Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Someone should combine the two graphs here, so I can use it to rub into peoples faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

bear in mind that total debt doesn't actually matter; it is your ability to service that debt that matters.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hillary has a better chance at winning 400-450+ EVs than the Democrats retaking the House. The House is Gerrymandered as gently caress and heavily in the GOP's favor.

The best shot the Democrats have at retaking the House in the next decade or so is to get a SCOTUS majority that agrees Gerrymandering is a thing that needs to be struck down and then make sure a court case ends up in their lap so that they can do exactly that while forcing the states to use a system similar to California so that we don't end up with situations like in NC where a majority vote for Dems but the GOP take a super majority of seats.

The wildcard is that if Hillary is stomping Trump a significant portion of the GOP electorate probably just won't show up because why vote for a loser, while a higher than normal proportion of the Democratic electorate in red states will turn out because they are really excited for the opportunity to vote for a winner.

But it has to be a stomping. If it is just "it might be close!" you get a spike in GOP turnout with people voting to keep the democrats from winning.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well this just happened in Cleveland.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

downout posted:

I saw a good post somewhere the other day that pointed out that when people talk about the debt it's under the framing of "each U.S. citizen owes 43K" or something like that. But that completely ignores that if doing the math in that manner, then that citizen also owns part of the roads, land, buildings, etc that make up the U.S. It seems obvious, but for some reason that never dawned on me.

Yeah the correct response to "Your share of the national debt is 43k" is

A. That's not how the debt works, and
B. Even if that was how it works, that 43k in debt got me several million dollars worth of roads, ports, education, tanks, ect ect.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Yeah the correct response to "Your share of the national debt is 43k" is

A. That's not how the debt works, and
B. Even if that was how it works, that 43k in debt got me several million dollars worth of roads, ports, education, tanks, ect ect.

I get that now, and I'm not sure why I didn't get it before. But it reminds me of why many people freak out about the national debt. I actually think this image is one of the best:

Ultimately, GDP is incredibly important to debt evaluations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If the GOP goes all in on Trump and he gets Mondale'd it will take them decades to recover.

Why exactly would it take them decades to recover?

Wouldn't a non-presidential election cycle restore most if not all of their numbers?

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 11, 2016

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Star Man posted:

As much as we'd all like to see a few blood-red Republican states turn for the presidential election, it will be for that one elction and only for the predisdent.

A lot of the states Reagan flipped were only for one election and only for the president.

The point is to create a defeat so devastating and demoralizing that the moderate and extreme wings start fighting each other and hampering the entire party's ability to implement policy even when they have seats.

Imagine a world where GOP candidates fear the moderate wing in the primaries instead of the wingnuts.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Alabama's house majority leader found guilty on twelve of twenty three corruption charges.

http://m.oanow.com/news/breaking-hubbard-found-guilty-on-of-felony-ethics-charges/article_d2b7f8ea-2f75-11e6-9d3c-37bc43154d6f.html?mode=jqm

The previous governor Bob Riley will probably be next, then the current governor Bentley(though probably not until his term is done). The current supreme Court justice is also currently suspended for violating federal orders on gay marriage. You may remember him as the judge who got impeached for violating federal court decisions on a ten commandments idol. He was removed from office, but he just ran again and was elected again.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/06/mike_hubbard_is_guilty_but_tha.html another much more snarky article that unfortunately confuses the word prosecution and persecution a couple of times but is more entertaining overall.

greatn fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 11, 2016

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Uh oh guys
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...03255&tid=ss_fb

quote:

The party of Lincoln is dying
I hear the Democrats are losing their grip on the Solid South so that could be true!!

(I know Mugwump-chat is supposed to go in YCS but I'm so sick of Clevelandians and their superior attitudes)

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 11, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Academician Nomad posted:

Uh oh guys
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...03255&tid=ss_fb

I hear the Democrats are losing their grip on the Solid South so that could be true!!

(I know Mugwump-chat is supposed to go in YCS but I'm so sick of Clevelandians and their superior attitudes)
I love the last line

quote:

The process of unendorsing Trump is humiliating, but only for a moment. The honor of choosing rightly, when it mattered most, will endure.

edit: but boy howdy is the author naive about the state of the party before Trump.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
They knew, they just wanted the dog whistles longer.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

I love the last line

I'm partial to this one:

quote:

many of us will never be able to think about the Republican Party in quite the same way again. It still carries many of the ideological convictions I share. Collectively, however, it has failed one of the most basic tests of public justice: Don’t support racists — or candidates who appeal to racism — for public office. If this commitment is not a primary, non-negotiable element of Republican identity, then the party of Lincoln is dead.

