Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the show looked better when it was filmed in New York

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bring back old gbs posted:

My favourite part of Fringe was the 80's intro with things like "invitro fertilization" and "stem cell therapy" filling the screen.

Having the intro change to reflect things happening in the show is always cool and I like that more shows are doing it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

My favourite part of Fringe was the 80's intro with things like "invitro fertilization" and "stem cell therapy" filling the screen.

I liked that they used different style intros to denote where/when the episode would take place.

Also, I'm not sure why I'm surprised, but somehow, this episode had the dumbest bullshit science of the entire show.

A nanny-cam caught a blur of some people moving faster than human eyes could percieve. Okay.

So they brought in a super-advanced device from MIT whose purpose was... to slow down video. That's right: They could take the digital video from the nanny-cam, and, using this device, see all the poo poo that happened in one millisecond. As thought it was actually recorded in that digital video file, but they needed some black boxes from MIT to see it. What the Christ.

This show has always has hilariously far-fetched and wrong science, but like... come on. It's basically the laziest technobabble implementation of zoom, zoom, enhance. Like, why even bother? Why not just "Oh, ever since that incident with the exploding custard, I've been using a high-speed camera for the lab's security. That way I can analyze any further culinary mishaps." Or literally any other reason to have a high-speed camera around.

edit: Okay, I've been complaining about this a lot, but here is yet another episode about a serial killer who targets people based on and because of doing chemistry. And he's deformed. So this season alone, we've had psychopath who preys on happy people to chemically extract their happiness, invisible boy just wants to be normal and hunts people to exctract their pigment, and now we have the deformed man who is, presumably, hunting people to make custom pheromone cocktail perfumes. 3 out of 15 episodes have the same plot. Which was one they did multiple times before this season.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 11, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blue squares posted:

so I heard Farscape is cool

It's amazing. First half of season 1 is rough.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

blue squares posted:

so I heard Farscape is cool

Crichton is still my favorite sci-fi protagonist ever. He's so constantly fed up with everyone's poo poo and will call them out on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vanderdeath posted:

Crichton is still my favorite sci-fi protagonist ever. He's so constantly fed up with everyone's poo poo and will call them out on it.

He might be the only sci-fi protagonist to suffer a full psychotic break and continue on like nothing happened.

Also Harvey.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My dad's birthday is coming up, always the same week as Father's Day. He is retired, and he loves walking on the treadmill and watching movies or shows on DVD, especially action stuff. The last things I've bought him that were big hits were the complete Spartacus and the complete Strike Back. He loved both. This year, I'm trying to decide between Justified (which I've watched and enjoyed) and Banshee (which I've never seen). He hasn't seen either.

Any thoughts, preferences, or other suggestions? If it's a reasonably decent and popular action movie (including big-budget sci-fi and Marvel Studios superheroes), there's a very good chance he has it already. And I got him a Blu-Ray player, but it doesn't stream video (that would be a little too complicated for him), so just watching stuff on Netflix isn't really an option.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My dad's birthday is coming up, always the same week as Father's Day. He is retired, and he loves walking on the treadmill and watching movies or shows on DVD, especially action stuff. The last things I've bought him that were big hits were the complete Spartacus and the complete Strike Back. He loved both. This year, I'm trying to decide between Justified (which I've watched and enjoyed) and Banshee (which I've never seen). He hasn't seen either.

Any thoughts, preferences, or other suggestions? If it's a reasonably decent and popular action movie (including big-budget sci-fi and Marvel Studios superheroes), there's a very good chance he has it already. And I got him a Blu-Ray player, but it doesn't stream video (that would be a little too complicated for him), so just watching stuff on Netflix isn't really an option.

I'd lean toward Banshee Season 1 if he loves Strike Back and action movies, but you really can't go wrong with either one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Justified gets my vote.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Justified is the better show but Banshee is way more action oriented.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
quick question - what are people's opinions on covert affairs.

setting aside the inherent hilarity in the concept of a domestic operations department of the CIA

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The Iron Rose posted:

setting aside the inherent hilarity in the concept of a domestic operations department of the CIA

Boring. And that's me saying it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Iron Rose posted:

It's not good.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
well that makes my decision to stop watching after the pilot easy.

plus i have a feeling the uh, hollywood portrayal of the CIA would just bug the heck outta me. She calls herself an agent and that's just ugh.

Plus I needed to watch the Americans anyways, and that was actually made by a CIA officer so.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The Iron Rose posted:

I liked it :colbert:

It got better as it went along and by the end I was genuinely sad to see it go. As for the domestic stuff, 90% of her missions and stuff are overseas, and much of it was shot on-location, so it often looks pretty at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey speaking of garbage on the USA Network.

Did anyone else know a guy who got really into Burn Notice and acted like the spy poo poo they portrayed was legit?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Fringe, s4, e18. They decided in this episode that a tuning fork and an alligator clip was all you needed to tell which universe things were from, as a matter-of-fact minor detail of investigating this case.

