Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The pre order bonuses suck so pre orders are for chumps. 6m cbills isn't even a heavy weekend of play. The modules almost always blow and on the off chance they don't it's not like they cost more than you could pull in an afternoon of pub drops. Some of the camo can be cool I guess but that's a slim reward.

Wait until it drops. The first weekend will tell you if it's good and if so what models are great. Is the hero worth ponying up for or is it just average? Etc.

If you buy it after it's been out a few days you don't miss out on much and you can skip poo poo like the Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So after that is off my mind, and my bears are mastered, ive got time for other things.

Gonna try the Snipear: KDK-3
Gonna try to get some efficiency out of the 9 missile archer: ARC-5W
Mastering the X-5: X-5
Trying out the PPC-Master: BLR-3M

And wait for mechbay sales to get more mechs.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Major Spag posted:

Me and my poo poo load of MC due to being an idiot Founder will probably pick up the BW, Bounty Hunter and an oxide.

I should have enough mechbays but have no clue because I never looked :v:

Guess who was the bad who forgot all about this when I got home from work?

Just one more thing I am bad at I guess...:smith:

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
I haven't seen anyone post the vomit bear. If it's cool and alpha's under 200 it melts faces raiders of the lost ark style.

KDK-5

83ish alpha and soooooo many heatsinks you can shoot baddies like all drat day.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zyphoid posted:

I haven't seen anyone post the vomit bear. If it's cool and alpha's under 200 it melts faces raiders of the lost ark style.

KDK-5

83ish alpha and soooooo many heatsinks you can shoot baddies like all drat day.

Thats because theres 3 different ranges of lasers, and the med+small are in the same ghost heat group which starts at 6.
Also missing 20 armor on both side torsos and almost 40 on center.

Id rather go with this to be honest.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

From experience, the LPL+mediums actually sync up really well as far as active time and ranges.

Good for triple high mounts like on the hellbringer or that timberwolf shoulder

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
Whoops. I herpaderped when I threw that together.

KDK-5

Better. Always take all the torso armor. I shaved the legs down a bit. On the clan side the LPL with a cooldown module and medium lasers sync up almost exactly on firing time and cooldown. Range isn't much of an issue the mediums do taper out but the vast majority of fights happen in the sweet spot.

And yes, M1 is 2 LPL and 3 med. M2 is 6 small pulse. 1/2 second stagger removes ghost heat but it's a shitload of pinpoint when you just have to steal the kill from Patton. If you alpha anything damaged it's pretty much a guaranteed kill if it's sub assault. It's a fun alternative to the dakka bear with more range than the tribal rape bear.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

so the black widow is the most fun ive ever had in a mech. anything that wanders near me gets wrecked.

ive also been having a ton of fun with a 2 lbx ac10 gridiron. mediums melt and as long as im not the primary focus the fire support on heavies and assaults just rip em to pieces

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
gently caress yeah BMR1580

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

liquidfire posted:

gently caress yeah BMR1580

What's he done now

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Great Beer posted:

What's he done now

guilty of being awesome thats what!

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
So after scoffing at the lb-10x and lb-20x, at least on the clan side I'm becoming more and more of a convert. They work well, especially in conjunction with some lasers and can be terrifying when thrown in with some srms. But while I'm having fun I'm also wondering if they SEEM better than they are.

Things I like;

1-Fast projectile speed. They are considerably faster than the larger AC's. This translates into more hits on target. This may just be me not being able to aim but I hit things more consistently compared to something slow as molasses like the AC 20. This means they sync better with things like LAZORS but especially SRMs.

2-They fire as one burst. This means less face time required and more time damage rolling, which is good. It also means that I only have to hit the target one time rather than tracking with multiple pellets and juggling different projectile travel speeds. This is especially important when shooting at lights circle strafing you.

3-Despite listed heat values, they seem cooler than straight ultra ACs. The quad LB bear is cool as hell. Generally can fire all drat day, even on most of Terra Therma. AC's overheat me like crazy even when there is only 2. May be that I have like zero fire discipline in that I double tap like crazy when I FIRE ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!!111!!!! but even with mixed loadout I don't have heat problems.

Things I don't like;

1-Damageflation. Big numbers are awesome looking at the end of a match. But they aren't always that useful. Pinpoint is king for kills but I suppose it's good for upping your income.

2-Spread. Yeah it's not as bad a I thought but it's still annoying past 500m or so.

3-Stupidly heavy. Should be lighter than the equivalent AC.

