Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Picks are also very good.

RIP Boatmurder's shot at being the championship division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Postmortem time for Baldwin:

He has the following equipment.
Iron Spear
Oak Wood Shield
Iron Helm
Leather Armor
Iron Mail Shirt
Leather Leggings
Iron Gauntlets
Steel Low Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 5 Fighting (Proficient)
Level 10 Spear (Accomplished)
Level 4 Dodging (Skilled)
Level 3 Shield (Competent)
Level 2 Armor (Adequate)

Baldwin has 134 points currently available to spend.

The only change for the playoffs was 5 additional points in Spear and 2 Dodging. I really expected patchwork armor at best from the opposition. :argh: HUBRIS :argh:
He would have had exactly enough points for a Steel Spear and Adamantine Gauntlets in round 2. Had I reversed that order, things might have gone differently.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Please don't rush the semis. Some of us have lives beyond posting on the forums, but would still like to have time to talk and think about this. :v:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad posted:

Please don't rush the semis. Some of us have lives beyond posting on the forums, but would still like to have time to talk and think about this. :v:

Same.

Though I kind of assume that when not posting mydad is running dwarf fortress numbers nonstop and has like a cabin out in the woods Beautiful Mind style just filled with clippings and calculations connected by lengths of twine and thumbtacks.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
How fast is too fast?

The round is closed for a little while for people to upgrade, test builds, whatever.

Probably will pick it up again on Monday morning and Plump Helmets vs Team Laser Explosion.

After that you can blame ZeeToo if it's too fast. I mean, there's only 2 fights in this next round so do you want us to space it out a week in between? What would you do in that week without being able to spend points/bet?

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

How fast is too fast?

The round is closed for a little while for people to upgrade, test builds, whatever.

Probably will pick it up again on Monday morning and Plump Helmets vs Team Laser Explosion.

After that you can blame ZeeToo if it's too fast. I mean, there's only 2 fights in this next round so do you want us to space it out a week in between? What would you do in that week without being able to spend points/bet?

You know... double elimination would fix this issue. I know we had a vote, but I'm kind of amazed we are 3 fights away from this being over.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Just wait for every team to give the all clear, with a deadline of 3-4 days. There's only 4 teams left, it's not like it's going to flood the thread with OK signals.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I was under the mistaken impression that stranglers had two mouths.

She has the following equipment.
Iron Helm
Leather Armor
Copper Mail Shirt
Steel Mail Shirt
Adamantine Mail Shirt
Copper Greaves
Bronze Gauntlets
Steel High Boots

She has the following skills.
Level 3 Fighting (Competent)
Level 13 Wrestling (High Master)
Level 1 Striking (Novice)
Level 14 Biting (Grand Master)
Level 3 Dodging (Competent)
Level 3 Armor (Competent)
Level 1 Kicking (Novice)

I was at level 13 biting pretty early on, didn't do much good. Biting stranglers are pretty unworkable I think.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 8, 2016

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Here's Bo of TCWD

Steel Short Sword
Oak Wood Shield
Iron Cap
Iron Mail Shirt
Leather Leggings
Iron Gauntlets
Leather High Boots

Level 1 Fighting (Novice)
Level 7 Sword (Adept)
Level 9 Shield (Professional)
Level 3 Armor (Competent)
Level 1 Misc. Object (Novice)

He ended up being pretty effective. After going for an initial mostly-glass cannon build, I put pretty much all his points into defense. I think his kill count came from the combination of his weapon, his fairly good defenses (making him relatively hard to kill), and his fairly low dodge (which mean that he was in the thick of things relatively longer).

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Jesus Christ, Steven. Where the hell was this through all the qualifiers?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Roland Gorchnik is a male Human fighter participating in the 1054 Armok Arena League tournament as a member of This Bites.

He has 39 points currently available to spend.

Copper Scourge
Iron Cap
Leather Armor
Iron Mail Shirt
Iron Greaves
Leather Gauntlets
Leather Low Boots

Level 2 Fighting (Adequate)
Level 5 Lash (Proficient)
Level 3 Biting (Competent)
Level 6 Dodging (Talented)
Level 1 Shield (Novice)
Level 1 Armor (Novice)

Should have tested my initial adamantine mail shirt and low weapon skill plan. Same with selling the shield for the scourge, and latter the whip for more skill points. A steel or iron shirt, more skill, and starting with the scourge might have changed things considerably. At least buying flashy nonsense is more or less in character.

