Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Internet Kraken posted:

Why? Out of all the parts of the game that need to be tweaked, I'd put Hell at the top of the list. Its easily the least fun I have with Crawl.

I have never really felt like Hell was particularly odious when doing post-game stuff and the vast majority of my problems with this game come from earlier stuff. I mean, yeah, it's not great. But it's not that bad, it could be as it is for a while imo and it'd be all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
code:
  4749 | D:5      | Identified the +12 long sword "Omas" {venom, rN+ MR+ Str+3 Dex+2}
~
  4894 | D:5      | Identified the +8 scale mail "Yquow" {*Confuse rC++ MR+} 
Why thank you, dungeon level 5.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

World Famous W posted:

code:
  4749 | D:5      | Identified the +12 long sword "Omas" {venom, rN+ MR+ Str+3 Dex+2}
~
  4894 | D:5      | Identified the +8 scale mail "Yquow" {*Confuse rC++ MR+} 
Why thank you, dungeon level 5.
I'd say go Ashenzari for clarity if you haven't picked a god yet, that armor could seriously keep you the whole game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

The orc sorcerer casts a spell at you.
_You suddenly lose the ability to move!
The orc priest mumbles some strange prayers to Beogh against you.
Beogh smites you!
_The orc shouts!
The orc wizard mumbles some strange words.
The orc wizard flickers and vanishes!
_Deactivating autopickup; reactivate with Ctrl-A.
The orc priest calls down the wrath of Beogh upon you.
_Beogh smites you!
The orc hits you but does no damage.
_The orc sorcerer mumbles some strange words.
The orc hits you but does no damage.
The orc priest invokes the aid of Beogh against you.
Beogh smites you!
The orc warrior hits you with a long sword of holy wrath!
You convulse.
_The orc wizard shouts!
The sixfirhy hits you. The sixfirhy shocks you! The sixfirhy hits you.
The sixfirhy shocks you!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The sixfirhy hits you but does no damage.
The orc sorcerer mumbles some strange words.
The orc wizard casts a cantrip, but nothing happens.
The orc warrior hits you with a long sword of holy wrath!
You convulse!
_You can move again.

I hate paralysis so much :argh:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'd say go Ashenzari for clarity if you haven't picked a god yet, that armor could seriously keep you the whole game.
I don't think that's worth it. Not that ash is bad(I actually like ash a lot), but because *Confuse is actually secretly just not a big deal. You should still go with whatever you would want normally.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Poison Mushroom posted:

TeCK so Xom is my friend.

IronicDongz posted:

I don't think that's worth it. Not that ash is bad(I actually like ash a lot), but because *Confuse is actually secretly just not a big deal. You should still go with whatever you would want normally.
My friend caused me to teleport next to an electric eel who hit me with a bounced lightening bolt, confused me, and I was out of Potions of Curing. Then the eel killed me. :cripes:

Xom is my friend.

EDIT: Slight correction though my anger hazed mind. I probably could have played that better. Xom did nothing wrong. Xom is my friend.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 11, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my god, that's painful.

Edit
code:
R - the +3 triple sword of Impatience (weapon) {holy, *Noise rElec Int+7 Dex+2}.
The +3 triple sword of "you're a hybrid now".

Edit2
code:
q - the +6 triple crossbow "Foumm" (weapon) {flame, Str+4 Int+2}
Man, I love Okawaru. :allears:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 11, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Spider:3 had Louise, Asterion, Jorgrun, and Mara all chilling on it. I swear sometimes the uniques all just decide to party up.

Why does Louise have the sting spell? Its hilariously weak by the time you run into her. Even if it just exists so she has more stuff to cast other than banishment, it seems so out of place.

IronicDongz posted:

How long does it even confuse you for?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I have a big bulky naga of chei that is preparing to hybridize, and I found the Majin-Bo in a store.

http://lazy-life.ddo.jp:8080/morgue/Stoats/Stoats.txt

Do I want the Majin Bo on this dude? I have a bunch of HP and regen, and vamp is kinda cool for casting a load of stuff with the Bo. Thoughts? If I train up can Majin-Bo actually do much melee damage?