4-I'm not seeing that much difference in killing power between 10's and 20's. Only using the 20 on the spirit bear so that may be skewing my results.

5-Weaker against fresh opponents. If you aren't boating them, like 4+ you need a can opener before you can asplodey your opponent's insides all over the field. 2+ quad bears kills things loving terrifyingly fast. I've been running the KDK4 with 2 LB10x, 2 lpl, and 2 med lasers. It's been a good sweet spot between opening the armor and splatting all the components.

Curious what everyone else has been doing. Anyone try the smaller LBs?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zyphoid posted:

So after scoffing at the lb-10x and lb-20x, at least on the clan side I'm becoming more and more of a convert. They work well, especially in conjunction with some lasers and can be terrifying when thrown in with some srms. But while I'm having fun I'm also wondering if they SEEM better than they are.

Things I like;

1-Fast projectile speed. They are considerably faster than the larger AC's. This translates into more hits on target. This may just be me not being able to aim but I hit things more consistently compared to something slow as molasses like the AC 20. This means they sync better with things like LAZORS but especially SRMs.

2-They fire as one burst. This means less face time required and more time damage rolling, which is good. It also means that I only have to hit the target one time rather than tracking with multiple pellets and juggling different projectile travel speeds. This is especially important when shooting at lights circle strafing you.

3-Despite listed heat values, they seem cooler than straight ultra ACs. The quad LB bear is cool as hell. Generally can fire all drat day, even on most of Terra Therma. AC's overheat me like crazy even when there is only 2. May be that I have like zero fire discipline in that I double tap like crazy when I FIRE ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!!111!!!! but even with mixed loadout I don't have heat problems.

Things I don't like;

1-Damageflation. Big numbers are awesome looking at the end of a match. But they aren't always that useful. Pinpoint is king for kills but I suppose it's good for upping your income.

2-Spread. Yeah it's not as bad a I thought but it's still annoying past 500m or so.

3-Stupidly heavy. Should be lighter than the equivalent AC.

4-I'm not seeing that much difference in killing power between 10's and 20's. Only using the 20 on the spirit bear so that may be skewing my results.

5-Weaker against fresh opponents. If you aren't boating them, like 4+ you need a can opener before you can asplodey your opponent's insides all over the field. 2+ quad bears kills things loving terrifyingly fast. I've been running the KDK4 with 2 LB10x, 2 lpl, and 2 med lasers. It's been a good sweet spot between opening the armor and splatting all the components.

Curious what everyone else has been doing. Anyone try the smaller LBs?

I use the LB-20X on the Spirit Bear and it owns bones, because everything you fire at is close enough so that the spread doesn't matter as much

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

I use the LB-20X on the Spirit Bear and it owns bones, because everything you fire at is close enough so that the spread doesn't matter as much

Plus nothing strips away armor like a shitload of SRMs. Right click, left click, watch all the component destroyed notifications.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I quite like the LB20, but I wouldn't say it's better or worse than the UAC20. The only time I would definitively give one weapon the advantage over the other is if there is a major jam reduction chance; so my Summoners and Warhawks run UAC20s to alarming effect because of that jam chance quirk (which doesn't seem like much, but if you run the numbers it is a HUGE boost to DPS) whereas the Stormcrow runs an LB20. I definitely have to agree that it syncs nicely with SRMs, and I also agree that it runs cooler than a UAC, which is one of the things I really like about it- on Mordor or Tourmaline, you can run a bit toasty with the SRMs but the LB20 lets you keep firing a big gun well after your opponent has to stop.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aniviron posted:

I quite like the LB20, but I wouldn't say it's better or worse than the UAC20. The only time I would definitively give one weapon the advantage over the other is if there is a major jam reduction chance; so my Summoners and Warhawks run UAC20s to alarming effect because of that jam chance quirk (which doesn't seem like much, but if you run the numbers it is a HUGE boost to DPS) whereas the Stormcrow runs an LB20. I definitely have to agree that it syncs nicely with SRMs, and I also agree that it runs cooler than a UAC, which is one of the things I really like about it- on Mordor or Tourmaline, you can run a bit toasty with the SRMs but the LB20 lets you keep firing a big gun well after your opponent has to stop.