A poo poo ton of moderate republicans couldn't see through dog whistles and thought progressives were making them up to slander their candidates. No amount of apathy or disinterest can explain away trump and seeing certain members of their tribe revel in it is profoundly shocking. That those people are numerous enough to win the primary even more so.

We are going to see a poo poo ton of "I didn't leave the Republican Party, the Republican Party left me" in the next few months.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: but boy howdy is the author naive about the state of the party before Trump.

The party of Lincoln has been dead for longer than the 32¾ years I've been on this lamentably un-gay earth. 2016 is simply the year the coffin is being lowered.

But yes, that whole article is in serious denial about what the Republican party has been for at least the past 40 years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gyges posted:

Must suck to be someone who voted for Scotland to stay in the UK and then have the UK leave the EU. Assuming Scotland isn't a hive of anti-EU voting.

From what I understand, the consensus is that a successful Brexit would reignite a lot of the Scottish Independence fire since Scots in general have a better opinion of Europe/are more likely to perceive a net benefit to EU membership/haven't been steeped in decades' worth of immigrant panic.

If Britain leaves the EU it's possible that Scotland leaves Britain with the goal of rejoining it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

So this is something I've been wondering about for a while, there seems to be a long term trend in US politics where we have a fair amount of debt but we seem to have no loving money to spend on anything. Our roads and bridges are crumbling, our higher education no longer receives much state backing, and now I just heard on the radio that public schools are seeing the worst funding situation that they have ever seen. Meanwhile we seem to have a lot more debt than we have in recent history.

I get that we're probably taking in less tax revenue then we have in previous times but is that the whole story? It seems like every single part of our budget at every level is nonstop austerity yet fiscally we're still in a lovely situation.

Yes and no. As others mentioned we had the 2008 crisis along with a bunch of other economically turbulent events. And like others have mentioned, we still don't tax the rich as much as we should and we really need to cut defense spending.

What you're seeing here is America going through an Economic Vicious Cycle. We get debt, we employ austerity measures, our economy shrinks and our quality of life worsens but we don't enact major changes to taxes and spending so we take more debt. This is a purely self-inflicted hell and we have no loving reason to be in it, but there you go.
If we stopped being stupid, we'd honestly have no reason to shrink the debt (though I expect it would shrink by its own self) anyway. We take debt, we use it to fund programs to expand the economy and improve the quality of life, thus we need to take on less debt next time around. Or we can take on more debt because gently caress it we can do even better. That's an Economic Virtuous Cycle.

The issue is that you will never be able to explain this to someone because the idea that you need to spend money to reduce debt is very, very hard to wrap one's brain around.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Speaking of weird names, I am amazed that the Republican attack machine never found it interesting that Barack Obama's mother's name was STANLEY.

stanley is a boy's name, what are you hiding Obama????

That would require doing oppo instead of making poo poo up. 20+ years of the bullshit bubble has atrophied the gops fact finding apparatus.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

there wolf posted:

This particular slap fight is getting tiresome. Let's switch to a different channel. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/magazine/choosing-a-school-for-my-daughter-in-a-segregated-city.html?smid=tw-nytmag&smtyp=cur&_r=0 Excellent article on the impact of segregation on schools with a heavy focus on New York and the writers own struggle with where to send her daughter.

This post was a valiant failed effort, although the article itself is a professional click. School segregation is a really interesting issue and the author makes tons of good points.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Electric Bugaloo posted:

From what I understand, the consensus is that a successful Brexit would reignite a lot of the Scottish Independence fire since Scots in general have a better opinion of Europe/are more likely to perceive a net benefit to EU membership/haven't been steeped in decades' worth of immigrant panic.

If Britain leaves the EU it's possible that Scotland leaves Britain with the goal of rejoining it.

Amusingly the EU gave a cold shoulder on Scottish indie designs on rejoining the EU after leaving the UK because EU member states (mostly Spain) have their own independence movement problems and they didn't want to legitimize them, but if the UK dumps the EU first, then I would imagine Scotland would be welcomed with open arms.

