ultimate Origins or any sidebooks really. I mean there's good stuff, but none necessary.

The first section is all over the place but the Miles section is good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Retro Futurist posted:

The first section is all over the place but the Miles section is good.

Uh, Miles isn't in any of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ultimate Team Up isn't necessary, but it's Bendis writing Ultimate Peter Parker so it's worth reading. Plus it's helpful to read the bits with Daredevil, Punisher and Shang Chi before they show up in the main book.