Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

technocr4t
Jun 3, 2014

Ehud posted:

I don't get why they don't have the matte options. If I'm getting an Abarth I want it to look as absurd as possible.

The US press cars had them, as well as the scorpion badges everywhere instead of the Fiat badges that were on the originally shown US car (thankfully). Rumor is the black hood & trunk are port-installed dealer add-ons. The dealer catalog also supposedly offers a louder exhaust and a bypass/blow-off valve, for factory racecar ridiculousness.

I think I'm going to end up buying this silly Axis-power sports car...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Ehud posted:

no one likes the car but me :)

:frogout:

I am sure I mentioned I love your car. I prefer your clear headlights compared to my blacked out ones.
Mine is auto and is phenomenal, it blips the throttle, fuel cuts on downshifts and afterfires just the same as the standard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ehud posted:

Abarths are very small, come in automatic and can be had for cheap because Fiat is doing poorly in the US and no one likes the car but me :)

I DRIVE A SHOE

Define "cheap."

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Define "cheap."

I don't know about America, but you can pick up used 2012 abarths for 15k cad atm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

I don't know about America, but you can pick up used 2012 abarths for 15k cad atm.

The only thing I found locally was a 2013 for $14K us, still more that I'd want to pay. I've been thinking of stepping out of the MS6 and the Abarth is on the list of potential replacements.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rhyno posted:

Define "cheap."

I got mine for 16k last summer. It's a 2013 that had 6k miles, leather seats, bigger wheels, audio package.

Edit: I saw some 2012's with cloth seats when I was looking for 12-13k.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 11, 2016

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

:frogout:

I am sure I mentioned I love your car. I prefer your clear headlights compared to my blacked out ones.
Mine is auto and is phenomenal, it blips the throttle, fuel cuts on downshifts and afterfires just the same as the standard.

:hfive: white Abarth buddies

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's a 2013 on Beepi for just over $11k. I certainly don't have the money to get it even if I sold my Jeep (and I don't want to sell the Jeep!) but drat it is tempting.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's a 2013 on Beepi for just over $11k. I certainly don't have the money to get it even if I sold my Jeep (and I don't want to sell the Jeep!) but drat it is tempting.

The resale value on these cars is hilariously bad. I can't imagine how mad I would be if I bought one new.

Fiat needs the 124 and the 500x to succeed :ohdear:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

You can buy new FiSTs for another 1.5 where I live, or a FoST for 2-3 and that's just going off advertised prices. That's a hilariously bad buy if those are even close to actual transaction prices.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

You can buy new FiSTs for another 1.5 where I live, or a FoST for 2-3 and that's just going off advertised prices. That's a hilariously bad buy if those are even close to actual transaction prices.

15k CAD = $11700. You can buy new FiSTs for $13k and change?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Ehud posted:

The resale value on these cars is hilariously bad. I can't imagine how mad I would be if I bought one new.

Fiat needs the 124 and the 500x to succeed :ohdear:

Yeah I think I'll pick up a 124 Abarth in a few years when it's half the price.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Lets all get in line to buy an Italian Chrysler Miata for full retail, its an investment

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

PaintVagrant posted:

Lets all get in line to buy an Italian Chrysler Miata for full retail, its an investment

At least it might not poo poo its entire cooling system every 50k.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

fyodor posted:

At least it might not poo poo its entire cooling system every 50k.

Might!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PaintVagrant posted:

not enough room in the trunk for all my beanie babies

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Focus has it standard, Fiesta doesn't have it as an option on any trim level

Incorrect, rear view camera and backup sensors are standard on Titanium trim Fiestas. For whatever reason they decided not to offer it on STs, nor is retrofitting a trivial matter like it should be.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

Incorrect, rear view camera and backup sensors are standard on Titanium trim Fiestas. For whatever reason they decided not to offer it on STs, nor is retrofitting a trivial matter like it should be.

Well gently caress me sideways with a pogo stick... That's both dumb as gently caress and confusing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I love when you can tell a car company retrofitted a backup camera to an existing model and they made no attempt to integrate it cleanly into the body.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Aren't backup cameras going to be required soon? Gotta keep those fat retards from running over their stupid spawns.

The R has a back up camera and it's just one more thing that will eventually break, and when it does, it won't get fixed.

Got the summers back on and took it out for a couple hours. After taking a few stupid manhole covers that I didn't see until too late, I should have shaken anything loose that was going to come loose.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
With how terrible rear visibility is getting in cars backup cameras should be required. gently caress, I want cameras to show me what's behind the god damned A pillars in the FiST.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yes. Changes in rollover safety regulations have made rear visibility in short supply and thus mandated back-up cameras to solve this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

oxbrain posted:

With how terrible rear visibility is getting in cars backup cameras should be required. gently caress, I want cameras to show me what's behind the god damned A pillars in the FiST.

Those overhead view cameras are pretty awesome.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I just got back from a drive in the E46... Holy gently caress is visibility and turning radius excellent compared to the Focus.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Same thing happens every time I drive the 14 Mazda 3. I get back in the E46 and marvel at the increased visibility.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Well you say E46 like it's not the platonic ideal of a car.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
No visibility issues on the Golf. The turning radius is hideous compared to the 11 Golf though. I think they went too far on the lock to lock ratio. It's only like 2 turns on the R.

Heh just looked it up. It's 2.1. Also, why in this day and age does a high performance car still have a cast iron block.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Cost

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

No visibility issues on the Golf. The turning radius is hideous compared to the 11 Golf though. I think they went too far on the lock to lock ratio. It's only like 2 turns on the R.

Heh just looked it up. It's 2.1. Also, why in this day and age does a high performance car still have a cast iron block.

The R still has an iron block?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fknlo posted:

The R still has an iron block?

Yup, the VW 2.0T is an iron block with aluminum heads.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Yup, the VW 2.0T is an iron block with aluminum heads.

Oh Volkswagen :allears:

I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, but I kind of am.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

fyodor posted:

Well you say E46 like it's not the platonic ideal of a car.

I feel like an E30 owner when I think about how superior the E46 is to all other cars ever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

Oh Volkswagen :allears:

I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, but I kind of am.

What budget built turbo cars are running all aluminum blocks from the factory...?

I mean, there are people making over 500whp on these things without opening the motor.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 13, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
for ~$7k you can do a bolt on kit for a gti and make 494hp to the wheels on 93. 522 on 100 octane.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fuckin thing has no traction with 300whp, I can't imagine another 200 ontop. :lol:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

What budget built turbo cars are running all aluminum blocks from the factory...?

I mean, there are people making over 500whp on these things without opening the motor.

The new Cruze engine is all aluminum. It's half the cost of a golf R. Not a performance car or hot hatch, however.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd just assumed that most brands had switched over to aluminum blocks by now for the weight savings for mpg restrictions.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Larrymer posted:

The new Cruze engine is all aluminum. It's half the cost of a golf R. Not a performance car or hot hatch, however.

That's weird because I could swear Chevy says aluminum is commie Ford devil metal.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
1.4 turbo is iron block

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/luv/#tab-2

Edit: looks like 2016+ is aluminum block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BlackMK4 posted:

The EcoBoost 20 and 23 are all-aluminum.