Because that never would have come in handy or solved 90% of their problems with doppelgangers and impersonation up to this point. Seriously?

Justified is really, really good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

But the CIA does run operations in the US :confused:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rhyno posted:

Did anyone else know a guy who got really into Burn Notice and acted like the spy poo poo they portrayed was legit?

WE GOTTA BURN THE GUY WHAT BURNS US BURN BURN

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Jesus Christ, Christina Grimmie was just murdered... I'm nauseous and in shock.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is pretty much a game changer for YouTuber fan meet-and-greets. loving hell.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rhyno posted:

Fiona looks like beef jerky

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That poor woman. I didn't know her, but it happened at a concert venue here in Orlando that I've been to dozens of times. It's an old theater with seating, not a general admission venue, and they typically book shows that bring an older, more sedate crowd. It's terrifying and shocking.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It's amazing. First half of season 1 is rough.

Yes. It's an amazing show but takes a bit to get going. Well worth it.

Rhyno posted:

He might be the only sci-fi protagonist to suffer a full psychotic break and continue on like nothing happened.

Also Harvey.

That's what I appreciated most; the consequences stuck. Things didn't cleanly wrap up and the traumas and horrors they went through had lasting ramifications.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vanderdeath posted:

I was too young to watch Voltron when it aired and only caught bits and pieces of it in syndication growing up, so I don't really hold a lot of nostalgia for it. That being said, the first episode of Legendary Defender is surprisingly good. I hope the animation quality holds up because I thought it was going to be a budget project for sure.

Yeah, I watched the first episode with my kids yesterday and we all liked it (although goddamn was it long, it was like a triple length episode). The Avatar pedigree is obvious in the animation and characters though, Lance is practically Space Sokka.

There's no need to go back to watch the original if you like this though. Watching it as an adult only makes it more obvious what a bizarre cut and paste of scenes from Golion it is. If you feel the need, just look up some episodes of Golion on YouTube, it's really got that hyperviolent '80s anime thing going on.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 11, 2016

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Owing to the one actor going to prison for 40 years just now, I'm going to suggest The Shield if he hasn't seen that yet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

:stare:

quote:

Prosecutors cited testimony from the couple's 10-year-old son, who told jurors that he heard his father say, "'If you like running, then run to heaven,'" before firing the second gunshot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus christ.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I just started the latest season of 12 Monkeys and goddamn were you guys right, they are really killing it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's unusual that almost everyone but 1 or 2 goons are loving this season. It is indeed excellent TV.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

For some godforsaken reason I am going to rewatch the first season of True Blood
Actually no I'm not. Didn't take long for me to remember how dumb it was

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 11, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

blue squares posted:

For some godforsaken reason I am going to rewatch the first season of True Blood
Actually no I'm not. Didn't take long for me to remember how dumb it was

Ah cahnat control what yah have awakhun in meh, Sookeh!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, Voltron's opening is kind of boring.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

IRQ posted:

Owing to the one actor going to prison for 40 years just now, I'm going to suggest The Shield if he hasn't seen that yet.

He got me into The Shield back when it was first airing, but he lost interest about halfway through, as we saw more and more of how irredeemable Vic and Shane were. I watched it all the way to the end and typed up recap/reviews for him after each episode to keep him up to date.

Aside from Spartacus and Strike Back, he loves Person of Interest, Blindspot, The Blacklist, Grimm, Limitless (RIP, too good for this world), The Player, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, and Daredevil (I showed him how to watch it on their computer using my Netflix account). He absolutely loved Human Target and was pissed that the second season was never released on DVD. He also liked Deadwood a lot. Like me, he tolerates Arrow, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow, but we've both lost a lot of patience with them. Somehow, he also likes Gotham (I don't watch it), loved Agent Carter (one of the only shows my mom would watch with him), but gave up on Agents of SHIELD even before I did. He also liked 24 a lot for a while and followed Lost from the beginning to the end.

I loaned him my complete set of The Wire on DVD a long time ago, but it has never interested him enough to bother. I think he'd also enjoy Rome, Fringe (he and I watched X-Files together back in the '90s), Prison Break, and The Americans (he's a retired history teacher), but Justified and Banshee would be the most action-packed and fun choices I have for him so far.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Boy, Rick and Morty season 2 is... inconsistent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Show
Me
What
You
Got

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Boy, Rick and Morty is... inconsistent.

:yeah:

Seriously though, Season 2 was enough to make me not want a Season 3 immediately and I'm glad there's a bit of time between now and the new one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was not aware that the TNT show The Last Ship was still going. I thought it got canceled last year.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

muscles like this? posted:

I was not aware that the TNT show The Last Ship was still going. I thought it got canceled last year.
It has Bridget Reagan and Dichen Lachmann this season, you should get on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

It's one of those shows where even the cast is surprised it got another season.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU PLAYSTATION NETWORK SERIES POWERS.

• Locked thread