Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

inthesto posted:

For a second, I was worried that geop would lay waste to the boss so quickly we wouldn't get to see phase 2 :ohdear:
Geop's inherent caution works in the LP's favor sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm completely baffled by how he got surprised by the turtledude but turned around just in time to take on the bumrush on the giant sword.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That was a really nice fight against the Giant. The Mace tore through his HP much faster than I expected. Apparently I should've been using strike weapons this whole game instead of the Fire Longsword!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SynthOrange posted:

I'm completely baffled by how he got surprised by the turtledude but turned around just in time to take on the bumrush on the giant sword.

I don't think he really got surprised by the old ironclad. Their roll back attack is surprisingly hard to dodge because it comes out very fast. In fact, once you get good at rolling, it becomes their most dangerous attack. Generally you just want to circle around to their side or front for that reason, and the one in the elevator faces forward to accommodate this. I have no idea why the one in Geop's game decided to turn around. Maybe it caught a glimpse of him.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

FPzero posted:

That was a really nice fight against the Giant. The Mace tore through his HP much faster than I expected. Apparently I should've been using strike weapons this whole game instead of the Fire Longsword!

You remember how From forgot to put lightning resistance in Dark Souls 1?

It's like that here, except instead of an element you don't get until past the midpoint, it's a damage type you can start with or get relatively early.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

FPzero posted:

The mace wrecks a whole lot for the first half or third of the game for PVE, but the fire longsword stays pretty consistently solid for PVP for way longer. If you were dealing with other players a bunch, it was a good choice. Eventually the game will catch up to the mace, though it's going to take a while.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MGlBlaze posted:

That's kind of a whole other problem with the game as a whole, really. I mentioned it before but Dark Souls 2's health system is poorly balanced. In Demon's Souls enemies were balanced around your half-health soul form so things would never be too unreasonable. Dark Souls 1 did away with that entirely except for the Curse status effect, which is a really terrible thing to have happen to you and takes #1 priority on curing if you are unfortunate enough to get hit by it. Dark Souls 2 kind of throws the idea out the window so if you end up getting down to minimum health, and you have no Human Effigies, you're kinda up poo poo creek. Outside of some exceptional circumstances or very specific things (Like, say, managing to go into an area FAR beyond where you should be. Though even then I don't think many things will one-shot a new character in Dark Souls 1 if you go right to Blight Town), nothing should one-shot you ever. That's kinda just a symptom of poor/weak/sloppy design.

Dark Souls 2 has some neat ideas but a lot of the level and encounter design is rather poor. We've seen a few examples of the usual "bum-rush the player with a group of enemies" tactic a bunch already, for instance.

use the gosh dang soapstones

incidentally this is also a solution for the "i wanna grind but extinction sucks!" problem

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Looper posted:

use the gosh dang soapstones

incidentally this is also a solution for the "i wanna grind but extinction sucks!" problem

Yeah, things will drop for you even in someone else's world. One thing they definitely got right in this game was making phantoming pretty attractive.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The small soapstone in particular was really good because it gave you reason to put down a sign to just help someone through a level, rather than being focused entirely on killing a boss. It's a shame that it didn't come back.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The small soapstone in particular was really good because it gave you reason to put down a sign to just help someone through a level, rather than being focused entirely on killing a boss. It's a shame that it didn't come back.

It's really annoying how DS3 pretty much ignored all of the improvements from DS2.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Did we just see Goonther throw a firebomb into that guy's hole-face like an NBA pro scores a three point shot?

Because I think that's exactly what we saw.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I am pretty sure the game doesn't ever just spawn guys in from nowhere, the surprise elevator turtle is there the whole time chilling on the lower level. What I can't remember, though, is whether he steps off when he gets to the top - I think I remember coming back up after beating the boss and narrowly rolling away from a club to the face.

Also it's possible for the ballista facing out the door of the gangbang room to miss that sword hollow and go flying into the courtyard opposite, blowing up all the barrels. Glorious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, Goonther was just looking the wrong way and didnt see the other elevator going up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Crazy Achmed posted:

I am pretty sure the game doesn't ever just spawn guys in from nowhere, the surprise elevator turtle is there the whole time chilling on the lower level. What I can't remember, though, is whether he steps off when he gets to the top - I think I remember coming back up after beating the boss and narrowly rolling away from a club to the face.

Same, minus the rolling away.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also it's possible for the ballista facing out the door of the gangbang room to miss that sword hollow and go flying into the courtyard opposite, blowing up all the barrels. Glorious.

If you can figure out which one hits the barrels you can activate it and just waltz right through that courtyard. Also it took me forever to figure out where that turtle guy had come from. A couple times (but not every time) I would come back from killing the boss and he would just suddenly be there at the top. I was so confused.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I tried starting up DS2 again but almost gave up pretty early in. I'd forgotten how bad the hairstyles were :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hairstyles maybe, but it's got the One True Mustache. All it's missing is a size slider for facial hair.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah, things will drop for you even in someone else's world. One thing they definitely got right in this game was making phantoming pretty attractive.