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 11, 2016

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/TopsideChimera/morgue-TopsideChimera-20160611-122249.txt

code:
  Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19-a0-599-g723c685 (webtiles) character file.

16168784 TopsideChimera the Ninja (level 27, 185/185 (189) HPs)
             Began as a Vine Stalker Assassin on June 9, 2016.
             Was a Follower of Uskayaw.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on June 11, 2016!

The game lasted 08:05:49 (96928 turns).

TopsideChimera the Ninja (Vine Stalker Assassin)   Turns: 96928, Time: 08:05:50

HP:   185/185 (189) AC: 50    Str: 28    XL:     27
MP:   63/63         EV: 31    Int: 15    God:    Uskayaw [*.....]
Gold: 8768          SH: 16    Dex: 23    Spells: 9 memorised, 23 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    P - +9 quick blade (elec)
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    s - +9 ice dragon armour
rNeg   + + +      Faith    +    a - +0 shield of Ciopuode {rF+ Str+3 SInv}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   +    K - +2 hat {Int+3}
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    d - +1 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  +          Reflect  .    v - +1 pair of gloves "Laseng" {rF+++ rCorr MP+9 Dex-2}
SustAt .          Harm     .    Y - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     +++++      Clarity  +    l - amulet "Ymour" {Faith *Corrode rPois MR+++ MP+9}
Stlth  +++.......               Z - ring "Kulaum" {AC+3 Str+3 SInv}
                                f - ring "Gucs" {Wiz MR+}

@: lich-form, deflect missiles, quick, almost entirely resistant to hostile
enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: antennae 1, fangs 3, talons 1, rough black scales 1, thin metallic scales 1,
agile 1, clarity, cold resistance 1, fire resistance 1, magic resistance 1,
regeneration 3, robust 1, strong 2, evolution 1, magic shield, antimagic bite,
no device heal 3, rot immunity, sturdy frame 1
a: End Transformation, Stomp, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian,
icy, bone, abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark

You escaped.
You worshipped Uskayaw. 
So I tested out the tabby stabber of Uskayaw and it's extremely strong. The ability to paralyze stab Pan and Hell lords is great, and you can grand finale them too. I'm not sure how well it would work for a traditional hexer though. The Vs bite was doing work for me.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Did the Abyss level gen change in trunk? Because this has happened to me three times on my current dive so far (abyss:1 twice and once in a:2)

i have a bunch of TPs so no big but might be an unfair end for a lower level character

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Stoat posted:

Did the Abyss level gen change in trunk? Because this has happened to me three times on my current dive so far (abyss:1 twice and once in a:2)

i have a bunch of TPs so no big but might be an unfair end for a lower level character

Did Abyss change so that the walls don't shift anymore? It used to be that if you ended up in a closet like that you could wait a while and eventually the walls would open up.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Did Abyss change so that the walls don't shift anymore? It used to be that if you ended up in a closet like that you could wait a while and eventually the walls would open up.

It still does. An enclosure like that would be a short-lived relief.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

unrelated to anything else if I start as Gl with the helmet that looks like an ugly mummy sarcophagus head, I just hit ctrl-q. and one or two other ugly helmets, and that one dark blue shield. idk if anyone else does this but goddamn I just don't wanna look bad for probably the rest of the game if I can easily help it

This is part of why I play using the revenant tile. It's one of the few cool monster tiles that works well with weapons/shields, revenants are super uncommon enemies so you don't lose your guy in the crowd, and the revenant tile is sweet.

Speaking of, question: Is there any way to customise your player tile when you change form? The revenant tile would also be really sweet for lichform.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

How long does it even confuse you for?
Not sure, but it really doesn't happen much at all in my experience. Like, last time I wore something with it over the course of a 3-rune game I think I got confused like 5-6 times?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

IronicDongz posted:

Not sure, but it really doesn't happen much at all in my experience. Like, last time I wore something with it over the course of a 3-rune game I think I got confused like 5-6 times?