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
Here's Chaz:

Steel Halberd
Oak Wood Shield
Silver Helm
Leather Armor
Leather Leggings
Leather Gauntlets

Level 4 Fighting (Skilled)
Level 6 Axe (Talented)
Level 6 Shield (Talented)
Level 1 Misc. Object (Novice)

My biggest regret is probably not taking the time to get a pair of decent-quality gauntlets, considering how often it felt like he got disarmed.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Segway Rave posted:

My biggest regret is probably not taking the time to get a pair of decent-quality gauntlets, considering how often it felt like he got disarmed.

Yeah being easily dismembered, was Uma's problem too.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Well I'm glad that Cowman is continuing to perform admirably as the team's tank. Just one more fight and he can finally leave and get back to that wedding or whatever he meant to attend. Also good job Stephen, I knew he could do it. I always believed in him. :unsmith:

Edit: I'm apparently the third wealthiest bet-placer, I don't even know how this happened. I'd better place more bets or something I guess.

Locomotive breath fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 9, 2016

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Spermy Smurf posted:

All things considered, I'll take any blame laid at my feet for being way too fast at these things lately. :v:

Also, :siren: running the fight on Saturday :siren:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

There are only 3 fights left not including the Bronze Medal fight so get those gimmicks ready you guys.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Good news: we are fighting an antwoman, there could be a boxing match between my tigerman and their minotaur

Bad news: one of them has a scourge

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Suck & gently caress Pighead is a member of Two Chicks with Dicks.

Silver War Hammer
Iron Helm
Iron Mail Shirt
Iron Leggings
Iron Gauntlets
Iron High Boots

Level 10 Hammer (Accomplished)
Level 8 Dodging (Expert)
Level 1 Armor (Novice)

I was hoping getting a lot of skill on hammer due to the points bonus of being small would pay off, and while it didn't completely suck, it wasn't super effective. Maybe I should have forgone armour completely given how dangerous wrestling is to the little guys and armour doesn't really help with that. I dunno.

Fun tourney, big thanks to all the fight runners and Jazz. Gotta figure out who to root for now.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Ablative posted:

Jesus Christ, Steven. Where the hell was this through all the qualifiers?

He was saving himself for the playoffs. What if he'd strained something? Do you think Rona Ambrose could lay out that kind of hammering?

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
fallingdownjoe, you are managing Experiment Twenty-Two, a female Tigerman fighter.

This fighter is participating in the 1054 Armok Arena League tournament as a member of Worse Munki.

Steel Long Sword
Steel Helm
Leather Armor
Iron Mail Shirt
Iron Gauntlets

Level 5 Sword (Proficient)
Level 2 Dodging (Adequate)
Level 3 Shield (Competent)
Level 4 Armor (Skilled)

I think it's quite obvious that I didn't really know what I was doing, especially early on - I've started playing the game now as a result of the Arena though and having a great time! I'll be bringing a much more tested fighter to the next tournament - thanks to everyone who's put in the vast amounts of time needed to keep this thing running.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

habituallyred posted:

Good news: we are fighting an antwoman

The Antwoman.

I hope you have good armor because I've got a couple steel daggers with your name on it.

loving adamantine is 1800 points. :negative:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Spermy Smurf posted:

The Antwoman.

I hope you have good armor because I've got a couple steel daggers with your name on it.

loving adamantine is 1800 points. :negative:

armour won't save you from snekhammer

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Everyone got their poo poo updated?

The Zoo is all set.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Almost. Just one last check and we're good to go.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I believe Laser Explosion is all set to score a lucky win against a team of rabid min/maxers.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Less rabid min/maxing, more "time zones" :v:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
If you talk to your teammates it's basically collusion and we'll put an asterisk next to your victory.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The Plump Helmets are ready to rumble!

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
This round should be fun!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

If you talk to your teammates it's basically collusion and we'll put an asterisk next to your victory.

If you've never drunkenly sold all of your gear it's just cheating.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Knowing the anatomy of your chosen species is way over the line

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Josie is ready, and hopefully will remember to keep her guard up this time. Even if she doesn't clearly the rest of the team can do it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Anyone from Go Big been in contact with the team and can confirm your builds are locked in correctly?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I am ready.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Come on already I LUST FOR BLOOD

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jimbo is ready

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

No one cares about you. You are getting snekhammered early on. Is the rest of your team ready to get Cowpunched?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

Anyone from Go Big been in contact with the team and can confirm your builds are locked in correctly?

My changes are in, but is this a comment on the quality of the builds you can see?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I assure you those 5 unspent points are being saved for the final round, as I have no intention of becoming an archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

A good poster posted:

My changes are in, but is this a comment on the quality of the builds you can see?

Nope, just didnt want you to be testing out platinum gauntlets on a striker or something.