The only drops I've ever got while phantoming were life gems. Scholar btw.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You can allegedly get a mission success in DS3 co-op via timer according to the wiki; it never happened to me when I was playing, though, and I did a lot of co-op. You always either die or get sent home by the host first.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Laputanmachine posted:

The only drops I've ever got while phantoming were life gems. Scholar btw.
This is true except for some special areas in the DLCs. Still a great way to stock up and boost yourself when struggling early on.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Btw Geop, Gwyndolin was the tsundere ladyboy prince(ss). Gwynevere was the sun princess with Amazing Chest.

From being Japanese, there is a non-zero chance of Date Souls. Invade other player's dates and steal their waifu!

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Genocyber posted:

This would be the case if not for them including the Cling Ring equivalent (also the small white soapstone but not everyone will be able to take advantage of that, of course).

I suppose that is true, really. There are some mitigating factors. Also apparently Human Effigies drop much more frequently in SOTFS according to some other people.

I still feel that the fact that it's a possibility is kinda poor design and I maintain that getting one-shot should not be a possibility. But oh well.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 11, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I had like 40+ when I finished this game and I didn't coop or grind them out.
After a certain point they're handed out like candy.

The mace might not last the whole game but Strike damage is still king throughout.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
Even if it does end up being able to last, I would like to see Geop try out stuff after a while. Maybe once upgrade materials can be bought in large quantities for upgrading.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I mean that more like strike damage still has an advantage over the rest so the mace does fall off but other blunt weapons still have an advantage.

I know Geop will play around with different equipment though.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Laputanmachine posted:

Btw Geop, Gwyndolin was the tsundere ladyboy prince(ss). Gwynevere was the sun princess with Amazing Chest.

From being Japanese, there is a non-zero chance of Date Souls. Invade other player's dates and steal their waifu!

What the gently caress is this post

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Laputanmachine posted:

There have been competitive dating games. Get Tiffany, was one, which had a video uploaded way back in the Days of Viddler, where it's all of the players trying to raise their affection with her and you could actively sabotage the others' turns with items.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Oh, something I felt merited mentioning. Like they said, Melentia will give you an item after you spend enough with her, but she won't just give it to you out of the blue, you have to select 'Talk' from the menu. It's more than just her, too, so be sure to talk with every merchant you spend alot of souls at.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GeneX posted:

I think they made a joke about DS4 having a dating sim in and someone mentioned one of the Gwyns and was obviously talking about the giant lady one.

And since Japan is like the only country that's popularly known to have dating sims it's a joke that there's probably a dating sim game like Dark Souls where you invade people's worlds and steal their women like you're Bowser and they're all Princess Peach.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

I think they made a joke about DS4 having a dating sim in and someone mentioned one of the Gwyns and was obviously talking about the giant lady one.

And since Japan is like the only country that's popularly known to have dating sims it's a joke that there's probably a dating sim game like Dark Souls where you invade people's worlds and steal their women like you're Bowser and they're all Princess Peach.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can we talk about npc questlines and how to advance them/get their "good" endings? Because that's all kinds of annoying.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dote Up a Frampt

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

double nine posted:

Can we talk about npc questlines and how to advance them/get their "good" endings? Because that's all kinds of annoying.

I'd say that's spoilers but you are right them being annoying. The way of advancing questlines is just handled way better in the other souls games.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rubberduke posted:

I'd say that's spoilers but you are right them being annoying. The way of advancing questlines is just handled way better in the other souls games.

DS3 thread is that way ---->

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

double nine posted:

uh yeah in the games dark souls 2 thread

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

someone help me

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

double nine posted:

It's a Dark Souls Tradition!

Also no, we're not even close to those sections yet to really chat about it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Golden Goat posted:

It's a Dark Souls Tradition!

Also no, we're not even close to those sections yet to really chat about it.

C'mon, this LP might not make it if we don't all pull together and spoil it before Geop's panel can.

For real though, I didn't even know that giant could plop on the ground like that. He just checked out for a minute.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

C'mon, this LP might not make it if we don't all pull together and spoil it before Geop's panel can.

For real though, I didn't even know that giant could plop on the ground like that. He just checked out for a minute.

Yeah I'm so used to sticking behind or under this guy that I barely see attacks that aren't the stomps. He also has an attack with the ripped off arm that sweeps behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Dark Souls has always been a dating sim. I mean, there's only a single optional romance NPC per game, but in keeping with the franchise theme of expositional minimalism, the two affectionate lines you get out of Solaire would be a full length rom-com blockbuster anywhere else.

• Locked thread