It depends how hard you get hit, I think? Or that might be just for odds of it firing.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I used *confuse on an AE and the self damage from chain lightning can trigger it. Despite that and getting hit dozens of times by CL every fight I almost never got confused, and even when it happened it was only for a couple turns.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
My only experience with *confuse was on the most absurd randart weapon I've ever seen, the +11 Double Sword of Magnificence {speed, *confuse rF++ MR+} and it never confused me even using it from Lair 1 to the rest of a 3 rune game. Won me my first game.

Of course, I had also just quaffed benemut on the same floor and gotten innate clarity.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So I've finally started trying to play casters and I realise that EV is going to be my primary mode of dontdie. The question is, where do I get more EV. I'm training Dodging (currently at 13), I'm just wearing a +2 robe, and I have a +4 ring of evasion. This gives me an EV of 22, and I found a great pair of +4 boots with rcorr and MR+ that has a dexterity penalty of -4. I take them off and my EV only pops up to 25. Does that Ev sound about right for snake/shoals? What kind of EV should I be aiming for for Vaults and Depths?

Not like it matters, just got shock serpented in 3 turns while I tried to switch from my rPois buckler to my rElec buckler. Wish I'd had a blink scroll.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 11, 2016

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

So I've finally started trying to play casters and I realise that EV is going to be my primary mode of dontdie. The question is, where do I get more EV. I'm training Dodging (currently at 13), I'm just wearing a +2 robe, and I have a +4 ring of evasion. This gives me an EV of 22, and I found a great pair of +4 boots with rcorr and MR+ that has a dexterity penalty of -4. I take them off and my EV only pops up to 25. Does that Ev sound about right for snake/shoals? What kind of EV should I be aiming for for Vaults and Depths?

You get EV from dodging and dex. Most people go all in on int for casters however, so dodging only. I'd keep the boots on. What's your AC? Don't feel you have to stick to robes. Anything up to ring mail or equivalent is fine if you have the strength for it.

e. too late, dead

ThermosAquaticus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 11, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
pathetic little tramp you left a ghost in snake with orb of destruction, poison arrow and a distortion weapon that has shown up in my game. a pox upon your house

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hey if you're gonna keep making weird/bad changes to spider bag/box of beasts, can you at least make them still spew out monsters even on the 1/4 chance that they get destroyed? I've had way too many experiences with them exploding on the first use and essentially wasting my turn/time which honestly feels like complete bullshit and is stupid.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

pathetic little tramp you left a ghost in snake with orb of destruction, poison arrow and a distortion weapon that has shown up in my game. a pox upon your house

Oh right I forgot about the distortion great mace that I weild-IDed and Vehu just gave me pArrow and OoD just got to no miscast penalty, so yeah, that's a bad one, sorry. Really shouldn't have splatted that guy so early but I underestimate shock serpents like it's an illness.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

My first ever more-than-3-rune ascention!!. Only took, like, 7 years.

And MAN post-game needs a rework because diving pan floors for hours drained so much enthusiasm out of me I didn't even bother with Hell, which I think I could've done.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah i've said this before, but pan can be kinda ok sometimes, and just the loving worst slog other times. like when I went through somewhere around 40 floors until I found demonic rune this tournament, it just gets so dull when that happens. raise the chance of it generating by 10% each floor until it hits 100%, tbqh

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Someone Awful! posted:

Hey if you're gonna keep making weird/bad changes to spider bag/box of beasts, can you at least make them still spew out monsters even on the 1/4 chance that they get destroyed? I've had way too many experiences with them exploding on the first use and essentially wasting my turn/time which honestly feels like complete bullshit and is stupid.

done.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

thanks, i actually really appreciate it :)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

:D

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Noice.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's halfling done. I should have won Ha long ago, I had so many runs with great stuff that I threw away for no reason. Including two runs with lajatangs of speed! no excuse whatsoever

only Deep Elf, Felid, Kobold, Naga, and Octopode left :negative: at least kobold is fine, and I already did mummy a while ago

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Re: Hell, why not just fill levels 1-6 with test spawners, creating a mass of monsters that give no experience when killed?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
And right after halfling, ez kobold win! I forgot how goddamn good makhelb is. I used lesser servant so many times(it's so good)

that's a 2-streak I wasn't expecting. not likely to last, though, considering the species I have yet to win with

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Re: Hell, why not just fill levels 1-6 with test spawners, creating a mass of monsters that give no experience when killed?