And yes it pretty much boils down to "wily Poles are coming here to steal our jobs and live on our dole." The Brexit movement's leaders are ultra-right Tories and UKIP's Nigel loving Farage. There are hundreds of thousands of Britons in the EU stealing everyone else's jobs, it'll be interesting to see what happens to them. The only good thing coming out of Brexit will be that it will utterly destroy Cameron's legacy as a so-called statesman, since he promised the referendum as an electoral expedient.

Tacking back to the topic, Obama visited the UK a while ago and held a speech on why the UK should stay in the EU and how there won't be a sweetheart deal between the UK and the US separately. But it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I love the last line

Been seeing a bunch of opeds that are basically "Bigotry?? In the REPUBLICAN party??? :monocle:". Not sure if the pundits writing them are totally ignorant or willfully dishonest but it's getting really irritating and knowing how the party works I would not be surprised if it's a top down attempt the distance Trump from the party by muddying the water.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 11, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

That's why it was cool to see Warren go full bore on "You guys do realize Trump is a Republican, but just honest about it" and tying the Curiel thing to the Republican sabotage of the judiciary in general.

She doesn't need to be the VP candidate to snipe at Trump and the GOP.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Antti posted:

And yes it pretty much boils down to "wily Poles are coming here to steal our jobs and live on our dole." The Brexit movement's leaders are ultra-right Tories and UKIP's Nigel loving Farage. There are hundreds of thousands of Britons in the EU stealing everyone else's jobs, it'll be interesting to see what happens to them. The only good thing coming out of Brexit will be that it will utterly destroy Cameron's legacy as a so-called statesman, since he promised the referendum as an electoral expedient.

In case anyone thinks this is an exaggeration (crossposting from the UK thread):

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, e.g. the 350 million is the gross. So it excludes all the money coming back to the UK.

Turkey joining the EU is a joke given that the visa waiver agreement is already on the rocks because Erdogan doesn't want to reinstate press freedoms. Albania? Serbia? Really? It took forever just to bring in Croatia. And admittance has to be unanimous! The UK can't actually do poo poo about EU membership if they're outside of the EU. They'll be like Norway: they just have to take everything dictated by the EU if they want to do business with it.

We laugh at the US electorate but the UK electorate is not really much better.

I wrote a paper in uni on the 2005 French referendum on the proposed EU constitution and the French voters did way more legwork on finding out what the proposed constitution actually was and what the impact of rejecting or accepting it would be.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If the Leave vote succeeds but it comes out that a majority of Scotland, Wales or NI voted Remain, poo poo would really hit the fan.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

UrbicaMortis posted:

If the Leave vote succeeds but it comes out that a majority of Scotland, Wales or NI voted Remain, poo poo would really hit the fan.

This is exactly what will happen if it's anywhere close. Northern Ireland will probably be a clear Remain because of the shared border with Ireland.

England has been dragging the UK down with it for a while now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So what's the big deal if they do split?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

greatn posted:

World War 3

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Is QE2 gonna take back what's hers by divine right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

greatn posted:

The UK suddenly loses most of its cushy trade deals with the economic superpower on its doorstep - and since so many countries have been using the UK as their gateway to the EU via those deals, that means bad news for an appreciable chunk of the world. That's also ignoring what it does to confidence in the economic superpower in question, the EU, meaning that people will start getting leery about investing in big beasts like Germany or France. There could be a seriously alarming ripple effect here.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Antti posted:

Yeah, e.g. the 350 million is the gross. So it excludes all the money coming back to the UK.

Turkey joining the EU is a joke given that the visa waiver agreement is already on the rocks because Erdogan doesn't want to reinstate press freedoms. Albania? Serbia? Really? It took forever just to bring in Croatia. And admittance has to be unanimous! The UK can't actually do poo poo about EU membership if they're outside of the EU. They'll be like Norway: they just have to take everything dictated by the EU if they want to do business with it.

It should also be noted that the EU has given quite good deals to Norway and Switzerland which might be seen as a preferable alternative. However, as it turns out it doesn't really make people want to join more - it just makes it easier to not join. Those deals would not be made today and if Britain leaves there will be every incentive to demonstrate why membership is beneficial.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Darth Walrus posted:

The UK suddenly loses most of its cushy trade deals with the economic superpower on its doorstep - and since so many countries have been using the UK as their gateway to the EU via those deals, that means bad news for an appreciable chunk of the world. That's also ignoring what it does to confidence in the economic superpower in question, the EU, meaning that people will start getting leery about investing in big beasts like Germany or France. There could be a seriously alarming ripple effect here.