I've always loved the LBX - I used to do surprisingly well with a jager dd with 2 lbx 10, a couple of MLs and 4 MGs. Nearly heat neutral and deadly if you can survive to the end of the match to start opening up.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Zyphoid posted:

LBX-Stuff

You are forgetting that LBX crit seek like mother fuckers. Any item in an open armor area is absolutely hosed.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://mwomercs.com/news/2016/06/1563-introducing-catapult-butterbee-hero-mech

new hero Catapult plus rescale images

looks like the Catapult is getting like 30% smaller which is significant

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Their little ear flaps aren't so obscenely easy to hit!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Dunno why I'd want that Hero... But I want it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
That hero looks actually pretty kickass. Sadly though only 4 missile hardpoints

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Thronde posted:

4 missiles means 4 srm6a. Back that up with 4 mpl and you have a huge amount of firepower on a fast, mobile chassis.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thronde posted:

Not immediately obvious, but it only has the stock 260, which means no larger engine cap. So 315 max like the other chassis; for comparison the jester comes with a 295 and can take up to a 355.

CT lasers are nice, but missile doors aren't. I'm not seeing any reason to use this over a griffin.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Not immediately obvious, but it only has the stock 260, which means no larger engine cap. So 315 max like the other chassis; for comparison the jester comes with a 295 and can take up to a 355.

CT lasers are nice, but missile doors aren't. I'm not seeing any reason to use this over a griffin.

See:

Great Beer posted:

4 missiles means 4 srm6a. Back that up with 4 mpl and you have a huge amount of firepower on a fast, mobile chassis.

Also make note that the Catapult size is magnificently reduced. Not only do they narrow those big rear end missile bays. But they shortened that mother fucker like woah.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Part of the sizedown is that the legs are much more hunched up, it doesn't stand as tall because of the posture.

Also, Butterbee pretty much just straight up invalidates the C1 and C4 variants. Two more missile hardpoints than the C1, two more energy than the C4.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
This week's Mechwarrior Online event is pretty sweet. I know some of you jerks will disagree with me, but I think this weekend's event is even better than the one from last weekend.

It's not at all relevant, but here are two screenshots that are about Corn:

If you guys see Corn, please report him for Lag Tweaking.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Lonjon posted:

This week's Mechwarrior Online event is pretty sweet. I know some of you jerks will disagree with me, but I think this weekend's event is even better than the one from last weekend.

It's not at all relevant, but here are two screenshots that are about Corn:

If you guys see Corn, please report him for Lag Tweaking.

Lag Twerkin'

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
The finest in mechwarrior cosplay

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Repo Man posted:

:stwoon:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

The Repo Man posted:

Quit doxxing metro.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

Are either of the goon units active in faction warfare at the moment? I have an itch to get drunk and play with goons.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Tangerines posted:

Are either of the goon units active in faction warfare at the moment? I have an itch to get drunk and play with goons.

We mainly play CW if there's an event going on otherwise it's too fuckin tedious. You could probably round up people to do CW scouting though since those don't depend on catherding 24 people.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Tonight I was going through some old screenshots, and I realized that I could use some of them as educational material for those of you who are not as awesome at this game as I am. Specifically, the Assault mode:

After you secure a victory for your team by capturing the enemy base, it's important to be an example of good sportsmanship. Always say "Good Game Close" or "gg close" because that will cement feelings of camaraderie and good cheer. Also, politely suggest that your opponents could do better next round by defending their base. It will only help them improve their game, and they will thank you for your assistance.

Capping is for nuns! Nuns are nonviolent, and can overcome conflict by refusing to fight. Achieve victory by embracing the Way of the Nun.

Sometimes the opposing team just doesn't understand how to defend their own territory. Don't despair! If you have good-natured teammates, they will assist you in helping your opponents to understand just how they failed to accomplish the map objectives. It won't help your worthy adversaries this round, but it will surely be of benefit for them the next time they play!

The important part about Assault is to always be a good sport. That is why I'm proud to be a Fun human being.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
game recognizes game

:golfclap:

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

Is it just me or is a Quad UAC10 Kodiak just the most fun poo poo since the old Ilya Muromets?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tangerines posted:

Is it just me or is a Quad UAC10 Kodiak just the most fun poo poo since the old Ilya Muromets?

No, it is.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Tangerines posted:

It really is. The people who mount 2x uac10 and 2x uac5 just don't understand.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah plus the ghost heat really isn't that huge an issue. Post-doubles you can get off at least two rapid fire double shot alphas and frankly if it ain't dead or running away by then you need to be finding cover anyway.

Edit: 2 alphas being fire, uac refire, fire, refire

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
next robbit: Huntsman

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/230498-the-huntsman/page__pid__5234140#entry5234140

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
That's a really fuckin ugly mech. And it's slow for a medium.

• Locked thread