Because this isn't Gauntlet. :colbert:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19-a0-599-g723c685 (webtiles) character file.

wormsofcan the Grand Gadgeteer (Kobold Hunter)     Turns: 69057, Time: 04:36:48

Health: 164/164    AC: 22    Str: 22    XL:     25   Next: 86%
Magic:  37/37      EV: 36    Int:  7    God:    Pakellas [******]
Gold:   1010       SH: 16    Dex: 23    Spells: 6 memorised, 5 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +    a - +9 hand crossbow of Gulil {flame, rPois}
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    A - +5 ring mail "Xyfuadd" {Slay+4}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    S - +2 shield
rPois  +          Spirit   .    Z - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Slay+3 SInv}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    j - +1 cloak of Inaction {rElec Slay+3}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    D - +1 pair of gloves of Resourcefulness {rElec MR- Slay+5 Stlth+}
SustAt .          Harm     .    i - +2 pair of boots of the Secret Cities {+Inv MR+ SInv}
MR     +++..                    r - amulet of regeneration
Stlth  +++++++++.               K - ring "Hiojaett" {rC+ MR+ Dex+4}
                                B - ring "Ihouch" {EV+5 Str+2 Slay+2}
:wtc:

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Hypothetically speaking, if I should happen to have written an 80k word novel with more than a few nods the Crawl, would you guys be interested in a few chapters, assuming I'm not breaking any contracts?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

After realizing that Okaasan means 'mother' in Japanese, and playing too many Okawaru worshippers, I've started saying "thanks, mom", when Oka gifts me something useless-but-well-meaning.

"Here, son, I got you this!"
code:
D  - +0 robe of the Peasant (Str+2, Int -5, Dex+3)
"...thanks, Mom."

I just realized it actually works even better because I always wear it once to save ID scrolls just to be polite.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Can Of Worms posted:

code:

wormsofcan the Grand Gadgeteer (Kobold Hunter)     Turns: 69057, Time: 04:36:48

Health: 164/164    AC: 22    Str: 22    XL:     25   Next: 86%
Magic:  37/37      EV: 36    Int:  7    God:    Pakellas [******]
Gold:   1010       SH: 16    Dex: 23    Spells: 6 memorised, 5 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +    a - +9 hand crossbow of Gulil {flame, rPois}
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    A - +5 ring mail "Xyfuadd" {Slay+4}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    S - +2 shield
rPois  +          Spirit   .    Z - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Slay+3 SInv}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    j - +1 cloak of Inaction {rElec Slay+3}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    D - +1 pair of gloves of Resourcefulness {rElec MR- Slay+5 Stlth+}
SustAt .          Harm     .    i - +2 pair of boots of the Secret Cities {+Inv MR+ SInv}
MR     +++..                    r - amulet of regeneration
Stlth  +++++++++.               K - ring "Hiojaett" {rC+ MR+ Dex+4}
                                B - ring "Ihouch" {EV+5 Str+2 Slay+2}
:wtc:
Slay+17, banned.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Doomtalker posted:

Hypothetically speaking, if I should happen to have written an 80k word novel with more than a few nods the Crawl, would you guys be interested in a few chapters, assuming I'm not breaking any contracts?

gently caress yes?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

IronicDongz posted:

That's halfling done. I should have won Ha long ago, I had so many runs with great stuff that I threw away for no reason. Including two runs with lajatangs of speed! no excuse whatsoever

only Deep Elf, Felid, Kobold, Naga, and Octopode left :negative: at least kobold is fine, and I already did mummy a while ago

I loving swear by Naga wizard. Even more than other races, blink and meph are goddamn stupid good on a race with great stats, great abilities, and garbage movement.

(Rip level 1 constrict, Naga wizard was my second ever win and my first with >4 runes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Naga^C is on my list of things I'm gonna be ascending 'soon'.

• Locked thread