I thought Ireland was the English speaking EU gateway of choice these days, or is that only for tech firms?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Anos posted:

It should also be noted that the EU has given quite good deals to Norway and Switzerland which might be seen as a preferable alternative. However, as it turns out it doesn't really make people want to join more - it just makes it easier to not join. Those deals would not be made today and if Britain leaves there will be every incentive to demonstrate why membership is beneficial.

And they don't get any transactions or anything. They have been in the EFTA since forever. And they are both, notably, in Schengen and in the freedom of movement arrangement. So it's very difficult to unlink freedom of movement, which is the Brexiteers' main selling point, and the trade package.

The UK may be forced to join Schengen when they change their minds and rejoin in the 2020s, instead of the current special snowflake setup! Assuming Schengen is still around and hasn't been demolished by the end of this year

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft338yltVLE

loving Poles fixing things.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure the mainstream belief is just "wash your hands before the next time you pray" which you'd do anyway because ew, raw bacon. You can ask a thousand imams and you'll get a thousand different answers.

Yeah, muslims aren't any more a hive mind than Christians are. Some even *gulp* drink alcohol! :gonk: Which would be a far funnier nazi tactic - leaving cases of Jack Daniels at the mosque doorstep to tempt the weak...

Off topic, but I'm very fond of the story of how coffee spread through the islamic world and through there to the rest of the world, as it wasn't an easy trip politically or religiously:

quote:

As the Quran forbids Muslims from drinking alcohol, the soothing, cheering and stimulating effects of coffee made it a popular substitute in Islamic countries for wine. The first coffeehouses are said to have been established in Mecca (Saudi Arabia). Known as the Kaveh Kanes, they were public places where Muslims could socialize and discuss religious matters.

The relationship between Islam and coffee has not always run smoothly though. Some Muslims believed coffee was an intoxicant and therefore is banned by Islamic law. In 1511, the governor of Mecca, Khair Beg, saw some worshippers drinking coffee in a mosque as they prepared for a night-long prayer vigil. Angered, he drove them from the mosque and ordered all coffeehouses in Mecca to be closed. This incited the pro-coffee Muslims and a heated debate soon ensued. In this dispute, two unscrupulous Persian doctors, the Hakimani brothers, who were infamous for testifying on the side of the highest bidder, condemned coffee as an unhealthy brew. The doctors had good reason for wanted it banned, for it was popular cure among the depressed patients who would otherwise have paid the doctors to cure them. The matter was only resolved when the Sultan of Cairo, Khair Beg's superior, intervened, demanding that a drink that was widely enjoyed in Cairo should not have been banned without his permission. Khair Beg soon paid for his insolence. In 1512, he was accused of embezzlement and the Sultan sentenced him to death.

By the late 16th Century, the use of coffee was widespread throughout the Arabia, North Africa and Turkey. The nutritional benefits of coffee were thought to be so great that coffee was considered as important as bread and water. So much so that a law was passed in Turkey making it grounds for divorce if a husband refused his wife coffee.

:love::coffee:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I thought Ireland was the English speaking EU gateway of choice these days, or is that only for tech firms?

Mostly customer support for tech firms.
Irish Corporation tax levels are nearly half than the UK, so if you can abuse it its better to base your operations in the Irish Republic.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Anos posted:

Souns lahk abooncha rich fooks goona gi' was' comin

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought it was more that Irish tax law was friendly to inversions so you didn't have to maintain staff or do actual work there, just operate our of Ireland on paper.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

This is my all time favorite stand up bit.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Antti posted:

It also includes money we never even send. The British rebate (roughly £5 billion) is removed from what we owe before it is even paid.

Edit: Also trump was right, without a wall immigrants foreign politics chat has invaded the USUSPOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

haveblue posted:

I thought it was more that Irish tax law was friendly to inversions so you didn't have to maintain staff or do actual work there, just operate our of Ireland on paper.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/taxanalysts/2013/11/06/if-ireland-is-not-a-tax-haven-what-is-it/#66ad40953355

Explains it here. Its not like Cayman Islands or such where you can rent a post box just, you have to have an operating business in the country.
But you can shift your tax from Ireland to a haven for extra fuckery.

• Locked thread